Lawyer Sues Over "Seizure Triggers" in Videogames

Robert0288

Jun 10, 2008
In every game I've ever bought I've always seen a warning that the game may cause sizures. Game companies are covered. Lawsuit will go nowhere.

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
Video Games have warnings on them....seriously.

I knew I couldn't get through the day without hearing something stupid.

HandsomeJack

Jul 17, 2009
I despise how lawyers phrase these cases like they are tragic heroes forced into a moral crusade against the tyranny of Sauron...

There was a similar case not so long ago reguarding peanuts, since there are people allergic to them and companies had the GAUL to still make products containing them...pfft. If you are allergic to peanuts, pay attention the the ingredients in the foods you eat. If you are seizure prone, research your video games.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
Allow me to beat a dead horse by once again saying that computer games include seziure warnings, and have for a VERY long time. I remember seeing warnings on N64 and PlayStation games; hell, even gameboy games. Manuals are there to provide more than instructions on how to play.

Besides, how exactly does he suggest seizure causes to be eliminated in games? Things that ostensibly have bright or flashing lights through inherent visual design to make it feel like the player is actually doing something; from a flash of sparks as a sword strikes an enemy to muzzle-flashes on guns, to flashes from grenades or other explosions, generic visual effects in any game.

It would be impossible to remove all these causes without measurably reducing the entertainment and immersion value games hold for the players. They are there, and have been for a long time, for a reason.

Not to sound insensitive to the people who end up having seizures because of them, because I really do feel for them, but there really isn't much that can be realistically done about it.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
Starke said:
The_Oracle said:
...I'm not quite sure how to feel about this, honestly. On one hand, we don't need more lawyers running around suing video game companies for silly reasons, but this lawyer's reason seems somewhat legit.

More investigation may be required if we're going to find out whether this man's our friend or foe, and whether or not these seizures are common enough to reinforce his case.
The catch is, most games today do carry a siezure warning, if he's targeting titles from 7 years ago? I don't remember, honestly, if they had warnings back then.

I'm inclined to think that these incidents aren't really that common, but we'll find out soon enough, I guess.
Everything from at least the PS1 days has had the warnings, not sure about the 16 bit era though.

He's just after money and thinks this will be an easy way to get it.

Faeanor

Dec 15, 2007
Malygris said:
"Players may experience small lapses in consciousness
Clearly I'm owed money by much more than videos. Most notably every school I've ever stepped inside.

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
Wait, wouldn't it technically be the kid's fault? I mean, they should have read the warning on the game saying that it was cause seizures. That's my thought, and I'm sure they didn't know.

Anyways, at least this lawyer's reason for sueing something in the video game is semi-legit. At least, more legit than, "OMG! A GUY GETS KILLED IN A GAME! WE MUST ZZUE CAUZ TH3Y BE T00 VIOLENT!"

Robert632

May 11, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
I dunno if it's still the case with Nintendo, but the Gamecube was notorious about it's safety warnings. They were at the start of every game, plus included an insert in every box.
now they show the warning screen when you turn the system on, plus on some of the games, plus i think it's in the manuels, to.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Starke said:
The catch is, most games today do carry a siezure warning, if he's targeting titles from 7 years ago? I don't remember, honestly, if they had warnings back then.
Not sure how far back they go but I do remember PS1 titles having seizure warnings...I even think older games had warnings in their manuals but since I dont have a 10 year old game manual to look at I'm not 100% sure.

OT: Doubt this will go anywhere. He might as well target movies, tv, film strips, hell kids who make colorful picture books...moving pictures, period, can cause seizures. Theres a reason games have the warning on them.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I think if they had a warning about the seizures then they're covered.

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
Starke said:
The_Oracle said:
...I'm not quite sure how to feel about this, honestly. On one hand, we don't need more lawyers running around suing video game companies for silly reasons, but this lawyer's reason seems somewhat legit.

More investigation may be required if we're going to find out whether this man's our friend or foe, and whether or not these seizures are common enough to reinforce his case.

I'm inclined to think that these incidents aren't really that common, but we'll find out soon enough, I guess.

i believe they do (goes to closet to check the collection)................................................................ yep the first one i checked had a warning game Chrono Cross. its on the first damn page to

neurohazzard

Nov 24, 2007
""The videogame companies know there is a problem, and they choose not to fix it," Kenny said in a press release."
Wait, he expects the game industry to cure epilepsy now? I think there are probably others better suited to do that, like doctors or something. =P

Aug 25, 2009
Don't they have warnings about this on every videogame ever. I thought it was required by law, one of those message things at the beginning or in the manual 'Don't play this if you have a history of seisures.'

If you don't have a known history of seisures, you can't blame the game for it, it could have been set off by anything, you just got unlucky.