Leaks May Reveal New Battlefield Title as World War I Shooter

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Leaks May Reveal New Battlefield Title as World War I Shooter

A leaked ad and promo poster may have revealed the name and setting of the next Battlefield game.

The reveal of the new Battlefield game isn't until Reddit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167304-DICE-Will-Announce-Next-Battlefield-Game-Next-Week]), we might already have an idea of the game's setting.

How does World War I sound to you?

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1319/1319828.jpg

Nov 28, 2007
That's...actually a pretty interesting idea, if this turns out to be accurate. I'd probably want to know more information, so it did get my interest a little. Considering my apathy for FPS in general, that's really saying something.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Don't see why it has to be alternate history, it's not really a well explored era in games anyway, much less on the involvement of black soldiers during WW1 which the poster seems to imply. And there were plenty, although initially many commanders didn't like having soldiers of color fighting alongside white troops the loss of life was so great they eventually didn't have much of a choice. I think it'd be a fascinating thing to look at, but I think any kind of alternate history story is just going to add a lot of distraction.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
Interesting that they would go so far in the opposite direction that CoD seems to be going

Either way I'm interested in this, WW1 is a criminally underused setting in games

Supernova1138

Oct 24, 2011
GothmogII said:
Don't see why it has to be alternate history, it's not really a well explored era in games anyway, much less on the involvement of black soldiers during WW1 which the poster seems to imply. And there were plenty, although initially many commanders didn't like having soldiers of color fighting alongside white troops the loss of life was so great they eventually didn't have much of a choice. I think it'd be a fascinating thing to look at, but I think any kind of alternate history story is just going to add a lot of distraction.
They'd want to do alternate history for gameplay reasons, mainly to allow for more automatic weapons. A historically accurate WWI game would be very slow paced compared to your typical modern military shooter as other than a small selection of light machine guns and a single SMG that showed up at the very end of the war, your weapon selection is limited to bolt action rifles, pistols and shotguns.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I won't lie; if its a WWI shooter, even an Alt history one, I'll probably pass.

While WWII was interesting enough, not much about even an alt-history WWI lends itself well to an MP shooter like Battlefield. That, and modern/future Battlefields are interesting enough; after all Battlefield 2143 is one of the Battlefield community's most requested items.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
It's a pretty interesting idea, even though I've no idea how they're going to pull it off.

Also, I'm getting rather sick of that whole blue-orange color scheme for the Battlefield game covers, especially when this is supposed to be an WWI-inspired game. Is it too much to ask to have some different colors for a change?

King_Julian

Jun 10, 2009
If its WW1, 2 or anything other than modern or future warfare im gonna play the shit outta it! i prefer those kinda games to all the new techno gadgetry stuff going on in all the new games. i preferred when you had to get the enemy in your sights to shoot him rather than click on the enemy on the map to kill him.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I applaud them for trying to be somewhat original. But they did that with Hardline and that was a total piece of shit. So I won't be getting myself all excited about this yet, waiting for reviews.

... Of course considering if any of this is true.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
This might be enough to make me pick up the game. I've only ever played Battlefield...3 I think? The one where they finally introduced a single player campaign. And "abysmal" doesn't begin to cover it. So I stayed away from the series after that. But this? This could be good.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
This might be enough to make me pick up the game. I've only ever played Battlefield...3 I think? The one where they finally introduced a single player campaign. And "abysmal" doesn't begin to cover it. So I stayed away from the series after that. But this? This could be good.
They introduced single player capaigns in Bad Company. And Bad Company, and Bad Company 2 both had really good campaigns with fun characters and a focus on blowing shit up because let's blow shit up.

OT: Interesting, interesting, do tell me more....

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
The White Hunter said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
They introduced single player capaigns in Bad Company. And Bad Company, and Bad Company 2 both had really good campaigns with fun characters and a focus on blowing shit up because let's blow shit up.

I never really count those because they weren't part of the main series--as in, no number. I have heard good things about both of them though, and wish they'd put that type of effort into 3's story.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Well...holy shit. DICE have always excelled at trailers, I'll give them that.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
The White Hunter said:
Sniper Team 4 said:

I never really count those because they weren't part of the main series--as in, no number. I have heard good things about both of them though, and wish they'd put that type of effort into 3's story.
Hmm well, they introduced a few things that became staples of the series and were a lot of peoples introduction to the franchise.

Both are well worth a play through of the campaign, though 2's is more linear and focused, and a bit shorter, 2 also had by far the best multiplayer the series has ever had in my opinion. 3's campaign was shit, I barely remember it, the co-op mode as fun but under-developed, multiplayer was okay most of the maps sucked ass. 4 was better campaign-wise, I remember a few bits of it for a start, the loss of co-op made me sad, but the original multiplayer stuff was pretty solid, much better maps and such than 3, then they had to go bring back Operation Metro and BAM every server is a metro 3000 flag meatgrinder.

kiri3tsubasa

Jan 24, 2016
I'm just going to say this, if "The Battle of Jutland" is not included I am going to be pissed. That was the largest naval engagement of the war.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I know a lot of people are super excited for a WW2 game, and whilst WW1 is quite similar, I was really hoping for a future game, which is apparently what a lot of people didn't want.

Oh well, at least it looks about as pretty as Battlefront does.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Yuuki said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7nRTF2SowQ
Aside from that horrendous song, that was a good trailer. I wonder if there's a level based on Beersheba......

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
I was very excited until the speculation of it being alternate history. Why alternate? Word War 1 is barely covered in games as it is. Not only that, but having listened to a podcast that covered World War 1 history it already sounds incredibly interesting.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Yuuki said:

Fixed.

And eh. Oh my. Oh my. Shit I might even be able to play it with my new computer, though it's no powerhouse. I definitely want to try this though. Because oh my.