Lets talk about Girls that play video games

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Phasmal said:
itsthesheppy said:
The fact that one half of the human races also likes stuff the other half of it does is about as non-exciting as learning that the sun came up today... just like yesterday!
Psh. The sun only did that to impress gamer dudes. ;D
I should have known that the sun was a poser from the start.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
I've had a number of female friends in gaming, none of which I keep up with any more. The last I called bullshit on when she kept moaning about her personal life in a "message to all friends" to seek attention. She deleted me when I politely told her (paraphrased) "it seems less personal when each message starts with 'message to all friends' and it's selfish to think that we all give a shit, all of the time, about your personal life."

Another so called "female gamer", someone I was friendly with for a good few months, called my good mate shit then belted out uncalled-for insults at him for an hour over something trivial... she was the worst player in every match I ever played with her on that game (exaggeration), but what isn't an exaggeration is how much she suckered up the the male attention. Every. Single. Time.

So from past experiences, I actually try and avoid female gamers I encounter in the flow. I'd rather get to know them outside gaming - and no, I don't care when I am playing with or against them. Never have, never will. They're only human and girl gamers are a fast growing proportion of players.

I if memory serve me well, I've only ever met one female gamer that I didn't grow to despise - she was Greek and this was years ago, on WoW...

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Bvenged said:
I've had a number of female friends in gaming, none of which I keep up with any more. The last I called bullshit on when she kept moaning about her personal life in a "message to all friends" to seek attention. She deleted me when I politely told her (paraphrased) "it seems less personal when each message starts with 'message to all friends' and it's selfish to think that we all give a shit, all of the time, about your personal life."
You sound like a real charmer.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Most of them can kick my ass at Guitar Hero.

And as for the other thing, I hate it when YouTUBE whores (too many) use their tits to get quick views. But if someone watches a video just because the person starring in it has a pair of breasts, they're equally as bad, if not more shallow and worse.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
itsthesheppy said:
Bvenged said:
You sound like a real charmer.
Trust me, it was a message or two a day she would send to a full Xbox friends list of 100 people, talking about her daughter, how she loves a program on Netflix, how she "hates her life because her cross-atlantic, never-met-in-person boyfriend dumped her" then the next day "loves life soooo much" because she's eating her favourite ice cream. It was nothing but annoying after a while and even downright rude when every single message began with "Message to all friends:" ... my daughter got asked out in school today, you know she takes from her mother!"

She was a nice person at first, but then the torrent of messages occurred and it felt like I was being her audience rather than being her friend.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Bvenged said:
So from past experiences, I actually try and avoid female gamers I encounter in the flow. I'd rather get to know them outside gaming - and no, I don't care when I am playing with or against them. Never have, never will. They're only human and girl gamers are a fast growing proportion of players.
Is that not contradictory?
Sounds contradictory to me.
And if it's chill to label all female gamers in one way because of a minority, I have a few choice words for male gamers...

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Vault101 said:
ElPatron said:
maintaining feminine make up and care for the eyebrows,
you ever sat in front of a mirror to pluck your eyebrows?

its not fun
Who said it was?

Moonlight Butterfly said:
She didn't want to appear in public looking like Des Lynam. What an attention seeker! >_>
There is a difference between plucking extra hair and actually do that waxing thing to change the shape of the eyebrows. I have definitely plucked more hair than I can count, but my eyebrows have retained it's shape since... ever.

Trilligan said:
The second of this girl's videos seems to have escaped your attention, but in it she discusses the very topic we're discussing (suddenly very acerbically) here - about gamer girls and the stereotypes, both male and female, that get associated with them. She actually has some decent things to say about it, and if the OP had watched it methinks this post might not have existed in the first place.
I might have paid attention, but I couldn't stand her fake voice.

If her natural voice is like that all the time... She would be annoying, to say the least.

TehCookie said:
Then girls are called fat landwhales who don't show their faces because they're ugly and only pretend to like games since that's the only way they'll get some guy as desperate as her.
Irrelevant. But landwhale is a pretty funny insult.

TehCookie said:
no way a pretty girl would like videogames (for example one might say she used youtube money from attention whoring to buy a nice computer instead of because she legitimately likes to game).
/facepalm

Why would she need a gaming rig if she didn't enjoy games?

She used youtube money to buy a computer... instead of because she likes to game? Wait, what?

TehCookie said:
If guys didn't make a big deal about gurrl gamers they wouldn't have a audience to try to impress.
That might have made sense in your mind, but I am still trying to figure out how that would play out.

I'm out, I can't understand half of what I just read.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
I feel that all that needs to be defined is the term 'gamer' - male or female. People enjoy labels too much, it's like the whole world is a DVD collection, alphabetised and divided by genre.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Lilani said:
Torrasque said:
Disclaimer: Obviously not all female gamers are like this. I know many female gamers that don't identify themselves as girl gamers, they just enjoy games

For the love of god, don't bring the Felicia Day vs. Ryan Perez discussion here.
Aaaaaaaaaaand, there's your problem. It's the whole "vocal minority" thing at its best. The reason you hear about girl gamers obnoxiously labeling themselves as "girl gamers" is because they're the only ones who publicize the fact. The "regular" girl gamers, who are just females who happen to play games, don't publicize the fact so as far as you know they don't even exist. But they do, and as far as I've been able to tell they outnumber the obnoxious ones. It just seems like there's a lot more obnoxious ones because they're the only ones you hear about.

As for why they do it...well, as a female myself I can tell you that whether or not they like to admit it, a LOT of guys online glorify girls when they appear. I'm an admin on a TF2 server, and while the regulars are used to my presence just about every other night I'm on we'll have some new guy hear me on the mic and he'll say, "Oh my God, a girl is playing?! No way!" They won't always make the lame jokes, but they'll acknowledge my presence in some way. So yes, statistically we are more or less a novelty and many guys themselves point it out. So it's sort of a no-brainer that some girls would take that attention and weaponize it so they can constantly remind themselves and be reminded of how "unusual" and "rare" they are. In other words, it's all about attention. With some girls if you give them an inch, they'll take a mile. So if you tell them they're unique once or twice, they'll expect to be told it every time they appear.
This, so very much. I really can't add anything to the discussion without repeating what has already been said right here. You've made me redundant. I hope you're happy.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Phasmal said:
Bvenged said:
Is that not contradictory?
Sounds contradictory to me.
And if it's chill to label all female gamers in one way because of a minority, I have a few choice words for male gamers...
No not at all... I'm not putting myself across clearly. What I mean is I don't fret like a kid getting his sweats early when I see a girl gamer in a lobby, I just shrug my shoulders and carry on playing. I used to get friendly, play with them in games a few times then make it more regular... more friend-like. Now I wont consider them a friend quite so quickly.

I know it's bad to stereotype based on a minority, but a minority is all I've had to experience over the past few years within gaming itself. I know that a lot of the women on The Escapist forums are gamers, and a good portion of you reflect the contrary to the girls I've met in gaming actual.

And I know for a fact that male gamers can be worse socially when it comes to gaming, but for the subject at hand on female gamers that is what my view is: I'd rather get to know them first than sucker up too soon and find out they're just playing the gender-card for a social high, and I'm not phased if there is a girl in the lobby anyway.

Gah, that sounds corny even to me.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
I am a girl gamer myself, but I don't spurrl around the interwebs going all 'OHMYGODGUYSLOOKATMEI'MAGIRLGAMERANDIPOSTSEXYPICSOFMYSELFBITINGGAMECONTROLLERS' because I find that fucking stupid. I also hate the people that 'claim' they are girl gamers because 'there boyfriend's taught them how to play Call of Duty' or 'I just bought a PLAYSTATION 3 AND CALL OF DUTY LOL'

But in a retrospect, I hate these boards honestly. Unnecessary arguments over something so fucking stupid -_-

Oct 11, 2011
Personally, I just don't care. If you're playing the game and playing it well, that's all I care about. I play a lot of co-op MP and I always prefer teammates who can help with the game, regardless of gender.

MrMan999

Oct 25, 2011
Sarah Kerrigan said:
I am a girl gamer myself, but I don't spurrl around the interwebs going all 'OHMYGODGUYSLOOKATMEI'MAGIRLGAMERANDIPOSTSEXYPICSOFMYSELFBITINGGAMECONTROLLERS' because I find that fucking stupid. I also hate the people that 'claim' they are girl gamers because 'there boyfriend's taught them how to play Call of Duty' or 'I just bought a PLAYSTATION 3 AND CALL OF DUTY LOL'

But in a retrospect, I hate these boards honestly. Unnecessary arguments over something so fucking stupid -_-
Are you kidding? These shitstorms and flamewars are entertaining as all hell. :p

Seriously though I agree. I really hate those "GAMER GURLS" Who just do it for attention.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I didn't reply to your arguments in order so let me try to clear it up.
ElPatron said:
TehCookie said:
Then girls are called fat landwhales who don't show their faces because they're ugly and only pretend to like games since that's the only way they'll get some guy as desperate as her.
Irrelevant. But landwhale is a pretty funny insult.
You said they should do it in a way where it doesn't seem like they are attention whoring, and there is no way if they can tell you are a girl. If they show their face they will be considered attention whoring just because of their gender. If they don't show themselves to avoid being accused of attention whoring then they are ugly.

ElPatron said:
TehCookie said:
no way a pretty girl would like videogames (for example one might say she used youtube money from attention whoring to buy a nice computer [to get a bigger audience] instead of because she legitimately likes to game).
/facepalm

Why would she need a gaming rig if she didn't enjoy games?

She used youtube money to buy a computer... instead of because she likes to game? Wait, what?
Previously you said, ""Girl gamer" is a persona a girl adopts on camera just to get Youtube monheis to afford those gaming rigs." Because obviously none of the girls worked a real job to buy it /sarcasm. Some people will try to think of any other reason to why a girl has a nice rig and I was attempting to use your youtube money one as an example. I did kind of fail at that.

ElPatron said:
TehCookie said:
If guys didn't make a big deal about gurrl gamers they wouldn't have a audience to try to impress.
That might have made sense in your mind, but I am still trying to figure out how that would play out.

I'm out, I can't understand half of what I just read.
Things that feed on attention starve if you don't give them any. Don't give people who do that tons of hits on their video, just ignore them.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
TehCookie said:
You said they should do it in a way where it doesn't seem like they are attention whoring
Which means being themselves instead of acting and not trying to "attention whore" (it is now a verb).

If someone is "attention whoring" and trying to make it seem they are not... then that's not being honest again.

TehCookie said:
ElPatron said:
Previously you said, ""Girl gamer" is a persona a girl adopts on camera just to get Youtube monheis to afford those gaming rigs." Because obviously none of the girls worked a real job to buy it /sarcasm. Some people will try to think of any other reason to why a girl has a nice rig and I was attempting to use your youtube money one as an example. I did kind of fail at that.
Just because I can afford things doesn't mean I don't feel bad spending money on myself. Free money makes it a lot easier.

I mean, I support a lot of channels that use the revenue they get to buy new things to show off. I suppose people with gaming vlogs do the same. I would.

Let's compare it to FPS Russia. He's not using tits to attract people. He's portraying a Russian character because that's what people want to see. He's like an actor playing a role on a movie, except it's a vlog.

Now about the "gamer girl" vlog. Imagine a reality show. People watch that bullshit even thought it's fake, scripted, doctored, engineered, following a formula to give what people want and pass it as "reality". Basically "Gamer girls" are Snooki.

TehCookie said:
Things that feed on attention starve if you don't give them any. Don't give people who do that tons of hits on their video, just ignore them.
Okay, that makes sense. But people complaining about gamer girls doesn't make people want to look and dem tits. At most it will make some people reflect on their subscriptions, or not change anyone's opinion at all. Either way, it's not generating revenue to them.

But in /k/ tripfags don't think like that. They are very self-centered but not delusional.

Plus, it's /k/ - Weapons. A tripfag spitting bullshit (like they usually do) can actually get people killed or injured. So we usually have to actually do something to prevent disinformation.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
ElPatron said:
TehCookie said:
You said they should do it in a way where it doesn't seem like they are attention whoring
Which means being themselves instead of acting and not trying to "attention whore" (it is now a verb).

If someone is "attention whoring" and trying to make it seem they are not... then that's not being honest again.

I mean, I support a lot of channels that use the revenue they get to buy new things to show off. I suppose people with gaming vlogs do the same. I would.

Let's compare it to FPS Russia. He's not using tits to attract people. He's portraying a Russian character because that's what people want to see. He's like an actor playing a role on a movie, except it's a vlog.

Now about the "gamer girl" vlog. Imagine a reality show. People watch that bullshit even thought it's fake, scripted, doctored, engineered, following a formula to give what people want and pass it as "reality". Basically "Gamer girls" are Snooki.
Sorry just had to point that out. To an extent all vlogs are attentionwhoring. Besides you're comparing a quality vlog to a crap one. I don't watch any but I would guess there are tons of guys who make really shitty vlogs that are ignored and at least a few quality ones made by girls.

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
Phasmal said:
hooksashands said:
The worst irony contained in all this is that guys aren't allowed to admit female gamers are 'sexy' without being lashed to death.
I dont understand that, the only people I see giving guys crap about wanting a girl who games is usually other dudes.
I don't get that either. I would of course want a boyfriend who shared my hobby.
Lucky for me there are gamer dudes a-plenty.
But seriously, I can't imagine going out with someone who didn't game.
First, story time:

My best friend is a girl. Her Steam handle and Xbox tag are concealing to her gender. They used to not be. She had 'cute' names that didn't verify 100% that she was a girl but strongly hinted at it. Once upon a time, we would even hang out it in game chat.

But then the creeps started to pour in. I recall in just one day 27 people sent her friend requests, all dudes. Then there was that time we were matched up in L4D2 and this other girl was on our team. I forget her exact tag (Shibaya? )She would not leave my friend alone. She insulted her skill, her physical appearance, her diet, her boyfriend, her everything. Completely ignored me to spew hate at her. It's not as if we knew who this was, to my recollection. The first and only time I've seen her. A girl who dislikes other girls. Some people are just cut out that way regardless of sex. Between the overly flirtatious men and the turbobitch women, I think it finally broke her shell. Last I checked she was using one of those voice modulators to sound like a deep voiced little boy.

So the vidjagame womenz hide. They hide like my friend did. They hide their real names, their gender, sometimes even their sexuality from everyone. They wear a fake mustache in guild chats. And there's nothing wrong with that in and of itself, everyone is entitled to privacy. My outrage is that they shouldn't have to be limited to that option for avoiding judgement and harassment. If 44% of gamers really are female, how is this even happening? It boggles my mind.

FYI Phasmal: Sending you a creep-free Friend request... and an invitation for a movie and cake.

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
Wait...this thread is still going?

I'm suprised people are still arguing about this!

I just feel sorry for the games man.
Yeah, you know those things, that we play, on our downtime.

I'm going to go and play some Monster Hunter.
(The Yian Kut Ku must be harvested!)

dcdude171

Oct 16, 2009
Well what your kind of saying as something akin to " Why does it matter if barrack is the first black president he is just a person like any other president" Its because girls are not known to play games as much as guys and therefore it is interesting