Leaked photos may show off Assassin's Creed 5's new location, two games this fall

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Ubisoft will release two new Assassin's Creed games this year, code-named "Unity" and "Comet", at least one of which is set partly or entirely in 18th century Paris. That's according to a report over at Kotaku, which also contains a selection of work-in-progress screenshots.
Unity will be for the current-gen consoles?Xbox One and PS4?while a second game, possibly called or code-named Comet, will be released on Xbox 360 and PS3. Presumably one or both versions will also be on PC.

I got three words for you:
VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

http://kotaku.com/leaked-images-reveal-one-of-this-falls-two-assassins-1547111652?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
There are only so many times I can say Roman Empire, Feudal Japan, and Feudal China before I sound like a broken record.

But I guess The French Revolution won't be so bad. As long as they don't butcher the accents and the game is fun. They're going to have a tough time topping Black Flag.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Ugh I smell Assassins Creed 3 all over again. The fucking French revolution? Lemme guess, Robespierre was actually an Assassin. Fuck it. I'll wait around for Assassins Creed: Bakumatsu.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Ugh I smell Assassins Creed 3 all over again. The fucking French revolution? Lemme guess, Robespierre was actually an Assassin. Fuck it. I'll wait around for Assassins Creed: Bakumatsu.
Seeing as the Assassins are usually painted as the good guys and Robespierre was a pretty awful person, I highly doubt they'll make him an assassin. On the other hand, I could definitely see them making him a Templar. I wonder if they'll put "let them eat cake" in the game.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
It would be nice to be in some place other than Central Europe and European settlements of America.

Apparently there just isn't much else going on in the entire history of the world.

Or, more accurately, it's too expensive to make that many new art assets.

Richard Dubbeld

Nov 8, 2011
Objectable said:
Ubisoft will release two new Assassin's Creed games this year, code-named "Unity" and "Comet", at least one of which is set partly or entirely in 18th century Paris. That's according to a report over at Kotaku, which also contains a selection of work-in-progress screenshots.
Unity will be for the current-gen consoles?Xbox One and PS4?while a second game, possibly called or code-named Comet, will be released on Xbox 360 and PS3. Presumably one or both versions will also be on PC.

I got three words for you:
VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

http://kotaku.com/leaked-images-reveal-one-of-this-falls-two-assassins-1547111652?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow
Um... are they using Parkour as a verb? Can it be used as a verb?

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
French rev came after the American Independence so seems fitting. Best thing i think is that we get another city with some height to it. Also due to that time period, they should be able to fit some naval war due to battles between French, English, Italy etc I just hope they dont fit you into every single important decision as they did with AC3. That was just plain silly. So if the XB1/PS4 is the French one, what is the 2nd game set?

I think they should just do a Templers Creed game and get the story from the other side. Should be interesting.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The Lunatic said:
It would be nice to be in some place other than Central Europe and European settlements of America.

Apparently there just isn't much else going on in the entire history of the world.

I think it has more to do with these games needing to take place in grand, densely structured cities, with lots of gothic ornaments to climb onto. You put this series in feudal Japan and there won't be many buildings to really sink your teeth in. This was a major problem with AC3, where all you had were shacks and barns. This is also the reason why we'll never see an Assassin's Creed game set in present times.

They've kind of locked themselves in with this series.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
MrPeanut said:
So was Napoleon an assassin or a templar?
I think it was hinted he was a Templar with a piece of Eden that made him such an amazing leader of men. It also hinted Ghandi and Jesus were as well.

Casual Shinji said:
The Lunatic said:

I think it has more to do with these games needing to take place in grand, densely structured cities, with lots of gothic ornaments to climb onto. You put this series in feudal Japan and there won't be many buildings to really sink your teeth in. This was a major problem with AC3, where all you had were shacks and barns. This is also the reason why we'll never see an Assassin's Creed game set in present times.

They've kind of locked themselves in with this series.
We kinda do. It's called Watchdogs.

Elfgore said:
There are only so many times I can say Roman Empire, Feudal Japan, and Feudal China before I sound like a broken record.

But I guess The French Revolution won't be so bad. As long as they don't butcher the accents and the game is fun. They're going to have a tough time topping Black Flag.
GOd, I would LOVE a Roman Empire or Feudal China one. I would also love a Feudal China Total War, but Sega is Japanese, but Creative Assembly is British, so maybe it will happen, maybe it won't.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
I am... actually pretty happy about that idea!

The French Revolution was a pretty exciting time in history, what with all the political and social tensions that built up between the differing classes over the course of decades coming to a violent peak all at once; and heads were, quite literally, rolling on both sides. Sure it didn't end up going all that well for them in the end but still, very interesting stuff.

I think that exploring that time in history sounds like a great premise, and there aren't nearly enough games that have attempted it. I just hope they pull it off correctly, not like that botch job they did with the American Revolution, AC3 had so much potential an it just kinda fell apart from poor execution, let's hope they've learned their lesson.

Greg White

Sep 19, 2012
I'll pass. Pirates were the only thing that brought me back for Black Flag and I don't think one about France is going to tickle my fancy any.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Oh, fucking wonderful, another setting where they totally have guns that can kill you and have to be completely inept just to make the game playable.

Casual Shinji said:
I think it has more to do with these games needing to take place in grand, densely structured cities, with lots of gothic ornaments to climb onto. You put this series in feudal Japan and there won't be many buildings to really sink your teeth in.
I'm sure no-one would mind if Ubisoft just packed a bunch of castles and shrines in there to help the movement. It wouldn't be the most historically accurate portrayal, but if it means they can get away from the colonial documentary they're making it mightn't be received so poorly. (Actually that's not entirely fair, AC4 was the only documentary, but still).

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Yay, more Assassins Creed. Ever thought of, I dunno, giving the series a year or two off so as to not make people utterly sick of it.

You could maybe use the time to start work on or finish Beyond Good and Evil 2, hmmm? WHERE IS BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL 2 DAMN IT UBISOFT!!!

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
The only problem I'd have with this is that I loved the colours of Black flag compared to the boring dull AC3, hopefully they nail the gothic athestics so it's actually fun to run around and explore as right now all I see is a tonne of gloom.

If I were them I'd screw around with the formula and figure out a way to include multiple countries in it, get Madrid, Barca and Prague in there somehow to give us variety.

Teriver

Nov 22, 2013
Changing the country that it is in each time is just getting dull. AC4 was good in my opinion because it was very different to the others and you actually acted like a pirate (what you were supposed to be).

I'd personally prefer if they gave you a choice in missions rather than everything being the same. One of my biggest problems with AC3 is that Connor seems to be willing to join the templars and then suffers massive turnaround syndrome and kills his dad.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
RedDeadFred said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Seeing as the Assassins are usually painted as the good guys and Robespierre was a pretty awful person, I highly doubt they'll make him an assassin. On the other hand, I could definitely see them making him a Templar. I wonder if they'll put "let them eat cake" in the game.
It is quite a conundrum.
On one hand, Robespierre was far from a good guy. On the other hand, the Templars have always been the defenders of status quo and control; so it is out of character for them to act as the main figures of such a chaotic time. Having Louis XV as a Templar is more in line with their agenda, but it would require Ubisoft to picture many of the Assassins in a less than flattering light.
Or they could go the AC 3 route, where the Templars acted in both fronts and the rest of the big players were neither Templars or Assassins.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
Damn... That's only a little little jump from 1776 to 1789. I kinda hoped they would go on to 1848 with revolution flaming up all over Europe, France, the German Federation, Italy, Hungary... They could have even worked in some major conspiracy stuff since that was the time when an awful lot of major shit in Germany started happening on November 9th time and time again.

Cabisco said:
If I were them I'd screw around with the formula and figure out a way to include multiple countries in it, get Madrid, Barca and Prague in there somehow to give us variety.
That's what I was trying to say.