Lets Talk The Big 3 (Anime shows)

Jhonie

Oct 24, 2011
Gods, I haven't watched the Anime of these three in ages. Not even One Piece, which is my personal favourite, so forgive me if I sound misinformed, but my opinion stands based on the Manga.

Bleach lost my loyalty as well as interest a long while back. The beginning was good, and the Soul Society arc was excellent, but after that, I couldn't help but feel that the story lost both momentum and character. Ichigo lost the spark that made me like him at first, and from what I've seen lately, that troublemaker spark is completely gone by now, and the story has become what a story never should become: anonymous. The manga would have ended two arcs ago, if not for the fans' whining as well as pure milking. The quality of the story has only lowered since the Soul Society arc, which made me stop reading it altogether.
Bottom line, I find that Bleach lost its soul a long time ago. I stopped reading after the Hueco Mundo arc, so I can't say I have much of a developed opinion on Bleach compared to the other two :/

Naruto does still however hold my loyalty somewhat, if only because it seems that the light at the end of the tunnel finally seems visible. Kishimoto has, in all honesty, caused a big-ass mess with his story. There are much too many holes in the logic as well as the plot tor me to properly stomach, and it prevents me from fully enjoying the series. It would seem Kihimoto just has too many ideas in the air at once, but can't hold onto half of them. Then he seems to change some details halfway through. Want an example? Why, take the Shukaku for one. Originally, he was said to be a sand priest that had absorbed the soul of a demon, or something along those lines. Now look where that went.
But what pisses me off even more is that when a character, and Naruto himself in particular, finally seems to have developed a little, that progress is stomped out two chapters later. Kishimoto is much too afraid to disrupt the status quo, and the relationships between characters remains much too static to be realistic in any way. It bores me, honestly. The fights are much better done, but the power scaling is much too erratic. One character seems incredibly strong one arc, but a simple scrub the next. People who would seem to have been nerfed immensely in comparison to the main characters from sheer story progression seems to somehow still pose a significant threat, despite how they by all that is logic should be classed as scrubs by then. Really, don't make the boss from the second real arc into a big-ass boss in the last one. It just doesn't make any sense.
In short, I just want Kishimoto to make his damn mind up. Linear progression, Kishimoto, this is a Manga series, not an Elder Scrolls game.

One Piece on the other hand, does what the other two does not and does it brilliantly. It sets a clear goal from the start: Raftel, (the last island on the Grand Line and the most probable location of the One Piece, which is the treasure they're looking for,) and hasn't strayed since. The story of One Piece tells us about their journey there, simple as that. The longer the characters travel, the more people they meet, the more they discover, and the more intricate the story as well as the world around them becomes. Yet despite this intricacy, Oda never EVER loses track of any one thread, of any one detail. Something mentioned briefly book thirteen might become a major plot point, thirty books later. And no, I'm not exaggerating. That actually happened.
Oda isn't afraid to be outrageous and/or over-the-top. He writes his story with enough self distance for me to take it just seriously enough to appreciate the humour, yet allow me to still be deeply invested in the story. In all honesty, One Piece is as I see it the only one of the big three that hasn't lost track of its original genre, its characters or its soul.
Perhaps most impotantly of all, the characters that we have followed from book one still are the same. They have matured, and learned more of the world, yes, but Luffy is still the same outgoing, spontaneous, ever hungry, adventure-loving Luffy I've followed so long. Zoro is still the lazy, amazingly loyal oaf he's always been. Nami is still a money-hoarding, violent control freak, and so on. The core of the characters are still very much the same, where this core seems to have warped and/or faded in the case of Naruto and Bleach. A story is about the characters, not the other way around, and Oda remembers that. It shows.
It's really a pity that so many judges One Piece for its cartoonish artstyle. The Manga series is and has been the best selling Manga series in Japan for around a decade and as far as I know, still hasn't seen any decline. It's really a beautiful and surprisingly deep story, if one only takes the time to look beyond the decievingly simplistic surface. ;)

But then again, I don't read a Manga series for the fights. When I read, I do it for the characters and the story, which is likely why One Piece fits me so much better than the others. Yet in the end, it's all a matter of taste.

Ironbat92

Nov 19, 2009
I frist saw Naruto. I liked it at first, but I slowly started to dislike it. Don't know why, i just was that impressed. I use to really like One Piece, but after the whole are with the Dessert Kingdom, I just got tired of it. Finally, I never got into Bleach. I liked how it started, I.E, the first episode. But, after that, I don't know, I just wasn't into it. So, I just don't like them. I respect them, but I don't like them.

Rickolas Walrus

Mar 2, 2012
I've seen a few episodes of Bleach, and from what I've seen I'm really interested in it. It's on my list of stuff to watch, but first I have to get caught up on One Piece, then I'll probably watch a shorter anime before I begin Bleach (I'm thinking either Another or Le Chevalier D'Eon)

I didn't think I'd like One Piece as much as I do, and in the beginning I wasn't really feeling it but once they met Usopp I really got into it and I intend to get caught up on the 600+ episodes asap (episode 294 is loading in another tab as I type this), and it's pretty much the same story for Naruto, though I gotta say Shippuden is at least twice as good as the original

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Jhonie said:
Gods, I haven't watched the Anime of these three in ages. Not even One Piece, which is my personal favourite, so forgive me if I sound misinformed, but my opinion stands based on the Manga.

Bleach lost my loyalty as well as interest a long while back. The beginning was good, and the Soul Society arc was excellent, but after that, I couldn't help but feel that the story lost both momentum and character. Ichigo lost the spark that made me like him at first, and from what I've seen lately, that troublemaker spark is completely gone by now, and the story has become what a story never should become: anonymous. The manga would have ended two arcs ago, if not for the fans' whining as well as pure milking. The quality of the story has only lowered since the Soul Society arc, which made me stop reading it altogether.
Bottom line, I find that Bleach lost its soul a long time ago. I stopped reading after the Hueco Mundo arc, so I can't say I have much of a developed opinion on Bleach compared to the other two :/

Naruto does still however hold my loyalty somewhat, if only because it seems that the light at the end of the tunnel finally seems visible. Kishimoto has, in all honesty, caused a big-ass mess with his story. There are much too many holes in the logic as well as the plot tor me to properly stomach, and it prevents me from fully enjoying the series. It would seem Kihimoto just has too many ideas in the air at once, but can't hold onto half of them. Then he seems to change some details halfway through. Want an example? Why, take the Shukaku for one. Originally, he was said to be a sand priest that had absorbed the soul of a demon, or something along those lines. Now look where that went.
But what pisses me off even more is that when a character, and Naruto himself in particular, finally seems to have developed a little, that progress is stomped out two chapters later. Kishimoto is much too afraid to disrupt the status quo, and the relationships between characters remains much too static to be realistic in any way. It bores me, honestly. The fights are much better done, but the power scaling is much too erratic. One character seems incredibly strong one arc, but a simple scrub the next. People who would seem to have been nerfed immensely in comparison to the main characters from sheer story progression seems to somehow still pose a significant threat, despite how they by all that is logic should be classed as scrubs by then. Really, don't make the boss from the second real arc into a big-ass boss in the last one. It just doesn't make any sense.
In short, I just want Kishimoto to make his damn mind up. Linear progression, Kishimoto, this is a Manga series, not an Elder Scrolls game.

One Piece on the other hand, does what the other two does not and does it brilliantly. It sets a clear goal from the start: Raftel, (the last island on the Grand Line and the most probable location of the One Piece, which is the treasure they're looking for,) and hasn't strayed since. The story of One Piece tells us about their journey there, simple as that. The longer the characters travel, the more people they meet, the more they discover, and the more intricate the story as well as the world around them becomes. Yet despite this intricacy, Oda never EVER loses track of any one thread, of any one detail. Something mentioned briefly book thirteen might become a major plot point, thirty books later. And no, I'm not exaggerating. That actually happened.
Oda isn't afraid to be outrageous and/or over-the-top. He writes his story with enough self distance for me to take it just seriously enough to appreciate the humour, yet allow me to still be deeply invested in the story. In all honesty, One Piece is as I see it the only one of the big three that hasn't lost track of its original genre, its characters or its soul.
Perhaps most impotantly of all, the characters that we have followed from book one still are the same. They have matured, and learned more of the world, yes, but Luffy is still the same outgoing, spontaneous, ever hungry, adventure-loving Luffy I've followed so long. Zoro is still the lazy, amazingly loyal oaf he's always been. Nami is still a money-hoarding, violent control freak, and so on. The core of the characters are still very much the same, where this core seems to have warped and/or faded in the case of Naruto and Bleach. A story is about the characters, not the other way around, and Oda remembers that. It shows.
It's really a pity that so many judges One Piece for its cartoonish artstyle. The Manga series is and has been the best selling Manga series in Japan for around a decade and as far as I know, still hasn't seen any decline. It's really a beautiful and surprisingly deep story, if one only takes the time to look beyond the decievingly simplistic surface. ;)

But then again, I don't read a Manga series for the fights. When I read, I do it for the characters and the story, which is likely why One Piece fits me so much better than the others. Yet in the end, it's all a matter of taste.
I didn't want to write it all out but you hit my opinion on all the shows point by point on the head. Except that maybe Bleach is worse for continuity than Naruto. I remember in the soul society arc the talk about how the ken dude is the strongest only to go on and say he is the weakest of the captains or how people when they die can't die again and don't need water or anything but proceed to show children starving to death a arc or two later. The whole thing makes no sense. But ya other than that spot on analysis.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Well, since you asked.

Bleach
When I first saw the anime it blew me away. I loved the concept and was really interested in Ichigo's power, the fights were pretty great, and the lore was interesting. I will admit that the lore isn't breaking any new grounds, but it was well executed. The show was great for a long time.

Then, the filler happened. And kept happening. And happened even more. At this point, I don't watch the anime at all. I would skip all the filler and only watch the actual plot relevant stuff, but eventually even that had stupid bits of filler in it. Why was there a episode with Ichigo dreaming of the Arabian Nights in the middle of the Hueco Muendo arc? Why?

Now, I just read the manga. Admittedly ONLY because I wanna know the story behind Ichigo's father and such. Ichigo himself is now pretty Sueish. Seriously, he's part everything and after getting his Soul Reaper powers back, he trashed a arc's main villain with hardly an effort. Do I consider it good? No. Not at all.

Naruto
I think the first episodes I saw were them fighting Zabuza. That hooked me pretty fast. But honestly, Filler Hell killed the anime for me. So many episodes were just pointless filler that made Naruto look far more incompetent than he actually is.

Once more, I just read the manga, now. And I think it's actually pretty decent. As long as it doesn't pull the same thing Bleach did with Ichigo fighting Aizen, I'll be happy. And signs point to the series ending after the current plotline. I really can't see how they could continue after this.

One Piece
I want to like it. But, I seriously can't. Luffy's whole "I'm a pirate" thing just pissed me off. Anyone can see that he isn't a pirate. And the citizens frankly fear pirates, but he keeps fighting other pirates while stating that he is one.

Yes, I know about how bad the Marines are later shown to be. But I still couldn't get past him saying that he was a pirate, while constantly fighting pirates. Even when it meant getting kicked out of towns. It was annoying to me.

And that's a shame. I've seen some pretty decent looking clips, scenes, and even episodes. Still that one mental block prevents me from enjoying it.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I've never watched any of them, but the sheer amount of episodes just put me off. No matter how good a show may be, it needs an end, and if it doesn't have that then it just drags on and no matter how many episodes you watch you'll never get the complete story and it just wont be satisfying.

Id rather have 60 episodes of a good story with a definitive end, rather than 600 episodes of an ongoing plot with 80% of the episodes being filler.

Supdupadog

Feb 23, 2010
Power creep devoured Bleach, is currently devouring Naruto, and is mostly left One piece alone.

I will say this, even at the points where i had lost most investment, Bleach still did enough things right, and brought up enough closure to certain areas, I still enjoyed it. The battle for Karakura gets exciting once the captains have to step in. And it still had those genuine moments of emotional resonance.

Naruto basically did what Bleach did, but decided to keep going. Leaving behind more and more of the cast until the greater world has shrunk to a few key players. I mean, I love the Pain arc fo rth emost point, but there is nothing left interesting about Sasuke once the story heads back there.

As for One Peice, it's still one of my favorite things in the world. I've watched just about all it. And the anime has it's pacing issues (As adaptations of comics to animation always seem to do), but it hits all the important parts, adds its own flair animation only could, and even figures out how to virtually remain filler free later on.

Look, if people can't stand something that doesn't end in 50 episodes, fine. But some of us like that some series have no problem going long to satisfy it's own lengths.

Zetsubou-Sama

Mar 31, 2010
Sigh. I think that people dismiss Bleach too easily, specially when taking into account the anime over the manga.

Yes Bleach went downhill after Soul Society Arc which I think is due to the fact that Kubo decided to emulate the Arc in the Hueco Mundo arc, without half the story, the twists and pure character pwoer (Aside from 2 or 3 Espadas, the rest were just boss fights/checkpoints to build up expectation), it got tiring and dull.

BUT:

Bleach has come back to a good point, Kubo finally decided to solve some old plotlines and questions and in my opinion did it well and is lauching himself into a new arc possibly redeeming the last two. Also Bleach stopped being about Ichigo a long time ago. Yes he's the MC but all of soul society/urahara's group are the main cast and I like it, they've been gaining more attention and being fleshed out more as the manga progresses as directly opposed to Naruto.

Bleach might have saving. A new arc with interesting implications for the story and a chance to redeem the manga. Yes it's a manga that is more about style than substance. But it was never any different. And I personally feel that Kubo has been putting his soul back into his work

Naruto: The fact that the whole story went from being about an underdog that rose to the occasion and proved himself and won the hearts and recognition from the people around him, into a plot where everything revolves around the same clan and doujutsu and a character that was introduced in the second part of the manga (the rikudou sennin) has killed it for me.

Kishimoto's passion for Naruto has died long ago, the smart fights have all disappeared, the strong cast are merely expository. He's been forcing all of the major plotlines into a single moment and it feels contrived. He cheapened death by bringing back some of the characters that are remembered for how they died. He's been retconning facts of his manga ever since the start. He builds up characters arcs and motives only to drop them due to not wanting to complicate things, he takes the easy way out. Even his art went from beautifully detailed to rubble everywhere.

The only reason why I dont drop Naruto is because it meant a lot to me once and it's close to the end.

One Piece: Oda has the most clusterfucky way of pacing story, he's art is good but has too much shit going on syndrome which makes the manag suffer. Also I heavily dislike the current direction of the manag. After the Marines HQ Arc, One Piece needed to grow in scope due to the events that happened, instead we're thrown into self-contained and adventure arcs like 5 years ago. The manga has to grow and Oda is not allowing it to.

That and the fact that after the underwhelming Strawhats reunion, the crew hasn't even talked about what happened in those two years, they don't even have moments like they used to. Characters talk more to other characters outside their crew. I miss those moments.

Jhonie

Oct 24, 2011
aba1 said:
Jhonie said:
snip bloody snip
I didn't want to write it all out but you hit my opinion on all the shows point by point on the head. Except that maybe Bleach is worse for continuity than Naruto. I remember in the soul society arc the talk about how the ken dude is the strongest only to go on and say he is the weakest of the captains or how people when they die can't die again and don't need water or anything but proceed to show children starving to death a arc or two later. The whole thing makes no sense. But ya other than that spot on analysis.
Like I said, I stopped watching Bleach rather early on, so my opinion on that one is underdeveloped in comparison. And I'm glad to see someone's agreeing :3
Saltyk said:
Well, since you asked.

Bleach
When I first saw the anime it blew me away. I loved the concept and was really interested in Ichigo's power, the fights were pretty great, and the lore was interesting. I will admit that the lore isn't breaking any new grounds, but it was well executed. The show was great for a long time.

Then, the filler happened. And kept happening. And happened even more. At this point, I don't watch the anime at all. I would skip all the filler and only watch the actual plot relevant stuff, but eventually even that had stupid bits of filler in it. Why was there a episode with Ichigo dreaming of the Arabian Nights in the middle of the Hueco Muendo arc? Why?

Now, I just read the manga. Admittedly ONLY because I wanna know the story behind Ichigo's father and such. Ichigo himself is now pretty Sueish. Seriously, he's part everything and after getting his Soul Reaper powers back, he trashed a arc's main villain with hardly an effort. Do I consider it good? No. Not at all.

Naruto
I think the first episodes I saw were them fighting Zabuza. That hooked me pretty fast. But honestly, Filler Hell killed the anime for me. So many episodes were just pointless filler that made Naruto look far more incompetent than he actually is.

Once more, I just read the manga, now. And I think it's actually pretty decent. As long as it doesn't pull the same thing Bleach did with Ichigo fighting Aizen, I'll be happy. And signs point to the series ending after the current plotline. I really can't see how they could continue after this.

One Piece
I want to like it. But, I seriously can't. Luffy's whole "I'm a pirate" thing just pissed me off. Anyone can see that he isn't a pirate. And the citizens frankly fear pirates, but he keeps fighting other pirates while stating that he is one.

Yes, I know about how bad the Marines are later shown to be. But I still couldn't get past him saying that he was a pirate, while constantly fighting pirates. Even when it meant getting kicked out of towns. It was annoying to me.

And that's a shame. I've seen some pretty decent looking clips, scenes, and even episodes. Still that one mental block prevents me from enjoying it.
I can see how that might present a problem, particularly in the beginning. You can try to keep in mind that in the world of One Piece, being a pirate means being free. You follow no laws but your own. The Pirate King is the man with the most freedom on the seas, and that is what Luffy wishes to achieve. I don't know if it'll make it any better, but it should be worth a try. You're missing up on a wonderful series by dismissing it for such a detail, you know. :)

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
So, back when I was younger and Toonami originally aired, I used to watch One Piece and Naruto. I preferred One Piece to Naruto but I saw about the same number of episodes each. With One Piece, all I remember was up till Arlong Park; I watched some assorted episodes up till that point, but nothing really in order. Same with Naruto, saw around 60 episodes in and then stopped following it. I liked One Piece enough to buy the mangas too; I have 1-10 I think. When I went to highschool I made entirely different friends who weren't really anime fans, so I kinda had a phase were I thought it was lame. But I did end up watching all of the Valkryia Chronicles anime before swearing the stuff off all together.

Recently, I decided to start rewatching One Piece from the beginning... I saw one episode on the new Toonami and it just got me interested again. I'm in Loguetown now but I fear running out of subbed episodes because I've been going pretty fast... Hate me if you must but I prefer subbed anime then dubbed. I might start rewatching Naruto too; I saw some of it on the new Toonami too although they are old episodes that I remember.

I can't say anything about Bleach because I've never watched it and don't plan too. I know this might sound stupid, but I like fiction that is somewhat grounded in reality. One Piece is just pirates with special powers, its believable enough, same with Naruto: Ninjas with special powers. I don't know much about Bleach, but it doesn't seem like its very grounded...

gritch

Tastes like Science!
Feb 21, 2011
I watched Naruto as a kid and I enjoyed it. My brother, sister, and I used to watch it every week while it was airing on cartoon network. We all sort of stopped watching it eventually. I tried picking it back up later but it just seems as if the series has just gone downhill (or my tastes have matured). I thought it had a great start it's just dragged on for too long and it's just sort of lost its focus.

For Bleach, I read the first few arcs of the manga but I quickly became bored by the constant ramping of power (seriously how many powers does Ichigo have by this point?). I got bored and sort of just let it slip. I have no real desire to pick it back up. Again I liked its initial concept it just sort of got too crazy for me.

For One Piece,I saw a few episodes as a kid. Out of the big three it definitely seems to have to greatest longevity. It just didn't really appeal to me personally (I guess I've always liked ninja's more than pirates). I recently had an interesting conversation with a Chinese girl who was a "hardcore anime fan". She insisted One Piece was a greatest anime ever. Even going so far as to say she's learned all of her important life lessons from the show (and belittling me for enjoying smaller more compact animes...). I guess One Piece is crazy popular outside the US but I don't understand the appeal.

I guess to summarize: Naruto and Bleach started off well but just went on for too long to stay meaningful for me. One Piece just isn't my cup of tea. I think I'll stay with smaller animes that tell a neat complete story instead of long arcs.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
If these are the "big 3" anime is in a lot of trouble. I could name several that are better than all of them off the top of my head.

So I will. Hellsing Ultimate? Baccano? Code Geass? Even the somewhat average Cowboy Bebop? All better.

Naruto/Onepiece/Etc are basically set up like House MD. Decent enough premise, characters that are bland enough for universal appeal, then drug out through so many seasons that every character has had five too many retarded arcs and nothing makes even the least amount of sense anymore and nothing has connectivity.

The well-contained anime that have an actual story to tell, get to the point and then end are all vastly superior to the never-ending slog of mediocrity of this "big 3."

Zetsubou-Sama

Mar 31, 2010
AuronFtw said:
If these are the "big 3" anime is in a lot of trouble. I could name several that are better than all of them off the top of my head.

So I will. Hellsing Ultimate? Baccano? Code Geass? Even the somewhat average Cowboy Bebop? All better.

Naruto/Onepiece/Etc are basically set up like House MD. Decent enough premise, characters that are bland enough for universal appeal, then drug out through so many seasons that every character has had five too many retarded arcs and nothing makes even the least amount of sense anymore and nothing has connectivity.

The well-contained anime that have an actual story to tell, get to the point and then end are all vastly superior to the never-ending slog of mediocrity of this "big 3."
They are called the big 3 not because they're good but because they're popular and arguably the three big entry level anime's for western audiences since DBZ

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I always find this topic a bit amusing, I forget exactly which episode it was but Gintama did a part where they went over the various tricks shows like DBZ started to pull and why they did them. I don't know about One Piece but I love it how they all seem to have their own method of padding out their episodes.

First off, while having a distinct ending is good, if the material is good then I have no problem with it running on practically for ever. Two of my older favourites are Ranma 1/2 and Berserk, and those went on forever... or in the case of Berserk is still running at a snail pace with a new 20 page chapter every few months, haha. Ultimately though there's two main problems with the 'big 3'.

First, the target audience is teen/youth. Problem is, maybe you enjoy it while you're a teen, but they've been running god knows how many years that eventually you grow up but the show doesn't. Unlike say Harry Potter where the series starts getting darker as it nears it's end and the characters are growing up, a show like Naruto keeps its same old shtick right through the years. I mean seriously, how many times does Naruto face a villain who went bad because nobody every loved him but then Naruto flashed back to when nobody every loved him but he kept at it and now he's a special butterfly and has lots of friends and blah blah blah it just never bloody stops!!!

Second, it's the manga that drives the narrative for these shows, and 18-20 page weekly manga translates horribly to a 20 minute weekly anime. Looking at other series as examples you basically need 50 manga pages to smoothly run a 20 minute anime episode at a 1:1 rate. So yeah, basically these series have to stretch their source material 2.5 times in length to get the job done and what you end up with is an immense amount of padding, and when that can't get the job done it's time to bring in a filler arc.

SirDerick

Nov 9, 2009
Watched the anime for a while. When It got to to point where the show was "Use 15 minutes to recap previous episodes, then give one minute of new footage" I gave up and switched to the manga.

No more filler and, while it still goes on for-fucking-ever and least the plot moves forward with each new issue.

I think the problem with the anime is that, each issue of the manga gives, at most, 5-7 minutes of footage. Which means they have at most, 7 minutes of interesting stuff, 3 minutes of fantastic intro and outro sequences, eight minutes of commercials and twelve fucking minutes of doing fuck-all.

This is why I love the anime version of attack on titan so much (at least so far). They use that extra time to flesh out the side characters, making the story more interesting.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
aba1 said:
michael87cn said:
Those shows aint got nothing on Berserk. It (the manga) has been going on for like 10+ years now.

For freaks sake... FINISH IT ALREADY!
Ohhh god don't remind me it has been like a year and we got maybe 3 chapters. I can't wait forever god damn it!

OT: I have watched or read ALOT of all three and I agree mostly with this video except the stuff about One Piece. OP has very little filler in it and it is far better written than the other two over all. The only problem with OP is the pacing which can put people off which I totally understand. It is also the longest but I don't count that as a issue inherently cause it is subjective as to whether that is even a true flaw. Don't get me wrong OP is far from perfect and doesn't hold a candle to the real greats but it is the best of the top 3 and on a personal level I enjoy it greatly but that is a biased preference.
I really want to like Berserk, I mean I REALLY want to like it, but I'm hesitant to start a series that seems to blunder on indefinitely. I saw the anime, and it blew my mind. It easily outstrips Game of Thrones, which is incredibly overrated. I keep hearing the manga is nowhere near over, which is disappointing, because the show was incredibly well paced and concise, and didn't suffer from any filler. The character and plot arcs were brilliant, the ending was tragic but left you ready for more, and the writing was fantastic. Out of curiosity, to the fans, is the story even worth it, or should I save myself the exasperation and move on to something else? Does it seem to be winding down, or does it just keep going? Is there a lot of filler? I just don't see the point investing in something that won't end.

Drauger

Dec 22, 2011
Well the "big Three" are crap imho, saw the 3 of them, read the 3 of them and got tired of the 3, they share the same problem imo, think about buffy , how the first seasons were cool, but then she goes to college, and Willow becomes lesbian ( w8 maybe that isn't bad) and everybody goes bad, and then we see dawn and yada yada yada crap crap crap.

Bleach ,for me it ended at the rukia arc, at least from my point of view it was like the end, but the writer needed to milk it some more and thought what the heck let's just continue it, and keep coming up with idiotic arcs.

Then comes the awful idiotic one piece, at least bleach had a nice design but this piece of crap,I just don't get how can it have so many fans... blergh.

Naruto ..... meh imho the least worst from these but still blergh.. ohhh wait SASUKE F******************KING SASUKE!!! blergh ARGH!!! I hate Sasuke... the rest of the cast it's kind of ok, but I really got tired of everyone talking about how cool sasuke is, how powerful sasuke is, and Naruto always saved the freaking day at the end, Tsunade is nice trough.... o_O

Right now I'm reading Fairy Tail and, personally I enjoy it a lot more, Shingeki no Kyojin is kind of cool too...... Manwah is nice, love freezing..... do yourself a favor and don't waste your time with the "Big Three".

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
madwarper said:
I like Bleach, am warm toward Naruto, but feel that One Piece is directionless and far too juvenile for my tastes.

I started watching them on the years ago, when Toonami was prime time. After missing a few episodes, I turned to the manga to get caught up and never looked back. No filler, no god awful English voice actors.

Naruto is already fighting the battle of its last arc, and Bleach is gearing up for the fight of its last arc.

I just has a sad because both Deadman Wonderland and Soul Eater have just ended.
actually naruto has 1 maybe 2 more arcs left after the current one, but bleach is over after this arc. That said one piece is halfway done according to the creator lol.

OT: I still watch bleach cause its enjoyable and the dub isn't too bad but I prefer to read the manga for the big 3.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Fox12 said:
aba1 said:
michael87cn said:
Those shows aint got nothing on Berserk. It (the manga) has been going on for like 10+ years now.

For freaks sake... FINISH IT ALREADY!
Ohhh god don't remind me it has been like a year and we got maybe 3 chapters. I can't wait forever god damn it!

OT: I have watched or read ALOT of all three and I agree mostly with this video except the stuff about One Piece. OP has very little filler in it and it is far better written than the other two over all. The only problem with OP is the pacing which can put people off which I totally understand. It is also the longest but I don't count that as a issue inherently cause it is subjective as to whether that is even a true flaw. Don't get me wrong OP is far from perfect and doesn't hold a candle to the real greats but it is the best of the top 3 and on a personal level I enjoy it greatly but that is a biased preference.
I really want to like Berserk, I mean I REALLY want to like it, but I'm hesitant to start a series that seems to blunder on indefinitely. I saw the anime, and it blew my mind. It easily outstrips Game of Thrones, which is incredibly overrated. I keep hearing the manga is nowhere near over, which is disappointing, because the show was incredibly well paced and concise, and didn't suffer from any filler. The character and plot arcs were brilliant, the ending was tragic but left you ready for more, and the writing was fantastic. Out of curiosity, to the fans, is the story even worth it, or should I save myself the exasperation and move on to something else? Does it seem to be winding down, or does it just keep going? Is there a lot of filler? I just don't see the point investing in something that won't end.
I highly recommend reading it and though it is reasonably long it goes very very fast. The anime is terrible in comparison to the manga. Also there is no filler at all during the whole thing. The only thing I can say bad about the series is that the author takes long breaks between chapters. Also lastly the art in the manga is insanely good at some point easily better than any other manga. Though I will give you a heads up it can be insanely graphic.