Let's talk about the Cowboy Bebop live action some more

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Just a guess, but maybe as a hommage to the real person Spike' look is based on? Yusaku Matsuda, or rather, the character he played in a tv show called Tantei Monogatari. Then again, John Cho doesn't look anything like that guy. Also, you know, Netflix casting and its oddities.

Korean, Japanese, they all look the same to Netflix. To be serious, I don't think you can use that actor to claim Spike is Japanese. I'm not saying that's what you are doing, but other people have used the actor's photos to claim Spike is Japanese. Likewise, you can't claim Jet is Japanese only because he likes bonzai trees and plays shogi (which people have done). Those people and things are just what the creators knew.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Likewise, you can't claim Jet is Japanese only because he likes bonzai trees and plays shogi (which people have done).
Funny enough, the first time I heard of bonsai was the SOR1 intro. It's Adam's hobby. Due note that is a screenshot of the beta before the name change in the final version. All of their hobbies stayed the same.

1632691552746.jpeg

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Korean, Japanese, they all look the same to Netflix. To be serious, I don't think you can use that actor to claim Spike is Japanese. I'm not saying that's what you are doing, but other people have used the actor's photos to claim Spike is Japanese. Likewise, you can't claim Jet is Japanese only because he likes bonzai trees and plays shogi. Those people and things are just what the creators knew.
Well, if you must know, my take is that Spike is mixed, in keeping with the whole cultural melting pot thing the series has going. On the whole I find his race/ethnicity a quite unimportant aspect of the character tho. Whether John Cho has the right melanin count is of little concern to me, only whether he can do the job.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
So wait...are they just doing a straight adaptation? Because less than a minute in and we get what are clearly La Pieote (or however his name was spelled) and the eco-terrorists who had the monkey serum, on top of the intro just trying to do the same thing. *watches 10 more seconds* And what looks like the couple from the first episode are here too! *10 seconds later* And that shot from Ballad of Fallen Angels! Oh god, getting a real bad feeling from this now. *5 seconds later* Oh look, and the tower of screens...

I thought we were going to get new stories from the Bebop crew, not just see one of the best animated shows ever be done over as an inferior live action TV show...

Wait, Ein gets an appearance, but not Ed?

Boo.
To be fair, she is the last member of the crew to be picked up during episode 10 or so while Ein is the first (though, I was going to guess that she would be the "surprise" twist of the first season, but they are already teasing moments from well after she is apart of the Bebop, so I don't know).

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Regarding the topic of Ed, the showrunner did address it in this interview, though admittedly he didn't have much to say about the topic as all the said is "Ed, everybody wants to know about Ed!" and "People will be... very delighted when they watch the season", so it sounds like they'll be making an appearance in this first season, still a bit odd Ed's not in the intro though.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Well, the trailer definitely hits all the right beats, and Cowboy Bebop is one of my favorite anime shows. But since I'll be subscribing to Netflix right after I subscribe to the Sarin Gas of the Month Club (October is, of course, Pumpkin Spice Sarin), I guess I'll have to wait to hear how good this is.

La Pieote (or however his name was spelled)
Mad Pierrot (pierrot = French for "clown"). That episode was one of the weirder ones, and I'm kind of curious just how well they'll translate that to live-action.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Well, the trailer definitely hits all the right beats, and Cowboy Bebop is one of my favorite anime shows. But since I'll be subscribing to Netflix right after I subscribe to the Sarin Gas of the Month Club (October is, of course, Pumpkin Spice Sarin), I guess I'll have to wait to hear how good this is.

Mad Pierrot (pierrot = French for "clown"). That episode was one of the weirder ones, and I'm kind of curious just how well they'll translate that to live-action.
Small notes, Pierrot isn't french for "clown" (it's still clown, but pronounced differently, kinda like a mix between "cloud" and "clone") but Pierrot is a type of clown https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierrot

Somewhat surprised they're trying to do in live action, it's a fan favourite but that's going to be pretty hard to do between the acrobatic and the general weirdness of it.

I'm guessing they're not introducing Ed but will if it get renewed for a second season. I guess no Ed means no mushroom episode...

Reactions: The Rogue Wolf

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Small notes, Pierrot isn't french for "clown" (it's still clown, but pronounced differently, kinda like a mix between "cloud" and "clone") but Pierrot is a type of clown https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierrot

Somewhat surprised they're trying to do in live action, it's a fan favourite but that's going to be pretty hard to do between the acrobatic and the general weirdness of it.

I'm guessing they're not introducing Ed but will if it get renewed for a second season. I guess no Ed means no mushroom episode...
Yeah, its wierd. Basically it feels like the only reason to do a LA take on an animated show is to appeal to people who apparently just won't watch anything animated no matter how good it is.

Like why bother to do a LA Avatar the Last Airbender movie when there's a perfectly good series to watch(and that ended up being much worse then the show)?

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Like why bother to do a LA Avatar the Last Airbender movie when there's a perfectly good series to watch(and that ended up being much worse then the show)?
Just a reminder Mike and Bryan have nothing to do with the live-action series that is suppose to air in Netflix, and they do not like it. Even they felt doing so is pointless.

Now where's my live-action Outlaw Star and Trigun?????

Nah, not really.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Wait a second, the intro seems to reference the mushroom episode(with the Blaxploitation characters) and that episode is pretty much the Ed and Ein show so that would seem to indicate Ed has to be in the show.

They better not mess with my Mushroom Samba or so help me....

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Wait a second, the intro seems to reference the mushroom episode(with the Blaxploitation characters) and that episode is pretty much the Ed and Ein show so that would seem to indicate Ed has to be in the show.

Hummmmm, so one things being rattling at he back of my head and that's length difference the LA episode are supposed to be 1 hour (iirc) vs 30 min for the anime, so they'll have to either stretch the episode or awkwardly have two back to back, neither is a perfect solution. So I think maybe they'll try to merge two episodes together into one story, so maybe the mushroom sequence will still happen, just as part of another story (minus Ed).

As for the point of LA, I think it can be a nice way to re watch something having it feel fresh. Like I watched the ghost in the shell LA knowing 100% they were going to make it worse (which they did) but I pretty much just went so I could see them recreating some of the iconic shoot (which they did pretty well). Speaking of ghost in the shell, if anyone is in the state its on IMAX at the moment (not in Canada sadly 😢)

Anyway, I guess I'm looking forward to the LA, if for no other reason than Kanno involvement, hopping we get heavy metal space trucker episode.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States

I don't think that those (I think I know what characters you are talking about...) are the the Mushroom Samba characters: first guy looks more like he is Hakim from the Ein episode and the woman looks like she could be the store owner woman on Mars that helps Spike during Ballad.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
New trailer

I like it, it seems to be its own thing rather than a very faithful adaptation. Anime Bebop was always ridding the line between campy/B-movie and serious story, this seem to indicate they're going a bit more toward camp/witty banter.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Looks even worse now. Like they went even more camp because they knew they didn't have the talent to make something actually good. The whole thing just seems so cheaply done. Even the acting is poor.

All they had to do for Spike's fighting was study some Bruce Lee movies. But no, they have him doing silly backflip kicks with no sense of weight or power.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Looks even worse now. Like they went even more camp because they knew they didn't have the talent to make something actually good. The whole thing just seems so cheaply done. Even the acting is poor.
Yeah, the acting is just off in quality and timing. It feels like it's a first rehearsal or something, it feels more like reading lines vs being in character. And it does feel oddly cheap looking like what something looks at 60 fps when it should be 30/24 fps and I actually checked the "stats for nerds" and it says 24 fps. I really liked the comic panels concept that it had going on though.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
God, what the fuck was that trailer? I mean, it's not actual scenes from the show, but I was shocked at how cheap it looks and how bad the acting is. Spike's fake ass wig keeps distracting me too.

It's been a long time since I watched the anime, but I definitely don't remember the characters being this chatty. Nothing wrong with changing that for this version, but the dialogue was more annoying than witty banter. I hope they have better to offer than this for the actual show.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I dunno you guys, this looks fun as fuck.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I dunno you guys, this looks fun as fuck.
I'll give it a chance. They're clearly doing their own thing. I can see why they don't want to just do a straight up one to one adaption. And giving how infamous Bebop is at this point, I don't blame them and I completely understand. For right now and still, Alita is still the best live action adaption of an anime.