Let's Embrace Our Inner Hipster!

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
I'll say it right here:

*puts on hipster glasses*

I was a dude enjoying My Little Pony BEFORE it was cool.

Namely, the original movie. I actually like it. It's not great or anything, but I had fun watching it as a kid. And this?

This was my shit, son.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Sacman said:
lacktheknack said:
Oh yeah, Blank Banshee is good shit, got into it with Blank Banshee 0, a while ago, when that whole Seapunk and Vaporwave thing was a thing and he Blank Banshee somehow got mislabeled...<.<

Still my favorite of 2013, totally underrated... or maybe I'm just that much of a sucker for african rhythms and instruments...<.<
Sounds. Completely. Awesome.

Any recommendations on where to start with these guys, album-wise?

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Sacman said:
lacktheknack said:
Oh yeah, Blank Banshee is good shit, got into it with Blank Banshee 0, a while ago, when that whole Seapunk and Vaporwave thing was a thing and he Blank Banshee somehow got mislabeled...<.<

Still my favorite of 2013, totally underrated... or maybe I'm just that much of a sucker for african rhythms and instruments...<.<

Well they only have one, and it's self titled, so start with that one... :p

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Sacman said:
lacktheknack said:
Sacman said:
lacktheknack said:

Well they only have one, and it's self titled, so start with that one... :p
Well herp my derp. I'll do that. :p

Still, thanks for the song. 'Twas great.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
My basic attitude is that if you think of yourself as being either "hip" or "punk" and it's reinforced by your tastes in anything means your not. The people that truly are, get there by being themselves not by setting trends, trying to be ironic, or anything else. In general society comes around to thinking that they happen to be is cool for a while (while they were on the fringes, and probably despised as rejects before), and then tends to move on while they stay where they were before hand.

I'm about the least hip person out there, but I guess to play the game I'd have to say that being a fan of Extreme Horror and Bizzaro fiction fits the obscure bill. Most people even in geek circles seem to have no idea who people like "Carlton Mellick III" are for example. Despite being fairly prolific, guys like Edward Lee, Bryan Smith, etc... have yet to creep onto the mainstream radar very often. As far as things that are popular that I hate... not much really. There are plenty of things I dislike to the point of avoiding them, but as a general rule if I dislike something I avoid exposing myself to it so it never turns into a bona fide hatred.

I've never really gotten into the meat of the whole "Ironic" thing that is a pre-requisite for being a modern "hipster poseur" nowadays. I don't consider liking something that is campy, absurd, or trashy (so bad it's good) to be the same as ironic appreciation. To be honest it seems to me MovieBob is right on the money (which happens a lot with him) when he simply says that people who claim "ironic appreciation" do so simply to avoid being mocked for something they like. While I'm not above occasional embarrassment, I just can't see the point of going through that much effort.

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
*dons lenseless frames*

I like to watch old TV shows and movies. Not because they're good or anything, but because I like to tell people I watch them and say how soulless and stupid modern shows are. They have no substance to them because like, they were made by corporate media giants, and that the art of film and TV died when everything went digital. Old cartoons like the Pacman show or Rubiks cartoon had a lot more soul and effort poured into then than those big corporate Pixar movies that are only made for profit.

Also like, I hate Nickelback because they're corporate sellouts, but I like the Black Keys, Arcade Fire and fun. because they're totally Indie and are not in the business to make money. I only wish they released all their albums on vinyl so I could totally add them to my collection of albums I like to show off but never play, because vinyl TOTALLY has better fidelity and soul than MP3.

I also play nothing but Fez because it's an Indie game and not a major studio release. But I don't play FTL anymore because a lot of people started playing it and it got too mainstream and uncool. I also like to keep old Nintendo consoles around because it gets me Plaid Points[sup][sub][sup]TM[/sup][/sub][/sup] with my friends, even if I don't own any games for them or ever intend to.

Pardon me, I need to go start slicing off the body parts that hurt from me doing that.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I blame A Clockwork Orange and Youtube's fascination with '8' bit covers of everything.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Cell animation is better than digital animation. It feels warmer and more textured, compared to the clinical colouring of current animation. And hence 80's and 90's anime was the best. I don't really see what's so "hipster" about this statement though, it's simply true.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Nouw said:
Yes, chiptune is the future.[footnote]I only wish Google's spell-checker would realize that.[/footnote]

Casual Shinji said:
Cell animation is better than digital animation. It feels warmer and more textured, compared to the clinical colouring of current animation. And hence 80's and 90's anime was the best. I don't really see what's so "hipster" about this statement though, it's simply true.
I often prefer that type of animation, as well as techniques like stop motion and rotoscoping; they're just more interesting for my eyes to look at than modern styles like The Regular Show, which seem to be cast from a particularly boring mould; their characters might have all sorts of wonderful personalities or voice actors, but the art style is nothing special.

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
Well, I'm a fan of the rather old anime, Space Adventure Cobra, suppose out of all the things I like that's what could give me the hipster stamp. Bands, well I listen to Father John Misty and don't-really-know-if-they-count Black Angels. As far as gaming goes I enjoy many games that aren't exactly as "mainstream" as others, like Spec Ops: The Line.