Lessons You "Learned The Hard Way"

Natasha_LB

Jan 2, 2011
Never go the bathroom alone in a club once you're drunk... there's always a small chance you might fall asleep in there.
Don't trust the adverts, epilators are not painless.
Don't go more than 4 days without sleep.
Always, always, always bring more rolls of film than you need.
Never let people know that you're good with computers, you'll become their go-to IT person.
Always have 2 alarm clocks.
Don't put too much oil the car (The engine will goes on fire if you do!)
And finally... don't over-clock your graphics card if you can't afford to replace it.

Oh and original poster.... you can so eat a week old pizza!! Longest I've ever pushed it is 5 days, but I doubt an extra 2 would make much difference!

Shraggler

Jan 6, 2009
Alcohol - always in moderation, especially while attending school.

Probably the most important thing I've learned, although I don't know if it was the hard way or just a culmination of learned things: Everything is relative.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
I'm reading all of these very carefully and taking notes. I've still got my whole life ahead of me, don't want to ruin it accidentally.

Johnny Impact said:
4) women / romance is not for everyone. My interests are obscure, I suck at conversation, and my looks are average at best. This meant for five solid years I was turned down, put down, stood up, laughed at, lied to, lied about, and made into the butt of a number of extremely unfunny practical jokes. In all that time, despite my best effort, I never knew one single molecule of affection or companionship. I think 5) after establishing a five year record of absolute failure you're allowed to abandon any endeavor as a painful waste of time. This also taught me that 6) it's okay to fail, as long as you learn from it.
In my school there is definitely an attitude of 'If you haven't got a relationship you mean nothing' which has certainly led me to become something of a pariah. I definitely feel for you- I never really tried in the first case, but it seems like a lesson to be learned here is 'its better to have never loved than to have loved and lost.'
Also, press the preview button before posting, that way you'll catch the BBCode errors you made. Learned this 5 seconds ago.

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
DoomyMcDoom said:
Ekit said:
Don't pick your eyes with a kitchen knife.
That sounds like a rather painful lesson, might I ask why you were doing that in the first place?
I was slicing a sausage and got something in my eye, didn't think and...

I didn't hurt my eye though, I only got cut in the nose.

DevilWithaHalo

Mar 22, 2011
* Don't attend the first college that accepts you. Insure they are a decent school and will actually teach you something beyond how to quickly rack up 10's of thousands of dollars of wasted debt.

* Never try to get back together with an Ex. It ended for a reason, and if that reason doesn't come up again, chances are good another one will.

* Never try to stay friends with an Ex. Old habits die hard.

* If your gut is telling you something is wrong, then something is wrong.

* If pain doesn't subside for well over an hour, just go to the hospital (I put up with it for nearly 18hours).

* Appreciate everything other people do, even the terribly mundane. Once you begin expecting certain things it only breeds resentment when they fail. Don't be surprise when they fail.

* Donnie Darko sucks.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Work as hard as you like in high school, it doesn't matter. Good essay and a good interview will get you in virtually anywhere (accepted at University of Chicago with a 2.8 GPA. Take THAT, overachievers!)

Well that was more like vindication than a hard lesson learned...

The lesson part came from a friend's mistake in a similar area. Busted her ass all through high school (4.3 GPA), only got in at some nowhere school because a.) she has almost 0 people skills and botched her interviews and b.) couldn't understand that some things shouldn't be posted on Facebook.

In short, if you don't have the support skills to back yourself up, hard work doesn't count for shit.

(That also applies to EVE Online as well. My lossboard attests to that)

Not that you shouldn't work hard, of course. Just that you need to be able to back up your hard work.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I generally stop myself before I hit rock bottom. Lets see, oh didn't check my balance before major purchases. The cable company double billed me and by the time I noticed I was -800 dollars with 350 of those in fines.

Company refused to pay for it... yea. I learned that lesson.

I also use to steal things when I was a child. Stupid things. So my mom had this cop friend, he brought me to the station and put me in one of the jail cells for a night. That kind scared the crap out of me. Didn't steal anymore.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
The internet has taught me how to give up and walk away from an argument or stuff in general, because it's pointless. I always used to be the type of person who wouldn't give up on anything, no matter what it was.

I learnt that most girls are often not worth my time.

The bronies taught me that it doesn't matter who I am or what I do, because the right type of people for me, won't give a shit and still be my friends.

I can't think of anything else right now.

Edit: I thought of a new one. If someone suddenly seems to have gotten an interest in you, and you don't understand why, you should at least try to find out. I learnt this recently.

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
FatalFox said:
don't bite off more than you can chew,
and learn to say no.
Yeah, in my line of work (programming) learning to estimate correctly is definitely worth doing. Don't think I've ever got burned because of it, but I'm pretty sure some of the others have.

Also bear in mind other people don't know your job, so if it's an hour job, but it's gonna take you a few days to get round to it, say it's gonna get done in a few days not in an hour. Definitely seen people making that mistake, then having someone constantly ask 'em when the work is done, when there's far more important things to do.

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
Girl With One Eye said:
Do not punch your laptop in a fit of anger -_-
Haha yep, I can second that one. Only damage I did was to the "j" key though. Thought I might have killed a RAM chip... turns out I prolly only nudged it out of the slot (checked out fine).

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
Forlong said:
Oh, I just thought of another one.
When taking electronics apart, UNPLUG them first.
Also make sure what you're taking apart doesn't have large capacitors (in terms of energy storage) in it - known people to fall foul of that one. Old CRTs were good for that one.

XSTALKERX

Mar 10, 2012
Never, NEVER touch the back of the furnace no matter how old you are. Learned that lesson the hard way when I was 5 years old.

And also never go to your parent's bedroom when you hear moaning in the middle of the night. I was 7 years old and thought my mom had a bad dream or was sick.... damn how wrong I was.

Girl With One Eye

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Jun 2, 2010
tharglet said:
Haha yep, I can second that one. Only damage I did was to the "j" key though. Thought I might have killed a RAM chip... turns out I prolly only nudged it out of the slot (checked out fine).
Well you got lucky, when I punched mine it completely died. It was still within warranty though, but explaining what happened to customer services was an akward conversation. I tried to act like it somehow got damaged by banging it around on the tube, but the guy couldn't understand how I would break the motherboard doing that. At least it got fixed though :/

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
If you break up with someone, write down everything that made the relationship fail. If you think about getting back together, reference that list and understand that nothing will change.

Also credit card debt is the worst kind. Don't carry a balance...ever.

Gerishnakov

Jun 15, 2010
That life isn't fair, and it isn't easy.

Met a girl while I was in sixth form (high school) before I went to university back in 2006, started going out with her, fell in love, stayed together when I went to uni, stayed together the whole time I was at uni. I graduated, couldn't find work at home or near her, she went to uni. Slowly it became clear to both of us that despite still being in love after nearly 5 years our lives would be shit if we didn't break up and try to make our own separate ways in the world.

We broke up February 2011 and to be honest I still don't think I'm really over it. I'm not saying I'm constant despair, but that pain is still in there somewhere.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
ToTaL LoLiGe said:
Xartyve2 said:
I should have paid more attention is school. Yes, it's a cliche but boy did that one come back to bite me in the ass.
I should have paid more attention in primary school, not knowing your times tables is a *****.
YES THIS. Jesus, 7s are easy for me but 8s just go over my head.

I'm technically top set maths as well, I don't know my 8 x tables past 8 x 4. -_-

FatalFox

Jan 18, 2012
tharglet said:
FatalFox said:
don't bite off more than you can chew,
and learn to say no.
Yeah, in my line of work (programming) learning to estimate correctly is definitely worth doing. Don't think I've ever got burned because of it, but I'm pretty sure some of the others have.

Also bear in mind other people don't know your job, so if it's an hour job, but it's gonna take you a few days to get round to it, say it's gonna get done in a few days not in an hour. Definitely seen people making that mistake, then having someone constantly ask 'em when the work is done, when there's far more important things to do.
very true, I've done that mistake before too.