Let's Look at Art

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Satosuke said:
Under_your_bed said:
It's funny because it's true.

Okay, I'm the kind of sick degenerate that thinks rape jokes can be funny. But fucking hell, every other word out of his mouth is RAPE this and RAPE that. I used to think PDP was just annoying and banal; now I see he's actually pretty fucking scummy.

Can we like, start a crowdfunding campaign to send Slowbeef, Diabetus, and Lowtax to Europe to track this fucker down and beat him half to death, catch it on video, and get Research Indicates to do commentary on it?
We don't have to. He doesn't really do rape jokes anymore (partly because of that video).

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
CorvusFerreum said:
Interesstinly enough I only come into contact with Pewdiepie through people complaining about him or comments under videos from other Let's players claiming that this stuff is better than Pewdiepie's stuff and of course the occasional obvious troll praising him in order to provoke the "this is better than Pewdiepie" crowd.
It's just weird. I think I just prefer to let people enjoy what they enjoy and avoid what I don't. It's not that hard.
I wouldn't give him a second thought if I could just block his videos on Youtube.

But I cant block his videos. The 'Recommended for you' section is full of his shit, and I have to see his stupid, punchable face whenever I go onto Youtube.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
I have never heard of Pewdiepie until this. From everyone else's comments, I think its best to stay under my rock for this one.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Random Argument Man said:
I don't like his stuff, but I approve that of his charity work and how he includes his fan base in it. Sometimes, you can use the stupid stuff to achieve smart ends.
I gotta agree. My only exposure to him was an Elders React video where they watched his stuff, but I can sort of understand the appeal. Even a few of the Elders in that video found him funny and applauded him for what they took as comedy and entertainment. Others absolutely hated him (one apparently for the language, but she was obviously a very religious person). I imagine that's how a lot of people see him.

Personally, I'd rather watch Jontron, Game Theory, the Completionist, and Continue.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I...really thought we were above this. I mean, not much above, Evangelion and low-hanging fruit and whatnot, but at least we weren't picking the fruit off the floor.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Saltyk said:
I gotta agree. My only exposure to him was an Elders React video where they watched his stuff, but I can sort of understand the appeal. Even a few of the Elders in that video found him funny and applauded him for what they took as comedy and entertainment.
He actually made a "React video" to the Elders React Video, it's a short amusing video and he said a couple of things to his fans about ardent defending and attacking other fans at the end.

Jan 22, 2011
Brian Tams said:
Just wait until his obsessed fans crawl out from under the bridge that spawned them and threaten to rape and kill you for disliking Pewdiepie.
Just wait, it'll happen.
The same happens with any online celebrity, trust me I've had my fair shares of death threats =/

rennagade

Jun 27, 2013
The part that annoys me most about this is the fact that if he did do this he'd still get over a million views... Don't give him ideas, please!

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Steve Waltz said:
Under_your_bed said:

Wow, this is pretty bad.

"Lets play" videos aren't my thing so I've never seen PewDiePie before, in fact, all I knew about him was that he has a lot of annoying fans and a lot of equally annoying haters -- Neither of whom will shut up about the guy. After watching this video I am devastatingly shocked at how many fans he has. The screeching is bad enough but it genuinely blows my mind how he can so casually joke about rape in this decade and get away with it. Man, if I thought you even insinuate rape in a humorous way you're going to get crucified, or does that only go for Microsoft at E3 conferences?
That video is a select few clips designed to make Pewdiepie look as bad as possible, using some of his very early work when his subscribers numbers in the low thousands and he hadn't found his pace yet. Not only has he toned himself down, he's also more careful about casual off colour remarks that might offend people, like rape comments.

If you base your opinion of Pewdiepie on that video, which 90% of his detractors do (and then spread the video to other people to join them in their detraction), then your opinion means nothing. It would be like saying Romeo and Juliet is a comedy set in a gay bar because you watched a five minute clip of Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet featuring Mercutio.

OF course I could direct you to his more current work, but you've already made up your mind.

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
I don't get this joke because I have never watched even a snippet of any of his videos.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
Kermi said:
Steve Waltz said:
Under_your_bed said:

Wow, this is pretty bad.

"Lets play" videos aren't my thing so I've never seen PewDiePie before, in fact, all I knew about him was that he has a lot of annoying fans and a lot of equally annoying haters -- Neither of whom will shut up about the guy. After watching this video I am devastatingly shocked at how many fans he has. The screeching is bad enough but it genuinely blows my mind how he can so casually joke about rape in this decade and get away with it. Man, if I thought you even insinuate rape in a humorous way you're going to get crucified, or does that only go for Microsoft at E3 conferences?
That video is a select few clips designed to make Pewdiepie look as bad as possible, using some of his very early work when his subscribers numbers in the low thousands and he hadn't found his pace yet. Not only has he toned himself down, he's also more careful about casual off colour remarks that might offend people, like rape comments.

If you base your opinion of Pewdiepie on that video, which 90% of his detractors do (and then spread the video to other people to join them in their detraction), then your opinion means nothing. It would be like saying Romeo and Juliet is a comedy set in a gay bar because you watched a five minute clip of Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet featuring Mercutio.

OF course I could direct you to his more current work, but you've already made up your mind.
If by "already made up your mind" you mean "don't care" than yes, you're right. I thought I made it clear from the start that I find PewDiePie's haters just as annoying as his fans; l certainly won't be joining this PewDiePie war anytime this century. I just had to comment on how surprised I was that he was so popular considering he was throwing the word "rape" around like it was a toy.

I have to say though, you must be a really opinionated person to say something as arrogant as "your opinion means nothing." That's all I've seen of PewDiePie so of course I'll be making my judgements on him from that video. If you wanted to defend PewDiePie's maturity and sense of humor, than you could have gone and shown me something from his more recent works to show he doesn't act immature anymore, but instead you got snarky. That's not really a good way to persuade a neutral person to see something your way, you know? It doesn't reflect poorly on PewDiePie, but it certainly follows up on my pre-existing view on PewDiePie fans.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Steve Waltz said:
Kermi said:
Steve Waltz said:
Under_your_bed said:

Wow, this is pretty bad.

If by "already made up your mind" you mean "don't care" than yes, you're right. I thought I made it clear from the start that I find PewDiePie's haters just as annoying as his fans; l certainly won't be joining this PewDiePie war anytime this century. I just had to comment on how surprised I was that he was so popular considering he was throwing the word "rape" around like it was a toy.

I have to say though, you must be a really opinionated person to say something as arrogant as "your opinion means nothing." That's all I've seen of PewDiePie so of course I'll be making my judgements on him from that video. If you wanted to defend PewDiePie's maturity and sense of humor, than you could have gone and shown me something from his more recent works to show he doesn't act immature anymore, but instead you got snarky. That's not really a good way to persuade a neutral person to see something your way, you know? It doesn't reflect poorly on PewDiePie, but it certainly follows up on my pre-existing view on PewDiePie fans.
Your opinion being worthless really shouldn't bother you if you don't care about the thing you're accused of having a worthless opinion on. My unwillingness to present a counter example should be indicative of how much I care about you forming an opinion that isn't based on a biased data sample. I have no interest in whether you like pewdiepie or not, I barely watch his videos. I just wanted to point out that your perception was being manipulated by someone with a specific agenda.

You're allowed to feel however you like about that.

MrFinnishDude

Apr 1, 2011
He is still nice as a person.
When he is playing with Cryaotic and stuff he is a pretty nice guy.
I think he just had to change his way of playing because he has a gigantic fanbase.

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
Genocidicles said:
CorvusFerreum said:
I wouldn't give him a second thought if I could just block his videos on Youtube.

But I cant block his videos. The 'Recommended for you' section is full of his shit, and I have to see his stupid, punchable face whenever I go onto Youtube.
Yeah, I get where you are comming from. I too get his videos recommended. As he has a tendency to put his face on his thumbnails, showing some grotesquely exaggerated expression, I see you annoyance. But that's Youtube's borked recommendation system. This is a discussion for another day.

Addendum:
People who feel nothing when looking at Munch's "Scream" have no soul anyway. Faked screeching is less concerning there.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
This would probably mean more to me if I actually watched Pewdiepie's videos, but I will never EVER watch the videos of anyone with an alias like Pewdiepie.
Oh come on. There are so many good and valid reasons to refuse to watch Pewdiepie's channel, that refusing to do-so because of his name is just petty. =P

Edit: Also, I'll say this for The Pewds; at least he's a cool guy when he isn't specifically acing like a ponce for the sake of "humor". It's not enough to make me suffer through his horrible videos, but at least he does some good with all that ad revenue.

Jofe

Feb 3, 2010
I watched a couple of his videos some time ago. I remember him being ok...ish, but nothing spectacular. It sorta baffles me how popular he is. Now don't get me wrong, I think he should be somewhat popular. He's not as bad as many make him look, but he's neither as good as his fans/number of subs make him look.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
I've heard from the grapevine that the actual guy is pretty cool. His persona though seems to target the same audience that enjoyed Fred, what with all the screeching. More power to him for doing well for himself. Personally I'll watch a let's play with less noise.

Also I hope it's true that he cut down on the rape comments. I'm of the opinion that rape jokes can be funny if done well (e.g. Sarah Silverman, George Carlin, etc) but just screaming "rape" repeatedly into a microphone is not even slightly humorous. Just spectacularly off-putting.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
Under_your_bed said:

he makes a boatload of money doing that... I found a video describe my feelings on this matter
I sure this has to be some persona he puts on for the videos. For all I know he could be a very nice person but that would not make it any less unwatchable. A potential start for making it watchable is stop making rape "jokes" because he lacks the comedic talent to make it funny to anyone other then maybe a 12 year old with a sick sense of humor at best. Even then the screaming and over all not being entertaining would still be enough to make it unwatchable.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Kermi said:

I'd say that video is a good summary of his content actually.
It consists of yelling, talking in dumb voices, and role-playing with himself.