Leland Yee Decries Supreme Court Decision

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
"As a result of their decision, Wal-Mart and the videogame industry will continue to make billions of dollars at the expense of our kids' mental health and the safety of our community," Yee said. "It is simply wrong that the videogame industry can be allowed to put their profit margins over the rights of parents and the well-being of children."

Did he forget what he was talking about when he was reached for a comment? That shit makes no sense.

And Wal-Mart? Did that company run over his dog or something? What does that company have to do any with of this?

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Frehls said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
"As a result of their decision, Wal-Mart and the videogame industry will continue to make billions of dollars at the expense of our kids' mental health and the safety of our community," Yee said. "It is simply wrong that the videogame industry can be allowed to put their profit margins over the rights of parents and the well-being of children."

Did he forget what he was talking about when he was reached for a comment? That shit makes no sense.

And Wal-Mart? Did that company run over his dog or something? What does that company have to do any with of this?
He thinks that Wal-Mart sells mature rated games to minors, which it does not without a parent/guardian present and consenting. That is the thought process of most of the bill's proponents, and is completely false. Many people on this site as well seem to think that, too.
Yeah and that's why I'm confused. Wal-Mart is super sniffy about what they sell in terms of violence and other adult content. If anything, I thought he'd name Gamestop or some other store that sells games, not Wal-Mart of all places.

archabaddon

Jan 8, 2007
Can somebody told me when parents lost the right to NOT purchase a game for their kids because it a game is clearly marked as Mature?

You can't? I didn't think so.

As a soon-to-be parent, I'm pretty educated when it comes to ratings on TV, movies, and video games. Just because some parents can't be bothered to discipline their kids, watch what their kids purchase, learn how to make informed decisions, or bothered to make decisions at all, doesn't mean that the educated public needs to be shackled down with burdensome "nanny state" laws.

Thank you, Supreme Court, for not treating the general American public as completely mentally incompetent.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Anyone who would believe this guy is really stupid. He crushes the rights of parents to be parents, not the other way around. It's guys like this that make me glad I never lived in California. It's by far the most troublesome state. They make great headway in legalization of Marijuana, but everything else is up for attack.

Cropsy91

Apr 4, 2010
All I have to say to Leland Yee and his cohorts is: More tears, please.

KeyMaster45 said:
Seventh Actuality said:
Why bother reporting on the reactions of people whose reactions we could all pretty much fill in for ourselves at this point?
Because we won and now we're savoring the deliciously salty tears of the politicians and overbearing parent organizations who were fool enough to waste millions in taxpayer dollars fighting for such a ridiculous bill.
Also, quoted for truth.

xXDeMoNiCXx

Mar 10, 2010
KeyMaster45 said:
The song "Tried to kill the metal" comes to mind when I read this news post.

Jack Thompson tried to kill the games, but games crushed him with logic.
Michale Atkinson tried to kill the games, but games just waited for him to get old.
Leeland Yee tried to kill the games, but games put on their +5 legal armor and brought down the mighty banhammer!

He really should have seen his defeat coming, oh well. Who's next in line to try where others have failed. Keep em coming, we need more XP and phat lootz.

-EDIT-
You know what, I'm just gonna post the song as our victory tune. Just replace Metal and all who tried to kill it with games and the ilk that keep trying to kill it.

You sir have owned this thread. I haven't heard that song in a while.

Marudas

Jul 8, 2010
This is a blow to inattentive parents right to not give a fuck what happens with the money they give their kids. I mean, its the governments job to regulate the content that my kid consumes, not the parents. How dare congress expect me to maybe read the ESRB ratings or check the internet to verify the content present in a game my kid wants to play?

The above is the only way I could think of to make sense of the "lost rights" argument. Parents rights didn't go anywhere. In fact, the Supreme Court just acknowledged and solidified that its up to a parent to decide what content their child consumes, not the governments. There was no infraction in parent's rights, and I can't think of any logical argument aside from the above to claim there is. This is just par for the course attention grabbing noise. You shout key words like "parents, video games, children, violence, evil corporation", and hope people pay attention to you and maybe vote for you or give you money, so long as you promise to make the bad things go away.

I think its doubly funny that the "Parent Television Council" and this joker both tried to drop the same argument. Absurd minds must think alike.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Bolo The Great said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Analyse his sentaces and you will find each word is placed for maximum moral panic.

"Wal-Mart"; 'big evil capitalists that many people are suspicious of' is what he is going for here. He is implying a link between selling games to minors and pofiteering. Wal-Mart has little to do with this but it does have a large amount of bad will attached to it.

"The Videogames industry"; the word implies a faceless corporate mass when infact his legislation is aimed at punishing consumers as well as everyone else associated with gaming.

"make billions of dollars at the expense of our kids" ; again implies that this law has something to do with games being sold to children being the main source of the industrys revenue. He uses "Kids" rather than "Minors" becuase saying that a 17 year old with a car, sex life and full time job can't legally buy a videogame is less sympathetic.

"mental health, safety of our community, profit margins over the rights of parents and the well-being of children" are all meant to instill the idea that the games industry is making a product that cases people to go crazy and kill peeopl to children.

This is of course all insane. Yee's statements show a real lack of contact with reality on the issue and make more for puzzlement than outrage at this point. He has done eveything short of invoke 9/11 and Hitler
Oh my apologies, I didn't factor in bat-shit crazy into that. It has always been about faceless corporations that go after the child, how could I over look that....

In the crazy spectrum I'm surprised he didn't insinuate that someone is Hitler. But in all seriousness, it makes me wonder what his issue is with all this, and I wonder if he has some sort of agenda if he's making those kind of comments, or at the very least his point, if there is one.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Whether or not parents and grandparents actually pay any attention to the ratings handed down by these organizations however is another issue entirely.
They don't. I've seen adults brandish a copy of Everquest and say it's an "adult game" because of the buxom elf on the cover. And it's not like that big T for Teen sticker was invisible.

Grickit

Mar 2, 2011
Uhhh I had to give a photo ID at wal-mart before I could buy Killzone 3. So what the heck is this guy talking about? Every major retailer is following the ESRB and Pegi. That's more than could be said for movies.

captain underpants

Jun 8, 2010
So this guy gets told by the highest court in the land that he's wrong, and he comes out of it still thinking he's right, and he's a SENATOR? This man has no place running a popsicle stand, let alone a public office.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
rembrandtqeinstein said:
U Mad Senator? I bet it sucks to get owned so incredibly hard in public like that. Cry more, your tears are delicious.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/8299-Critical-Miss-Trolling-for-Justice

I believe this comic belongs in this thread.

Maniac536

Jan 14, 2009
This is just unacceptable. Yee lost on the highest possible level, not to mention every level below it, show some humility.

When I described this whole situation to my father what he said echoed pretty strongly, my father doesn't play video games at all or really care about them, but when I told him what the court ruled on today, and what Yee was hoping to win, what he said is something I want to quote in every opinion column right next to Yee's quote. (escapist feel free to do the honors).

"I'm sure your parents worked very hard just so you could have all the freedoms this country offers you, and you've spent your entire career trying to take those very freedoms away from others."

Ian Caronia

Jan 5, 2010
EverythingIncredible said:
This is news?

I mean, you might as well make an article saying that the gaming industry is praising the win.

I don't know, seems like a waste to me.

Well, while we're on the subject, if the parents are so concerned about buying something for their kids that they might deem inappropriate, isn't the burden on them for not learning about it first?
Has been a fact forever, yet now it's a bonafied backed up fact.
So! You hear that lazy parents (not you good parents, you're cool)? Time to step the fuck up and do you duty you lazy pieces of-

...Why am I typing this? They aren't reading this post. Not while their nine year old is using the computer to look up snuff vids.