Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Syndrome Conundrum

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Dammit Kraken, didn't know you were doing this. I shall be following now.
I just realized that, despite mentioning the DF group in the OP, I never actually posted this in it. Weird.

Feb 13, 2008
Cingal said:
If you're looking for a tile set, I'd suggest Phoebus.
Phoebus is pretty good, I got turned towards it after I kept revering back to ADOM sight and got scared everytime I saw a Capital letter.

Edit: Hold on kraken, if you build forts over the sea, how do you get mud to farm in?

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Awesome. There's never too much Dorf Fort in the world. I'm very curious to see how this develops.

Also, I was rather surprised when you mentioned Conchmen were part of a mod, because that sounded like just the sort of insane anthropomorph that most forts have to deal with on a daily basis. Turtlemen! Olmmen! Ospreymen! Zombie Ospreymen!

Ah, I love this game.

Nunny

Aug 22, 2009
I managed to build a nice Marble city sitting over the water.
That was until those bloody monkey things ran in, got knocked into the water and refused to drown. Causing the entire city unable to function.

Tattaglia

Aug 12, 2008
God how I love Dwarf Fortress and it's Let's Plays. Every single one ends in disaster, and it is always hilarious and often foreseen.

Psychosocial said:
I will never seize to be baffled by the fact that competent lets players, like you from the looks of this, are the ones that don't get payed. Whereas the untalented hacks from Unskippable get to post their crap on the site.

Nice lets play so far, I love written ones.
Oooh, controversial!

Internet Kraken

Mar 18, 2009
Edit: Hold on kraken, if you build forts over the sea, how do you get mud to farm in?
Obviously the farm itself can't be built on the sea due to an inability to crate artificial islands, so it's one of the exceptions I make. I don't even use irrigation systems for farming though, since all my farming is done in the caverns. Much more simple, and all you need to worry about are Forgotten Beasts flying in and eating your farmers.

Psychosocial said:
I will never seize to be baffled by the fact that competent lets players, like you from the looks of this, are the ones that don't get payed. Whereas the untalented hacks from Unskippable get to post their crap on the site.

Nice lets play so far, I love written ones.
I don't claim to be better than anyone at Let's Plays, so when I say the following I'm not trying to boost my own ego; if I had to hazard a guess as to why people who let's play for a job may do worse, it's becuase they have deadlines to meet. When you just Let's Play as a hobby, you don't have to stress out about getting it done within a certain time limit. When you get paid to do it, it becomes like a job and you have to sacrifice quality to meet due dates.

To be honest though the idea of anyone getting paid to do a Le's Play seems strange, since they're something almost everyone can do if they dedicate enough time to it. Hence why I think Shamu Young could't get Spoiler Warning featured here on the Escapist.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I downloaded Dwarf Fortress once because it looked really awesome but I couldn't get the hang of what I was supposed to be doing, I just ended up with groups of dwarfs wanderering about and then me quitting.

Still want to work it out so i'll be reading this and hoping it gives me a couple of clues of how to even begin.

I kinda want Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft to combine forces one day to make a Minecraft compatible version, have the feeling i'd be able to get the hang of things better with a more visual game.

Internet Kraken

Mar 18, 2009
Ickorus said:
I downloaded Dwarf Fortress once because it looked really awesome but I couldn't get the hang of what I was supposed to be doing, I just ended up with groups of dwarfs wanderering about and then me quitting.

Still want to work it out so i'll be reading this and hoping it gives me a couple of clues of how to even begin.

I kinda want Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft to combine forces one day to make a Minecraft compatible version, have the feeling i'd be able to get the hang of things better with a more visual game.
Dwarf Fortress is a difficult game to get into. Like I mentioned in the OP, visiting the forums and wiki can make it easier to understand. Reading LPs can also help to since it gives you a step by step veiw of how a fortress progresses. The reason I got into Dwarf fortress was becuase I read the Boatmurdered LP.

Also while Dwarf Fortress having Minecraft visuals would be nice, it's about as realistic as it having the graphics of any modern game. Dwarf Fortress is designed in a way that means it has to be in ASCII format, or a replacement tileset. For example, procedualy generated creatures are a prominent feature in Dwarf Fortress. It would be incredibly difficult to make a game that could generate a 3D, fully animated model for each creature when there ar ebillions of possibilties.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
Ickorus said:

Dwarf Fortress is a difficult game to get into. Like I mentioned in the OP, visiting the forums and wiki can make it easier to understand. Reading LPs can also help to since it gives you a step by step veiw of how a fortress progresses. The reason I got into Dwarf fortress was becuase I read the Boatmurdered LP.

Also while Dwarf Fortress having Minecraft visuals would be nice, it's about as realistic as it having the graphics of any modern game. Dwarf Fortress is designed in a way that means it has to be in ASCII format, or a replacement tileset. For example, procedualy generated creatures are a prominent feature in Dwarf Fortress. It would be incredibly difficult to make a game that could generate a 3D, fully animated model for each creature when there ar ebillions of possibilties.
Thanks for the tips, very much appreciated.

I'll always dream about minecraft dwarf fortress but I can see exactly where you're coming from.

Internet Kraken

Mar 18, 2009
Chapter 2: From the journal of Stinthad Kekimtobul

23rd Granite, 1051, Early Spring

Well, things seem to have settled down. Everyone's keeping to themselves, but at least work is getting done. Goden doesn't seem to be angry with me anymore. Or she just took all her rage and bottled it up inside her. I'm really hoping it's the former. I noticed that one of the earth golems we brought from the mountainhomes has been following me around everywhere, almost like it was stalking me. At first I was worried this was going to turn into one of those horror stories where the merchants enter the fort and all they find is an earth golem sitting on top of a pile of dwarf corpses. Then Zuntir told me that when earth golems find a person they like, they follow them forever, faithfully serving them until death. That means that rather than crushing my head, this earth golem instead wants to be my new friend! That's so cool! I have decided to name it Lorbam, after one of the old generals of the Relieved Craft. I think it likes the name, but it's kind of hard to tell, since it doesn't have a face.
Kraken's notes: Earth Golems are creatures I added to the game to basically serve as dwarven bodyguards. They're big, durable, and strong. They can even build skills over time, albeit at a slow rate. They serve as good war animals or civilian protection, as they can fend off most wild animals by themselves. The disadvantage of bringing them along on embark is that they cost a lot of points, can't be butchered for food, and don't reproduce. So they're a costly investment that really only benefits you in dangerous areas.

17th Slate, 1051, Mid-Spring

Work work work work. That's all we've been doing for the past month, and it still feels like everything is going way to slow! I'm even helping Ushrir with the mining (she doesn't seem happy with this for some reason), and it still is taking forever to get even the basic parts of the fortress built. On top of all this, Momuz is already bothering me about fortress defense. He thinks that we're unsafe, that something is going to come and wipe us out when we least expect it. Sure we haven't dug a defensive perimeter yet, but why bother? The most threatening thing we've seen were two zombie conchmen, and all they did was bother everyone with the smell of spoiled seafood before wandering back into the ocean.

What we really need are some more hands to work with. Even with all seven of us working around the clock (though I'm starting to wonder if Thob's fishing actually qualifies as work), things still feel too slow. But I don't think there's any chance of migrants showing up any time soon. If only I could get Lorbam to help us. Shame whenever I try to get him to build something he just ends up smashing it. But I still love him!

19th Slate, 1051, Mid-Spring

I was sitting on the beach today whilst enjoying a nice drink, admiring the sight of the waves crashing against the shoreline. This place has a bad reputation, but it's so peaceful out here. I can just sit down, gaze out at the sea, and become lost in my thoughts.

Then Dishmab started running in circles and screaming. Momuz quickly emerged from the mines and pulled out his axe, searching for the source of the scream. Apparently he thought it was a siren. I don't blame him either, since Dishmab nearly shattered my ear drums! She then began babbling something about land demons coming to devour her flesh. It was hard to tell from her crazed words, but it was clear she had seen something that terrified her. Momuz looked around, but he couldn't seem to identify any threats.

Momuz: "I swear to Zalis, if she doesn't stop screaming I'm going to shove a sock in her mouth."
Stinthad: "Calm down Dishmab! What exactly did you see?"
Dishmab: "THERE! BEHIND THE TREES! HOW DO YOU NOT SEE THEM?!?"
Stinthad: "..........those are warthogs."

Kraken's notes: Despite what the description might suggest, warthogs are pretty much harmless. They will try to run away from your dwarves rather than fight them. The worst they can do is freak out your workers and clog up cage traps you were saving for more important creatures.

At this point Momuz really did just shove a sock in her mouth before wandering back into the mines to pick up a stone. Then Dishmab passed out, probably from exhaustion. I think she's fine though. Well physically I mean. Mentally she's a train wreck. She's spent the entirety of this expedition crying, screaming, passing out, running away, or doing a combination of the above. I don't know what it is that makes her such a nervous wreck, but it's starting to bother the other dwarves a lot. I'm not sure if Momuz can be trusted around her without doing something....stupid.

Good thing I have the admiration and respect of everyone in Reveredtour, or I'd have worry about my own safety.

20th Slate, 1051, Mid-Spring

Dishmab still won't shut up about the warthogs. I don't know why, but she's horrified by them. Anytime they get even remotely close to her she will freak out. We could try and find the source of her mental disorder through intense therapy sessions, but we don't have time for that. So instead I'm just going to have Momuz preform a far simpler task.

The poor critters don't really deserve it, but it's not like we have much of a choice. It's either this or spend the next month with blood coming out of our ears. Besides, Momuz needs something to unload his aggression onto. I was getting worried he was going to try attacking those adorable little hippos! Oh, and Dishmab. Both are equally bad.

What followed was a chorus of drunken screaming and distressed squeals as Momuz chased the warthogs all across the wastes. The little things can run surprisingly fast. Unfortunately for them, not fast enough.

Oh, it was horrifying to watch him rip apart those innocent little warthogs! Not only is he brutal, but his war beasts are just as bad. His octopre dug their hooks into the warthogs flesh, tearing off chunks of it. One of them had almost all of its skin peeled off before a war earth golem came over and smashed its skull like a grapefruit. Eventually all of the warthogs were either fleeing into the distance in terror or bleeding out in front of the fort. Momuz came back in, stained with warthog blood and brains, and looked quite pleased with himself. Dishmab was also overjoyed to hear that the warthogs were no longer outside. I guess the only downside to this is that everything smells like rotting boar now.

At least work can resume now. But we've been here for almost 3 months and still haven't made what I would consider to be significant progress. I'm going to have to reconsider our current priorities tonight. In the meantime, I think I'll just go for a walk out on the beach with Lorbam. It's kind of adorable the way he plods through the wet sand.

Feb 13, 2008
Interesting, but could you do a little pointer on the big maps to determine what each thing is? It's sort of difficult for me to tell, and I'd consider myself a Dwarf Fortress skilled amateur.

Equally, what did you use to create the Golem and why does it attack with an orb?

Internet Kraken

Mar 18, 2009
Interesting, but could you do a little pointer on the big maps to determine what each thing is? It's sort of difficult for me to tell, and I'd consider myself a Dwarf Fortress skilled amateur.
I don't know why I didn't think of doing this in the first place. But yeah, I'll try editing some pictures to make the subject of focus more clear.

Equally, what did you use to create the Golem and why does it attack with an orb?
Not sure what you mean by what did I use. As for why it attacks with an orb........I don't remember why I did that. It was made to do more damage than a regular fist, but I'm not sure why I was compelled to make it an orb.

Feb 13, 2008
Internet Kraken said:
Not sure what you mean by what did I use. As for why it attacks with an orb........I don't remember why I did that. It was made to do more damage than a regular fist, but I'm not sure why I was compelled to make it an orb.
I thought you'd created them with a mod?

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
I've always wanted to play DorfFortress because of all the silly/epic tales that people recall from their experiences with the game. But my computer hates it, for some reason. :/

Regardless, good stuff! :D

BEWARE OF CATS!

Chal

Aug 6, 2010
Internet Kraken said:
Then Zuntir told me that when earth golems find a person they like, they follow them forever, faithfully serving them until death. That means that rather than crushing my head, this earth golem instead wants to be my new friend! That's so cool! I have decided to name it Lorbam, after one of the old generals of the Relieved Craft. I think it likes the name, but it's kind of hard to tell, since it doesn't have a face.
You make the necromancer in me proud!

Internet Kraken said:
At this point Momuz really did just shove a sock in her mouth before wandering back into the mines to pick up a stone. Then Dishmab passed out, probably from exhaustion. I think she's fine though. Well physically I mean. Mentally she's a train wreck. She's spent the entirety of this expedition crying, screaming, passing out, running away, or doing a combination of the above.
...And there's Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. Things look like they're progressing nicely. I have the same problem with wildlife: warthogs, hoary marmots, and deer. I swear, the bastards are in league with the elves to cripples fortresses across the multiverse.

Are you going to do anything interesting with the underground farms? I'm partial to making a burrow for some agricultural slums myself, or at least a fancy entrance to the underground with traps and guard posts.

One final note for the person who had mentioned Minecraft: perhaps it won't help you learn to actually play Dwarf Fortresss, but there is a utility to convert Dwarf Fortress maps into a playable area in Minecraft. I've never used it myself though, so I'm not sure how exciting that information really is, but it couldn't hurt to check it out.