League of Legends Championship Draws 1.69 Million Viewers

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
League of Legends Championship Draws 1.69 Million Viewers

Almost 1.7 million people around the world tuned in to watch the most legendary players in the League of Legends compete in a three-day tournament.

Riot Games' League of Legends has been doing well for itself recently, making headway into gamers' minds and - with its deceptively convenient free-to-play-but-pay-us-and-you-get-cool-stuff model - their wallets as well. At Dreamhack Summer 2011 [http://dreamhack.se/DHS11/] in Jönköping, Sweden, some of the best LoL players in the world battled it out to be crowned the game's first-ever World Champion.

According to Riot, the three-day live coverage of the championship drew a total of 1.69 million unique viewers. The final match between FnaticMSI and aAa (Against All Authority, if you were wondering) chalked up an estimated 210,000 unique viewers all on its own, which is pretty darn impressive. If you missed it, you can catch it here to the right.

Between this and the millions of streams [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111008-More-People-Watched-Major-League-Gaming-Online-Than-the-NFL-Draft] for the MLG Columbus tournament, it seems like e-sports are slowly catching on. Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Though, I have to say, I really feel for those commentators. Not only does it have to be about five times harder to offer commentary on a game of League of Legends than, say, a 1v1 game like StarCraft II, but these guys obviously know the game well. The temptation to freak out and start screaming warnings about "Nid MIA" and "care top" must be tremendous.

These guys make me feel inadequate. I mean, I play a decent Xin Zhao and Ezreal, but I think any of these players could probably take me 5-on-1.

(League of Legends [http://season-one-championship.na.leagueoflegends.com/])

Falcon123

Aug 9, 2009
I am obsessed with LoL. I play a decent Amumu, but I absolutely love Nasus, Can't wait to try Yorick out :p

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
chaos order said:
ahhhh LOL, fun game indeed. my personal favorite hero is zilian :p
Noooonononononono, it's Mordekaiser all the way ;D

Anyway, I haven't played much, but I can vividly imagine watching a stream like that can be incredibly fun. Hell, I watch Street Fighter streams all the time, and I get hype.

That said; can't wait for EVO.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
John Funk said:
hehe, you'd be me with Kat any day X3

Xin to win :3

OT: It was a fun show. I enjoyed watching it and was quite glad to be part of that 1.7 million. I didn't think so many actually watched it but hey, numbers here don't lie.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Falcon123 said:
I am obsessed with LoL. I play a decent Amumu, but I absolutely love Nasus, Can't wait to try Yorick out :p
I want Yorick. Nocturne, Warwick and Rumble tend to be my A-game dudes.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
I actually watched this, mostly because the amount of players involved makes it more interesting than Starcraft, and let's face it, look at all the pretty colors!

Watching a Cho'Gath walk around eating things made me happy inside, I love that champ. Rumble is so much fun too. I really like Kog'Maw too, but...he simply doesn't perform as well at higher levels, despite the improvements

I still play him now and again anyway, because sniping people with Living Artillery never gets old.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Chapper said:
chaos order said:
ahhhh LOL, fun game indeed. my personal favorite hero is zilian :p
Noooonononononono, it's Mordekaiser all the way ;D

Anyway, I haven't played much, but I can vividly imagine watching a stream like that can be incredibly fun. Hell, I watch Street Fighter streams all the time, and I get hype.

That said; can't wait for EVO.
You're Brazilian aren't you? I hear he is number one in...certain regions.

While being a devout LoL player since right out of Beta, I actually watched none of this. Too depressed that I can't play because my computer is dying and I'm still in the middle of getting enough money for a new one that can play games without crashing. What a concept!

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Vanguard_Ex said:
Falcon123 said:
Its Zilean, Nasus, Annie or Kat for me. You can't go wrong with some of the originals =P

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
maddawg IAJI said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
Falcon123 said:
Its Zilean, Nasus, Annie or Kat for me. You can't go wrong with some of the originals =P
I used to enjoy Kat, a lot ^_^
God I hate Zilean though...

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Frostbite3789 said:
You're Brazilian aren't you? I hear he is number one in...certain regions.

While being a devout LoL player since right out of Beta, I actually watched none of this. Too depressed that I can't play because my computer is dying and I'm still in the middle of getting enough money for a new one that can play games without crashing. What a concept!
Nah, Norwegian.

Mordekaiser is a walking heavy metal reference. What's not to like?

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Vanguard_Ex said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
Falcon123 said:
He's annoying, but nothing a good burst can't fix :3

Personally I find a good Morgana to be a bigger threat than Zil

maddawg IAJI

Feb 12, 2009
Vanguard_Ex said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
Falcon123 said:
Why do you hate Zilean? Is it because he is perhaps one of the best support characters in the entire game or the fact that he is one of the few support characters you can't focus a team fight because he'll just revive himself? I use to think Kayle's Ulti was one of the best support moves, now I know better.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I am happy to say that I was one of those viewers. Shushei's Gragas/Alistair were breathtaking to behold, along with WestRice's Akali.

Zetsubou-Sama

Mar 31, 2010
Too bad the EU servers are shitty right now.

I play a mean Kennen, Miss Fortune and Blitzcrank. Others are Tristana, leblanc, Katarina, Trundle, and Orianna

Nalfen

Sep 1, 2009
Zetsubou-Sama said:
Too bad the EU servers are shitty right now.

I play a mean Kennen, Miss Fortune and Blitzcrank. Others are Tristana, leblanc, Katarina, Trundle, and Orianna
Holy crap, another Trundle player o_O we must ban together, the whole 14 of us...ALL HAIL THE TROLL!

OT: I was overall happy with the championship, quite disappointed with the NA teams performance because Epik had a real shot but they were just playing really poorly after day one.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
maddawg IAJI said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
Falcon123 said:
Why do you hate Zilean? Is it because he is perhaps one of the best support characters in the entire game or the fact that he is one of the few support characters you can't focus a team fight because he'll just revive himself? I use to think Kayle's Ulti was one of the best support moves, now I know better.
I just hate the fact that he's still a force to be reckoned with in the damage department, except because his skills are all support with the exception of his one damaging attack, they make that damaging attack very high powered to compliment. And he's difficult to lane against, especially when you have a feeding lane partner.

maddawg IAJI

Feb 12, 2009
Vanguard_Ex said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
Falcon123 said:
I just hate the fact that he's still a force to be reckoned with in the damage department, except because his skills are all support with the exception of his one damaging attack, they make that damaging attack very high powered to compliment. And he's difficult to lane against, especially when you have a feeding lane partner.

He's only a dangerous force in small fights (1v1, 2v2) with the exception of one quick burst, he can't do much in a large 5v5 team fight and with enough magic resistance, his bombs won't do much.

Still, I think his rewind ability makes him extremely overpowered sometimes. Especially since it allows him to both A)Travel at over 500 movement speed indefinitely at level 18 and B) allows him to get access to his ulti in less then 30 seconds.

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
It's always good to see LoL succeed. Especially because I play it almost every day and haven't spent more than a few dollars on it thus far.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
John Funk said:
I play a decent Xin Zhao and Ezreal
Same mains as I, although I recently downloaded it and Vayne is looking rather tempting.