Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Syndrome Conundrum

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
So I've started working on the next update and...holy fuck, it's so god damn stupid. It's probably some of the dumbest things I've seen dwarves do, both due to my incompetence and their shitty AI. Forgive me if the next one is confusing, because honestly I'm not entirely sure whats going on.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
DF Dwarves would probably have been weeded out of the world by thier own stupidity by this point if Lets Plays are anything to go by

killthenrun1

Oct 2, 2011
What world?
If they were dieing out then the only way for the dwarfs to go is Operation Fuck The World... Oh god it was the dwarfs who killed the dinosaurs.

vallorn

Nov 18, 2009
killthenrun1 said:
What world?
If they were dieing out then the only way for the dwarfs to go is Operation Fuck The World... Oh god it was the dwarfs who killed the dinosaurs.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
vallorn said:
killthenrun1 said:
What world?
Well I suppose if you have to go, make sure you take everyone else with you.

vallorn

Nov 18, 2009
killthenrun1 said:
Fair enough i have never seen that film.
Yes hopefully we do not need to kill everything ... Yet!
well Kraken still has to breach the Circus... we can have a lot of Fun with those Clowns ;)

greatorder

Apr 22, 2011
killthenrun1 said:
Yes i love it when the circus comes to town. Hopefully he let's us play with their ... bloon animals.
as quoted from the crappy Rebbecca Black's friday, altered to DF:

'!!FUN!!, !!FUN!!, !!FUN!!, !!FUN!!'
*que operation FTW*
'partyin- OH FUCK! IT BUUUUUURNS!'

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Chapter 117: From the journal of Stinthad Kekimtobul

1st Sandstone, 1060, Mid-Autumn

Okay, okay, the key here is not to panic. I mean sure there are forgotten beasts swimming dangerously close to the fort, but they haven't done anything yet. Freaking out over them isn't going to accomplish anything and will probably just get us killed. So we'll just wait until the beasts do something...hopefully not killing some poor farmer.

2nd Sandstone, 1060, Mid-Autumn

Wha..what?!? How did this even happen? Why is Alpha in the lake?? He's a forge master! He has no reason to be anywhere near there! He should be down working in the- oh wait, I think I get what is going on here. This drainage path is a slightly quicker way of getting down to the abyss. So in an effort to be as efficient as possible, these brave workers are ignoring the dangers of a forgotten beast infested flooding passage and attempting to swim down to the abyss rather than taking the perfectly safe deep road!

...WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS FORTRESS?!?! WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!?

Oh hey, despite attempting something monumentally stupid he actually survived. Well, at least for now. I'm surprised Os hasn't caught him yet. Which one is he again?

So he's being chased by a fat giant that sweats poison. I guess we better save him, though I have this sinking feeling that as soon as I send the military out to rescue Alpha the rest of the forgotten beasts are going to go on a rampage...

3rd Sandstone, 1060, Mid-Autumn

Oh great. Alpha dived back into the lake, so now we can't rescue him. This whole situation is a total mess- wait, is that Shoot and Run?!? Are you kidding?!? This is absurd...how am I supposed to deal with this? I guess I have to make the drainage passage inaccessible. I'll have to plug up the first one, but fortunately due to the way I designed the second one I don't have to plug it up. Instead I just have to remove the path connecting it to the rest of the cavern so you can't use it to travel without breaking all your bones in a spine crushing fall. It won't be easy though. The brave dwarf who goes to remove it will have to brave rushing torrents of water and the risk of falling to their doom due to one bad step. Only our finest masons are fit for such a task.

But instead we're sending the poor kid Elth to do it. Nobody else would volunteer, and I'm pretty sure he's only doing this because he doesn't understand the danger involved. Normally I'd never put a child in such extreme danger, but what else am I supposed to do?!? If that path doesn't get removed, more dwarves are going to go diving into the lake and attract a forgotten beast stampede.

Fortunately, both Alpha and Shoot and Run managed to escape without drowning or getting eviscerated. Alpha did the sensible thing and ran back to the deep roads, while Shoot and Run actually managed to swim through the drainage passage down to the abyss. I hope he realizes how stupid that idea was and doesn't try it again. Though it seems I was mistaken; he wasn't taking that path because it was faster. Rather, he was just getting a piece of flux stone lying at the bottom of the lake. Why he felt it was necessary to get that specific piece rather than all the other ones lying around is beyond me. So the simple solution is to forbid everything lying at the bottom of the lake, because apparently I need to explicitly tell everyone to not dive into the monster infested lake to pick up a bloody stone.

I need a drink.

6th Sandstone, 1060, Mid-Autumn

NOO!!! Why did I do this?!? Why send a child to do such a dangerous job?!? There was no reason! I mean, we could have just blocked off the passage rather than remove the dangerous, unstable stone platform. Why didn't I do that instead?!?

I don't even know where his body is...I think the water swept his tony broken corpse deeper into the abyss. As depressing as this is, at least his death should be the only one that comes from this blunder. Now that I've realized that dwarves were going into the lake to fetch supplies, they should have no reason to go back in it. After all, I forbid everything down there! We should be fine now.

You know, aside from the massive group of forgotten beasts lurking beneath the farms. Not sure what to do about them right now.

10th Sandstone, 1060, Mid-Autumn

So it seems I've made another tragic mistake. You'd think after poor Elth fell to his death I would cancel the order to have that stone platform removed...well evidently I forgot to do that. So Scotth266 tried to remove it, and she wasn't any more successful.

But on the bright side, she's still alive! She didn't fall on her head, so instead of being dead she's just in crippling horrible pain. Assuming she doesn't drown there's a chance we can save her

Also Cowabunga Jr. fell down there to. I think he was trying to help Scotth266 and made the same mistake as him. But he's still alive to, so there's some hope!

15th Sandstone, 1060, Mid-Autumn

So it finally happened. I suppose it was only inevitable after I made the decisions to drain Forgotten Lake, but I guess I didn't want to think about that. I was hoping they would just quietly slip away into the abyss, but pretty much anyone could have guessed that they would just get pissed off and attack.

The forgotten beasts have attacked.

Luthama was the first to strike, and I think it was the reason the forgotten beasts were all drawn to the lake. The lake itself is a forgotten beast, and it tried to kill us in the form of a murderous blob of water. That's my theory at least.

Of course, water isn't exactly a deadly substance. Luthama failed to cause any real damage before Mesca and the other soldiers arrived. The watery beast was promptly cut down.

While we made the first kill, it was no cause for celebration when the other forgotten beasts were quickly approaching. Lerdi and Inrus surfaced on the other side of the farms. They were definitely more threatening than Luthama, but still not that big of an issue so long as the military stuck together.

It was a trap though. As the soldier rushed to meet Lerdi and Inrus, they were ambushed by the gabbro giant Os. No, I'm not sure how a towering statue managed to catch them off guard. You'd think they would notice something like that right away.

At this point though our soldiers are no pushovers. At one point they might have been overwhelmed by that many giant creatures attacking at once, but they held their ground. Even when the beast Lene joined the fray their courage and strength did not falter. The battle was actually looking good for us at this point. As more soldiers arrived at the scene, things would only sway more in our favor.

Of course what I didn't realize was that only a handful of soldiers would actually show up. For some reason about a 3/4 of the military decided now would be the best time to pick up new equipment.

Despite lacking the advantage of numbers, we were still prevailing over the forgotten beasts. Irridium was knocked into the lake by the steam beast Inrus, but a single masterfully aimed shot hit Inrus in its crippling weak point, causing the beats to dissipate as a cloud of screaming steam. Or something like that. So things were looking good.

But then the nightmare started.

Os had sustained quite a bit of damage at this point, and was now leaking some foul substance. Snip Snip was caught in a burst of this wretched vapor, and it caused her entire body to be covered in horrible blisters. Blisters that spewed miasma. It was an absolutely horrifying sight to behold, and one can understand why it caused Snip Snip to lower her guard at the worst moment.

Taking advantage of her shock in less than a second, Os crushed Snip Snip's head with a single powerful kick. All those wounds hadn't slowed it down at all. I was really worried at this point. Any soldier that fought Os ran the risk of contracting the same disease. Commander Root was keeping Os occupied all by herself, so she was almost guaranteed to catch the disease...

It wasn't all grim though. Lord Shonus struck the killing blow against Lene, while Double A tore apart Lerdi. So all the forgotten beasts had been slain, aide from Os. He was the most powerful, but there was no way he alone could stand up against our entire military and win.

It was nearly impossible to tell what was going on. The entire battle was obscured by a thick cloud of miasma. The miasma must have been coming from the wounded Os, along with whatever soldiers had been unfortunate enough to catch the blister disease.

But in the end, we triumphed. Os's body was cleaved in two, putting an end to the forgotten beast menace. But I can't help but feel that the results of this battle may be direr than we realize. Snip Snip may have been the only casualty, but who knows how many soldiers are now infected with that terrible disease? What if it's contagious? Could the entire fort end up covered in vile little miasma spewing blisters?

...I don't think I could handle that.

Oh yeah, one might wonder what happened to Momuz, the horrifying zombie spider thing. Well to be honest I think that thing has been dead for weeks. Nobody noticed because we didn't want to get near the thing for fear of catching the zombie rot. But after getting rid of all the other forgotten beasts I sent the military to deal with Momuz and...

It "died" after a single bash from Double A's shield. Its body just crumbled into a pile of rotten flesh and mushy organs. The thing probably rotted to death a while ago, and all it took was a small disturbance for its corpse to fall apart. I actually feel kind of sorry for it. What a nasty way to go.

17th Sandstone, 1060, Mid-Autumn

It is just as I feared. There are several dwarves suffering from Os's disease, which Silent Thunder has dubbed "osliostis". Symptoms of osliostis are almost every inch of the body being covered in blisters that produce miasmic gas. Miasma is typically associated with rotting flesh, but fortunately the afflicted don't seem to be suffering from the effects of muscular degeneration. If I had to guess, the blisters are rapidly growing and then rotting away. It's a disgusting and vile disease, but at the very least it does not appear to be fatal. Only time will tell what the long term effects are.

Commander Root is one of the victims of the disease, as I expected. Other victims include her baby Little Veok and the soldier Mesca. All three of these dwarves were at ground zero of the fight, so the disease may not have been spread from one to the others. So we may not have to worry about the disease being contagious, which is good since I have no clue what we would do about that. I'm honestly not sure what we can do for them. Perhaps the blisters can be surgically removed, but they might just grow back. As much as I hate to say we can only wait and see.

Speaking of terrifying diseases, it seems that Alpha picked up one of his own whilst running around Forgotten Lake. It's a rather gruesome one to.

This is a medical report detailing Alpha's status from just a few days ago. When I read this I was worried he had picked up the same disease that Momuz was suffering from. However, he has actually managed to recover. Well, recover as best as you can from full body rot. Now he is covered in many hideous scars. Disgusting, but not actually harmful. Unfortunately his eyes are covered in scars as well, rendering them useless. Blindness may have brought his days as a forge master to an end, but at least he isn't dead.

20th Sandstone, 1060, Mid-Autumn

Things aren't looking good here. Silent Thunder found out that Alpha actually was suffering from osliostis, just in a much later stage. We know this because Root has started to rot just like he did. It seems the progression of osliostis goes from blisters to rot. The disease eventually passes away but not before doing irreparable damage to the eyes. Our best commander is now a blind cripple. I'm not sure if she will ever be able to fight again...

On the bright side, Scotth266 and Cowabunga Jr. have both been rescued. They'll need some surgery to fix their little broken bones, but other than that they should be fine.

24th Sandstone, 1060, Mid-Autumn

I was quite shocked today when I saw that Root's bed in the hospital was vacant! She is in no condition to be doing anything! I found her wandering around the deep roads. I can't really vault her for leaving though, as she only left to find Little Veok.

Apparnetly, Little Veok has been crawling around the caverns for days! How terrible! I told Aidinthel that Root was injured and he needed to take care of the baby for her, but I guess he was too drunk to remember. Other than the syndrome Little Veok seems fine though, thank the gods for that. I have to wonder why none of the farmers or haulers helped her though. Did they find nothing odds about the rotting baby slowly crawling across the cavern floor?

28th Sandstone, 1060, Mid-Autumn

Root of all Evill hasn't returned to the hospital. Instead, she's resumed her normal duties as commander of The Immortal Rags. Says she isn't going to let a little thing like "sight" keep her from defending Reveredtour. It's admirable and pretty inspiring, but also just reeks of ill fortune. Seems like a death wish on her part. But I know trying to stop her won't accomplish anything, so I'll just have to hope for the bets. That's all I seem to do lately.

Also I noticed that she's still spreading miasma wherever she goes. The blisters are gone and her flesh isn't rotting anymore, as far as I can tell. It's like osliostis fucks with the victim on a genetic level and causes them to grow miasma producing glands or something. Guess that explains why the scars are purple.

I wonder what General Rithrisen will say when he finds out our military is being led by a rotting blind cripple.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
Wow. That is a serious train wreck.

And in my defense you'd be drunk too if your already bad life suddenly got that much worse.