Let's make an escapist Minecraft server!

Terkaal

Apr 28, 2010
Minecraft is an amazing game that was shown to me yesterday by a friend of mine in the UK. It's currently in alpha form but is perhaps the best alpha I've ever seen, no glitches from what I see.

Anyway about the game you play as a sprite with the ability to create and destroy blocks in a vast area that starts off empty. It's essentially a 3D 8bit Map builder.

The map starts off blank and you basically just let your imagination run wild. The best bit about it is the multiplayer which means the environments that are created over time become so abstract and amazing, it really is a thing of beauty.

The game requires no downloading and is completley free and is played via java through your browser.

Link to the Escapist Server, come see for yourself the wonder that is minecraft!

http://www.minecraft.net/play.jsp?server=4f6724ef172cbb569141ccefd687211d

==============================================================================
Server Status: Online

Come check it out!

Dragon_of_red

Dec 30, 2008
and 5 minutes later there will be a massive penis built in there... Garunteed.

I'm not going to play it, for my reason stated above

Reaper69lol

Disciple of The Gravity cat
Apr 16, 2010
dragon_of_red said:

That or a giant F word carved into the ground

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
I messed around with the survival mode for a while, built a fortress in mid air with a single-block wide/deep bridge as the only entrance.

Sadly whenever I tried to join a multiplayer server it cacked out and died, so I assume my uni firewall had a disagreement.

Either way: Pretty entertaining game. Hope to see some funny videos if you do get it going.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
dragon_of_red said:

Soo true.

But what the hey!

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I've played this game with some other Escapists, it can be truly amazing.
I played on some 'Huge | No Griefing' server or something like that, some of the constructs were unbelievably well done.
I may just have to join you...

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Last time I player Minecraft was on a 4chan server. Shit was glorious. We painted the entire sky purple (killing all plant life because of the lack of sunlight), erected a giant altar to Chaos Undivided, built massive Touhou statues, and turned the entire underground into a dwarf fortress.

Terkaal

Apr 28, 2010
dragon_of_red said:

It really isn't like that, it's not well known at the moment so you don't see masive penises everywhere, people genuinely work to build and create. However you do get the occasional rampaging destroyer.

If you don't believe me click the link I gave and see for yourself, it's someone's server that has a unique approach, it's never cleaned up, the result is a dynamic abstract environment.

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
Hey, Minecraft is that really, really cool game with the craploads of cubes, isn't it?

You can count me in, if I can be bothered at some point, but I'm not paying for shit. Also it lags like hell. Somebody should make a user group.

Toasty Virus

Somehow I Returned?
Dec 2, 2009
It really is quite amazing.

Me and a friend spent an entire night building a big underground base, and then a big tree with a little cafe thing on top.

Its so much fun

Terkaal

Apr 28, 2010
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Minecraft-Appreciation-Club

Done!

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
dragon_of_red said:

Actually quite a few of the servers are moderated heavily by the owners, and stuff like thats removed quite quickly, as well as anyone who goes around messing up anyone elses stuff they've worked pretty damned hard on.

But anyway, Minecraft is pretty cool, good example of what you can do can be found here:

http://list.fragmer.net/gallery2.php?hash=99a9a905b9ee74e910cedc76a5777ddf

Theo Samaritan

Jul 16, 2008
As long as its running a decent map. Flatgrass is fine... but doesn't let you build into the landscape.

Terkaal

Apr 28, 2010
Theo Samaritan said:
As long as its running a decent map. Flatgrass is fine... but doesn't let you build into the landscape.
I think you mean garry's mod :p This isn't garrys mod :p it's minecraft. there are no maps, the game is everyone making their maps in co-operative environment.

Theo Samaritan

Jul 16, 2008
Terkaal said:
Theo Samaritan said:
I think you mean garry's mod :p This isn't garrys mod :p it's minecraft. there are no maps, the game is everyone making their maps in co-operative environment.
Or you can stop being an ass and look at the server list.

In Minecraft, a "flatgrass" map is a map that has no hills, inland lakes, sand etc. Just one huge expanse of green.

Personally I find these servers a little blah, but will happily build on them.