Lets talk about Dexter

jim_doki

Mar 29, 2008
Ok, I'm not normally one to point out other people's stupid ideas. I find it much more satifying watching someone stab themselves while juggling razors then telling them to stop. Dexter, however, has quite simply the worst concept for a cop show I have ever heard, and since it's in its third season in the US it doesn't look like this is a lesson he's gonna learn easily. I have only seen one episode, the pilot. Being the judgmental dick that i am this is the one and ONLY chance you have to impress me. It didn't, and here's why:

For starters, there's the shows absolutely moronic premise. Dexter, a serial killer obsessed with blood, has landed a job as a blood splatter analyist with the police. Just to let the stupid through in cased it was blocked by your common sense deflector, The cops have a killer working for them. This isn't like a Hannibal Lector situation either, where they reluctantly hire the killer to get into the mind of the killer, Dexter has managed to convince everyone that he's completely normal. While I'll admit i was intrugued by this premise at first, you soon notice that the only way this is possible is if everyone he meets is a blind deaf moron who cant add two and two. being that all the characters (besides Dexter) pretend to have emotional depth and some kind of intelligence, the suspension of disbelief is just that little bit too great. like the grand fucking canyon.

Speaking of unreal scenarios, dex's dad, who is an ex cop, actually encoraged his serial killing. I am not joking. that right there is some ace perenting, good work. Did I mention his dad is a cop? because he is. His cop dad knows he's killing things (dogs at this point, but still, humans are next) and actually says "We can't change who you are, but we can make you kill only those who deserve it" and "i'll teach you to cover your tracks." Now, call me a rightwing Nazi if you like, but I think that might be taking expressing yourself too far. Let's be honest. If your kid was cutting up small furry animals, you would get him checked out, REGARDLESS of what home he came from. This only adds to my theory that everyone in Dexter's world is a complete moron

Then we have the characters. Most try really hard, but when you don't have much to work with, there's not much you can do. there's the ambitious sister, the ***** chief of police, the bad ass cop who doesn't trust Dexter, and Dexter. This is where the show falls from being so horrible its funny to so horrible it should be locked away. I don't know who taught writing to these guys, but they should know that if they want someone to care about a character, they have to make that character connect to the audience emotionally. now this is not an easy task to begin with, but it's damn near impossible when your character doesn't feel anything. Again, I'm serious, His second line is "I don't feel anything". I am amazed that the show has made it to three seasons.

Alright, perhaps it gets better as the series goes on. I liked the part at the end where there was a pseudo confrontation between the two killers, but to be honest that was the only part of good writing in the whole show. So i guess what i'm saying is that it wasn't very good. It had an interesting (albeit unbelievable) premise that might make for some great television once it all gets sorted out.

Fudj

May 1, 2008
couldnt disagree more with you....points against are valid and some characters are just plain 1 dimensional...but i just loved the premise for the show

Feb 13, 2008
Ok Jim, I really suggest you either read either of the three books or watch some more; there's a LOT of stuff you're missing out on. Point 1 being that Dexter doesn't like blood unless it's tidy...which is why he finds the Ice Truck Killer so fascinating.

Oh and Harry is not what he seemed to be. Neither is Doakes, or Angel or any of the others.

Doggabone

May 11, 2007
Talk about a lame premise for a cop show ... kid has a formative, traumatic experience, is orphaned, and becames a (nearly?) psychotic vigilante on the city streets. Lame! But I've always really liked the premise, and I'm really looking forward to The Dark Knight. Mind you, I'm a gamer, and one of the reasons why is I like stories that begin with an unusual premise - if the follow through is good. Dexter isn't really a cop show, no more than Batman. Like the character Dexter, it's a wolf in sheep's clothing. It uses the trappings of a cop show to bring forward contrasts and subvert expectations.

jim_doki said:
I have only seen one episode, the pilot.
You're not going to get any of the backstory or emotional context of the characters - including Dexter - from the pilot. You're nowhere near to the payoff yet. Dexter isn't a procedural, even when episodes contain procedural sub-plots. If it's the same old fare (CSI, for example), you could probably pick it up. Dexter isn't the same ol', same ol' - the premise does strain credulity. And if it doesn't interest you, you won't invest. Dexter's first episodes are in my view the weakest - few of the characters have been revealed yet (you know the faces, but not the people), the relationships aren't established, and overall you have no sense of context. It's not sensible, yet, how any of it actually "works". There aren't enough pieces of the puzzle that you can start fitting anything together.

But it's believable - no, not realistic, but believable - and a part of the story the series tells is why it's believable. In which context, consider the classic line from a neighbour of a serial killer - "He seemed like such a nice person." It's extremely easy to fool people about who you are. Most people don't want to really know, and will judge you according to their own convenience. I actually find CSI:Miami and NY consistently harder to believe in. (I find them harder to believe in than Chuck, even. Both Dexter and Chuck are true to their set contexts, the CSI shows, while more believable on the surface, distort the premise without due cause.)

It's no surprise, by now, that my view is the opposite of yours. I enjoy the premise, I like the characters, I understand the contexts, I like the writing (there's brilliant comic flourishes), I like the acting, and I'm excited for the third season. You may want to rent the first DVD and see if it grows on you over a few episodes - everyone I've lent mine to has loved the show. Or, y'know, mebbe not. There is no such thing as a universally enjoyed show/movie/game/band/anything.

jim_doki

Mar 29, 2008
I think its a bit of a stretch comparing batman to dexter in terms of premise. For one Batman remembers the traumatic event that changed him, giving him a real motivation. If Bruce had blocked out the death of his parents (like Dex who at this point can't remember what happened to him) the whole thing would seem hokey and emotionally cheap. Also Bruce's offsiders know his secrets and that makes a difference as well. He has a sound wall or five to bounce ideas off whereas Dexter is completely isolated

OK, so my plan is to watch it again this sunday. Like I said, maybe it gets better. I wouldn't normally do it, but since I'm missing something (and I stand that if you want to hook me in in the pilot you gotta do more than explain the premise), i'm willing to check it out. I'll edit the above review with opinions afterward. The sad thing is with no Heroes and no Sarah Conner this could be the closest i get to good TV for a while

eggdog14

Oct 17, 2007
It's fun, and better than most broadcast cable. Showtime seems to fill the gap between cable and legitimate television (HBO.) As long as you don't take it seriously (as it doesn't try to take itself seriously) you're in for an entertaining, albeit not very deep, experience.

RentCavalier

Dec 17, 2007
The idea and the show--like the books--is over the top, but its damn entertaining and downright chilling at times, especially since it has you stuck in the moral conundrum of rooting for a psychotic murderer. It makes the viewer uncomfortable, which is a great and woefully underutilized method of immersing you into the show because it reflects your darker side. A lot of us identify with Dexter for the reasons that he does what a good many of us want to do--in his words, "Taking out the trash", and there's some great psychological build-up to his character, giving his madness a great deal of juicy entertainment value.

jim_doki

Mar 29, 2008
Doggabone said:
But it's believable - no, not realistic, but believable - and a part of the story the series tells is why it's believable. In which context, consider the classic line from a neighbour of a serial killer - "He seemed like such a nice person."
If we were dealing with neighbours with their own lives and own jobs without being trained as homocide detectives then this would hold water. I just find it very hard to believe that there are loads of cops in this city who can't figure out that Dex is a killer. Especially if their job is finding killers. That suspension of disbelief is a little hard to swallow

ANTI-SANTA said:
and if you dont think so your probably one of those idiots who just expect to see gore and violence, and that IS NOT what Dexter is about despite the plot setting
No, I didn't expect blood or violence, I expected an interesting character (which I didn't get), some problems with his setting like the risk of getting caught (which i didn't get) and some awkward situations where his psychosis took the forefront making people think that maybe something was wrong (which i didn't get). These things would make an interesting character driven drama series worth watching. To be honest i still half expect, due to the amount of fans of this show, to get sorted out. I just think as far as pilots go that explain the premise and give us a feel for the characters, this one didn't do a great job. All I got from it was that this show is going to be a monster-of-the-week cop show with a detective that instead of using numbers or psychic powers or evidence, just happens to be a killer. I think that they could have done better and based on this pilot I wouldn't have commissioned the show

Strafe Mcgee

Jan 25, 2008
Though I enjoyed the pilot, it's by no means a reflection of the rest of the show. I can understand what you mean about the 'monster of the week' feel, but it completely changes as the series develops.

Again, most of the things that you're looking for (character development, precarious situations, heightened psychosis), all of these things happen later in the show. Seriously though mate, you can't expect the show to blow its wad in the pilot. Stick with it a while and you'll see the stuff you want.

All the stuff about his father teaching him to kill comes back around in the end too...

Feb 13, 2008
Seriously Jim, give it time, you don't want the whole thing in one chunk.

(Having read all three books and watched both series; I think you might be surprised...)

And you've not met Lila yet.

jim_doki

Mar 29, 2008
see, everyone is saying "watch some more". this was the PILOT EPISODE! it's supposed to make me want more, and it didn't. now I give everything three trys. once, twice to be sure and a third just in case the first two were really shit. this has been a serious strike. I'm not watching because i want to, im watching because by existing it deserves a second shot. not everyone is as forgiving or as generous as i am when it comes to TV, nor should they be, and like I said, the hooks were there, but they weren't sharp enough. now it may get better, i don't know, but to be honest if it doesn't grab me at the start then it's gonna have to work extra hard to grab me now. I shouldnt have to read supplimentary or source material to know how good a show is, i should know that by watching it.

now in defence of the show i have, as i keep saying, only seen one episode, and if it was mid season then maybe i could let it go, but this was the start. this was the episode that was supposed to hook me in and drag me into the story. so even if it gets better, it has to get a LOT better because its first impression wasn't great

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Ironically, you've only succeeded in making me want to see this show, you've give me a goal for the weekend, thanks!

Drong

Oct 31, 2007
I really don't think you can write a review after watching just one episode of a show, I can't think of any live action series that has really grabbed me straight from the pilot, in this case it took me a good 3 or 4 episodes before I was really hooked.

Anyway the series is great and Lila who you don't meet until series 2 is simply georgous, and she's psycho and i'm really attracted to girls who are a little unhinged, I can't help it i just don't like nice girls, call it a character flaw in me if you like.

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
Am I the only one that came in here expecting a review of Dexters lab?

Anyway I really think you should give it more of a chance, you can choose not to like a show after one episode, but please don't review the entire series on one episode.

jim_doki

Mar 29, 2008
Drong said:
I really don't think you can write a review after watching just one episode of a show, I can't think of any live action series that has really grabbed me straight from the pilot.
Firefly, Heroes, Flight of the Conchords, Doctor Who, Robin Hood, Law and Order: SVU and CI, Psych and Burn Notice all did a fantastic job of explaining the premise of the show, introducing the characters and setting up their scenario

AntiAntagonist

Neither good or bad
Apr 17, 2008
jim_doki said:
If we were dealing with neighbours with their own lives and own jobs without being trained as homocide detectives then this would hold water. I just find it very hard to believe that there are loads of cops in this city who can't figure out that Dex is a killer. Especially if their job is finding killers. That suspension of disbelief is a little hard to swallow
Actually psychotics, especially those who have gone to prison, are very adept at lying. I've spoken with a criminal psychologist who showed me and the rest of the group a presentation on sociopaths/psychopaths. During the presentation she mentioned that it is very hard to reform someone with either pathology. As you try to reform them they can learn to use the terms and techniques you are using to reform them as part of their "mask."

Note that a person need not be truly remarkable (or a killer) to be a sociopath/psychopath. These terms were made to not those who are not actually insane, but have issues. If you have ever considered a person that lies often for no benefit, except their own (or none at all), they may be a sociopath.

As to the point of him not having a person with which to converse, there was his father. Plus traumatic experiences can shape who you are even if you forget about them. In many cases the change happens before forgetting (which is essentially a form of defense).

Feb 13, 2008
jim_doki said:
Drong said:
I really don't think you can write a review after watching just one episode of a show, I can't think of any live action series that has really grabbed me straight from the pilot.
Firefly, Heroes, Flight of the Conchords, Doctor Who, Robin Hood, Law and Order: SVU and CI, Psych and Burn Notice all did a fantastic job of explaining the premise of the show, introducing the characters and setting up their scenario
Because they're written from a third person perspective. Dexter is mostly a first person perspective and he's a sociopath; so everyone is a cardboard cut-out to him. That's where his mistakes come from.

The premise is "Here's the world from the view of a killer."; each of the others took an omniscient view point.