Let?s Get Off the Xbone Hate-Train Already

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Zelgon said:
Family Sharing

Now this is what excited me most out of everything.

There was a lot of speculation about what this really means, but I?ll break it down. It meant you and 10 people could be in a ?family? and share your libraries. You and the ?parent? could play the same game together, and anyone in the family could play the full version of the games. I know there was some debate if this meant just a trial run of the game, but Spenser confirmed with Kotaku in a interview that it was the full game, no restrictions. Since all the policies were taken out, we will never see how that would have looked like. Needless-to-say it was going to be an exciting new feature that everyone would enjoy.
Sorry my friend, but that's just plain wrong.

You do realize that you're contradicting yourself with your argument of "DRM is a necessity because the companies are constantly battling piracy" then go on to explain how piracy works by ripping off other people's games and just not taking your console online and the assertion that the Family Sharing Program would allow people to have 100% complete unrestricted access to the games, right? Don't you see how that's essentially allowing 10 people on everyone's friends list to "legally pirate" those games? If they can play them any time they want for however long they want, it's just the same as them owning the game without having to pay for it.......how is that not the same as what pirates do? Do you honestly think MS (and game companies, for that matter) would be perfectly fine with a system that promotes millions of players not having to pay for games?

When it's mentioned that the Family Sharing Program would allow unrestricted access to the full version of the game, it was for a limited time only before they'd be prompted to buy the game for themselves. While a demo will keep certain features locked out, the Family Sharing would indeed allow complete access to the full game: meaning there would be no features locked out. MS itself said that they were still kicking around ideas on how it would work, most likely giving those who were "borrowing" the game 45 minutes to an hour to play the game before being prompted to buy it (the source being an article on this website that I've searched for 3 times and can't seem to find otherwise I'd link it).

And when you think about it, unless they want 10 people on everyone's friends list getting free access to games they haven't bought for themselves, that's the only way it COULD work: let them play it for a while before telling them to buy it for themselves.

With regards to DRM:
Everyone has known about and hated the restrictions of DRM since long before the Xbox One declared that it would be using it, so people hating the Xbox One for using it shouldn't come as any surprise. It's not an argument you're going to win. Everyone knows it's about anti-piracy, but everyone also knows that means your ability to play the games you bought and paid for is dependent entirely upon your internet connection and the stability of the servers. If the servers go down: you're boned. Your internet connection goes down: you're boned. One needs only look at the disasters that were SimCity and Diablo III to see why all the hate for it is well-deserved. Just saying it's a necessary evil isn't going to change anyone's hearts on that matter.

With regards to the Kinect:
Beyond the fact that it's just plain creepy, the fact remains that it was a failed product when MS first tried it on the 360. Did Sony come out and say "The Playstation Move controllers are now the mandatory controllers for the PS4!"? Nope. They learned their lesson: motion capture just isn't popular. No need to stuff it down people's throats. MS, on the other hand, said "Screw consumer's opinion on the matter, we're going to charge and extra $100 and force this thing "no one"(exaggerating) asked for onto EVERYONE!" The reason developers didn't make games for the Kinect was because relatively few people bought the thing, so there was no point in investing in it. Why did only a relative few people buy it? Because the majority of people didn't want it. Shipping it with every Xbox One isn't going to change the fact that many people don't want to dance around like a Loony Toon in their living rooms to play a game. And once again you contradict yourself. Sure, people can completely turn it off if they want to, but if more games are developed with Kinect features shoehorned in, they'll have to keep it turned on. And then we're right back to all the audio/visual/biometric spying that creeped people out about it in the first place.

With regards to the games coming out at launch:
Well what games are good and what games aren't is entirely opinion based. Though I will say that quantity does not equate to quality.

In summation: I'm not an MS hater, I've just looked at what they brought to the table and said "Nope, not interested". No amount of spin from you or MS is going to change the fact that I just don't want an Xbox One. I'm not particularly interested in a PS4, for that matter, either...so at the moment it looks like I'll likely be signing up for the genetic enhancements needed to join the PC Master Race when all is said and done.
I tried to write a post, then I read this and thought "why bother".

Good summary. So good, I feel like quoting the entire thing in case someone missed it. Bravo sir.

R3dF41c0n

Feb 11, 2009
On the subject of DRM I'd like to share a bit of my experience.

My roommate's rabbit chewed through the power cord going to my router and we had to wait a little over a week for a replacement power adapter. During that time we didn't have internet.

I was able to play every game installed on my hard drive, even the ones through Steam (via offline mode). I could not play anything on Origin even if I wanted to.

I personally can't support a platform that prevents people from playing its games. The fact that they (MS) thought of doing something like that in the name of convience and combating piracy is ridiculous. The only way to beat the pirates is to provide a better product.

That's my take on it anyway.

ryessknight

May 30, 2013
No,no i wont. The xbones still shit. The launch games suck and the kinect is still crap. Oh and fuck family sharing it was stupid and all it was was a tiny little bone to distract people from the pile of shit they were trying to force on people. Yea the 180 was nice but it doesnt change the fact that there releasing a poorly made system. Im a all system guy too and microsoft burned me bad this next cycle. Hopefully they'll learn from there crash and burn this coming gen and release a better console later, but till then the xbone can go die in a corner for all i care.

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
Hagi said:
I fully agree with the OP.

Get off the hate train.

Join me on the apathy train of not giving a shit about the XBone. You get all the benefits of the hate train, like not spending money on a crappy console, without any of the downsides, like increased blood pressure.

It's a much better place to be.

Hurry up! Because the apathy train is departing, since we don't really care to be in this thread anyway.
The apathy train? Why dear Hagi, I can think of a much BETTER train to be on...

OT: I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to hate whatever I want to as long as I have reason for it, and people had plenty of reasons to hate the Xbone, so I'm not overly sure it constitutes a "Hate-train" per se, at least not for many of us. And you just creating a topic to say "Stop hating on stuff", when there hasn't been all that many topics on it recently seems rather counter intuitive.
So no, I no longer hate the Xbone seeing as it's reversed most of the stuff I disliked (except for the kinect still), doesn't mean I'm going to buy it though, or start trusting the guys who were so adamantly trying to push it onto consumers.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
I'm not too comfortable with a game console that can watch you while you sleep. Drop the kinect(and the price) microsoft then will talk.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
I will stop hating when they apologise for all the abuse and insults hurled at the consumer, yes they reversed some policies but that was only to prevent suicide and I haven't seen any policies that really stand out to make the xbone a better option, especially since I don't live in the US and am not a huge sports fan and don't watch much tv, compared to the other GAMES consoles. Once they apologise and remove the mandatory kinect I will stop the hate but they need to do more pro-consumer and pro-gamer policies and options to get me to forgive them and I won't forget what they tried to do either.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Zhukov said:
But it's comfy. The hate train has leather seats and they're about to serve drinks.
Not to mention the gentleman handing out the fine cigars and free money.

Pretty sweet train if you ask me.

OT: I'm indifferent to the Xbox One because I'm not interested in it's exclusives and nor am I willing to pay £80 more for Kinect.

It's also been very quiet on that front, seems you may have an axe to grind.

Angelowl

Feb 8, 2013
Just wanted to comment that I haven't hated the Xbone or microsoft, due to it not affecting me. On the other hand, I have been laughing the whole time. It's quality comedy to see a huge corporation failing so spectacularly again and again and again and not comprehending why people keep complaining. Especially when they tell everyone their super-secret masterplans at press-conferences. Relying on customers not knowing what they're doing for example.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
They deserve some goodwill after all this, and that's why I feel like I have to defend them. It's funny because I've never owned an Xbox, and I'm not even planning on buying the Xbox One. But I still feel that the way Microsoft has been unfairly hammered by absolutely everyone - everywhere - is wrong.
I am sorry but no they really don't deserve any good will for releasing the console as it should have been originally announced. The DRM was a disaster waiting to happen the fact that Microsoft were under the impression that their DRM would fly with their existing customer base shows one of two things

1). the guys in charge at MS have been living in a cave for the last ten years given that EVERY form of constant online DRM has suffered from the same backlash and that's before you take in to account the fact that EVERY form of alwways on DRM has also suffered from technical failures of one sort or another.

2). MS has so little opinion of it's customers that it seriously thought that they would just gloss over the DRM and buy the console anyway.

MS didn't back track because it's customer asked them too, they saw the outrage and continued to defend the system. In direct contradiction to what it's customer base was saying they still pushed on with one marketing disaster after another trying to defend the DRM and only when the pre order numbers started to roll in, or to put it another way when they saw the backlash WAS actually going to hit their bottom line, then AND ONLY then did they so the backtrack.

But they couldn't just backtrack and admit they were wrong, no they backtracked but then added the condition that by not having the always on DRM you could no longer have the family and friends sharing system. They essentially stamped their foot and in a huff said yeah we'll get rid of the DRM but we're also taking away the one potentially decent thing the console could do. Not for one second do I believe that they couldn't have implemented this system without their being underlying DRM.

Do MS deserve the hate, well kinda. I may go as far as to say ok they have tried to put some of right so maybe some slack should be given but they certainly don't deserve any good will, end of the day they gimped the consoles function to punish the DRMs haters, they are forcing the Kinect on a customer base who mostly don;t want it, at least not in it's currently functional form and they are expecting people to pay $100 more than their more powerful, more competent competitors model.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
TrulyBritish said:
Hagi said:

Get off the hate train.

Join me on the apathy train of not giving a shit about the XBone. You get all the benefits of the hate train, like not spending money on a crappy console, without any of the downsides, like increased blood pressure.

Hurry up! Because the apathy train is departing, since we don't really care to be in this thread anyway.

This is an XBone train though, I'm not sure I feel comfortable on a love train that comes equipped with a Kinect. Saying 'I swear! That's never happened before!' becomes quite awkward when there's video evidence of the contrary.

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
Hagi said:
TrulyBritish said:
Hagi said:

Get off the hate train.

This is an XBone train though, I'm not sure I feel comfortable on a love train that comes equipped with a Kinect. Saying 'I swear! That's never happened before!' becomes quite awkward when there's video evidence of the contrary.
*shushes softly*
No Hagi, let go of your hate ...
*lights incense*
let all thoughts of the Xbone go....
*dings tiny cymbals*
let it no longer exist in your mind...
*breathes deeply*
Just ride the Looove train.....
Wait, when did I become a hippy? :p

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
Am I not allowed to hate whatever I want? I should change my opinions on something just because you say so? Not a chance. Sorry, but I don't enjoy paying $100 for a stupid accessory I'll never EVER use. I also don't like paying ~$60 a year for multi-player that is no better than any PC game's multiplayer capabilities. And, on top of it all, I don't enjoy paying $500 for inferior hardware to what I already have on my PC. So, until further notice, I'll be sticking with my PC; but I might buy a Wii U someday. I'll be staying on the hate-train, and there's nothing you can do about it... sorry.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Zelgon said:
Family Sharing

Now this is what excited me most out of everything.

There was a lot of speculation about what this really means, but I?ll break it down. It meant you and 10 people could be in a ?family? and share your libraries. You and the ?parent? could play the same game together, and anyone in the family could play the full version of the games. I know there was some debate if this meant just a trial run of the game, but Spenser confirmed with Kotaku in a interview that it was the full game, no restrictions. Since all the policies were taken out, we will never see how that would have looked like. Needless-to-say it was going to be an exciting new feature that everyone would enjoy.
Actually, this is not at all what family sharing would have been.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.819460-Poll-Heartbroken-Microsoft-Employee-Explains-How-Family-Sharing-Would-Have-Worked

"When your family member accesses any of your games, they're placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour. This allowed the person to play the game, get familiar with it then make a purchase if they wanted to. When the time limit was up they would automatically be prompted to the Marketplace so that they may order it if liked the game. We were toying around with a limit on the number of times members could access the shared game (as to discourage gamers from simply beating the game by doing multiple playthroughs)."

"Needless-to-say" it was actually going to be shit.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
These game companies are like hookers. Follow me on this... I'm trying to make a point.

(Also, this is from a straight male's perspective)

Wii U is the same hooker that you've been going to since the '80s. Every so often she does something new, but you know what you get with her. If you want her to do what her older sisters would do, she's compatible and will do them gladly. Unfortunately, she's riding off the fame of her sisters right now and doesn't do a whole lot of original things yet.

PS4 is the hooker that everybody loves. Her focus is on one thing and one things only: sex. Yeah, she does other stuff too, but sex is what she's known for. Yeah she has some issues, like any other broad that you see on the street, but she's no worse than her older sister, PS3. Granted, she simply won't do what her sisters do at all, but she has a lot of new tricks up her sleeve.

But the Xbone... she was a hooker with a penis... and she didn't want to be on bottom. All she wanted to do was fuck you in the ass, and she expected you to like it. In fact, she expected you to thank her for it. You see, most straight men don't like being fucked in the ass. In response to this, nobody wanted to buy her. They'd rather buy her rival PS4. So she got an operation. Now that she no longer has a penis, she expects you to forget that she wanted to fuck you in the ass. Some people are okay with her now, and would gladly sleep with her, but many other people still remember that that she had a dick and will never unsee it.

I hope that clears things up. Your actions have consequences, and your words have weight. You can't get me to unhear what you have to say nor forget what you did. Don't fuck with the consumer.

IamGamer41

Mar 19, 2010
Kinect has been and always will be bullshit. Just like anything Jim Sterling says. A poorly implemented gimmick to try and be innovated like Nintindos wii mote but we see how that has petered out now. there is no need for that shit. It does not add to any immersion and untill we can all jack into the matrix and be like Neo it all ways will be.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
TomWiley said:
Miss G. said:
I can understand you trying to defend them as a company, I used to do it too when I still owned a PC and Windows was the only OS I've known in my household since I was 5. They lost me and a lot of my family and friends as customers a couple of years ago to Apple (and other companies for other things) and everything they say now comes with a bad taste, regardless if it sounds nice. Nowadays, as long as they don't hold a monopoly on things I want, I don't have to trust them with anything again. To me, every time you post in this thread, it feels like you're defending someone who used to and still does unsavory things to others (if you weren't personally affected negatively) in return for being loyal and/or paying customers and that we're in the wrong for pointing out our dislike (or hatred in some cases) and concerns as if they don't matter. Even though I personally don't have a Microsoft thing in my life anymore I don't want them to succeed with this product and I don't want other big companies to do similar things if Microsoft doesn't at least get noticeably hit in the checkbooks for this crap. I want healthy competition this gen and if they need to lose for now or for a few years to learn from the mistakes they've been making lately (like Sony did at the beginning of last gen), so be it.
I also want healthy competition which is why I don't want the Xbox One to fail miserably. As I said, they're original policies weren't anywhere near as restrictive as people made it seem, and yet they've been everything they can to backtrack on the issues people criticized them for.

They deserve some goodwill after all this, and that's why I feel like I have to defend them. It's funny because I've never owned an Xbox, and I'm not even planning on buying the Xbox One. But I still feel that the way Microsoft has been unfairly hammered by absolutely everyone - everywhere - is wrong.
I believe that the hammering wouldn't have been so bad if whoever was speaking on the XBone's department at any given time weren't so arrogant, barely listening to us from ivory towers, ignoring their core base for people who more than likely have cable boxes/SmartTVs/computers/Tablets etc and wouldn't feel a need to get this redundancy of a product if they were even in-the-know enough to have been watching its announcement, and publicly calling us backward, ignorant, gullible people. The beginning of a new console generation should never have to begin tainted with feelings of dread and crippling uncertainty for the future of our passion. If Sony had done the same instead of sticking with the status quo these threads would've been filled people hating both, switching to PC for good if they never bothered with one before, maybe a few about the WiiU, or loosing all faith in the industry etc.

Like I said, at the beginning of this gen Sony somewhat did the same, saying that the PS3 would be the entertainment hub of the living room and of course people love the Playstation name so much that they will get two jobs just to buy the PS3 when it came out, and they've had to cut their losses and catch up to Nintendo and the Xbox later in the generation. Even the PSPGo, which was their all-digital handheld system, was a bust because a monopoly selling digital games at full retail price made no financial sense to their customers if there's none of the same production cost of the UMDs and packaging etc that would come with buying physical copies and they hated it. Sony wasn't saying anything as bad as what Microsoft has since they announced the XBone, but just as Microsoft was being obnoxious and making fun of Sony at the time because the Xbox 360 was better priced and not a blu-ray player that also happens to play games - that the system didn't have yet, the tables have now turned. Microsoft should've learned from their competitor's mistakes this gen, but not only did they repeat them, they went for broke trying to beat them at shooting themselves in the foot.

I don't want them to tank either, because that will get rid of one of the Big 3 and nothing is better for the customer than companies competing for their dollar. I want them to fail in the way Sony did last time around so they can get their act together and provide paying customers many a fun experience and the respect they deserve for sticking with them or for choosing them for the first time if they're new to consoles.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
Bocaj2000 said:
These game companies are like hookers. Follow me on this... I'm trying to make a point.

(Also, this is from a straight male's perspective)

Wii U is the same hooker that you've been going to since the '80s. Every so often she does something new, but you know what you get with her. If you want her to do what her older sisters would do, she's compatible and will do them gladly. Unfortunately, she's riding off the fame of her sisters right now and doesn't do a whole lot of original things yet.

PS4 is the hooker that everybody loves. Her focus is on one thing and one things only: sex. Yeah, she does other stuff too, but sex is what she's known for. Yeah she has some issues, like any other broad that you see on the street, but she's no worse than her older sister, PS3. Granted, she simply won't do what her sisters do at all, but she has a lot of new tricks up her sleeve.

But the Xbone... she was a hooker with a penis... and she didn't want to be on bottom. All she wanted to do was fuck you in the ass, and she expected you to like it. In fact, she expected you to thank her for it. You see, most straight men don't like being fucked in the ass. In response to this, nobody wanted to buy her. They'd rather buy her rival PS4. So she got an operation. Now that she no longer has a penis, she expects you to forget that she wanted to fuck you in the ass. Some people are okay with her now, and would gladly sleep with her, but many other people still remember that that she had a dick and will never unsee it.

I hope that clears things up. Your actions have consequences, and your words have weight. You can't get me to unhear what you have to say nor forget what you did. Don't fuck with the consumer.
This actually makes a lot of sense. No tech specs, no jargon, no fanboyism - just simple and strait forward. This is the first post I've seen that wasn't metaphorically using an abusive partner or the like for the part of Microsoft.