League of Legends Will Reboot Story, Ditch Old Lore, in Future Updates

sirtommygunn

Aug 21, 2008
Riot has been getting around that for years already. You don't need to change the lore, just explain to people that the game League is not the same as the lore league. Basically, a lot of characters in the game are not actually part of the League, they're just significant characters within the world. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just that they've never actually explained that to people.

Rengar, pretty much any of the void champions, Nami, Lissandra, various others; all of them have pretty much 0 reason to be in the league, but they're included anyway because they're significant characters in the setting.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Phil the Nervous said:
Stats ^1 said:
they cut the lore department years ago
This explains so much
They cut the lore department? Well, now I'm not even mad about all the shit they've pulled since then. Now I'm just disappointed. Well, at least we got some interesting champions out of them, even if they were... implausibly connected to the Institute of war. If only it didn't come at the cost of, to put it mildly, fucking up the lore or existing interesting champions like Trundle.

Is there an archive of the LOL lore before and after the edits? I'd be sad if nobody archived the old champion lore of those whom were altered.

Phil the Nervous

Jun 1, 2014
Quazimofo said:
They cut the lore department? Well, now I'm not even mad about all the shit they've pulled since then. Now I'm just disappointed. Well, at least we got some interesting champions out of them, even if they were... implausibly connected to the Institute of war. If only it didn't come at the cost of, to put it mildly, fucking up the lore or existing interesting champions like Trundle.

Is there an archive of the LOL lore before and after the edits? I'd be sad if nobody archived the old champion lore of those whom were altered.
It's all on the wiki, just search for the Journal or Judgments. Also, avoid anything written post season 2, it's absolute rubbish.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
As someone who enjoyed the league of legends lore, I seem to be in the minority for being happy about this.

I enjoy all of the different characters and I'd rather they focus their lore on fleshing out the characters than trying to find ways to fit them into the league.

Also even if they change the characters official lore, they will never be able to change the characters real lore. Yi is the dunkmaster, Morde is Brazilian etc...

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
The silliest part is them retconning the League out of the League of Legends

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
lapan said:
The silliest part is them retconning the League out of the League of Legends
Perhaps it is silly, but there are currently too many prerequisites that need to be met by each hero for their participation to make sense, which makes their history both challenging to write at the same time as being kinda samey, as the article says. And you can't just remove or change these prerequisites without also changing the lore of the heroes.