Leave Cthulhu Alone.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
I'm a fanboy. Let's get that out in the open right away. I can take some humor in knowing this, and I'm aware how silly we can be. So, try to take all things I say with a pinch of salt concerning this topic.
NowI got something to say; Would you, all of you, leave Cthulhu alone?
I'm getting sick and tired of having to read about Cthulhu here, Cthulhu there, Cthulhu saves the world, Cthulhu can be summoned in fucking Little Big Planet, Cthulhu in South Park, blah blah.
How about Yog-Sothoth? Or Shub-Niggurath? How about everyone start learning the god-damn mythology of H.P Lovecraft, perhaps also actually reading a novel or two (for yes, I seriously doubt that most of you who have ever heard of big C have ever, ever read a single one of his works), instead of parroting Cthulhu into yet another internet-meme.

In short: Shut up, read more books, and stop throwing around a mythos you know nothing about (especially considering that Cthulhu isn't even the most frequently mentioned Great Old One, not by far).

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
Now, Lovecraft wasn't the strongest writer in the world, but there's still something to be said about his works. He's had an undeniable influence on not just fiction, but popular culture. He's pretty much a joke now, thanks to the internet. It's a sad but true.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Hey, look on the bright side: Cthulhu's new memedom has surely gotten SOME people to read Lovecraft. I'll give you a good example: yours truly.

So yeah, some people will just throw his name around, while others will actually read about him. And as an admitted fanboy, shouldn't that make you happy?

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Realitycrash said:
instead of parroting Cthulhu into yet another internet-meme.
Now you know why people do this.
Now you also know why they will never, ever ever totally stop doing it.

Just look at the damn page for TvTropes Cthulhu Mythos! [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CthulhuMythos]

Remember these words or Cthulhu is gonna come for us all.
[small]That was kinda mean, I'm sorry.[/small]
[sub]But Cthulhu won't be...[/sub]
[sub][sub][small][small][small]Sorry[/small][/small][/small][/sub][/sub]

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Fat_Hippo said:
Hey, look on the bright side: Cthulhu's new memedom has surely gotten SOME people to read Lovecraft. I'll give you a good example: yours truly.

So yeah, some people will just throw his name around, while others will actually read about him. And as an admitted fanboy, shouldn't that make you happy?
Actually, I started reading Lovecraft back in 2001, but I do get your point.
Mine, however, is that repeating something over and over will make it stale and bland. I wish people would make an effort to understand more of the mythos.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
Fat_Hippo said:

seconded all the throwing about of cthulhu's image also got me to read Lovecraft's stories and I am hooked

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
To be fair, if you reference Shub-Niggurath in a random TV show or game or something along those lines, you probably won't get many people who get the reference in the first place, since Cthulhu is indeed the most widely recognized figure on Lovecraft's Mythos.

Also, it really doesn't help that a lot of the creatures in Lovecraft's stories were indescribable monsters who could drive any man insane almost immediately upon looking at them. Makes them a bit hard to design. Cthulhu was one of the few creatures he went into extensive detail about.

Besides, I've been playing Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor lately, and while there are no Cthulhus in sight, you do get to control Nyarlathotep, so there's one non-Cthulhu reference for you.

JCD2k4

Sep 13, 2010
Why does this remind me of the unspeakable vault [http://www.goominet.com/unspeakable-vault/vault/1/]?

Crazy

Oct 4, 2011
Cthulhu doesn't have an ounce of the power I can muster in my lowest of days. He's just a gigantic squid.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
What I'm currently reading:

http://img2.imagesbn.com/images/103250000/103251003.jpg

Now I'm not too far in, but I do believe there are better stories than the Call of Cthulhu, like The Cats of Ulthar. One of my favorites so far.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Matthew94 said:
Realitycrash said:
I'm a fanboy.
Aaaaaand that immediately invalidates anything you say as far as I am concerned.

If you know you are a fanboy then stop. What is wrong with just being a fan? Fanboy is an insult, I don't see why you would label yourself with that.
Because it was part of a semi self-depricating joke that you apparently didn't get. By calling yourself a fanboy before anyone else have a chance, you rob them of that rather childish argumentum ad hominem (which you used, despite me even putting a joking facade up. Good job, son!)

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Matthew94 said:
Realitycrash said:
Matthew94 said:
Realitycrash said:
I'm a fanboy.
Aaaaaand that immediately invalidates anything you say as far as I am concerned.

If you know you are a fanboy then stop. What is wrong with just being a fan? Fanboy is an insult, I don't see why you would label yourself with that.
Because it was part of a semi self-depricating joke that you apparently didn't get. By calling yourself a fanboy before anyone else have a chance, you rob them of that rather childish argumentum ad hominem (which you used, despite me even putting a joking facade up. Good job, son!)
"I'm a fanboy. Let's get that out in the open right away. I can take some humor in knowing this, and I'm aware how silly we can be. So, try to take all things I say with a pinch of salt concerning this topic."

Doesn't sound like a joke, just sounds like you know you are a fanboy.
..And "aware how silly we can be". Geeze, it was a self-aimed joke. But fine, go ahead and don't get it, and ignore whatever I said. You're right as a forum-user.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Realitycrash said:
I'm a fanboy. Let's get that out in the open right away. I can take some humor in knowing this, and I'm aware how silly we can be. So, try to take all things I say with a pinch of salt concerning this topic.
NowI got something to say; Would you, all of you, leave Cthulhu alone?
I'm getting sick and tired of having to read about Cthulhu here, Cthulhu there, Cthulhu saves the world, Cthulhu can be summoned in fucking Little Big Planet, Cthulhu in South Park, blah blah.
How about Yog-Sothoth? Or Shub-Niggurath?

Sorry, its not going to happen. Same way that people aren't going to start talking about Darth Bane instead of Vader when it comes to Star Wars jokes..

Realitycrash said:
How about everyone start learning the god-damn mythology of H.P Lovecraft, perhaps also actually reading a novel or two (for yes, I seriously doubt that most of you who have ever heard of big C have ever, ever read a single one of his works), instead of parroting Cthulhu into yet another internet-meme.
In short: Shut up, read more books, and stop throwing around a mythos you know nothing about (especially considering that Cthulhu isn't even the most frequently mentioned Great Old One, not by far).
I read plenty of books, but I really can't be bothered with Lovecraft just yet. It's on my list, but I've got another four Peter Hamilton books to get through, followed by The Complete Asimov.
I can't guarantee that I'm not going to make a Cthulu joke in the meantime. Don't let it bother you so much! :p

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Realitycrash said:
(especially considering that Cthulhu isn't even the most frequently mentioned Great Old One, not by far).
Yeah, I don't get this. Cthulhu didn't actually do much of anything, but gets all the fans. Though, that's only for Lovecraft, the followers tend to like Cthulu for some reason, and that would snowball.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I would read more into Lovecraft's work, but... I can't read :'(. I just recognised the logo.