Let's Compare Lost Planet 3 to a Good Game

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Damn I really want to play this game now. Never owned a GameCube or Wii though sadly.

EbonBehelit

Oct 19, 2010
Reincarnatedwolfgod said:
all this talk of metroid prime makes me want to play metriod prime again after years of not even touching game disk. I never beat metriod prime 2 so I may want give that another chance too. I beat the first and third one but I don't remember why I quit playing metriod prime 2.
Just a wild guess: you got up to the Boost Guardian/Alpha Blogg/Spider Guardian and gave up in frustration. I wouldn't even blame you tbh, as those three bosses were BULLSHIT hard.

Aahhh Metroid Prime, how I love you so. Time to dust off my Gamecube - It's fun-o-clock!

Hyakunin Isshu

May 2, 2011
Ok, we get it! you don't like boobs, or girls, or Other M, Mr.Croshaw. Can you stop farting towards it like a old man?

When you say it once, that's fine. But when you keep going on and on about it, you sound like Anita Sarkeesian on drugs, or Star Wars fanboys who can't get over the fact that Phantom Menace wasn't godlike, even after 14 bloody years!

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
I defence of airports approach to signage I would say that a lot of airline passengers often feel very disorientated, both in terms of arrivals and departures, and find the repetition reassuring. Furthermore, customers using an airport are probably foreign so there may be language barriers to overcome if they need to rely on airport staff. Finally it needs to be said that patrons of airports are, ultimately, people and members of the general public are revolting creatures that nobody wants to deal with so it is generally preferable to let inanimate signs do the job.

Loved the article by the way.

TreuloseTomate

Oct 25, 2012
I didn't like the cartoonish look of Samus in MP2 and 3 either, but the games themselves are almost as good the first one. I think the first game had the best level design of them all. It seemed like a continuous world even though it was divided into 4 or 5 parts. It's the way they were connected - very organic. MP2 had a central hub area from where you could go everywhere and seemed to be more artificial. MP3 had the world divided into planets and your ship acted as an elevator.
If I had to rate the games it would look like this:
MP1 > MP3 > MP2

It's also the only FPS I will play voluntarily with a controller because of its different control sheme

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
EbonBehelit said:
MOTHERFERKING BOOST GUARDIAN!
That, that... Ing nearly made me snap my controller, it and Chykka.

Aside from those blips I loved MP2, the light/dark theme has never been carried off better in a game.

TheGrueHunter

Jan 14, 2013
Conveniently about a month ago I dug up my copy of the Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii and replayed 1 & 2. The worlds felt a bit smaller than I remember them being when I was younger, but it still had far more exploration than most games I've played. I actually enjoyed having to open my map and choose my route to the next target ("I could go left or right here, left would mean having to fight Metroids and turrets in the dark, but right would take much longer...").

EbonBehelit said:
Just a wild guess: you got up to the Boost Guardian/Alpha Blogg/Spider Guardian and gave up in frustration. I wouldn't even blame you tbh, as those three bosses were BULLSHIT hard.
I didn't have too much trouble with the Alpha Blogg, just spam charged dark shots at his mouth. If you have enough energy tanks then you don't even need to dodge more than a few times, he will fall before you will. The Spider Guardian can be frustrating until you find the right pattern (or just get lucky). The Boost Guardian is absolute bullshit.

fix-the-spade said:
I loved MP2, the light/dark theme has never been carried off better in a game.
I completely agree. MP2 is the only game that I can name off the top of my head that had a dark world which actually felt like a dark world, rather than the light world with a different tint.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
PunkRex said:
Wait, the MC in Lost Planet 3 has a beard? Wow, what an original premise for an MC design, lets take a look.
[img/]http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/12/oct/lostp1.jpg[/img]
Well... that's okay I guess... I mean the guy's no Guan Yu...
Sir, I think you've just concocted a brilliant idea: Guan Yu in Space.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Fun story, I never actually "owned" Metroid Prime on the GameCube, until the Prime Trilogy on the Wii (wich is absolutely my second favorite Wii game, along with Okami).

Back in my teens, my cousin lent me the game for a few months and I easily finished it like 6 to 7 times. I absolutely loved it, but I was kinda fed up of it when I returned the game to him.

A few years later, another friend of mine was about to lent me his Medal of Honor disk as we agreed, but the next day, he comes up and tells me "hey!, don't mind if I traded the game for another game?" and I told him "no, of course not!, wich one did you got?" and he gleefully replied back "I got this Metroid Prime game!, I heard it's quite awesome!" and I was like "... seriously?".

He lent me his MP disk and I finished it another 7 times :)

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
FallenMessiah88 said:
From what I've seen, Jim Peyton seems like a genuinely sympathetic and human character. Right now he's the main reason why I want to play Lost Planet 3.
I've played a little bit of it over the last few days. Jim is sympathetic though sometimes his lines fall a little flat (he's quite funny when he's trying to show anger).

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I kinda liked Lost Planet 1, it's a nice change of pace when you've played a lot of slow cover shooters. It just got a bit boring becaus every level took place in the ice world and the controls were a bit odd, it was quite complicated to dodge :/. The sequels looks pretty rubbish though, couldn't play the first one because of the respawn system, killed all tension for me.

I could never get into Metroid Prime though, just found it to be a bit boring and empty. Still a lot better than Other M, that game was so generic in it's enviroments and the gameplay sucked, you could run past every single enemy in most areas. They were only a threat when you tried to fifght them, which was only neccesary on a rare occasion. I think the series peaked with Super Metroid, i miss the original and alien enviroments from that game, i've never seen anything like it, while Prime and Other M just seems to rehash the same small handful of generic locations. Ice world, Lava World, Forest World and so on, not exactly the most interesting enviroments to explore imo.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
sageoftruth said:
PunkRex said:
Wait, the MC in Lost Planet 3 has a beard? Wow, what an original premise for an MC design, lets take a look.
Oh no, it's space Lu-Bu, he's coming to kill us!

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
MrBaskerville said:
sageoftruth said:
PunkRex said:
Oh no, it's space Lu-Bu, he's coming to kill us!
Space Lu-Bu: "Urgh! Is there anyone is space who can provide me with a decent challenge?"

Thisandstuff

Nov 1, 2013
Yahtzee said:
later 3D Metroid games would suffer somewhat from depicting Samus Aran as a yellow-haired big-titted stripper grabbing every opporunity to ditch the armour in favour of a thin layer of blue latex paint
B-but... I like the Zero Suit...

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Yahtzee said:
They can't re-release Zeldas fast enough, though, can they? Which I'm calling blatant favouritism. I guess since Metroid Prime was finely-crafted and atmospheric it's probably not commercial enough.
Elsewhere on the net, I keep hearing that this is because Nintendo thinks Metroid is "Too western" for the domestic Japanese market and that's why Metroid has so few entries in the series compared to Zelda, Mario, and Pokemon; especially the Metroid Prime series.

Sadly, Other M excluded, the Metroid games are some of Nintendo's very best works.
It's kinda their Cowboy Bebop, in a way.

Based on their attitude towards the series, I'm guessing that Nintendo was always looking for an excuse to can the Metroid series quietly, and unfortunately Other M produced the best excuse possible towards that end.