LEGO City Undercover Review

Lornabee

Mar 16, 2013
I just want to point out an error in the tags on the review. TT games is Traveller's Tales, NOT Telltale. I have friends that work there so I just want them to get the recognition for all their hard work! :)

People are asking about other platforms, I think it's very unlikely because it is Nintendo published! That's just a guess though! I don't have any insider knowledge! xP

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
UberPubert said:
Huh... That enlarged pic just made me realize they had crotches.

I mean, I'm sure it'd look weird if there was just empty space there instead, but still. Lego crotches.
Actual lego figures have them too. It's what the legs connect to in order to move.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Lornabee said:
I just want to point out an error in the tags on the review. TT games is Traveller's Tales, NOT Telltale. I have friends that work there so I just want them to get the recognition for all their hard work! :)

People are asking about other platforms, I think it's very unlikely because it is Nintendo published! That's just a guess though! I don't have any insider knowledge! xP
Thank you for pointing that out! Not sure how that slipped past the net but I've fixed the tag.
Rangarig said:
Really nice article and review, Paul. I have three questions though:

• [li]Is there any multi-player/co-op component to the game? What has really sold the LEGO games for me in the past is the jump-in/jump-out multiplayer.[/li]
    [li]Is this a system seller? Is this sooo good, that you would want to own a Wii U for it?[/li]
    [li]Is this going to remain a Wii U exclusive, or can we expect it on PC or other consoles?[/li]
1. Unfortunately, there is no multiplayer.
2. I would say that if you already own a Wii U or plan on getting one, then this game for sure should be in your library. If there were more features involving the Gamepad or multiplayer, then I could see an argument being made for this game being a system seller.
3. It appears this is going to be a Wii U exclusive.

DaKiller

Jan 15, 2011
Quaxar said:
WMDogma said:
Quaxar said:
Uh, are those... the Mythbusters?
http://cdn.escapistmagazine.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/443/443628.jpg

I can't unsee it now!
That's actually from an early mission and one of my favorite parts. You visit a prison to get info on your nemesis Rex, and the whole time it's riffing a bit on The Shawshank Redemption and Morgan Freeman's character from that film.
Oh come on, that's the perfect setting for a "can you escape prison with balloons?" myth!
Mythbusters have already done an episode about prison escapes and an episode about balloon travel, it would just be redundant for them to put it together. I'm going to have to say it's BUSTED.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
WMDogma said:
If you've been playing with LEGO kits since you were a kid (or if you still are)
If you've been playing with LEGO kits since you were a kid, isn't it already implied that you still are, thereby making the parenthetical clause redundant?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I take it you can't actually build stuff, so much as hold down the build button at preset points until preset things appear?

Swapping costumes sounds a lot like that as well, move to point X where you can't continue till you swap costume, so you swap until you reach point Y.

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
Orks da best said:
Now if only it wasn't just on the Wii U, little reason to buy a console for 1 game....
If it wasn't just on Wii U, isn't that even less of a reason, though? People said, "Oh, if only Rayman Legends weren't a Wii U exclusive. There's not much reason to buy a Wii U other than that." Well, now it's not. And now not even Legends is a reason to buy it because everyone can just keep their 360s.

This Wii U drought is never going to end until people stop wishing all the Wii U exclusives go multiplat. No one's gonna pick up a console whose good games keep going to systems they already own.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I find it sad how many people say that the WiiU isn't worth it because it has no games and then when it gets some games, they wish that those games weren't on the WiiU.

Nintendo seriously can't win on the Escapists. Too much hate for it.

Anyways, nice review. It's a must buy game for me. Can't wait to get my WiiU and Lego, as well as several other games.

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
Squilookle said:
This is the Lego game they should have made in the first place, instead of... wait... yep- every other lego game ever made.

Now bring it to PC, and then make a Lego Pirates game that has nothing do do with Pirates of the Caribbean already.
Exactly. Batman and Star Wars wasn't terrible, but this feels more like what a true Lego game should be.

Sucks how it's only for Wii U. It really seems a jerk move to have this just on one console.

Rogue 9

I, Jedi
Jun 22, 2008
Really disappointed this isn't co-op like the past Lego games. The co-op interaction was one of the best parts of those games and having heard good things about this game I was looking forward to crashing around the city with my girlfriend. This fact has just made this game go from one that would've made me get a WiiU for it to something I may get eventually if something else sells me on the WiiU.