Leonardo da Vinci Creates New Ways to Stab in Assassin's Creed 2

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Leonardo da Vinci Creates New Ways to Stab in Assassin's Creed 2

Leonardo da Vinci was a pretty cool guy overall, but who knew he was such a big fan of murder?

This new Assassin's Creed 2 video shows the process through which Ezio acquires many of his weapons of murder. After knocking upon an unassuming door, he walks inside a room where his good friend Leonardo da Vinci awaits to create new gadgets that will help him to kill better.

It was revealed long ago that Leonardo da Vinci would be Ezio's partner in Assassin's Creed 2, but I thought he would mostly be lending out less-murderous inventions such as the glider that has already been revealed. According to this video, Leonardo will be all up in the creation of violent murder weapons like the hidden blade, the double hidden blade, the poison blade, and the hidden gun. On a side note, couldn't someone come up with better names than these?

I guess Leonardo da Vinci loves to help Ezio kill people in violent ways. Believe me, I know that this videogame, like most, requires suspension of disbelief and is not in any way a statement on Leonardo da Vinci in real life. It's cool that Ubisoft is aligning the main character of Assassin's Creed 2 with interesting historical figures, and I can't wait to meet Leonardo myself, but I'm just saying it's a little weird to see a man known as a brilliant scholar, inventor, and artist creating better ways to stab a dude in the neck.

(Via: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5376432/where-assassins-creed-iis-ezio-gets-those-wonderful-toys])

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Leonardo did invent a lot of siege weapons and war equipment, didn't he? If he was given a well-paying employer, I don't see why he could shift his specialization to assassinations.

But I have to agree he does lack creativity. "Ezio! Remember that Hidden Blade I crafted for you? If you liked that one, I think you'll go nuts about my newest invention, the - drum roll - Double Hidden Blade!"

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
hidden gun? please keep guns out of my assassins creed.... oh it's too late, i'm sure... damnit...

Repulsionary

Jan 21, 2009
I'm sorta having a little trouble wrapping my head around Leonardo designing *simple murder weapons, but then again, since he is an intelligent guy, it would make sense for him to be the one designing them if he was part of whatever resistance is the main party for ACII.

To be honest, the only name I'm complaining about is Ezio's. Compared to Altair, it's sorta...lackluster. Making up new and interesting names for the simple weapons would be a little bit too much, I think. Naming things after what they are is better than having to remember that the 'spring-action stabberoid' is the hidden blade and whatnot.

That poison blade has renewed my interest in the game, though, and might convince me to sit through lagged-to-hell unskippable cutscenes on my laptop again.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
On the positive side of things, Ezio seems to have a better voice actor than Altair. He only said about 3 lines the entire time, but he seems to at least be able to pronounce things in the right accent. I'll need more of his dialogue to see if they actually did give him the proper accent instead of a 'gritty, action-hero' voice.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Repulsionary said:
I'm sorta having a little trouble wrapping my head around Leonardo designing *simple murder weapons, but then again, since he is an intelligent guy, it would make sense for him to be the one designing them if he was part of whatever resistance is the main party for ACII.

To be honest, the only name I'm complaining about is Ezio's. Compared to Altair, it's sorta...lackluster. Making up new and interesting names for the simple weapons would be a little bit too much, I think. Naming things after what they are is better than having to remember that the 'spring-action stabberoid' is the hidden blade and whatnot.

That poison blade has renewed my interest in the game, though, and might convince me to sit through lagged-to-hell unskippable cutscenes on my laptop again.
I dunno dude, "Ezio Auditore de Firenze" is pretty badass.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
uppitycracker said:
hidden gun? please keep guns out of my assassins creed.... oh it's too late, i'm sure... damnit...
well I imagine they'll keep them primitive so largely single shot affairs. Also since its stealthy and old fashioned you'll be limited to short range pistols (I hope) so not overly different from the knives in no.1

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Ezio: Hello Q Leonardo, what gadgets do you have for me for this mission?

Leonardo: Well Bond Ezio, here we have a perfectly unassuming shoe with a flamethrower attachment.

corporate_gamer

Apr 17, 2008
i hope he character is a lot like the Leonard of Quirm character in the Discworld Books thats a parody of Leonardo da vinci, that would be awesome.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
"Ezio, you're alive!"

"No I'm just a very brilliant zombie."

Not too smart for a genius inventor there...

Repulsionary

Jan 21, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Repulsionary said:

I dunno dude, "Ezio Auditore de Firenze" is pretty badass.
That's a matter of opinion. I liked Altair better. I guess I can't get over the fact that a fair amount of latin-based names tend to come of as...well...a bit on the rainbow side.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
messy said:
uppitycracker said:
well I imagine they'll keep them primitive so largely single shot affairs. Also since its stealthy and old fashioned you'll be limited to short range pistols (I hope) so not overly different from the knives in no.1
Notice how loud they are. If you use it near anyone, he will hear it.

I bet it works exactly like the knives from Assassin's Creed 2.

Still, why are you guys so surprised? Dude was a mad man.

diabloclown

Aug 19, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
it's a little weird to see a man known as a brilliant scholar, inventor, and artist creating better ways to stab a dude in the neck.
Just do a quick Google search of Leonardo Da Vinci weapons [http://www.thetoyzone.com/2009/blog/15-da-vinci-war-machines/], and you may change your view of him. It's cool to see his genius being incorporated into the game.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Hey, whoah there. If there's a guy I would go to for inventing better ways to murder someone, I would totally choose Leonardo Da Vinci. I mean, that guy is one of the coolest people in history.
I wonder how they would top him in Assassins Creed 3, though. If there's a 3, that is.

somekindarobot

Jul 29, 2009
Eruanno said:
Hey, whoah there. If there's a guy I would go to for inventing better ways to murder someone, I would totally choose Leonardo Da Vinci. I mean, that guy is one of the coolest people in history.
I wonder how they would top him in Assassins Creed 3, though. If there's a 3, that is.
How about if it takes place in the Industrial Revolution and Tesla gives you a ray gun?