Let?s Get Off the Xbone Hate-Train Already

Gidiel167

May 13, 2009
uh how about no? after what they tried to do with the xbox one, they lost me as a customer. I dont care that they reversed almost everything, i do not trust them to stay on this course without revisiting these policies at a later date. i cancelled my xbox live and now my 360 is collecting dust, until Bioshock Infinite's DLC finishes coming out, because i was stupid enough to buy the season pass.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
No, let's not and say we did. Time is no reason for us to forget about Microsoft's shady policies.

I'm not suggesting everyone buy a PS4, Sony hasn't really added much to it's next generation and other than being not totally horrible when it comes to DRM (which of course they still have a lot of) they're not much better than Microsoft.

But just because the other option is not significantly better doesn't mean we need to give Microsoft anything. They launched a gaming console that had absolutely not redeeming qualities, that everyone hated so much they had to totally rethink their strategy. To me that means I'm staying away from the Xbox One entirely.

To sum it up, when it comes to consoles this generation we have 3 bad options:

Wii U - Like the Xbox 360 but with no games.
Xbox One - More money, annoying Kinect, not much different from last gen now that we all complained about it.
PS4 - Not much different from last gen.

So yeah, minor iterations all around.

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
the thing for me is that MS needs to regain my trust after what they had tried to do, and can very well still do it. I no longer hate on the Xbox One, I am just going to wait a long while before I purchase one.

Stillgard

P.O.D.
Jun 6, 2011
Despite my better judgement I have thrown my towel in with Xbox one myself. 1) All my software is on Xbox One. Including my live profile. I hate starting new on the sony Network (which btw is not the most safest of places to keep your information). And you rarely ever see network outages on Xbox Live. Unless there's a Hardware update. And I am looking forward to the performance increase. As I also have a comcast subscription. The DRM was just a witch hunt to begin with and we all know it. Now combine the price list compared to the PS4 you'll notice where they spent the extra money at. I have no problem with it. I've said this a thousand times already but I guess it bears repeating. Trust me people. Once you start playing with it. You'll stop complaining bout it.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
First off, I'm incredibly happy with my PC and am only on the hate train because "blargh consumer rights" and other such hogwash. Second, could you put up a source for being able to turn the kinect off while having the xbone on (other than black tape). And third, the check up isn't just about the reliability of the user's internet, it also matters about the servers that Microsoft has and whether they go done for an indefinite amount of time along with the restrictions on launch. (like what, 21 countries at launch?)

Edit: Also because not being backwards compatible is stupid, from any company.

Dead Century said:
You can't tell me what to do! *begins shoveling more coal into the engines*
I'm a conductor, muthafucka!
Sir how did you get in here? No passengers are allowed.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Why would I do such a thing considering how much trouble microsoft has given me during the 360 life cycle with their product? They made the system out of poor quality giving me nothing but grief, I have a permanent ticket on this hate train.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Hagi said:
I fully agree with the OP.

Get off the hate train.

Join me on the apathy train of not giving a shit about the XBone. You get all the benefits of the hate train, like not spending money on a crappy console, without any of the downsides, like increased blood pressure.

It's a much better place to be.

Hurry up! Because the apathy train is departing, since we don't really care to be in this thread anyway.
Don't need to hurry. I've been the one driving the thing since it first set out.

I always avoid the hate trains. They're awful, horrible things. The carriages smell bad. The seats are uncomfortable. They play awful films during the trip. The microwave meals are dry and cardboard-y. The beverage carts are always out of the drinks I want. And worst of all, 90% of your fellow passengers are angry, bile-filled, confrontational jerks who throw trash on the floor and dirty up the restrooms.

Seriously...fuck those hate trains. I want nothing to do with them.

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
Lightknight said:
Anthony Corrigan said:
The thing which has stuck in my head is this interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RtSGFryKwo

this dickhead actually pulled the microphone out of angry joes hand and attacked him even though this was the softest interview I have ever seen.
That's really awkward. It certainly ended up being a lie (as it was immediately reversed).

Haha, it actually doesn't limit it? He actually said that requiring online connectivity all the time doesn't limit it? No, things being an option are what opens up the options. Not things being mandatory.

He talks so much about it being the future. It's like he forgets that the customers are in the now.
angry joe was REALLY soft, backing off as soon as the twit even looked at him wrong and he STILL attacked him
Yeah, he was all smiles and seemed really passionate about XBO being the console it could be. That really came across. I do feel like this video shows a bit of rudeness to an individual but I personally place their insults of entire segments of their customer bases to be even worse.
I agree except for one thing, this is a member of the media and this is your launch. This isn't some little back room comment that you make against one particular consumer which happens to get recorded, it wasn't even a secret interview that he didn't know was being recorded so he thought he could be a dick and get away with it. This was an openly recorded interview at your big launch party. This is the time you should MOST be thinking about PR and everything should be nice and friendly to get sales. The way he treated that interview WAS a reflection of there attack on consumers because it showed that they thought they didn't even need to hide there nasty side, they could air it publicly and STILL people would buy it.

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
theyre attempt to get even more money out of us backfired, so they re-evaluated and changed the system so they wouldnt lose any more money.

whatever they did or didnt do, at no point were your feelings and personal interpretation microsoft's point of interest. everything they do they do to make money, and their biggest failure was announcing features that so poorly disguised that goal.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
How about no?
Microsoft has lost my trust and respect with the shit they pulled, and just removing some of the offending 'features' isn't nearly enough to win me over as a customer. Besides, it's still 100 bucks more expensive because it has a camera I wouldn't buy if it was free.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I don't hate Microsoft, I just gave up in them.

The DRM broke this completely. The internet where I live doesn't allow me to connect consoles to the internet so it wouldn't be just when the power went out or I went away to a place without internet. Now the thing is this is how it works for most student appartments over here. Basically a huge chunk of the target audience won't be able to use the console.

Now that doesn't matter though since they removed it. However the family sharing is the perfect example of why I lost faith in Microsoft.what exactly is it? How does it work? They announced that there would be such a rhing and held the details hidden extremely well. They left a llot of things uncertain for us to speculate about rather than doing a proper job of explaining it. Now that's been the case for almost every feature. Used games were not possible to use, you needed to pay a fee, you could lend the, to friends in your frieend list, you could get them from only some retailers who had agreed with the publisher on the terms. They removed that bullshit too with the DRM... Kinda... They said that particular kind would be left in the hands of the publisher. Leaving the subject vague.

Now let's not forget the original announcement video promising that it wouldn't be a game system. It would be a media box which by some coincidence also plays games. This is actually something I really like. I love getting media features for my game consoles. Why am I bringing this up? Because most of the awesome features won't work here. That's right, most of the fewtures that were more important than the fact that it plays games aren't possible to use.

All in all I am utterly indifferent to this console. Give me a reason to buy it and I might. Right now I meed something more. They might impress me in the future and I might end up with one, but it will be when Microsoft fives me a reason, not some random guy on the internet.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
1) Xbox One was built from the ground up to be always connected to the internet, if you thing some of those always online requirements aren't going to sneak back in you're a more trusting man then I.

2) The Xbox 360 had the worst failure rate of any console to date, I'm not going to just up and forget that. You can read all the PR hype, that bullshit about being on for 10 years without fail, or you can look at some of the rumors of possible throttling down the specs since currently the one is burning through it's ram. Look at the system build, those huge vents were put there because the system already burns hot.

3) Kinect 2, costly piece of tat that actually has the selling point of "it can be turned off", which is the system can be turned off because I've yet to see that you can have the Xbox One running and not have the Kinect working. Also call me when it works as well as they say it does in the consumer home, most of the PR hype Microsoft has said was also said about the original Kinect.

4) Specs are relatively the same, but PS4 still has been shown to run faster, and thats before the possible scale back of specs due to the system frying itself.

5) I like to play Japanese games, the Xbox One won't even be coming out in Japan for a year, also most Japanese developers learned their lesson with the 360, so yeah the Xbox One is going to suck with Japanese games.

6) Microsoft has flip flopped so much the production team probably is in the shit, if they're still doing major revisions a few months before launch then their shit is not going to be together, it's going to be a piece of shit thrown together all to get out the same year the PS4 comes out, I'd rather they waited and built the system around policies they've long set in place instead of this "lets wait until the internet tells us what to do" mentality.

7) What the hell's up with the little @Kylzavara thing?

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
NiPah said:
2) The Xbox 360 had the worst failure rate of any console to date, I'm not going to just up and forget that. You can read all the PR hype, that bullshit about being on for 10 years without fail, or you can look at some of the rumors of possible throttling down the specs since currently the one is burning through it's ram. Look at the system build, those huge vents were put there because the system already burns hot.
I always thought that was odd actually, if anything the PS3 should have been more suseptable to overheating because its power supply is internal where as the Xbox 360 has it external so the main source of heat is away from the sensitive components

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Things I will not do to play my console:

1) pay the extra up charge on my cellular plan to allow tethering in the off chance my land Internet goes out for 24 hours and I want to plan my games. Yes, that is an option, but its is a dumb one.

Here is a thought. If you think Xbox One is great good for you. I am glad! Do yourself a favor and ignore the haters. They don't matter, and they definitely couldn't care less about what you think.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Stillgard said:
I hate starting new on the sony Network (which btw is not the most safest of places to keep your information).
At least with PSN they had to actually steal it, instead of MS just auto-forwarding the lot to the NSA

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
I didn't read every response so I apologise if this has been said already.

Family sharing? 10 people playing one game?

Think about this for a second. The console that wanted to do away with used games because you know used games hurt publishers so bad they only made millions in profit. That same console was going to approve 1 sale = 10 copies? Yeah I don't think so somehow. That little piece about it being timed demos with the option to purchase at the end sounds much more realistic.

As for the rest of it, beyond the spyware kinect, no opinion. I pretty much only use a console for Netflix and movies these days. Microsoft wants to charge me to use a service I'm already charged for. That is why I won't be buying an Xbone. I don't hate it, I just have zero interest in Microsoft's offering this time round.

INF1NIT3 D00M

Aug 14, 2008
Ooh! Ooh! I had an image for this one!

In all seriousness, it doesn't really matter what train you're on. Who cares if other people don't like the console? If you like it, buy it. It makes absolutely no difference whether or not an outspoken subset of gamers "hate" the Xbox One. I'd say that roughly half the console market's target audience will still buy Microsoft's machine, roughly half will buy the PS4, and a small minority will pick up both.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm not buying either. As long as Bungie decides to bring Destiny to PC, I'll be playing everything worth playing, same as people who buy either console.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Zelgon said:
Yes, Xbone costs $100 more. I don?t think that is going to break the bank, and what you?re getting out of it is a complete experience, even if you want to disable it.
You know for some people $100 (£80 for us Brits) does break the bank. I should spend that money with the option of "if you don't like it you can turn it off"? Which means I'd be paying £80 for something I won't use. I'm not going to pay the extra money for a console I believe is less appealing than the PS4. That £80 can help pay off the mortgage or be spent on my girlfriend.

But I mean, would being able to tell your console to turn on by your voice be such a bad thing? Not to mention all the other features the Kinect offers? It all comes down to opinion I guess but to me I think having Kinect is worth the extra 100 bucks.
You said yourself, opinion. Personal opinion. I don't think the Kinect is worth it, neither do a lot or people. The only reason I got a Kinect for my 360 was cause it was second hand and didn't come with a box so it was dirt cheap. Even then I can't even remember the last time I turned it on. It's a pointless piece of hardware in my opinion and not worth my extra money. The Kinect should be an optional extra not a part of the console forced onto us and if a lot of other gamers share that view then it may impact the Xbox One's sales.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I departed the train a couple of weeks ago but mainly to sit back on my Nintendo Steam-boat waiting room. Anyway, Xbox One:

I was unironically impressed by the Fantasy Football thing. That is the absolute coolest looking Fantasy Football app I have ever seen; it almost makes me wish I was into Football...but I'm not and never will be because screw professional athletes and, professional sports in general.

When it comes to the Hardware, Microsoft still hasn't done anything about that one big clause...you know; the one that goes something like "We have the right to change terms of service at any time and, for any reason." They built a system from the ground up that is meant to do what was explained during E3 so within the next few years you can bet those old, unpopular features will be implemented.

As for Kinect2.0 that is the deal breaker. I live in a room too small to accommodate it, am moving to a much larger room and yet it will still be too small to accommodate the Kinect2.0. If I did have the space, I'm still iffy about having a camera/microphone in my room watching and listening as I play games while wishing I could play other games. Besides, since it's made for advertisers and developers/publishers it won't know how to advertise for me when I talk about how much I want a new Crimson Skies or Otogi.

The extra hundred dollars Microsoft are charging is another blemish, especially since it sounds like it could potentially charge $249.99 for the Xbox One if it didn't ship with the fucking Kinect. Either way; that's just an extra $500 to spend on 3DS, Wii U, and classic games.

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
Zelgon said:
le snipperoony
Well, looks like someone's been struck with Slowpoke Syndrome. Seriously, you're so late to picket the Xbone-hate train that it has done the circuit several hundred times over and the rail line has been retired.

But if you must necro this subject, I'll put my two cents on the points you're discussing.

Exclusives
Not a single game from either list that remotely piques my interest, so I guess it's tie. Go teams!

Firepower
Given how pointlessly expensive it's getting to make games slightly more graphically detailed/powerful so long as either console can run their games smoothly and efficiently I couldn't care less from then on in.

DRM
So Microsoft and friends are bringing out their defenses against piracy again, eh? When will they learn that no amount of DRM is going to prevent someone from cracking and pirating the games. DRM is largely a static defense, and static defenses don't work against adaptive opposing forces. It's getting to be that every time someone wheels out some new DRM I get the mental image of some civilian contractors building a wall, then daring a bunch of military demolitions experts to blow it up. It's rather pathetic, because all that the DRM does is punish and annoy the people who do buy their products legally, because it's certainly not stopping the ones who don't. Bonus it that all the features that the new and innovative things that online "offers" can be done better by things you can find in any remotely techie household or by older and consoles.

Family Sharing
A few guys have already pointed this out, but I want to reinforce the point here. The family sharing was confirmed to be a glorified demo system that let other members of your family/"family"friends play the game for one hour before it prompted them to buy it. Usually a proper demo starts the player off in a gameplay heavy section to give them a feel for the game, but with family sharing it's starts right from the beginning, so starting cut scenes and basic setup already cut into that very short window of play. Heck imagine if the game in question is like MGS4, where there's 22 minutes of cutscenes to slog through before you even get to see any gameplay. That is horrendous.

But even if Family Sharing worked like Microsoft was initially implying (ie being able to play the full game for free), its benefits are situational at best. First off, you'd need to have multiple Xbones in the same house, but because most families aren't rich enough to be able to afford multiples of the same gaming platforms (and those that could wouldn't likely care about paying an extra 60 bucks to get everyone their own game) having to do the authentication rigmarole between accounts is a lot more complicated and lengthy than just keeping the game disc in and logging onto different accounts. Second is that those multiple XB1 users must all have a lot of game preferences in common, which with the possible exception of family-oriented games (4eg the Lego series), can be a rather hit and miss affair, so YMMV. Finally comes internet connection. Now I do have friends who I share some of my tastes in gaming with, but more than just a few of them have spotty internet at best in their areas, and it'd be faster from me to drive/bus it to their place (which in some cases would take 3+ hours one way), give them the physical disc, and transit all the way back because downloading a whole game it going to take much longer than that. With internet as spotty as it is even in industrialized nations, there's gonna be a very inconsistent effectiveness to the whole ordeal.

So on the whole, Family Sharing (as originally implied) on XB1 seemed to be designed towards a very specific demographic rather than most gamers who bought their previous product, and with the details revealed as it was removed, it wasn't even close to what we hoped it would be. Mediocre all way round

Kinect/Extra $100
Now I don't see why they need to make the Kinect a required piece of hardware to come with, especially since they've now made it entirely optional (though I wasn't thrilled about it being necessary earlier on either). Not only is the Kinect largely uninteresting to me due to the number of useless features it has (there is no real appreciable time difference between saying "Xbox on" and turning it on with the controller, especially seeing as you'll usually need the controller to play anyways with the bonus of less possible fuckups. And Skype on an Xbox? Why when in game chat will do the same thing?), but given the dimensions of my usual living spaces it's also unusable unless I manage to meld with the wall. Now why would I spend an extra hundred dollars on something I have to buy, yet I never will and can never use? At least with the PS3 it's optional, which saves me a not insignificant amount of money I could spend on games or more mundane things like rent or food.

All together
So yeah, the Xbone really didn't sell it for me the way it was. Even now it's still just a noncommittal "eeeh". But the reason why I still hate the Xbone is not just because of the features and how they restricted the players, but of how they treated the whole debacle. Now granted the PS3 had a lot of the similar features, but the guys in charge at Sony had the decent sense to realize that they'd made a mistake and fixed the problem before they even previewed their new console, while Microsoft, who had several weeks to fix their problems, not only actively defended their choices but vehemently told us, their consumer base and the people who in the long run pay all their salaries, that we were wrong and didn't know what we were talking about or what we wanted. That kind of stubbornness and stupidity is the real reason why I'm the blipping conductor of the Xbone Hate Train, because when someone on a sinking ships seriously thinks that the best way to solve the problem is to set the ship on fire too, you're never going to trust another word they say no matter how much they change their tune.