Lets talk about games and the lack of good stories

synulia

Mar 1, 2011
Demon's Souls and Diablo II are the perfect ways of telling a story. Not intrusive, not obvious, with more emphasis on filling in the blanks with your imagination. Never is control taken away (ahem..MGS), and the story is all the more effective because of it.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
synulia said:
Demon's Souls and Diablo II are the perfect ways of telling a story. Not intrusive, not obvious, with more emphasis on filling in the blanks with your imagination. Never is control taken away (ahem..MGS), and the story is all the more effective because of it.
Diablo II had a story? I couldn't resist saying it. Anyhow, I have played Diablo II and I have been thinking really hard about the story, but I can't recall anything impressive. It's kill demon A, move to next area, kill demon B, move to next area, etc, etc. The CGI movies were pretty good though. I (still) like Diablo II, but not for its story. I do know there is a lot of background story involved (which are told in books -IRL-), but I just don't see it in the game. It's fine to fill in a few blanks, but not the whole majority of the game.

Sorry, I just don't see it...

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
4RM3D said:
Phoenixmgs said:
I thought the twist was great for about 10 seconds and then I realized that the plot doesn't make any sense.
Maybe. I can't remember the details. It has been a while since I've played the game. Regardless, it was still something different from the usual storyless shooter. A breath of fresh air, even if it didn't succeed.
Yeah, at least Bioshock tried to be a smart game.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
4RM3D said:
Veldt Falsetto said:
I don't like how people bring up JRPGs and cutscene heavy games and say these games have bad stories.
I am not sure if you are suggesting I have said that or that you are talking about people in general. I haven't said JRPGs have bad stories. I only said the story mechanic is static and in need of an overhaul. I still enjoy most JRPGs.
No I didn't mean that at all, you haven't placed the blame on any genre which is good, I was just saying people in general, cause it's a common thing

4RM3D said:
Veldt Falsetto said:
Final Fantasy XIII *snip*
Final Fantasy XIII is only a Final Fantasy game in name, but not in spirit. Personally, I feel that Final Fantasy has died after FFX. The only reason the Final Fantasy franchise exists is because the name sells well. That is not to say the games after FFX are bad. Its just lost the spark of the Final Fantasy series. Now we are heading to a new generation of Final Fantasy. As for FFXIII that really was an interactive movie. Still a somewhat interesting movie though.

I actually agree with you. It doesn't feel at all like a Final Fantasy game. I loved the game but it wasn't Final Fantasy, I've always felt it would get much better reception if it was just called something else entirely.

4RM3D said:
Veldt Falsetto said:
A perfect example of this is another of my favourite games this generation, Tales of Vesperia
Tales of Vesperia is my favorite JRPG game of this generation. It doesn't try anything new. Instead it tries to perfect the old school JRPG feeling. And it has succeeded. The issue you described in the spoiler still holds true. That is one of the limitation of incorporating story into a game. Most games suffer from this. Heck, even Hollywood movies and series have this issue. It all comes down to putting more drama into a scene. But it usually feels out of place with the rest of the movie.
Again, I love ToV for most of the reasons you do, it also has one incredible story and Yuri Lowell is one of my favourite characters around... What Yuri did made him even better a character in my eyes. Though like I said, the situation is what has disappointed me. I felt not only was the impact not there in the scene but I felt that the gameplay ruined the situation. It's all about co-joining the story and the gameplay. I brought up FFXIII for that reason actually.

It gets a lot of criticism for its linearity but I think it needs to be linear for the story to work. Without that linearity, if you were free to explore like Tales of Vesperia the urgency would just disappear, the feel of being hunted, persectued. If FFXIII was anything like an original FF game, the atmosphere would die because of it and the story would suffer.

I'm thinking that we should find a way for traditional story-based games like JRPGs or games like Metal Gear to stay interactive or give the story impact without going to the depths of free choice but without it being a quick time event ridden nightmare. It's just that one part in Tales of Vesperia that lets it down for me, while a defining moment for one of my favourite characters, the lack of impact in those scenes, make all the difference between game of the decade and a great or even amazing game.

I'm being a bit nitpicky but I feel it really lets the game down and it's something almost all story heavy games do.

My point in this lengthened post is that, Tales of Vesperia has an amazing story with great, loveable characters, but it falls short because they haven't joined the game and the story. FFXIII has an amazing story with some great characters that really evolve, some of the best character growth I've seen in a game and it all falls short because the the game and the story are kept seperate. MGS4 is an incredible end to an incredible series that again falls short because it has long segments of cutscene and codec calls that are seperate from the gameplay. We need developers to fix this so that gaming can really meet its potential.

G-Force

Jan 12, 2010
Question, if a game had an amazing story and lore but was ONLY told through optional audio taps, log books and journal entries that the player had to go out of their way to find, would it still be considered a good plot?

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
I really like TF2's story. It's there if you want to read the comics & updates and the dialogue between characters. If your the kind of person who doesn't care for that it's not forced on you.

Left 4 Dead too with the story being the world which you progress though. I hate when people say L4D doesn't have a story. I tell them they aren't looking.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
G-Force said:
Question, if a game had an amazing story and lore but was ONLY told through optional audio taps, log books and journal entries that the player had to go out of their way to find, would it still be considered a good plot?
Most definitely. But games are dumbed down for the masses in order to sell better. So stories being spoon fed also. Which isn't necessarily bad, but you are not stimulated to delve deeper into the story. That is, if there is something at all to dig in.

One of the best RPG games of all time, Planescape: Torment, does this pretty well. There is a basic story foundation and for the rest of the story you really need to delve into the word and start looking for it.

TestECull said:
I think the reason we don't see a story in most games, or at least one that's worth pursuing, is because a vocal bunch of gamers are all "BAH STORY SUCKS FUCK SINGLE PLAYER! PLAY MP GOGOGOGO". They have swayed popular opinion to favoring multiplayer, which 99.99% of the time detracts from the singleplayer of the game to which it is attached.
There we have a completely different problem. For shooters MP is easier to make than SP. But they usually still make both (CoD, Battlefield). But the SP just ends up crappy and everyone goes to the MP. This has a whole different underlying problem. But it will end with SP being removed from the game completely. On the flip side every now and then SP-only shooters emerge. Because they don't have MP, they really need to focus on SP in order to sell. Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a good example.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Revolutionaryloser said:
Modern Warfare 1 ...
Silent Hill 1 to 4 ...
Shadow of the Colossus ...
I agree about Silent Hill 2. Also, if games are art, then Shadow of the Colossus takes the cake. The (suggestive) story of SotC is in the little details. It works well in this game.

But I have to disagree on Modern Warfare 1. MW had issues which prevented the story from reaching its full potential. Still, there where a few interesting moments though... the death scene was pretty cool.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I actually hated Bioshock's storytelling method. The whole thing is told to you through walk-talkies and recordings.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Each form of story telling has it's strong points, games like Bioshock or Bastion are great for keeping the game play going but both rely on heavy use of monologues, which is probably the laziest form of story telling, cut scenes stop the game play but allow for a lot of options in telling the story.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Shark Wrangler said:
Always love when gamers say the story made no sense. Little funny because millions of other people knew what was going on. Basically a cover to a lie because they hated it. Even though you can rack your brain trying to figure it out, the answer won't make any sense. Really more of a get out of jail free card to make fun of the game if they just say it made no sense. There are only a couple of games I have played in my life where the story was to weird or messed up to not really explain to the player on whats happening.
Not to argue against your point, but when a story makes no sense, it can also mean that the story just has plot holes or discrepancies that don't add up. Then again, it can also be like you have described.

Revolutionaryloser said:
Sometimes we have to take a step back and think what is a story to a game.
As far as storytelling goes, that random skull was top notch. It wasn't a conversation, a memo found on a table or an elaborate CGI scene. It was a voluntary and completely free action of the player. You shouldn't forget that.
Ah yes, when you start calling that a story (which I am not saying isn't) then we have to broaden the definition of what a story is in video games. Maybe we should, maybe I should. Let me mediate on this.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Otaku World Order said:
The thing about Bioshock and Bioshock 2 is that they have opposite problems when it comes to the story. In Bioshock, Jack is a pretty blank slate up until that surprisingly stupid "twist". Delta on the other hand feels like a sympathetic character the more we learn about his background. So, Bioshock has the better story, but Bioshock 2 has the better protagonist.
that first twist was incredible, it changed the whole experience immediately. It put a unique spin on the linear story model, it was awesome and not stupid in any way, it was very well thought out.

I did like delta alot too though :)

feebstalicious93

Aug 16, 2009
4RM3D said:
Vault101 said:
your talking about the same hollywood that put out AVATAR
Hey, Avatar is an awesome movie. The story just wasn't as good as the rest of the movie. Nonetheless Avatar was a milestone in movie making.

(Avatar, not to be confused with Avatar: The Last Airbender).
Avatar was just Pocahontas with blue people in space. but visually it was pretty.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Darkmantle said:
that first twist was incredible, it changed the whole experience immediately. It put a unique spin on the linear story model, it was awesome and not stupid in any way, it was very well thought out.
Truth. However, IMO it would have been even more impressive if the game changed the way it was structured once

Jack gets un-conditioned.

It stays more or less as linear as it was, which is a disappointment IMO.

drummond13

Apr 28, 2008
I dunno, I have to disagree. I don't think Mass Effect would be hailed as a "dime a dozen" sci fi movie. The dialog is far better written than most sci fi movies that get released these days. You seem to think it's badly written; gonna have to completely disagree on that one. But that's not surprising as I felt Avatar was one of the most poorly written movies of the past decade. Groundbreaking in visual effects, to be sure, but a simply atrocious script. And I usually like James Cameron's writing. So, we clearly have different tastes. :)

I actually don't mind how well a story is integrated into the game. I had no issue with the Command and Conquer model of story, for example, where you would do a mission and then view a cutscene. As long as those scenes were well written and made me feel like I was actually accomplishing something in the gameplay then it worked for me. I think the bigger problem these days is in the quality of the writing itself. It really doesn't seem valued by the people who make games. Not nearly as much as things like graphics, anyway.