Let's Talk About *GASP* GAMES!

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
the abyss gazes also said:
I'm going to throw my vote behind old school rpg. I'm okay with a text wall over voice acting if it means I can get a good story again. Take Plainscape: Torment model and go from there. Add in a classless you level the stuff you use ala skyrim.

I liked gaining exp from avoiding combat and talking to people.
Hell we need kickstarters for a new planescape and a new arcanum of steamworks and magick obscura!

I know yall are out there saying HELL YEAH!

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
First Thought: What sort of Kickstarter frankenstein game would you fund?

A first person stealth game where you play as a ninja, but are bound by realistic physics. That means you can only run at normal speed, can only hide if you have enough shadows, and you have extremely limited weapons. However, you can climb on anything. I think breaching a Japanese fortress and having freedom to plan your attack would be awesome.
Leaving blood or multiple "missing" guards in a certain area raises the tension of people within that area, and if they get too paranoid, a messenger will move toward the center of the complex to warn the leader. Obviously, you can intercept this messenger.
Some missions would actually involve you wreaking havoc on the defenses and then hiding specifically to increase paranoia within the complex, to deliver a message or draw out the leader.

Second Thought:If there is one thing that most Games cannot get right, what is it?
Choose your own adventure storytelling. Mass Effect is great and all, but I'm sick of choosing between "naive idealist" and "asshole". I'd like to see a game with complex moral dilemnas that have no simple solution, so when you intervene, it actually feels like you changed something based on your own personal outlook.

Third Thought: What sort of gaming technology do you think would be the pinnacle of perfection,
and why do you think we do not have it yet?
Being able to fly directly from the ground or a space station into open space. There are a few games working on this, and Battlefront 3 seems like it might have pulled it off, but goddamn do I want that.
What's holding it back is that space sims aren't that popular these days. There's no precedent for the type of multiplayer this game would provide, though I see that as more of an untapped market than anything else. Still, I guess major developers are going to be cautious about that.

And Lastly: What do you think is missing in the Gaming Industry?
Strong, independent wome-
Um... small groups of focused talent with huge budgets. I'm amazed at what a handful of indie programmers have come up with in the last few years with very small groups and budgets. I think having fewer people working on one project means more focus at the outset, and a better feel for what they're making.

Sh1nobu

Nov 23, 2009
First Thought: An Fighting Game RPG for the PC with an array of unique and interesting characters. This means there's the RPG dialogue, inventory screen and character development as in the Elder Scrolls or Mass Effect, and combat is basically Mortal Kombat.

Second Thought: Not creating emotionally investing situations and characters that are easy to follow. A great example would be Bastion, where the narrative is tied very well with the gameplay. I'd love to see that sort of thing done again.

Third Thought: A powerglove-esque controller that works. I'd bind "Select all units" and "Attack enemy base" to snapping my fingers in a RTS. That would just be uberawesome.

Last Thought: KotoR III.

Mike the Bard

Jan 25, 2010
First thought:I would gladly fun a game like eve online, but the combat system is actually good and less confusing. There are parts of eve online i just love to death. But the combat just keeps getting in the way.

Second Thought: hand-to-hand combat/brawlers , most games do not even come close to making it feel right. a fight should be an brutal dance between offence and defense while you use every possible dirty trick to your advantage. not "smash attack until everything is dead".

third: A.I's that can think on a level of an actual person. We don't have it yet just on sheer lack of tech.

fourth: Risk taking, to many Triple-A publishers aren't willing enough to branch out there.Let me explain it in better terns for said publishers: Innovation is born from risks. And Innovation means boats loads of money. Playing it safe may lead to stable profits unlike risk taking. But for only as long as your consumers don't get bored with you.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
I just want to throw an agreement vote for your last thought. Variety and KOTOR 3.

I don't know exactly how I feel about everything getting an HD remake nowadays. It's nice that the kids can play what we played, but it wasn't that long ago when we were playing them. I feel like it means the industry ran out of ideas.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
AngelBlackChaos said:
First Thought: A Game with RPG elements that is shit your pants scary. I want to literally throw the controller/mouse in fear.
wait...huh? don't those kinda repel one another? Fear is usually a result of helplessness or danger to some degree, real or imagines. Yet the big element of an rpg tends to be that of growing stronger and gaining level/items/power/less-sucky over time. Wouldn't, as the game goes, you grow less fearful as a result? Interesting idea to say the least, just curious how to make it work.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I like your style.

First thought: Shoot 'em ups. Where have they gone? A quick challenging genre of gaming I miss and I would like to take around with me at any time.

Second thought: There is a million things they get wrong most of the time. One thing I'm sick of seeing them spend all their money on is bland action cut scenes. I should be performing the fucking actions! Games are not fucking movies!

Third Thought: Creating great graphics and advanced mechanics with ease and with out spending most of the budget on it. When will it come to that?

Lastly: A lot of things, like more focus on other genres besides FPS, trying new idea's, good design instead of relying on graphics, dialogue that isn't painful, etc.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I'm getting rather tired of the sexism stuff myself. So this seems like a good idea.

First thought: Sequels to fan favourites that didn't sell well, like Mirror's Edge for example. I'm sure lots of games like that could get at least a good chunk of the funding they needed. It would also be a great way to test interest.

Second: Facial animations. I'm getting a bit tired of games where facial animation isn't given the attention it deserves. Most game characters look like stiff soulless robots or ridiculous cartoon characters. I recently got L.A. Noire, which really shows up most other games in this department.

Third: Matrix style virtual reality. Plug your brain in to your Playstation 27 and be completely immersed in the game. You can control your in game character as if it were your own body. There's obvious reasons why we haven't got that yet.

Last: Can't really think of anything that's "missing". Apart from what I mentioned, it's hard to imagine what it is we don't have if we've never had it. I can see improvements on what we already have but I can't think of an entirely new concept to gaming that we really need.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
A pokemon MMO!

Second Thought:If there is one thing that most Games cannot get right, what is it?
Not really sure about this one, I guess I play too little. But a comlpetely balanced game in multiplayer?
Everyones always whining about graphics so that?

Third Thought: What sort of gaming technology do you think would be the pinnacle of perfection,
and why do you think we do not have it yet?

A room that creates a sort of hallucination and you actually DO everything yourself or well controll everything with your brain.

And Lastly: What do you think is missing in the Gaming Industry?
BOOBS AND THIGHT ASSES!!
No idea here either really, there's something for everybody I am pretty happy with what I've got...

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Smeggs said:
Zhukov said:
Wait... I can't talk about gender politics?

Uh...

Well, can I at least imply that people that enjoy different games to me are inferior forms of life? After all, that's what gaming is all about.
Don't forget to call their sexuality into question.

OT: A kickstarter to fund a zombie apocalypse game. Here me out, now, I don't count things like L4D or RE zombie apocalypse, those are shooters and (very bland) horror. I want a proper ZA game, like the ARMAII mod DayZ. Huge open map, survivors can do whatever they want, your goal is literally survival and whatever is left to your imagination. You can start fires, hunt animals for meat, look for supplies, guns and ammo are very scarce, etc. Humans are a bigger threat than the actual zombies, which is how it should be.

I watched a few videos of that game and my mind was reeling. The intensity of some of the situations you are in is amazing.

An apocalypse should be intense, and it should be serious.
Gutted you need CO along with standard game for this, anything like it that just uses base ARMAII?

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Second thought: difficulty. This is understandable b/c many games are pretty complex, but it's somewhat hard to find a mainstream modern game that features authentic difficulty (vs. "this section is extra grindy!" difficulty or "in this section, you have to pause more often to wipe the jam off your face!" difficulty.)

AngelBlackChaos

Aug 3, 2010
dreadedcandiru99 said:
AngelBlackChaos said:
But due to the insane amount of debt that AAA publishers usually accrue during the developement of something like Starcraft, they have to KNOW, it will sell, or they just won't attempt.
It seems to me that the big publishers cause more problems than they solve, in the final analysis. Where do you stand on publishers just going away forever? Because I can see that day coming eventually: it seems to be getting more and more practical for indie developers to come up with an original game idea, make it and pay for it themselves (or Kickstart it), and sell it online without a publisher ever getting involved.
Big publishers are predatory in many ways. They are the big sharks of the business. They aren't going to just stand buy and just fade into the distance. There is too much profit in it. Though it would be nice if big studios became a thing of the past, its highly unlikely. I don't see any of them giving up without a huge fight.

AngelBlackChaos

Aug 3, 2010
Guffe said:
A pokemon MMO!
That...would actually sell like hell, if done right. XD I have no idea why it hasn't gone off.

AngelBlackChaos

Aug 3, 2010
runic knight said:
AngelBlackChaos said:
First Thought: A Game with RPG elements that is shit your pants scary. I want to literally throw the controller/mouse in fear.
wait...huh? don't those kinda repel one another? Fear is usually a result of helplessness or danger to some degree, real or imagines. Yet the big element of an rpg tends to be that of growing stronger and gaining level/items/power/less-sucky over time. Wouldn't, as the game goes, you grow less fearful as a result? Interesting idea to say the least, just curious how to make it work.
Hence why its a frankenstein monster. I think the overall theme would have to be similar to: No matter how strong you get...fast you get...there will always be something lurking...hiding...planning to take all you hold dear...even your life...and utterly destroy it.

It would definitely have to play with confidence. Once people start feeling they are stronger and more in control, something will completely come out of the wayside, and maybe it will be far too strong, maybe not. But there may be a fuck all chance of finding out, because you are running. I think there would have to be a hardcore and a softcore mode, but deaths would absolutely be punished either way.

But in hardcore you lose it forever. And it won't be just monsters that are scary. the environments, the sounds, the other people. In my mind, you could probably even turn it into an mmo if you make the parties only like, 3 or less. and there is a chance that you can't trust the group you re in.

There would be a random chance among players while they are playing, that they will have a chance to play a psychotic. Someone who has lost their way in this dark world, and is now one of the monsters that feeds the world. And no one else will know if that person is one or not. so being in a party can be just as dangerous.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
First Thought: Something new, original and interesing.

Second Thought: Balance between complexity and accessibility. Deus Ex, System Shock, Thief and Hitman did it right. Nowadays it seems accesibility means simplification. Which it doesnt.

Third Thought: We have it. It's called a controller and a video game system. I mean, the graphics are going up, technology is going up, giving us more possibilities, with say, physics and depth, but aside that, I am very happy with a controller and a console/PC and keyboard. So in my mind, we hit perfection in the late 70's and just have been refining that perfection. Motion controls, voice reckognition, all that stuff, are in my opinion, novelties, but overall useless and a step, not necessarily backwards, but just sideways. There is no point to them, even though consoles like the Wii might be super fun.

And Lastly: Respectful community. Why are 90% of gamers entitled assholes? Before people start acting like normal fucking human beings, we will never be taken seriosly.

Araksardet

Jun 5, 2011
First I reply, then I read. Thusly do I roll.

First Thought

Castle Story is a mashup of Minecraft and Age of Empires, more or less. That. Or anything that involves lots of free-form exploration of wild, varied environments, without having very action-heavy gameplay. Mirror's Edge set in the rainforest, and you are a flying squirrel. Something like that.

Second Thought

Most games aren't great at letting you interact with the basic geometry of the level in any meaningful way. I loathe with all my being those times where there is a "locked" wooden door and you can't just fireball it out of the way. Some games do this well, but it's frequently extremely annoying. I understand the technical difficulties (I develop game prototypes in my spare time), but it's still disappointing.

Third Thought

Psychologically correct AI. I don't mean AI that can make the best decisions in complex scenarios (that's frankly easy in comparison), I mean AI that can make decisions in the same way, and with the same complexity level and same motivations, as a human. Oh, also, natural language processing. Once we have those two things, scripted game stories are dead; we'll all have a personal Dungeon Master/director/novelist writing our story in real-time.

And Lastly

The tools to rapidly develop large amounts of content for multiple platforms. Procedural generation of geometry and textures and sound, more widespread use of OpenGL instead of DirectX, more solid cross-platform libraries, more powerful software development tools... oh, also, better planning to avoid crunch. I hate what that kind of poor management does to employees' family lives; my father has been a manager at an engineering firm for almost twenty years and they've never had the kind of ridiculous overtime you see in the game industry.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
SextusMaximus said:
Smeggs said:
Zhukov said:
Wait... I can't talk about gender politics?

Uh...

Well, can I at least imply that people that enjoy different games to me are inferior forms of life? After all, that's what gaming is all about.
Don't forget to call their sexuality into question.

OT: A kickstarter to fund a zombie apocalypse game. Here me out, now, I don't count things like L4D or RE zombie apocalypse, those are shooters and (very bland) horror. I want a proper ZA game, like the ARMAII mod DayZ. Huge open map, survivors can do whatever they want, your goal is literally survival and whatever is left to your imagination. You can start fires, hunt animals for meat, look for supplies, guns and ammo are very scarce, etc. Humans are a bigger threat than the actual zombies, which is how it should be.

I watched a few videos of that game and my mind was reeling. The intensity of some of the situations you are in is amazing.

An apocalypse should be intense, and it should be serious.
Gutted you need CO along with standard game for this, anything like it that just uses base ARMAII?
No, I really don't think so. Not to mention that the base ARMAII controls are absolutelly abysmal. Moving the mouse doesn't turn your character, it only moves your head, which means you have separate buttons to turn left and right. It's like playing a tank-game. Operation Arrowhead fixes this. Day Z is totally worth it, though. Like completelly. I haven't even touched the normal campaign yet. Just been playing Day Z. It's fucking awesome.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Araksardet said:
Psychologically correct AI. I don't mean AI that can make the best decisions in complex scenarios (that's frankly easy in comparison), I mean AI that can make decisions in the same way, and with the same complexity level and same motivations, as a human. Oh, also, natural language processing. Once we have those two things, scripted game stories are dead; we'll all have a personal Dungeon Master/director/novelist writing our story in real-time.
Good point. Last Of Us is looking like it's seriosly trying to create AI so good that the human enemies act like actual people in the situation. I doubt it will work out perfectly, but I am very interested in it.