Let's talk E3!

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Every year on the Escapist we have a thread where we can talk about the press conferences (sometimes we're lucky enough to do it in real time!)

This year Twitch is streaming them all on their channel

If you're lucky enough to catch the shows live, or are watching them after the fact: let's talk E3!

[HEADING=1]Main Event Schedule[/HEADING]

[HEADING=2]Monday 6/9[/HEADING]

9:30am PDT - Xbox E3 2014 Media Briefing
11:00am PDT ? Xbox E3 2014 Media Briefing Post show

12:00pm PDT ? EA World Premiere: E3 2014 Preview
2:00pm PDT - EA World Premiere: E3 2014 Post show

3:00pm PDT - Ubisoft 2014 E3 Media Briefing
4:00pm PDT ? Ubisoft 2014 E3 Media Briefing Post show

6:00pm PDT - PlayStation E3 2014 Press Conference

[HEADING=2]Tuesday 6/10[/HEADING]

9:00am PDT - Nintendo Digital Event

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
In terms of the Forza 5 announcement, I've come to really appreciate the Sony Drive Club guy. He was too passionate about cars, but it's better than just being boring.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Ok, so, what I've seen and thought so far:

I saw Conker's and was excited, then sad...
Tomb Raider trailer looks rad.
Witcher 3 gameplay looks nice, not massively exciting though.

croc3629

Mar 20, 2011
The XBox briefing somehow left me feeling rather empty.

I think I've gotten to a point in my life where I need actual gameplay to get really excited for anything.

I guess its just supposed to be a general teaser for the console, but I wasn't excited by much outside the Witcher.

Would like to see what's done with Crackdown though.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
croc3629 said:
The XBox briefing somehow left me feeling rather empty.

I think I've gotten to a point in my life where I need actual gameplay to get really excited for anything.

I guess its just supposed to be a general teaser for the console, but I wasn't excited by much outside the Witcher.

Would like to see what's done with Crackdown though.
I'd like real gameplay too. Even the "actual" gameplay of, say, the Division was obviously fake. Plus it's Ubisoft.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Now, I know some people are going to say that I'm being to harsh, or I'm not the kind of guy who plays Xbox stuff, but I had the Original Xbox and XBox 360, both of those where fun to me. So far, the XBone hasn't given me one reason to play it. Even my WiiU has a few games that I'm still playing! So, I was hoping this E3 Presentation would give me a reason to play it.

... Unfortunately, there was literally nothing. Nothing, I wanted to play on the XBone. On top of that, using Conker for what's supposed to be Microsoft's "Kid" game, is very misused, and kind of makes me a little mad. Oh sure, Witcher 3 looked nice, but it looks like Elder Scrolls to me, which I haven't even finished yet. All those shooters looked Generic. I'm not a fan of Monster Hunter, so "Scale Rider" or whatever that was called doesn't appeal to me. I will get the Halo Collection, but that's about it.

Microsoft needs to diversify...

Shinsei-J

Apr 28, 2011
Weaver said:
I'd like real gameplay too. Even the "actual" gameplay of, say, the Division was obviously fake. Plus it's Ubisoft.
Thinking the exact same thing as I watched it.
No one moves their camera that fluidly damn it!

I'm also a little suspicious about the Witcher gameplay, it switched from "gameplay" to prerendered trailer seemlessly making me doubt the who gameplay part of it.

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
That was honestly incredibly boring. The games just didn't do it for me, and there wasn't even any massive mistakes to make fun of. Really hope there's some improvements in the later conferences besides CGI cutscences and revenge of the CGI cuscenes: More scripted shit.
Though I will admit that the Witcher 3 at least looked interesting enough to make me want to think about getting Witcher 2 on the next steam sale [sub]once I have money.[/sub]

croc3629

Mar 20, 2011
Mr.Mattress said:
Now, I know some people are going to say that I'm being to harsh, or I'm not the kind of guy who plays Xbox stuff, but I had the Original Xbox and XBox 360, both of those where fun to me. So far, the XBone hasn't given me one reason to play it. Even my WiiU has a few games that I'm still playing! So, I was hoping this E3 Presentation would give me a reason to play it.

... Unfortunately, there was literally nothing. Nothing, I wanted to play on the XBone. On top of that, using Conker for what's supposed to be Microsoft's "Kid" game, is very misused, and kind of makes me a little mad. Oh sure, Witcher 3 looked nice, but it looks like Elder Scrolls to me, which I haven't even finished yet. All those shooters looked Generic. I'm not a fan of Monster Hunter, so "Scale Rider" or whatever that was called doesn't appeal to me. I will get the Halo Collection, but that's about it.

Microsoft needs to diversify...
This really is Microsoft trying to diversify though. Its unfortunate, even after that nonsense with the XBox, I bare them no ill will. But this was just a bunch of nothing

Everything I would even be halfway interested in? Straight to the PC, and no turning back.

At least last year there was some stuff to laugh at.

Shinsei-J

Apr 28, 2011
Mr.Mattress said:
Same boat as you for the most part.
Only thing I want to play on the Xbone is the old Halo games for conveniences sake.

also Conker's T_T

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
karma9308 said:
That was honestly incredibly boring. The games just didn't do it for me, and there wasn't even any massive mistakes to make fun of. Really hope there's some improvements in the later conferences besides CGI cutscences and revenge of the CGI cuscenes: More scripted shit.
Though I will admit that the Witcher 3 at least looked interesting enough to make me want to think about getting Witcher 2 on the next steam sale [sub]once I have money.[/sub]
This and after Watch Dogs I just can't trust Ubisoft's game-play footage any more. Especially when the people "playing" The Division sounded incredibly scripted. I must admit the pacing was amazing though, barely any talking and trailer after trailer.

croc3629

Mar 20, 2011
Weaver said:
I don't even want to remember that horrible dialogue.

I never thought hearing somebody talking about grabbing aggro would be so bothersome.

Also, "Hi, Chris!"

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Honestly, I thought it was fucking excellent. Started off slow with COD (although it did mean they got it out of the way), but then I loved a lot of it after that. Particularly Scalebound (Platinum HYPE!), Phantom Dust and Crackdown 3.

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
If Twitch isn't working for anyone else, here's a link to gamespot's stream of EA's presser.

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/ea-press-conference-2014/

Gametrailer's also got running a stream if anyone is having trouble with either of those.

EDIT: GET HYPE
https://twitter.com/GambleMike/status/476064592821772289

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Dismemberment and insanity seemed to be a running theme for Microsoft's press conference.

They did a whole lot better this year. Was happy to see the Klobb show up, but was sad that he didn't reveal anything Perfect Dark related.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I really wished they showed gameplay for any new game announced for us to get a clear idea of what it is about (from the Crackdown trailer it seems like destructive enviorments are an important thing but its something I doubt this generation will be able to handle so no clear idea of what they wanted us to feel about other then "Hey, new Crackdown")

But either way, it was all games and even some had gameplay like Inside or Ori so I cant call what Microsoft did at E3 as being poor since I am actually interested in most of what they shown

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
I'm expecting Andrew Wilson to come out and tie a woman to railroad tracks while snickering.

All the feels?

fhmy

Aug 2, 2010
Rise of the Tomb Raider? Not Lightning Returns levels of bad, but that title is terrible. Sticking the name of your franchise in the latter half of the title after a generic sounding first half probably isn't a good move, I'd say.

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
They finally showed some gameplay for Dragon Age...about fucking time, though it woulda been nice to see more than just a fight against a dragon...and on that note: I hope they don't go overboard with dragons...

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
Did they show anything on mass effect? My stream literally crashed when the mass effect music started.

Sims 4: Get Hype for emotions!