Lead the Huns to Victory in Creative Assembly's Total War: Attila

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Lead the Huns to Victory in Creative Assembly's Total War: Attila

Creative Assembly's latest Total War title will focus on the reign of Attila the Hun.

Creative Assembly's Total War series has been a long-running favorite of strategy fans, so they will be happy to hear that the dev just announced the latest entry, Total War: Attila. As the name would imply, Total War: Attila is set during the fall of Rome with an emphasis on the infamous Attila the Hun.

As per course, Total War: Attila will be a PC exclusive, and currently has a release date of "2015". You can check out the reveal trailer, which accompanied the game's announcement at this year's EGX expo, to the right.

Janos Gaspar, lead designer on the project, said "We've brought a darker side of the war to the series," explaining that "If you load into that battle after a [prolonged siege of attrition] you'll see walls are already damaged, there are some fires already started, buildings already destroyed and - later on - defenders start to lose people through starvation."

You'll also have options to do some pretty dastardly stuff outside of battle, like raze your own settlements, causing huge morale decreases, but preventing attackers from capturing and exploiting the infrastructure there.

Gaspar added that elements like this will affect the way battle sequences play out, by increasing or decreasing troops morale and thus their effectiveness in battle.

Senior battle designer Simon Mann described Total War: Attila as a "survival-strategy game", especially for certain factions.

"For example: Rome, you've just got to hold on and try and survive, whereas people like the Saxons are also pushed, they've also got to try and survive."

The game certainly looks very impressive, and for die-hard strategy fans, it may be exactly what they have been waiting for.

Source: Creative Assembly [http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2570106/the_new_total_war_game_is_a_survivalstrategy_game.html]

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Also known by another name: BARBARIAN INVASION 2!

I need to get my Saxon and Frankish conquests rolling. This is gonna be sweet!

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
Seems interesting. I'd personally like to see Total War Ganghis Khan though.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
sb666 said:
Seems interesting. I'd personally like to see Total War Ganghis Khan though.
Strange that the society that came closest to actual total war has so far not had their own game. BUT that said I know why. Its because the Mongols waged war on such a massive scale that it would be difficult to imitate accurately in the game without sacrificing the all important graphics or making it a complicated paradox style game. Whats the point of imitating war if you can't zoom in to the bead of sweat on a dying mans brow, who cares if to get to that fidelity that we have to sacrifice accurate sizes of armies and tactics of the era or sacrifice meaningful context to war, get us to the action. We must see all the blood we must see duals in the middle of battle that could never of actually happened!
I really hated Rome II because it wasn't just bad but it made me realize just how bad the previous titles were which I think is the absolute worst thing a entry can do to its franchise. Its closer to fantasy battles like Lord of the rings then it is to historical battles.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008

But really, they aren't fooling me again after the mess of Rome 2

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Nurb said:

I'm not sure Disney ever realized that the Huns never attacked China.... and that the Huns depicted in Mulan were the Xiongnu nomads.

Were Mongols trademarked or something?

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Nurb said:

I'm not sure Disney ever realized that the Huns never attacked China.... and that the Huns depicted in Mulan were the Xiongnu nomads.

Mongols are harder to fit into songs. Huns are a single syllable and easy to rhyme.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
sturryz said:
yeah seriously, you gonna buy this after Total War Rome 2?
I want to love these games but Creative Assembly has a whole lot of trust they need to earn back. Buggy launches would be more tolerable if they actually managed to improve the formula and/or end their case of consoleitis with all the DLC crap.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
First of all, is this a new game or an expansion for Rome 2?

If it's an expansion, I don't care. Rome 2 missed the point of TW games so hard and still managed to be mediocre at best and utter dogshit at launch. When you streamline and simplify a game, you're expected to make the remaining mechanics and gameplay elements smooth and polished. You don't get to put out a dumbed down game and still have it be bugged to all hell and poorly balanced.

Here's an example from the Total War series itself: Empire: Total War. That game had a ton of bugs and problems. But it also had a slew of new features, a focus on ranged combat not seen in the series before and in general, the bugs and such were somewhat tolerable due to the scale and scope of the thing.

On the other hand, we have Shogun 2. Coming after Empire, it scaled things back, limited the scope of the game and went for a more focused experience. But it then provided a fairly polished, well made product that was a joy to play. Sure, it had less going on than Empire, but it did it much more smoothly.

Rome 2 took the worst of both worlds, providing a scaled down experience compared to many of the earlier games while failing to deliver on the level of quality seen in Shogun 2.

I honestly hope CA learned from Rome 2 and that Atilla will be a return to glory...

small

Aug 5, 2014
Soviet Heavy said:
Also known by another name: BARBARIAN INVASION 2!

I need to get my Saxon and Frankish conquests rolling. This is gonna be sweet!
my thoughts exactly.. hmm barbarian invasion 2

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Stayed up to watch the presentation. Was possibly the least impressive thing they could have unveiled.

Game reeks of 'what Rome 2 should have released like'. Few gimmicky extra features like burning buildings that give armies defending towns a morale hit the longer the battle goes. Oh and the ability to level cities/scorched earth tactics (which should have been in the series ages ago to be honest)

And worst of all, not ONE damn word about their Warhammer game. At the very least they could throw us a bone and say whether it's going to be a Total War style title or not. Sick of getting my hopes up.

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Nurb said:

Or maybe they wanted the Chinese protagonist to win? Not a lot of winning happened against the Mongols...

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
SEGA have forced CA to totally alienated their core player base at this point. Unfortunately I won't be playing this, not until I can finish an hour of Rome 2 without it crashing to desktop, or without a boat travelling across land when it wants to dock, or the AI attempts to defend itself during a siege.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
After the terrible slap in the face that was Rome II, I have trouble justifying buying a Total War game anymore. And that's terrible, because it's one of my favorite franchises. This had better debut to rave reviews from actual gamers for me to give it a look. They seem to be going for Rome II But Not Terrible. They had better meet that goal.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Ftaghn To You Too said:
After the terrible slap in the face that was Rome II, I have trouble justifying buying a Total War game anymore. And that's terrible, because it's one of my favorite franchises. This had better debut to rave reviews from actual gamers for me to give it a look. They seem to be going for Rome II But Not Terrible. They had better meet that goal.
When was the last time you looked at it? It's seen a pretty massive improvement patch recently and now I consider it roughly on par with Medieval 2, which is my second favorite TW game. I'd still rather have a family tree, but the politics system has a purpose beyond just civil wars and occasionally draining your bank account.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Yes Rome 2 sucked but its not that bad they fixed some issues and fans have fixed some more.

Everyone has a bad game now and then. I'm so going to be excited for this.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
I honestly thought this was another DLC for Rome II. Had no idea it was a new game.

Its Napoleon to Empire TW as Attila to Rome II

Rome II cost them a lot of good faith from. I'm staying away from this until all the reviews come out.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:

Its still a matter of debate, if the Xiongnu were Huns or not. If you go China, the verdict there is the Xiongnu are Huns.