Let's talk about tattoos

fadingdragon

Jun 21, 2013
I love tattoos as long as they are not too rude especially around children. I myself have a dragon tattoo on my back around 20cm in size.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
omega 616 said:
Well fuck the lot of you, I have a tribal tattoo sleeve haha! All picking on lil ol' me!

You these "you should only get a tattoo of something that means something to you" why? Can't people just treat there skin like a blank canvass and make it look more interesting?

My tattoo obviously means fuck all but I love it, I think it looks awesome. As for how others see me, I don't care what they think and I'm not just saying it to the "haters" whether you like it or not I don't care ... obviously I would prefer you to like it but doesn't bother me either way.

I might get more meaningless tattoos, I might get ones with meaning but letting others dictate what is ok and what isn't with tattoos is annoying. I don't like to see gaming tattoo's or tramp stamps but they're cool by me 'cos they aren't on me.

Just look at this ...

Dirty Hipsters said:
I personally don't have a tattoo ...the douchey tribal tattoos ... Whenever someone has any of these tattoos I tend to stay far away from them and not want to associate with those people because I feel like they're idiots with poor decision making skills.
I've got better decision making skills than those who drink till they can't stand and I wouldn't say I'm an idiot.

What I choose to tattoo onto myself should have no bearing on how I am treated, me being a dick should make you avoid me.

It's like this

I could just as easily say something like "I don't like people who have no tattoo's 'cos they are boring or just scared" but that's not true, plenty of people have no tattoos for loads of reasons but I wont judge them for it.
I can respect that, it is your choice what you put on your body.

I personally would not consider a tattoo unless it had great meaning to me, but I do not begrudge people their tribals and stuff. I try not to judge people until I get to know them. On women, I find certain tattoos highly attractive, even extensive ones if I find them tasteful. On men they can be intimidating and, while I might be taken aback, I would try not to judge until I knew more.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
I have one small tattoo with a little personal mantra and symbol on my inner forearm. am working on getting more, but have not found the "right" artist to do what i want yet.

My girlfriend on the other hand is an ink junky. She has i believe 32 individual pieces of art on her body, some of which she did herself.

I love her ink. I think it is beautiful, and the different images show a different chapter of her life. Every time i look over her body naked, it's like reading her life as a book. Every so often she will explain in passing the circumstances surrounding each individual piece, it is quite amazing.

Overall .. Love ink. Even though i have very little myself.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Vildleder said:
I've been thinking of saving up for a tattoo on my back, featuring the rod of Asclepius (the traditional symbol of the medicinal profession). A trite unoriginal, I know, but becoming a doctor has been the dream-goal for a long-ass time, so when I finally do become one in a couple of years time, I could treat myself to something which at least has a little meaning.
Similarly, I would like to join the Royal Marines after university and plan to commemorate passing the training (assuming I do) by getting the emblem on my shoulder.

Jessta

Feb 8, 2011
I kind of want to get an alder leaf with burnt fringes on my shoulder, I drew up a couple of templates for it at one point but haven't really gotten around to looking into it, I figure when I finish college if I still want it I'll get it.
The symbolism would be mostly personal in that I grew up in a heavily forested area with a lot of alder, birch, and pine trees, and one of my fondest memories is a big camping trip I did with some friends to this little deserted island where we made this huge bonfire, I spent the whole night watching the sparks drift into the sky while everyone slept. Also that alder leaves were one of the first things I learned how to draw and when I was learning life drawing I drew them in like a hundred different ways learning shading and tones and different tools, to this day when I get a new tool or see a new technique I generally either draw a cat, a alder leaf, or an eye to test it out.
Plus since I'm going to college for art I figure the template I design will only be that much better and I'll have that much more money to spend on it.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
personally, i would love one.

however, i am too chicken to get a permanent one, that and i would change my mind of what i want every two weeks or so :D

my solution: temporary mendhi tattoos that are not put deep into the skin with a needle, but rather "scratched" in into a higher skin layer. they start to fade after a few months and then disappear without trace.

it has downsides of course. the few weeks when it's fading it looks a bit silly until it's completely gone. and because of some limitations in the colours, you typically only have colours of the black-brownish-red spectrum, all others are a bit hard to come by.

nonetheless, although not real tattoos, they are perfect for my indecisive self. :D

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I want one but can never agree on something i like. An by that i mean one i design my own. I think its pointless to chose one from the shop as its not personal.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
I like tattoos. I would like some. Don't know what yet, and don;t think I could afford one if I did anyway. But I do want to treat my skin like one canvas. It's a composition, not a sketchbook,so it might just be I never actually get a tattoo, out of pure pickyness. Great reason to be picky though.

Super Kami Guru

Aug 10, 2011
sageoftruth said:
So, what are you planning to do when your favorite song isn't your favorite song anymore? Isn't that how guys end up with "Green Day" logos tattooed to their chest?
Completely different, even if this song does cease to be my favourite it will always be important because the meaning is so deep and powerful, if I ever change to the point where I don't like this band and song anymore I want someone to kill me because I would have become an awful person. I thoguht very long and hard about it and this will always be a part of me.

SaetonChapelle

May 11, 2010
I work as a psychologist (training). In doing so, I can't have any of my tattoo's being featured. Saying that, I do have multiple tattoos. I used to work in an ink shop and had not only multiple tattoos, but over 30+ piercings. This was when I was younger, and now that I'm trying to get into a professional business I must admit it can be difficult.

While in college I had only just removed much of my facial piercings, however I was still scarred (still am). I went to go teach an art class for some extra class on anatomy, and I was refused by my second interviewer being "she could see my piercings scars and my back tattoo from where my shirt wrinkled. It's unprofessional and not made for our business". Although I disagree (my ink and scars should not impede on my work ability) I was still turned away.

I adore my ink, and I love my piercings, however in the profession I'm in it's hard at times. I made sure to get all my ink where it's difficult to see, although I can't wear skirts to work anymore. A lot of people complain about how many jobs refuse you due to ink, and yes, I disagree with this statement, but at the same time I understand.

Remember to be responsible with your ink. As an ex piercer and tattooist, I have seen many people who are happy, and many more who regret. Be smart, and think about your future. Family, work, and friends.

Here's one in case anyone is curious!

Nokturos

Nov 17, 2009
I don't have any tattoos, and I never will.

As for whether I think differently of people with tattoos, it depends on the tattoos in question. People with big, immature drawings (skulls, fire, lighting, tits or the like) indelibly etched onto their skin will naturally elicit considerably less respect from me than someone without tattoos, or just someone with a more subtle, not so prominent one.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
I'd only get one if I designed and drew it myself, and I have a few ideas rattling around that I'd like to make come to life.

Only problem is, I draw like a five year old and have very little interest in learning to draw better. I suppose if I ever want a tattoo that badly that I want to start learning to draw then I know it's something worth getting.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
I don't have one and I don't think I will ever have one. I don't think I would be able to think of one I would be truely happy to have on me all the time.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
I am a fan of both tattoos and piercings, but have none myself. I've been thinking about a design I'd like to get for the past 10 years or so. Basically, the phases of the moon going in an arc across my upper back. Very simple design.

I'm more likely to have a lower opinion of someone who discriminates against someone for having tattoos/piercings. Seems like an incredibly superficial reason to pass judgement on someone in my opinion. The way a person treats others is the most important factor in forming opinions on someone else for me.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I have an owl done in a tribal style on my upper right arm. I quite like it (heck, I designed it myself so I should) and want to get more at some point.

Peresonally, I think tattoos are a great form of personal expression.. but that they need to be both personal and extremely well considered. This means you should think about what you really want for a long time before you get it, and you shouldn't just be picking Heart Tattoo A out of a book. Of course, if that tattoo really speaks to you then that's cool, but you should at least be leaving the shop to consider it a while.

Now, do tattoos have any impact on how I view others? Yeah, even though I have one of my own. Anything obviously gang or drug related will instantly drop you a huge number of points to me. Anything that appears to be obviously taken straight out of a tattoo book bothers me too but not nearly as much. It just makes me wonder why you got that instead of something else. Anything on your head, or face specifically, really makes me wonder.

Epitome

Jul 17, 2009
I love my tattoos. I've had five so far, though one was a cover up of a piss poorly done job.

I don't shove my tattoo's in anybody else's face, don't demand that anybody acknowledge that I'm some beautiful or unique snowflake or anything like that. I just love the look of them, the feel of getting one and the stories that spring up around em. Like I've a very small one, that I got on the same day as a lot of my other friends from secondary school. Now we've all parted ways and there is a whole bunch of bad blood, but it still makes me smile because there was a time we were all so close.

Tattoo's should be gotten for personal reasons, with a lot of forethought. If you're getting a tattoo on your face aged 18 as a rebellious statement, then yeah you need a slap before you make that call. For the most part I think that a well thought out tattoo is a thing of beauty and a poorly thought out one is no better than bad street art.

That's my am after the cover-up if anybody cares to see it :)

Jenvas1306

May 1, 2012
I do like my bf has no piercings or tattoos and I often wonder how much thought people put into what to get...
I myself could probably never make up my mind about what to get permanently onto my skin, I am bad with decissions anyways.
btw, everytime I state that I dont like bodymodifications much that seems to amuse people who know me well enough...

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
No tattoos.

No intention of getting tattoos.

If you want to, go ahead, some are pretty darn cool.

If you get something stupid, I'll laugh at you.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Like someone has already mentioned, Tattoos can get very tacky, very ugly, very quickly, and in some places generally also carry a negative stigma. They cal also convey a different meaning if you're not careful. IE: Barbed wire around your bicep generally means you're trying, (And completely and wholeheartedly failing) to look like a "badass." It really means you're just a tool.

With all of that out on the table, Tattoos can be very beautiful. I'm a sucker for good lookin' tattoos that really do convey a meaning to that person. With the right artist, the human body can be the perfect canvas. I have one. I'm very happy with it, and yes, It means to me as well. I've generally got a lot of people give me comments on the intricate line-work, and, well, some people have made fun of me for it, the jokes make me chuckle a little too.

I'll admit, I'm no expert, but if you're below the age of 21, wait to get your tattoo. I've seen a lot of people get tattoos in their 'teens and go to me to say "Fuck, I hate this thing on me. Why did I get it?" If you're planning on getting one, DO YOUR RESEARCH! Learn what an artist has to do, how they work, and schedule 2 or so sessions to flesh out what you want. It's worth the money if it means that much to you.

I'm going to read the thread now! :D