Let's talk about the games that don't use mysogynistic, transphobic or racist tropes.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Vibhor said:
I think he is more concerned about the hypocrisy of hypersensitive people using equality as an excuse to their behavior.
The characters which hate certain types of characters are nothing new in Turn Based Tactics games. It shouldn't go anywhere either, it helps giving character depth beyond their skill set. Jagged Alliance 2 is amazing in this aspect.
Pretty much.

Any character that "Hates women" is usually portrayed as deranged or has some sort of event in which they suddenly and dramatically change their mind.

Any character that "Hates men" never has this mentality challenged and is usually the "Strong and independent" type.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Vibhor said:
erttheking said:
Considering that Valkyria Chronicles is just plain shit and is a cutesy wutesy game that tries to cover the HOLOCAUST I got bigger fish to fry with that game. Anyway, my friend and I decided anyone who had a "Hates x" trait could fuck right off because they would actively bring the unit down, and I don't see how other people would think differently.

Oh yeah, and they had that "Likes men" guy who was a camp gay stereotype.
I think he is more concerned about the hypocrisy of hypersensitive people using equality as an excuse to their behavior.
The characters which hate certain types of characters are nothing new in Turn Based Tactics games. It shouldn't go anywhere either, it helps giving character depth beyond their skill set. Jagged Alliance 2 is amazing in this aspect.
That would only work if players found her actions acceptable. I didn't, but men for the most part got a pretty fair shake in that game, so I wasn't that bothered by it. Heck, because of that I permanently slotted her under "Never use ever"

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
The Lunatic said:
Vibhor said:
Pretty much.

Any character that "Hates women" is usually portrayed as deranged or has some sort of event in which they suddenly and dramatically change their mind.

Any character that "Hates men" never has this mentality challenged and is usually the "Strong and independent" type.
Two words for you. Bitter Virgin. It is most certainly portrayed as a problem there.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Bolo The Great said:
Pretty much all of them. No seriously i don't think there are many games you could put into those categories or that are genuinely hateful. There are a section of people you can NEVER be to politically correct for, they will always push for more self-censorship.

I say let people create what they want to create; coming at games with an agenda like this is toxic and destructive. If Games are truly going to be considered an 'art' then they need to be completely free from the censorship of ideas. Ideas by themselves are never dangerous and should never be censored.

That's what these people ultimately want; they want gaming to mold to their personal sense of what should and shouldn't be allowed to be made. We need MORE ideas not less. You can't make gaming better by doing it at the expense of a whole range of people.
I feel like there's a bit of a misconception going on. I doubt most people who say sexist or racist stuff do so out of hatred. They do it out of ignorance or by accident. So yeah, they're not bad people, but they still deserve to be called out for it. I seriously doubt Metro Last Light meant to be sexist, I feel like the bungling of Anna's character from hardened soldier into someone for the main character to screw was the result of hatred, but because the writers didn't know what they were doing. I'm still gonna call them out for it.

Look, yes, let people create what they want, but you can't just hold back criticism. H.P. Lovecraft may be a brilliant cosmic horror writer, but that doesn't make the fact that he was racist and it commonly bled into his writing. No one is calling for censorship. No one ever does that. Just criticism, and criticism is not something to be feared. Heck, silencing criticism, THAT would be censorship.

That's simply not true. I want people who can do more. Constantly forcing women into stereotypes limits ideas, it doesn't free them. I'm ok with female prostitutes, love interests and domestic characters. But I want to see them in roles beyond those, I feel it would've made Metro Last Light richer if it hadn't delved into those stereotypes, and had them be it's sole female representation. Heck, I would've liked the game if it had explored women's role in a post apocalyptic society, but as it stands it just didn't focus on any women. Heck, I want to see more men in support roles, Magic Mike was an interesting movie because it showed a man in an untraditional role as a stripper. I want more stuff like that, to get out of our comfort zone. We can still go back to the comfort zone, but we need to do something different every once in awhile.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Bolo The Great said:
erttheking said:
Bolo The Great said:
Pretty much all of them. No seriously i don't think there are many games you could put into those categories or that are genuinely hateful. There are a section of people you can NEVER be to politically correct for, they will always push for more self-censorship.

I say let people create what they want to create; coming at games with an agenda like this is toxic and destructive. If Games are truly going to be considered an 'art' then they need to be completely free from the censorship of ideas. Ideas by themselves are never dangerous and should never be censored.

That's what these people ultimately want; they want gaming to mold to their personal sense of what should and shouldn't be allowed to be made. We need MORE ideas not less. You can't make gaming better by doing it at the expense of a whole range of people.
I feel like there's a bit of a misconception going on. I doubt most people who say sexist or racist stuff do so out of hatred. They do it out of ignorance or by accident. So yeah, they're not bad people, but they still deserve to be called out for it. I seriously doubt Metro Last Light meant to be sexist, I feel like the bungling of Anna's character from hardened soldier into someone for the main character to screw was the result of hatred, but because the writers didn't know what they were doing. I'm still gonna call them out for it.

Look, yes, let people create what they want, but you can't just hold back criticism. H.P. Lovecraft may be a brilliant cosmic horror writer, but that doesn't make the fact that he was racist and it commonly bled into his writing. No one is calling for censorship. No one ever does that. Just criticism, and criticism is not something to be feared. Heck, silencing criticism, THAT would be censorship.

That's simply not true. I want people who can do more. Constantly forcing women into stereotypes limits ideas, it doesn't free them. I'm ok with female prostitutes, love interests and domestic characters. But I want to see them in roles beyond those, I feel it would've made Metro Last Light richer if it hadn't delved into those stereotypes, and had them be it's sole female representation. Heck, I would've liked the game if it had explored women's role in a post apocalyptic society, but as it stands it just didn't focus on any women. Heck, I want to see more men in support roles, Magic Mike was an interesting movie because it showed a man in an untraditional role as a stripper. I want more stuff like that, to get out of our comfort zone. We can still go back to the comfort zone, but we need to do something different every once in awhile.
I think people who want to cover the topics of race, sex and identity are afraid of a wave of backlash calling them bigots and awful people. I feel there is a danger of people pulling punches and pandering to a very vocal crowd of people.

It neuters what people feel comfortable doing, especially when finance is at stake.
I'm not gonna lie, I have no idea where you get that idea. All I can say is that I violently disagree, and I just want to see some fresh new perspectives instead of the old boring ones we've been seeing over and over again.

I have to say, I'm really tired of finances deciding what games get made. It's what caused the current bloated state of the AAA industry. While money should be a factor, it shouldn't be the be all end all that it is.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
I sometimes get the feeling that people make this threads just to get a popular thread.

I find Terraria to be pretty inclusive. You can make your character both male and female, you can choose pretty much every skin colour possible (unless you want your skin colour to be Ultra Violet or Infra-red, which in that case you can fuck off to Legoland then) and since sexuality and gender is never an issue in the game you can choose to play your character however you want! Isn't it grand?

Stats ^1

Aug 28, 2014
TheKasp said:
Stats ^1 said:
Games which aren't transphobic, racist or sexist?
This was not the question. Reread the thread title please.

Edit: Faszinating how many people seem to have difficulty with this whole thing. Also funny that many of the same people seem to hold the idea that criticism of a work is 'shaming the creator'.
There's no difficulty understanding anything. In fact, it's you who's wrong in your views.

Also, criticism is stating "these mechanics are flawed" or "this part of the game isn't fun". Saying "you've designed this game to be offensive" is the same as labeling the creator as a racist or misogynist.

angryscotsman93

Dec 27, 2008
Vibhor said:
grassgremlin said:
If I may interject. I think he's kind of right. Sure, some women don't mind it, but I'm pretty sure most would find the idea very unsettling. Think of it as if the role was reversed. Would you be willing to walk around as a half naked man.

I'm not talking Kratos Half-naked, I'm talking Kars of the piller-men half naked. Are you secure in your sexuality to play a character like that? Kars is one example. To add, say the game was similar to the anime series "Free!" (Might have to look it up if you never heard of it before.)

I thought a lot about this because, my brother refused to play Jojo's Bizarre Adventure All Star Battle, because in his words, "it is too gay." To add, Jojo has a large female following.
Considering I love Jojo and I don't let superficial things like appearance affect my taste, I wouldn't actually mind running around as a half naked man. In fact, male front nudity is becoming more and more accepted in video games whereas female nudity is the one which causes outcries of sexism. The whole power fantasy argument is complete bullshit that plays right into specified gender stereotypes.
Also, Battle Tendency was aimed at young males(shonen) so if anything your brother is the exception, not the norm.
You know, not too long ago, I was hanging out with a buddy of mine (he's gay, I'm not- that's mildly relevant) and we were talking about games and the webcomic Oglaf (you know, the one that's a sort of sex comedy in a medieval world, which involves all genders and orientations). One of the games we were discussing was DoA, and how inconceivably over-sexualized it is (jiggle physics, anyone?). So, we both thought about how there's never really been a mainstream male equivalent to what I will now dub a "titty brawler," and then we looked at the Kronar, Son of Man bit from Oglaf, and an idea struck. We should make the world's very first sexually charged brawler that is meant to appeal specifically to women and gay men!

The entire idea was that all the characters would be either stereotypical manly-man barbarians with huge muscles and bear fur banana hammocks or some crap, as well as some bishounen pretty-boys (can't leave out people who're fans of that), and perhaps a few women, just so people wouldn't accuse us of being misogynistic. In other words, we'd take all the different sexual preferences that can be found for women and gay men, and make a game where people who fit those appearances would be fighting each other in as hyper-sexualized a manner as possible. Just to really make the joke obvious, we were going to tout the game's "realistic groin physics"- you know, just in case anyone looking at it was feeling particularly dense. In the end, we both decided it was a brilliant idea that should be implemented as soon as possible.

Too bad neither of us know jack about game development.

Jack Action

Not a premium member.
Sep 6, 2014
Hostile Waters. The reasoning being that everyone involved is too busy being a complete asshole (or whining that the guns you gave them suck) to be sexist.

Harpalyce

Social Justice Cleric
Mar 1, 2012
To bravely go back to the original topic of the thread:

Honestly, right now the only one that truly strikes me is Fallen London. Yes, it's a browsery card game... thing, but it's actually really good in a large percent of tropes. With that said, it does fall down every so often, but it usually does so with a begrudging sigh and "yes, we're trying to be Victoriana. I know, I know. This is awful. Let's move on shall we" air, so that at least makes things more palatable.

I was really impressed recently with Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, right until it ran facefirst into a big wall labeled YELLOW PANIC. Yes, okay, we get it, asian people are scary, please stop nattering on about it video game...

To be honest the amount of RPGs/games with customization that come out clean is truly depressing. That's likely the hidden point of the thread. But hey, media is problematic, bears shit in woods, pope is catholic, tune in for more breaking news at 11 blah blah blah.

Harpalyce

Social Justice Cleric
Mar 1, 2012
T_ID said:
Harpalyce said:
I was really impressed recently with Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, right until it ran facefirst into a big wall labeled YELLOW PANIC. Yes, okay, we get it, asian people are scary, please stop nattering on about it video game...
What do you mean with that? The game doesn't say anywhere that asians are scary.
That's pretty much the game gives you as to why the Kuei-Jin are scary. Because they're Asian. (I think the blurb may have actually said "oriental" which is a bit gross in and of itself - oriental is the word used for objects, not people, since we're out of the reign of King Edward and all.) And therefore mysterious because nobody knows what they're about because ASIAN OOGABOOGABOO. I can try to dig up the exact loading screen with said blurb on it if you'd like but I'm not entirely sure I got a screenshot of it.

But I have this odd feeling that whatever I do you're going to shoot back with how I'm wrong so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯