Legend of Korra: What Happened to Korra and Who Is Kuvira?

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
Legend of Korra: What Happened to Korra and Who Is Kuvira?

Legend of Korra's Book Four premiere jumps ahead three years without explaining what happened "After All These Years."

Read Full Article

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
I thought this episode was good. Showing all the key people, letting you pretty much figure out where they are and a good guess as to what has happened over the last 3 years. Also clearly showing a "villain"[footnote](Still actually not sure if a villain or maybe just another view, Earth Kingdom has usually tackled things with brute strength and determination, if anything she's more of it's shrewd embodiment of that compared to the new Earth King Wu)[/footnote] for this series, what her goal is and what she's capable of. I can't wait for the rest of this series. :D

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
I'm still curious about the season three finale. When she entered the Avatar State she was performing some advanced bending techniques, particularly flying with fire. Didn't she lose her connections to the past avatars?

AgentQV

Nov 24, 2009
DugMachine said:
I'm still curious about the season three finale. When she entered the Avatar State she was performing some advanced bending techniques, particularly flying with fire. Didn't she lose her connections to the past avatars?
Korra did lose her connection to the past avatars, but I don't think that would really put a limit on her techniques. The point of the Avatar State is that Korra is capable of doing all this incredible bending, like when Wan got it. Though to explain how she flew with Fire, I believe Korra likely just knew the technique and fueled it with Raava's light spirit. Jet Propulsion has likely been done by other firebenders, we even see during Sozin's comet how Ozai and Azula(atleast I think) were able to do it charged by sozin's comet, and considering they don't have "past lives" to get their techniques from, it's not too far of a stretch to presume Korra couldn't have just figured it out on her own, she is a Fully Realized Avatar after all.

I think the point of having past lives isn't really to use their techniques, but more to get advice.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I think the reason that Kuvira is not causing world leaders to act is because she's not really doing anything wrong, at least in terms of the law. We already know that she's ruffled several feathers of higher ups based on how Opal reacts (betraying mom is what she says her brother did, and this likely has to do with the fact that he's with Kuvira), and Mako clearly considers Kuvira's supporters--and probably her by extent--some sort of threat. It's likely a case of, "We don't like what she's doing, but we can't act until she does something really wrong."

The reason for this is most likely because she's doing what others can't: Getting stuff done, and that is causing the general populace to rally behind her. Odds are that, by the time she makes a real move and the leaders can finally stand up to her, it's going to be too late because she has so much support. I'm betting Bolin and Mako are going to have to fight each other at one point, because I'm betting this is setting up to be a civil war in the Earth Kingdom.

The rightful heir, who is a bumbling idiot but will likely start to try and be a decent leader, versus Kuvira, a hardliner who thinks that she should be running things since she knows what's best.

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
I was under the impression that the new season was going to mark Korra's return to TV.

I can't believe they're going to burn off an entire SEASON online only. Weird.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
AgentQV said:
DugMachine said:
[snip]

I think the point of having past lives isn't really to use their techniques, but more to get advice.
I agree that is the main point, but I would argue the technique and power is still important. I think this is heavily hinted at when you hear the combination of the voices of many different Avatars (and Raava in the case of Book 2) while an Avatar is in the Avatar State. Roku himself tells Aang that, ""The Avatar State is a defense mechanism, designed to empower you with the skills and knowledge of all the past Avatars. The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body". He probably didn't know about Raava or that factor wasn't important for the sake of continuity (the story of the first Avatar obviously wasn't fully developed at that point).

Nonetheless, Korra seemed weaker than Aang in their respective Avatar State fights of their respective 3rd Book. That might be a side effect of the show focusing more on street fighting and boxing influences rather than martial arts for bending, but I'd argue Book 3's final fight was more than just that. She had Raava, but not all those Avatars to fuel her power, which to be fair is still a LOT of power. The only reasons Zaheer had an advantage were the OPness of his flight ability and Korra's poison handicap.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
DoctorM said:
I was under the impression that the new season was going to mark Korra's return to TV.

We should honestly count ourselves lucky. If it weren't for the fact that 80% of production was done before Season 3 aired, Nick probably would have cancelled season 4 outright. :/

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
DoctorM said:

it's apparently online only because the ratings were too low for season/book 3 of the Legend of Korra and if you look the ratings are really really low for the last season.. the highest rating fro an episode in book 3 was 1.50 million viewers and the number of viewers for the season 4 premiere was only 1.5 million.. compare that to the season 1 premiere which had 4.55 million viewers while season 2's highest rated episode had 2.60 million.. as good as a show as Korra is and a show I personally think is one of the best shows on TV right now, I think too many people were expecting a rehash of Avatar the Last Airbender...

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
crazygameguy4ever said:
DoctorM said:

it's apparently online only because the ratings were too low for season/book 3 of the Legend of Korra and if you look the ratings are really really low for the last season.. the highest rating fro an episode in book 3 was 1.50 million viewers and the number of viewers for the season 4 premiere was only 1.5 million.. compare that to the season 1 premiere which had 4.55 million viewers while season 2's highest rated episode had 2.60 million.. as good as a show as Korra is and a show I personally think is one of the best shows on TV right now, I think too many people were expecting a rehash of Avatar the Last Airbender...
Also the large and highly extensive advertising campaign to bring up interest in the show in order to branch out and not rely on Spongebob so much was incredibly helpful to the popularity /sarcasm.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
crazygameguy4ever said:
DoctorM said:

Normally I would not say anything but I have seen this opinnion said alot and it bugs me a little. While I agree that some people did go into the show expecting it to be TLA 2.0 many of us did go in expecting something new and then find ourselves disliking it for other reasons.

OT:
It was ok. As much as I have disliked LoK I did find the last few episodes of S3 so I will give S4 a few episodes to get good. My problem is I still don't like the characters much so it is hard to care what happens to them but I love the avatar world so I am going to try a little longer before giving up for good.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Sniper Team 4 said:
I think the reason that Kuvira is not causing world leaders to act is because she's not really doing anything wrong, at least in terms of the law. We already know that she's ruffled several feathers of higher ups based on how Opal reacts (betraying mom is what she says her brother did, and this likely has to do with the fact that he's with Kuvira), and Mako clearly considers Kuvira's supporters--and probably her by extent--some sort of threat. It's likely a case of, "We don't like what she's doing, but we can't act until she does something really wrong."

The reason for this is most likely because she's doing what others can't: Getting stuff done, and that is causing the general populace to rally behind her. Odds are that, by the time she makes a real move and the leaders can finally stand up to her, it's going to be too late because she has so much support. I'm betting Bolin and Mako are going to have to fight each other at one point, because I'm betting this is setting up to be a civil war in the Earth Kingdom.

The rightful heir, who is a bumbling idiot but will likely start to try and be a decent leader, versus Kuvira, a hardliner who thinks that she should be running things since she knows what's best.
Earth Kingdom Civil War?

This could be an awesome fucking season if that's the case.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
Gizmo1990 said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
DoctorM said:

Normally I would not say anything but I have seen this opinnion said alot and it bugs me a little. While I agree that some people did go into the show expecting it to be TLA 2.0 many of us did go in expecting something new and then find ourselves disliking it for other reasons.

OT:
It was ok. As much as I have disliked LoK I did find the last few episodes of S3 so I will give S4 a few episodes to get good. My problem is I still don't like the characters much so it is hard to care what happens to them but I love the avatar world so I am going to try a little longer before giving up for good.
As much as I liked Avatar Last Airbender.. up until the first episode of the final season aired on friday, I could honestly say that I actually like Legend of Korra better then Last Airbender in a lot of ways.. I was excited when i originally heard Avatar was getting a sequel series but didn't know what to expect.. from what I've seen so far the Korra has been a great series that's better then the series it's the sequel to.. because of this, I hope the rest of the final season is better then the first episode... especially the boring villain that people knew was the villain from the moment she appeared on screen.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
crazygameguy4ever said:
Thats a fair opinion. There are things about the show I like it is just that I don't like any of the characters and when you don't care what happens to any of the characters it is hard to get invested in the show.

I should not have quoted you anyway. Looking at your post again I see I was a bit defensive. I have lost count of the number of times I have been told that I am wrong for disliking the show because I simply wanted TLA 2.0 when I really didn't. Anyway that was my bad. Sorry.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I don't think why everyone is tolerating Kuvira is a particularly hard question to answer. They have no other choice. The Earth Kingdom still seems to be hanging by a thread beneath the surface, the Avatar is out of commission, Republic City and the Air Nomads are helping, but with the former as indecisive as ever and with the latter still lacking the numbers to be as effective as they need to be.

The Fire Nation? For historical reasons they're probably more than a little reluctant to intervene in the Earth Kingdom, and I doubt the Water Tribes would be ideally suited to peacekeeping in a largely desert continent even if they wanted to.

The Metal Clan are part of the Earth Kingdom, so they have more of a mandate to restore order than anyone else, and Kuvira's army appears to be one of, if not the only force numerous and organised enough to do the job. So, while it's obvious that many of the others don't like her methods, it's far more convenient than they might care to admit to let her handle the problem... so long as her motives continue to align with theirs, which I'm guessing won't be forever.

SnakeTrousers

Dec 30, 2013
Gizmo1990 said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
Thats a fair opinion. There are things about the show I like it is just that I don't like any of the characters and when you don't care what happens to any of the characters it is hard to get invested in the show.

I should not have quoted you anyway. Looking at your post again I see I was a bit defensive. I have lost count of the number of times I have been told that I am wrong for disliking the show because I simply wanted TLA 2.0 when I really didn't. Anyway that was my bad. Sorry.
I suppose it's probably just an assumption fans make because they see a lot of people criticizing Korra by constantly comparing it to A:TLA. Not so much here, I think, but on less heavily moderated sites such as Youtube.

I'm a fan myself, but I do agree that a lot of the characters are kinda flat. Of the main cast Korra's really the only one I find at all interesting, but it feels like she doesn't get developed enough. I'm hoping Season 4 will improve this. I do like a lot of the supporting cast, though. Tenzin and siblings, especially, were one of the highlights of Season 2 for me.

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
You don't need to compare Korra with Aang to not like her. As a character, she's designed to be abrasive and go against what has been previously established and expected of an Avatar like Aang. Which is a shame because I really liked her in the first season and there seemed like there were inklings of a deeper, more interesting insecure character...up until the last 5 minutes of the last episode of season one where Aang stops on by and shows her the power was inside her all along.

I kinda thought we were going to explore Korra's character more in-depth once it was greenlit for more seasons, but thusfar, the next time we even begin to explore Korra as a character and not Korra as the Avatar is the last few moments of season 3 where she hallucinates seeing all of her past villains and silently shedding a tear in the wheelchair at the very end.

Seems like someone on the writing team has been reading shonen manga and decided to employ the X year time skip to create a false sense of intrigue in reconnecting with characters.

I seriously couldn't care less about whether or not Wu ascends the throne to the Earth Kingdom. The first episode gives off the impression that he's insufferable and out of touch with the affairs of his own nation. He didn't earn the title, he's not doing anything to help aid his nation. Why should I care if Kuvira is going to eventually make a power play? We've seen time and time again that the rulers of the Earth Kingdom are either incredibly inept and sheltered or fascist dictators.

Velventian

Left here for the world to see
May 17, 2013
Sad to see that the producer apparently still have no idea what to do with Korra or the new series as a whole.
I was disappointed with all of korras villains so far and from that article it seems like that is not going to change.
To me it appears the tried to have the series "grow up" together with its audience, which really puts it in its dumb teen years right now.
No clue what it wants it only knows it wants to do things different than ATLA...
Well here´s a tip, don´t fix what isn´t broken...
and for gods sake DON`T BREAK THE AVATAR LINE!!! We lost Aang and Wan because of that... Korra, you gone fucked up -.-

SnakeTrousers

Dec 30, 2013
circularlogic88 said:
You don't need to compare Korra with Aang to not like her. As a character, she's designed to be abrasive and go against what has been previously established and expected of an Avatar like Aang. Which is a shame because I really liked her in the first season and there seemed like there were inklings of a deeper, more interesting insecure character...up until the last 5 minutes of the last episode of season one where Aang stops on by and shows her the power was inside her all along.
Much as I still enjoy the show, it could probably have been a lot better if they'd not just deus ex-machina'd their way out of that one. In fact I really kind of wish they'd just taken the equalist uprising and stretched it out across multiple seasons. I understand that the way it was produced didn't really make that possible, of course, but it still seems like wasted potential. Seeing the avatar reduced to an airbender and forced into hiding while the revolution expands outwards sounds more interesting to me than the villain-of-the-month approach, even if I did like Zaheer.

Apl_J

Jun 16, 2011
I'm enjoying it. Politics done right is always fun to watch. Funny enough, it actually reminds me a bit of Season 1. Wu is, by all rights, the heir or King or whatever you call it, but he's also unfit to rule. Kuvira, on the other hand, has actively been working to unite a broken nation, even if she's rather abrasive about it. She's going to highlight Wu's inability to lead, and as usual its going to work to her advantage, just like it did when the Equalists called out the Republic City council.

Also, S4 is poised to strain a lot of relationships. Mako and Bolin will obviously clash at some point, as Mako is Wu's bodyguard and Bolin is Kuvira's... lieutenant? Bolin's unlikely to abandon Kuvira unless she outs herself as evil. He's already stood against Opal and they're together, so I doubt he'd drop her for Mako either. And let's not forget, the Earth Kingdom has a history of being incredibly shady, and Wu is an entitled rich kid. From there, its easy to slip into doing something deplorable. The Air Nation (did anyone else notice Opal said Nation, not Nomads?) is spread thin despite their peacekeeper role, and they're going to have to fail big time in order to get the titular hero to assume her destined role. I'm thinking Tenzin is going to die, or something along those lines. Asami will hopefully have to pick sides, because she's still a badass as far as I'm concerned, I always like seeing her in action and she's the only nonbender of any significance, other than Varrick. Korra is probably going to be insufferable once they find her, which I both am and am not looking forward to.

Eh, realpolitik is fun. There's a reason why people say not to talk politics with your friends. Can't wait to see how the Avatar crew handles it.