Left 4 Dead Pc

DK412

Feb 2, 2009
Ok, I uninstalled steam and L4D. It's trying to do steam updates, but says "Cannot connect to steam network, please try again later" Is this really common? or is it possible its got something to do with my predicament

DK412

Feb 2, 2009
Laughing Man said:
Well you've all managed to totally miss the basics here.

First the game worked perviously and doesn't work now so unless he's installed new hardware getting him to list his hardware is kinda of a waste of time.

Second he's stated he's getting a generic Windows error message. He's also listed the error message comments but no one has asked him to click the view more details link that the error message will have on it.

I assume you are getting a message some what like this one

See the bit that's circled, click that and it will bring up a whole host of info post. Now you got two options you can then head over to the Microsoft website and use the search function there and stick the error details in and see what it brings up. You can do the same over at the Steam forums and see if anyone else has had the same issue or you can post here but judging by the posts above all you'd get is a headache and just about that.

You can also do the following to get more details

Click Start --> Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Event Viewer --> System

This will bring up a list of system activity on the right hand panel. This list will contain everything the system has done recently, what you're specifically looking for is ones with either a yellow ! but more likely it will be one in a red circle with a white cross in the middle. Double click it and read the description of the error. The details should allow you to determine if the error was caused by L4D and it will provide a link that will take you directly to Microsoft's support centre.

I copied and pasted this detail into google and found that some people had the same problems, but all of their ideas seem so major to me.

This was the error signature i had: AppName: left4dead.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: shaderapidx9.dll

Quick Ben

Oct 27, 2008
DK412 said:
Ok, I uninstalled steam and L4D. It's trying to do steam updates, but says "Cannot connect to steam network, please try again later" Is this really common? or is it possible its got something to do with my predicament
Did you allow Steam and L4D through your firewall after you reinstalled it? Might be necessary...

DK412

Feb 2, 2009
I didn't get any prompts for it, it was just installing as always. And then when it got to steam updates it said it couldn't connect to the network, perhaps the update server is down or something?

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Did a quick search on Google myself and it seems Source games and issues with the shaderapidx9.dll are quite common.

Found this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRcFfFxigpE

It seems to be a possible resolution to this issue and since it's a video and dead simple it shouldn't take that long to try it out. If it doesn't work then it may take a little more work to get it resolved.

DK412

Feb 2, 2009
Laughing Man said:
Did a quick search on Google myself and it seems Source games and issues with the shaderapidx9.dll are quite common.

Found this video

It seems to be a possible resolution to this issue and since it's a video and dead simple it shouldn't take that long to try it out. If it doesn't work then it may take a little more work to get it resolved.
I'll try it tomorrow when I'm more awake and tell you the results thanks again

WeedWorm

Nov 23, 2008
Abedeus said:
DK412 said:
Well, the error report is as stated, vague. It just says "theres a problem SORRY :D" :p
It's original, from Steam/retail?

If not, then gtho. We are not helping pirates here.
Speak for yourself there, buddy.

.... Fuck, I have no idea how to help the guy. Sorry, friend.

DK412

Feb 2, 2009
DK412 said:
Laughing Man said:

Found this video

Tried it this morning, and nothing at all unfortunately :/

Steam has now managed to update itself as well. But it still doesn't workk, stupid computer games. I'd like to say from now on I'm sticking to PS3 games, but I love L4D...:p

DK412

Feb 2, 2009
Darkness62 said:
DK412 said:
DK412 said:
Laughing Man said:

Found this video

Steam has now managed to update itself as well. But it still doesn't workk, stupid computer games. I'd like to say from now on I'm sticking to PS3 games, but I love L4D...:p
Sorry to have left you hanging, was busy. Sadly I checked all over and the only fixes I could find for XP are 1) System restore to well before the problem started which may or may not work. 2) Total reload of the system, as it appears a Steam update may have corrupted something in Windows. There is a work around for it in Vista, but unfortunately it does not work in XP. Anyway, hope the system restore works, if not backup data and reload.

Damn :/. I'll try em out I guess, cheers

DK412

Feb 2, 2009
Darkness62 said:
DK412 said:
DK412 said:
Laughing Man said:

Found this video

Sorry to have left you hanging, was busy. Sadly I checked all over and the only fixes I could find for XP are 1) System restore to well before the problem started which may or may not work. 2) Total reload of the system, as it appears a Steam update may have corrupted something in Windows. There is a work around for it in Vista, but unfortunately it does not work in XP. Anyway, hope the system restore works, if not backup data and reload.

I did a system restart, like a rollback as you said, and it worked! :D Thankyou very much, I was preparing myself for the worse :p