Leaked God of War 4 Info Shows Off Norse Setting

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Can we finally get a god of war game where you play someone else who has to kill Kratos. He has tons of enemies by now who have legitimate reasons to want his head on a platter. Let us play as Sekhmet or something and gut him like a trout.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
ChaplainOrion said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Dude, a God of War game with the whole Christian pantheon where you get to play as a pissed of Jesus and have to fight God would be rad. Too bad people here in the states would get offended by it.
Close up of a long haired man with a beard and gradually pans out.
Hardcore gruff voice, "Father do not forgive me, for I know what I have done."
Pans out and its Jesus, stabbing an angel with a a giant crucifix.

Title comes up: God of War V: War of God

OT: This would be a really good way to keep the series going without it feeling like beating a dead horse. It could lead them to do other pantheons and continue to experiment with this epic sized art style they have with different cultures.
10/10 GOTY material.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Ugh. God of War.

You know, only if they get rid of Kratos and bring someone new to the table.

I mean, I know i'm like one of the few who cares about the character and narrative of the games, but geez can we get a Viking badass pissed off about the gods? Please? Then make a versus game where Viking and Kratos kill the shit out of each other.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
PunkRex said:
Jehovah: I AM JEHOVAH, THE BEGINNING AND THE END, THE GOD OF THE JEWS AND THE CHRISTIANS. I AM BOTH OMNIPOTENT AND OMNISCIENT! YOU CANNOT STAND BEFORE ME MY SON, FOR I AM ALL!

Kratos: Hrrrmmm, only one boss for this one I guess.
If they don't mind the backlash from Fox news and the uber-christian brigade, have the conceit being that Yahweh charged Kratos is getting rid of all other gods so that there will be no alternatives other then worship him.

"Your Resume is quite impressive Kratos. You seem to be skilled at Deicide"

Hiddelgreyk

Sep 29, 2015
I like this. I'm always on board with a good reimagining, and this doesn't look half bad at all.
Chaos Isaac said:
[...] can we get a Viking badass pissed off about the gods? Please? Then make a versus game where Viking and Kratos kill the shit out of each other.
Yes. This.
Even if the protagonist is just a norse version of Kratos, change his name.

Call him Kr?t?sson or whatever.

And then have Kratos and Kr?t?sson duke it out in Playstation All Stars: Second Showdown (which will hopefully have a better fighting system than the first PsAs ;P )

Edit: Damn, this website doesn't diplay the Scandinavian "/o" (the striked through O) or the "?a" (an A with ? above it).
Now no one will get the joke...

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
Dalisclock said:
PunkRex said:
Jehovah: I AM JEHOVAH, THE BEGINNING AND THE END, THE GOD OF THE JEWS AND THE CHRISTIANS. I AM BOTH OMNIPOTENT AND OMNISCIENT! YOU CANNOT STAND BEFORE ME MY SON, FOR I AM ALL!

If they don't mind the backlash from Fox news and the uber-christian brigade, have the conceit being that Yahweh charged Kratos is getting rid of all other gods so that there will be no alternatives other then worship him.

Then he double crosses Kratos, who then travels back in time, steals baby Jesus out of the crib and beats God to death with him.
"Stop bludgeoning yourself, stop bludgeoning yourself!"

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Worgen said:
Can we finally get a god of war game where you play someone else who has to kill Kratos. He has tons of enemies by now who have legitimate reasons to want his head on a platter. Let us play as Sekhmet or something and gut him like a trout.
God of War XI: Dog of War, where you play as Anubis.

OT: EEEEEeeeehehehhhhhh... I dunno. Looks cool and all, but if they wheel out that boring ol' block of wood called Kratos I'm probably gonna skip this. The last time they tried to revamp the series in some way (Ascension) it was absolutely hamfisted in parts. The franchise is in sore need of reinvention, and changing the setting is at least a step in the right direction.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Dalisclock said:
PunkRex said:

"Although, the part where you betrayed BOTH your former employers does have me a tad... concerned."

"Creative differences."
>_>
_>

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Current name suggestions
Title comes up: God of War V: War of God
God of War XI: Dog of War, where you play as Anubis.
Personally I can't wait for God of War XX: Golliwog Row, where they run out of mythology and just have you play as a racist doll from the 1800s, beating up slave owners or something in the Deep South.

It'd be like Djanjo Unchained meets Toy Story.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Hey, what is Kratos actually HELPS the Norse with Ragnarok?! Wouldn't that be pretty awesome?! You know, he realizes "wow, I totally fucked up the planet last time I went on a pantheon purge, maybe I shouldn't do that again." Then he learns about the forces against the Norse in Ragnarok and is like "Ok yeah, I can do that. Those things need to die, to not kill the world."

I would totally be in favor of that kind of game.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Aw man... why can't they let that ancient Greek rageaholic rest in peace? I imagine a franchise with the title 'God of War' would be a natural fit for any number of violent lunkheads screwed over by their respective deities. Give us someone new!

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Sonicron said:
Aw man... why can't they let that ancient Greek rageaholic rest in peace? I imagine a franchise with the title 'God of War' would be a natural fit for any number of violent lunkheads screwed over by their respective deities. Give us someone new!
Honestly, if they give him a personality overhaul, I'm fine with Kratos himself. In theory, by the end of GoW 3, he's hopefully realized the folly of his ways, and the game won't be him just running around killing the Norse pantheon.

I'm hoping, hoping that they do roughly the following:

He dies, but is taken to the Norse underworld (Hel I think it's called? I know that's the name of the woman in charge, but I forget if the place has same name). She thanks him for kicking off Ragnarok, due to the fact that his actions of killing the Greek pantheon, basically couch fucks the planet, and is the trigger event to set off the first Norse event of Ragnarok. He realizes that he's set off a cascade effect of chaos/destruction, and decides to fix it (if he can). He fights his way out of the underworld (because of course he does), and finds himself smack in the middle of Valhalla, and seeing the Norse start gearing up for Ragnarok. He decides to help them, and seeing as he's an outside influence, unforeseen by their scryers, he has the chance to possibly alter the events, saving (maybe) some of the gods, and preventing Ragnarok from actually happening.

I would LOVE that shit if they did it. I'm afraid they won't, but if they actually aim him at a bad guy I can get behind, and have him on the side of good for once, I'd be all over that game. If they just have him come up and snarl around, and decide he needs to kill the Norse, because they looked at him funny, then screw them.

Estarc

Sep 23, 2008
Dr. McD said:
Estarc said:
Wow. One pantheon wasn't enough for him? Now that he's purged Olympus he's moving on to Valhalla?
Well to be fair the Norse and Egyptian Pantheons were supposed to show up in GoW 3 and kill Zeus early on, ending with all the gods dead and the three wise men following the Star of David. Perhaps Kratos is angry they missed the schedule entirely and the entire game had be redesigned around just the Greek Gods. The Greek pantheon might be dicks but they stick to their schedules unlike that twat Odin.
Lol maybe. Still, that didn't happen and there is no possible in game justification for Kratos going murder happy on anyone else, especially with the way God of War ended. Shit, he was really pushing it with the way he murdered all the Greeks. I just don't seem him as being likely to go seek out new gods at the north edge of the world to kill centuries later. What's his motivation?

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Happyninja42 said:
Sonicron said:
Honestly, if they give him a personality overhaul, I'm fine with Kratos himself. In theory, by the end of GoW 3, he's hopefully realized the folly of his ways, and the game won't be him just running around killing the Norse pantheon.

I'm hoping, hoping that they do roughly the following:

He dies, but is taken to the Norse underworld (Hel I think it's called? I know that's the name of the woman in charge, but I forget if the place has same name). She thanks him for kicking off Ragnarok, due to the fact that his actions of killing the Greek pantheon, basically couch fucks the planet, and is the trigger event to set off the first Norse event of Ragnarok. He realizes that he's set off a cascade effect of chaos/destruction, and decides to fix it (if he can). He fights his way out of the underworld (because of course he does), and finds himself smack in the middle of Valhalla, and seeing the Norse start gearing up for Ragnarok. He decides to help them, and seeing as he's an outside influence, unforeseen by their scryers, he has the chance to possibly alter the events, saving (maybe) some of the gods, and preventing Ragnarok from actually happening.

I would LOVE that shit if they did it. I'm afraid they won't, but if they actually aim him at a bad guy I can get behind, and have him on the side of good for once, I'd be all over that game. If they just have him come up and snarl around, and decide he needs to kill the Norse, because they looked at him funny, then screw them.
You know what? I'd be totally down for that. God of War's protagonist is in dire need of major character development, and this would be a great way of fueling it. Fingers crossed they somehow magically had the very same idea for the upcoming game!
Btw, those picture of Kratos with an axe in hand make me hopeful they've made some kind of overhaul to the basic combat, too. Don't get me wrong, I love chains with spikes on the end just as much as the next game, but at this point we've had that formula put into practice six times now (if I've not forgotten any games), and I want a fun NEW way of murdering my way across all of mythology.