Let's talk about the Cowboy Bebop live action some more

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
The same applies for me. I wasn't talking about the money. My point was intent and my own personal enjoyment. And guess what? I don't consider Alita garbage. Nor the live action Japanese versions of death note. The Netflix version of the other hand....

Everything I listed I personally enjoyed. That's all that matters to me.
Yeah, that's the way to go. And we can agree on Netflix's Death Note... just awful. And I'm not a superfan of the original, but yikes that adaptation was terrible.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I always appreciate a Critic joke and I'm pretty sure those will endure forever long after everyone has forgotten the actual show.....which I'm pretty sure already happened because sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who watched that show when it was on.

Having not seen a single episode of this crap I like to think I played a small yet crucial part in its cancellation.
And your Avatar is Spike Spiegel to boot. You're (not) gonna carry that weight......

Seriously, I've been watching the Anime just to remind myself how good the show was and it still holds up. Each episode does more with 22 minutes when the LA version did with an hour. The only ones that feel like they drag are the Jupiter Jazz eps and I'm pretty sure that's intentional, especially considering the Sad Saxophone that permeates those two(and how everyone is depressed).

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I always appreciate a Critic joke and I'm pretty sure those will endure forever long after everyone has forgotten the actual show.....which I'm pretty sure already happened because sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who watched that show when it was on.
You are never the only one. I admit that I didn't always understand every single joke when the show first premiered. I was 5 years old at the time when it started. As I got older and caught more of the reruns that appeared, I was able to understand it by the time I was about in my preteens and mid teens.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Netflix: Time to blow this scene.

Eh, they could have salvaged something, I think.
I don't think the LA version was inherently awful, but the execution was poorly handled on almost every level. It felt like the uncanny valley in a way because it was just close enough to feel off and somehow wrong without any of the benefits of being that close to the source material.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Seriously, I've been watching the Anime just to remind myself how good the show was and it still holds up. Each episode does more with 22 minutes when the LA version did with an hour. The only ones that feel like they drag are the Jupiter Jazz eps and I'm pretty sure that's intentional, especially considering the Sad Saxophone that permeates those two(and how everyone is depressed).
Jupiter Jazz was about how there's nothing left for Spike back in his old life, its in a former mining colony that past its glory day and everything is drap and depressing. Wouldn't have carried any weight if it had been action shlock.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Was anybody expecting more than a single season? I wasn't.
I was. I thought Netflix would consider this a bigger deal. In the past when they'd setup to do these kinds of things they usually plan at least 2 seasons so they can cover the material. I doubt it'll hurt their margins, but I can see Netflix putting people off on this one. It would be one thing if this were some experimental deal where they were just testing to see if anyone would want to see a show like Black Summer for instance, but this is Bebop. This is arguably a bigger deal than adapting pretty much anything else out there. I have to guess they got a measurable amount of signups for this alone.

I think its a big miss for Netflix especially after Jupiters Legacy which pathetically was like a 5 issue comic and they couldn't even manage that. I think they fucked up bad, I wouldve have considered coming back and finishing it if they righted the ship or even if they at least completed out the story. This show was perfect for a netflix adaptation because its so short. Easily could have knocked it out in 2 seasons which is supposed to be the goal post.

Id have to look it up, but I wanna say netflix came under new production management a couple years back I suspect this new "fuck it, canceled" attitude is new management. Before they'd have shows going dormant for 2 or 3 years before wrapping up the last season.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
This whole fiasco has me wondering what horrors await us in the One Piece adaptation. Cowboy Bebop feels like it would be a hundred times easier to adapt to live action than One Piece.
While I never read or watched One Piece, so I don’t know the exact tone of the source material, I predict that Netflix will make a bargain basement, barely better than public access TV imitation of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies with at least one hackneyed, godawful attempt at a Jack Sparrow character.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I watched the show about 5 years ago and liked it a lot. Well, the first season anyway. The show went downhill once they started pulling their punches and made the main character more 'relatable' and not such a fat loser.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Feel sad for this actress playing Ed. I can't imagine what the 'right' way to play her live would be as she's a ridiculously over-the-top cartoon character.
I sure hope people aren't being mean, repulsive pieces of shit towards her because of it...

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Feel sad for this actress playing Ed. I can't imagine what the 'right' way to play her live would be as she's a ridiculously over-the-top cartoon character.
I sure hope people aren't being mean, repulsive pieces of shit towards her because of it...
I'm not blaming the actors for any of the shows problems. Going for cartoony acting was obviously a directorial decision. I thought most of the cast could have done an alright job with better material and better direction. I didn't really hate any of the casting decisions.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
That was my first reaction after seeing the YouTube outtake of her.

That was painful. I feel bad for the actress. Gonna be more hated than Jake Lloyd by the fans.

They should have warned her to drop any ambitions she had for a career in acting. People are gonna blame her rather than the clueless filmmakers.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
That was my first reaction after seeing the YouTube outtake of her.

They should have warned her to drop any ambitions she had for a career in acting. People are gonna blame her rather than the clueless filmmakers.
Accurate to the original though.

It's just a reverse uncanny-valley. We accept that in a cartoon character, not a live person.