Let's talk about the Cowboy Bebop live action some more

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States

One of the most amusing things to me is Vicious. In the anime, I never really thought about his hair being dyed. He is too young to be all white. But in live action you can't not think about it. He twirls his sword, when he never ever made any wasteful motion with it in the anime. It wouldn't have been in character for him. He wasn't about having fun.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Well, it certainly references a lot of the anime. It'll be interesting to see how they end up adapting it because apparently its meant to be it's own thing and not a shot by shot remake.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Well, it certainly references a lot of the anime. It'll be interesting to see how they end up adapting it because apparently its meant to be it's own thing and not a shot by shot remake.
Some scenes appear to be as shot for shot as the Ghost in the Shell remake. I'm not saying the remake was 1:1, but some scenes were done so similarly that you couldn't help but compare, and because of the limitations of live action and the actress, those mental comparisons were mostly unfavorable. She wasn't a martial artist after all, and didn't have the physique of an athlete. I'd rather have original scenes.

Same goes for the music, actually. What was the point of hiring Yoko Kanno if you were just gonna have her conduct Tank! again. The opening wouldn't be so cheesy with its own music and its own visuals.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Wait, Ein gets an appearance, but not Ed?

Boo.

That aside, decent intro.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
In 1989 three teenagers released their shot-for-shot remake of Raiders of the Lost Ark they made on a budget of about $5000. It's an admirable piece of work but obviously not the version of the film you'd watch to actually experience Raiders of the Lost Ark.

This is that, but with money.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I dunno, I really don't like it when anime adaptations try to go 1 to 1. That intro was a little too much for me. I hope the rest of the show isn't too cheesy.
One area in which I wish they would have followed the anime more closely is Faye's outfit. Post is kind of long because I'm sort of rearranging an argument I had with someone elsewhere.

Anyone who thinks it would be too much clearly hasn't paid attention to how women dress now. Many of them leave their legs, midriffs, shoulders and cleavage exposed. Not in Faye's particular combination, but showing skin is hardly uncommon, and often pretty stylish even. I know the colors (yellow, red, purple) are there in the Netflix version, but Faye's outfit isn't just the color palette. There is sexuality to it too. It's not a ridiculous or unbelievable kind of sexuality, unless you maybe pick out crappier examples of animation (like the picture below, which I'm posting for a different reason). But it's there. It plays some small part in her character.

As I warned, the animation in the screenshot is bad. I only posted it to demonstrate how she uses her sexuality. Her shorts normally came down more and her torso was normally better shaped. She is off model. Below, I use Jupiter Jazz (Part 1) as an example. It had some of the best animation in the series. The characters had more shape and nicer shades.

With little adjustments for reality (like suspender connectors that aren't so cartoonish and maybe a collar that isn't quite so 1970s), those would be fine.

Besides, people's standards of decency will probably be considered dated in ten to fifteen years. Or try fifty years. (Actually, I wonder if they will move the setting to the 2090s, since we didn't make as much progress in 23 years as the original creators perhaps expected.) It's not like she would be the first person to be dressed strangely in a wacky future sci-fi setting. Look at Ruby Rhod or Lulu (the orange outfit) in The Fifth Element.

She would be no more ridiculous than humans living on Venus or the Jovian moons or the much more distant moons of Saturn or a prison as far as Pluto in just fifty years. Or flyer's licenses for space fighters being common in 2071. Or an engineered dog playing shogi or pointing out bounties through monitors or following their smells through an entire city. Or everybody but the military using guns that are a hundred to 160 years old.

Even without the future setting, she would look almost acceptable even today if some good fashion designer/tailor found the right kind of loose, flowing shiny material and cut the outfit according to the episodes that aren't animated so badly, while making any tasteful adjustments to reality. Clothes are fashioned from sketched concepts anyway.

It feels like they shamed the original Faye, by covering up almost all her skin (legs, stomach, shoulders, arms, cleavage), while keeping everyone else much more the same. They wouldn't have covered up so much skin if they just thought it would look ridiculous in live action. It's obvious they did it more because of today's overly sensitive culture.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Why is Spike asian? Isn't he clearly white in the anime? His name is Spiegel, it's a Jewish name. He's a white guy with a Jew-fro.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I dunno, I really don't like it when anime adaptations try to go 1 to 1. That intro was a little too much for me. I hope the rest of the show isn't too cheesy.
It certainly feels fucking weird. At face value it shouldn't bother me, but man did this one-to-one intro bother me. It at once feels too scared to deviate from something iconic and too lazy to try and establish its own identity as a live-action adaptation. I already saw Mad Pierrot and that one enviromental terrorist lady, so they seem to be sticking very close to the original. And this will only make it look like a pale imitation, since as this intro proves live-action (certainly at a TV budget) stylistically ain't got nothing on slick produced animation. Seriously, who thought it was a good idea to try and compete with the anime in terms of style?

And no, Faye looks fine (just speaking in general, not in response to the quote). Probably the best out of all three since they make her look distinct enough from her anime design. Both Spike and Jet look like they're wearing obvious costumes to make them look like anime characters, Faye's outfit feels a lot more natural and not like she's cosplaying.

Anyway, I doubt I have the constitution to sit through even 5 minutes of this thing.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Why is Spike asian? Isn't he clearly white in the anime? His name is Spiegel, it's a Jewish name. He's a white guy with a Jew-fro.
Just a guess, but maybe as a hommage to the real person Spike' look is based on? Yusaku Matsuda, or rather, the character he played in a tv show called Tantei Monogatari. Then again, John Cho doesn't look anything like that guy. Also, you know, Netflix casting and its oddities.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Ability over appearance? I don't know much about the actor, but that is all I can assume. Remember when they had Michael Clark Duncan play Kingpin in Dare Devil?
I just kinda assumed it was because Blacks English Voice actor was a black dude.

I mean, Faye's Live action Actor Is Hispanic and not Singaporean(?), and Spike's is Korean and not presumably Chinese(since he worked for a Triad).

IDK, I look at the casting for this and I don't see anything terribly concerning(and for the record I don't see a problem with LA Faye's outfit). I'm more worried about whether or not it's going to actually work in a Live action format.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan