Let's Talk About *GASP* GAMES!

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
I am sorry for disregarding the four thoughts completely, but I feel like I am finding it more difficult to keep my interest and finish games these days, and anything that can motivate me to play games like I used when i was a teenager would be a ground breaker for me.
Maybe i find that the story line is not intriguing enough any more...
I used to be hooked on JRPG like Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross.
Now even Zelda is hard to stay focused.

A glove type full hand control will be cool...

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Angie7F said:
I am sorry for disregarding the four thoughts completely, but I feel like I am finding it more difficult to keep my interest and finish games these days, and anything that can motivate me to play games like I used when i was a teenager would be a ground breaker for me.
Maybe i find that the story line is not intriguing enough any more...
I used to be hooked on JRPG like Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross.
Now even Zelda is hard to stay focused.

A glove type full hand control will be cool...
Just try new things to spark back your love for the medium. Just play everything. You'll find it. If you dont, just take a break. Few months of not touching a video game makes me always happy to go back. Or do what I do. RETRO COLLECTING! Go and buy an Atari 2600, an Intellivision, Sega Master System, Turbo Express, 3DO. Shit you have never heard of in your life. Shit that's older than you! That's how I became a true hardcore gamer.

TakeshiLive

Mar 8, 2012
First Thought: Pokemon MMO? I'd get behind that.

Second Thought: True advertising. Example given, Peter Molyneux (The man is a fountain of broken promises)

Third Thought: True virtual reality I guess... we don't have it yet because some people out there think that tapping your brain directly into a machine is "unnatural" or "dangerous"

And Lastly: Something along the lines of how Portal came to be. NOT A PORTAL CLONE, but something that's extremely refreshing and original to play.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
AngelBlackChaos said:
Guffe said:
First Thought: What sort of Kickstarter frankenstein game would you fund?
A pokemon MMO!
That...would actually sell like hell, if done right. XD I have no idea why it hasn't gone off.
I think Nintendo had a plan to make a Beta of some sort a couple years back but never started it.
I have actually dreamt of a project like this for a very long time. I have even made a "plan" on how everything should work in the game when it comes to battle etc when I've been bored at school :). Hell I'm over 20 now but if this would go through I'd defineatly give it a shot.

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
First Thought: I'd fund a space simmy GTA with planetside missions and explorable space stations. A simple dream; too bad no one wants to make it so.

Second Thought: "Choices" in games that are propelled by what you want to gain rather than what you're willing to lose. In my limited experience with these types of games, the driving force behind my decision making was choosing "the lesser of the two evils." I want more choices like The Witcher 2's Roche/Iorveth decision, where they don't make me feel like it's a lose/lose situation and actually open up whole new story paths depending on your priorities. I feel like a lot of "TRULY GRAY MORAL CHOICE" WRPGs get "ambiguous" mixed with "lose/lose" too much. It doesn't always have to be that way.

Third Thought: I feel like we have it already: The processing power to do just about any game we want, and make them look great. I'm really one of those that fears even more graphical power as I watch the gap between indie and AAA widen. We can pull Crysis; why do we need more? The moment we cross the uncanny valley and gunshots yield realistic brain bits, I'm fucking out.

And Lastly: Sanity in the fanbase. After ME3, the vocal minorities have gone completely off the deep end in the way that they air out their grievances. I fully believe it's set a bad precedent. Operation Rainfall should have been the one to really show fans how to rally together, not the Retake ME3 people.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Vkmies said:
SextusMaximus said:
Smeggs said:
Zhukov said:
Wait... I can't talk about gender politics?

Uh...

Well, can I at least imply that people that enjoy different games to me are inferior forms of life? After all, that's what gaming is all about.
Don't forget to call their sexuality into question.

OT: A kickstarter to fund a zombie apocalypse game. Here me out, now, I don't count things like L4D or RE zombie apocalypse, those are shooters and (very bland) horror. I want a proper ZA game, like the ARMAII mod DayZ. Huge open map, survivors can do whatever they want, your goal is literally survival and whatever is left to your imagination. You can start fires, hunt animals for meat, look for supplies, guns and ammo are very scarce, etc. Humans are a bigger threat than the actual zombies, which is how it should be.

I watched a few videos of that game and my mind was reeling. The intensity of some of the situations you are in is amazing.

An apocalypse should be intense, and it should be serious.
Gutted you need CO along with standard game for this, anything like it that just uses base ARMAII?
No, I really don't think so. Not to mention that the base ARMAII controls are absolutelly abysmal. Moving the mouse doesn't turn your character, it only moves your head, which means you have separate buttons to turn left and right. It's like playing a tank-game. Operation Arrowhead fixes this. Day Z is totally worth it, though. Like completelly. I haven't even touched the normal campaign yet. Just been playing Day Z. It's fucking awesome.
I'm so close to buying this game. You JUST need Arrowhead? not CO as well?

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Zhukov said:

Uh...

Well, can I at least imply that people that enjoy different games to me are inferior forms of life? After all, that's what gaming is all about.
I thought it was about raping and pwning n00bz.

Fuck! Wasted my life.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
First Thought: A "Fall From Heaven" or similar mod for Civilization V. FFH made Civ IV 100X better.

Second Thought: The perfect balance between organic and inorganic difficulty. Also, the perfect balance between gameplay and story/cinematics

Third Thought: I don't know because we do not have it yet. And that is because it has not yet been made. But I suppose technology that connects with your brain would probably be optimal. It could stimulate all the senses perfectly and with absolute immersion.

And Lastly: I think it's pretty good. Money, I guess, the recession hasn't exactly benefited gaming, but besides that...

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
When gaming with someone, what gender they are never crosses my mind. The only sort of thing important is if I go down[footnote]Not like that, you dirty bastard.[/footnote] will this fucker actually revive me? Etc...

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
AngelBlackChaos said:

Second Thought:If there is one thing that most Games cannot get right, what is it?

Third Thought: What sort of gaming technology do you think would be the pinnacle of perfection,
and why do you think we do not have it yet?

And Lastly: What do you think is missing in the Gaming Industry?

And if you mention something involving sexism I will flog you.-.-

Captcha: Face the music. Yeah, I know, sexism threads will continue. This probably won't, but maybe?
I was actually thinking of making a thread with a similar title/post, but since this is already here I'll try keep this one going ^^

1: Battlefront 3. WHERE IS OUR BATTLEFRONT 3?
2: Not sure, but for MMOs it would be end game content/replayability, I don't understand devs that make a Pay to Play MMO that gives you no reason to keep playing.
3: Technology that would respond to your eyes movement, it's not here because of obvious technological limits.
4: There aren't enough people crafting well thought out/balanced mechanics in games, they make what seems fun/cool/will sell well and seem to take the actual skill based gaming out of it. See MW2/3, GoW 3, Diablo 3 etc. etc.

soitgoes19

Jul 8, 2012
AngelBlackChaos said:
Second Thought:If there is one thing that most Games cannot get right, what is it?

Big and interesting worlds. I love having a lot to explore, but the story/lore has got to be well-written and (somewhat) original. I feel like every time a game comes along with a huge world the story and premise behind it all is extremely generic. Elves, dwarves, and orcs are crippling the fantasy genre.

dreadedcandiru99

Apr 13, 2009
AngelBlackChaos said:
dreadedcandiru99 said:
AngelBlackChaos said:
But due to the insane amount of debt that AAA publishers usually accrue during the developement of something like Starcraft, they have to KNOW, it will sell, or they just won't attempt.
It seems to me that the big publishers cause more problems than they solve, in the final analysis. Where do you stand on publishers just going away forever? Because I can see that day coming eventually: it seems to be getting more and more practical for indie developers to come up with an original game idea, make it and pay for it themselves (or Kickstart it), and sell it online without a publisher ever getting involved.
Big publishers are predatory in many ways. They are the big sharks of the business. They aren't going to just stand buy and just fade into the distance. There is too much profit in it. Though it would be nice if big studios became a thing of the past, its highly unlikely. I don't see any of them giving up without a huge fight.
I'm kind of thinking (read: "hoping") that their eagerness to put up a fight, and their desperation to wring every last penny out of gamers, may ultimately do them in, actually. Look at EA--how long has it been since the last time we saw a news story about something they did right? Everything I've read lately has been about how anti-consumer they are, and how Origin is made of crap and failure, and so on. Apparently they can only stay afloat by buying up developers and milking them dry, and who knows how long they'll be able to keep doing that. It may take a while, but if they eventually go under, I'll shed no tears for them.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
SextusMaximus said:
Vkmies said:
SextusMaximus said:
Smeggs said:
Zhukov said:

Uh...

Don't forget to call their sexuality into question.

OT: A kickstarter to fund a zombie apocalypse game. Here me out, now, I don't count things like L4D or RE zombie apocalypse, those are shooters and (very bland) horror. I want a proper ZA game, like the ARMAII mod DayZ. Huge open map, survivors can do whatever they want, your goal is literally survival and whatever is left to your imagination. You can start fires, hunt animals for meat, look for supplies, guns and ammo are very scarce, etc. Humans are a bigger threat than the actual zombies, which is how it should be.

I watched a few videos of that game and my mind was reeling. The intensity of some of the situations you are in is amazing.

An apocalypse should be intense, and it should be serious.
Gutted you need CO along with standard game for this, anything like it that just uses base ARMAII?
No, I really don't think so. Not to mention that the base ARMAII controls are absolutelly abysmal. Moving the mouse doesn't turn your character, it only moves your head, which means you have separate buttons to turn left and right. It's like playing a tank-game. Operation Arrowhead fixes this. Day Z is totally worth it, though. Like completelly. I haven't even touched the normal campaign yet. Just been playing Day Z. It's fucking awesome.

CO includes normal Arma II and Operation Arrowhead. At least that's what I thought. That's what I have and that's what you need... I think... 0_0

AngelBlackChaos

Aug 3, 2010
dreadedcandiru99 said:
AngelBlackChaos said:
dreadedcandiru99 said:
AngelBlackChaos said:
But due to the insane amount of debt that AAA publishers usually accrue during the developement of something like Starcraft, they have to KNOW, it will sell, or they just won't attempt.
It seems to me that the big publishers cause more problems than they solve, in the final analysis. Where do you stand on publishers just going away forever? Because I can see that day coming eventually: it seems to be getting more and more practical for indie developers to come up with an original game idea, make it and pay for it themselves (or Kickstart it), and sell it online without a publisher ever getting involved.
Big publishers are predatory in many ways. They are the big sharks of the business. They aren't going to just stand buy and just fade into the distance. There is too much profit in it. Though it would be nice if big studios became a thing of the past, its highly unlikely. I don't see any of them giving up without a huge fight.
I'm kind of thinking (read: "hoping") that their eagerness to put up a fight, and their desperation to wring every last penny out of gamers, may ultimately do them in, actually. Look at EA--how long has it been since the last time we saw a news story about something they did right? Everything I've read lately has been about how anti-consumer they are, and how Origin is made of crap and failure, and so on. Apparently they can only stay afloat by buying up developers and milking them dry, and who knows how long they'll be able to keep doing that. It may take a while, but if they eventually go under, I'll shed no tears for them.
Only issue is, their nature could also save them. They can pull people with great ideas, desperate to start them, and use them to their advantage. Unfortunately, with so many great IPs owned by these sharks, we may lose a lot of our favorite franchises because of it. Or they will get desperate and ruin the hell out of them. Hopefully if that happened and the dust settled, eventually developers could pick up the pieces from the ashes and start anew.

While kickstarter is fabulous way to get smaller games started, the ones that need larger manpower and money might not be as easily funded. Now, if we learned how to lower the cost of technology and make public use sources to expand upon, maybe it would end up cheaper for larger games and more feasible for kickstarter.

AngelBlackChaos

Aug 3, 2010
soitgoes19 said:
AngelBlackChaos said:

Big and interesting worlds. I love having a lot to explore, but the story/lore has got to be well-written and (somewhat) original. I feel like every time a game comes along with a huge world the story and premise behind it all is extremely generic. Elves, dwarves, and orcs are crippling the fantasy genre.
That's one of the many things I want as well. There are literally thousands of ideas from small time writers that would be great for gaming. We need big fantasy get together to get these things in motion XD

mfeff

Nov 8, 2010
SextusMaximus said:
Vkmies said:
SextusMaximus said:
Smeggs said:
Zhukov said:
Super snip.

Combined Operations is an ad hoc. title for Arma II base w/ Operation Arrowhead bundled in. CO is generally what is purchased for use with Day Z, as opposed to buying the base game and then patching over to OA.

Buying them separate has it's advantages if you happen to come across a sale, but you will need both or just CO (which is both) before patching in DayZ and additional beta patches.

The game itself is quite serviceable although from time to time suffers from a couple of the old "Arma II" bugs which many are unintended consequences of the engine.

Day Z "can" be played as a freebie to my knowledge, but that entails the low resolution textures... which are pretty poor.

Lots of folk that "complain" about Arma II and it's controls often are simply just not that familiar with Arma and titles with strong simulation elements. Track-Ir solves the head motion issue, which is really not an issue. As far as the game goes I "typically" suggest running the first campaign of AII before venturing into Day Z, I find that a little experience with how the game goes about "doing things" is more gentle than the frustration of the mod + the frustration of learning something new.

Anywho, if you pick it up enjoy; not too many games today built around "consequences".

mfeff

Nov 8, 2010
AngelBlackChaos said:
Not only does it depress me that its essentially showing that SOME parts of the Gaming Community have a lot of growing up to do, but that because most do not know how to deal with these current issues, that actual genderless gaming discussion has ceased.
Had I been asked a year ago I may of said the greatest game played in western society was the blame game... today, I would abridge that statement to cynicism with a touch of polarization. It is what it is.

Third Thought: What sort of gaming technology do you think would be the pinnacle of perfection,
and why do you think we do not have it yet?

1) I began working on a kick-starter to fund starting a "kick-starter" which functions as a hedge fund. Think we are going to sit it out at least a year to see if this pseudo banking get's smacked with regulations. Curious about the ramifications of some of the discussion concerning consumer rights especially with the viability of used direct download content.

2) Matching game play with narrative theme. Niko Bellic "I want to get away from that life"... Mission 1: Kill 100 people.

3) Getting away from vertices/texture map and implementing systems that allow for amorphous materials, particle based representative material, and the lovable voxel... and there are a couple others.

This appears to be held back by a conflict in paradigm, hardware designers and by that hardware companies seem to have a focus on more power and operations per second utilizing a proven technology. Software engineers and heavily educated students of computational mathematics seem to lean towards streamlining the systems approach. Ideally a solution lies somewhere in the middle where classical artistry and architecture may find a home in an environment that is procedural in generation. It's a bit of a tech leap here, as many of these systems have no way to check themselves upon a final render, that is, an object may be rendered but it may not render in context of the scene.

4) Experienced certified software engineers.

"Hocus Pocus"... that about says it all... ;)

random_bars

Oct 2, 2010
Mr. GameBrain said:
We've already seen how well this sort of strategy works with Double Fine.
Psychonauts and Brutal Legend were commercial failures (despite being good games in their own right), but their XBLA games have performed extremely well.
I see this all the time but I really don't think I've seen any evidence that it's actually true. Sure, having multiple projects has seemingly helped keep the lights on at Double Fine: getting a game cancelled means they have to find new work for a quarter of the company, not the entire company.

But the games themselves? I don't think they've made anywhere NEAR the impact that Psychonauts or Brutal Legend did. I personally don't think they were nearly as good as those games either. And in terms of popularity, I'm sure they sold enough to make a little profit but they didn't exactly drown the company in money, and they certainly didn't take off like some other similarly sized games have (Bastion comes to mind).

The Kickstarter project definitely DID kick off in a big way, but Costume Quest, Stacking and Iron Brigade? I don't think so, really, and I haven't seen anything to suggest otherwise (apart from people parroting your words on forums and stuff). Seriously, you might well be right, but what makes you think so?

dreadedcandiru99

Apr 13, 2009
AngelBlackChaos said:
dreadedcandiru99 said:
AngelBlackChaos said:
dreadedcandiru99 said:
AngelBlackChaos said:
[snip]
[snip]
Only issue is, their nature could also save them. They can pull people with great ideas, desperate to start them, and use them to their advantage. Unfortunately, with so many great IPs owned by these sharks, we may lose a lot of our favorite franchises because of it. Or they will get desperate and ruin the hell out of them. Hopefully if that happened and the dust settled, eventually developers could pick up the pieces from the ashes and start anew.

While kickstarter is fabulous way to get smaller games started, the ones that need larger manpower and money might not be as easily funded. Now, if we learned how to lower the cost of technology and make public use sources to expand upon, maybe it would end up cheaper for larger games and more feasible for kickstarter.
Just thought I'd share this. It's mainly about Bioware and EA, but I think it's kind of relevant. In my experience, this guy is usually right about things.