Let's Talk Top 5 RPG's

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Okay so let me ask you this, what are your top 5 RPG's of all time? I bet a lot of you start thinking of games like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI or VII, Secret of Mana, etc. But take another look at history and try to look at things critically. Were those games the best RPG's ever? Or were they simply classics. Final Fantasy VII, for example, is one of my favorite games of all time. But recent years have had me rethinking my position as my favorite RPG of all time. While FF7 is still a fantastic game, I can't reasonably say that there aren't tons of games that don't do what FF7 does only better. There are games with better combat, better story, much better graphics (though this is the least important aspect), so how can I realistically call it the best RPG ever? I don't think I can.

So for this list I am going to list my Top 5 RPG's. This list is taking into account the vast game play improvements made in gaming history since the "classics" and as a result any game that is considered timelessly classic is exempt from contention here.

#5 - Persona 5: What can I say about Persona 5 that hasn't already been said. Persona 5 does nothing different from "classic" rpg's of the past age, but it does it better than almost every one of them. From an engaging battle system that requires smart play that allows players to overpower enemies without the challenge ever feeling broken, to a pokemon mechanic that is more engaging and works better than pokemon, to a story that somehow manages to be both grounded and fantastic at the same time. Persona gives you a story with real world elements that do wonders to connect you to the characters on a deeper level, somehow hooking you into the story in a way that fantasy RPG's just don't.

#4 - Original Mass Effect Trilogy: Okay so I am gonna cheat a little here. But that's because what Mass Effect did, encompassed three entire epic games. While people have a favoring lean toward the second game because of how polished it was compared to the first, you can't have ME2 without ME1. These games proved that you could have a great and epic sci-fi trilogy RPG without boring dialog, and making magic spells somehow work in a sci-fi setting. Biotics are basically the force right? Anyway this epic adventure put the fate of the entire galaxy at risk in a real tangible way and was exciting from start to finish. Sure it got a lot of slack for it's final ending, but honestly I didn't find it that upsetting. Plus the journey was worth taking, and there aren't many games that you can say that about.

#3 - Horizon Zero Dawn - Okay I'm probably gonna get shit for this one, and I will admit that Horizon doesn't really do anything differently. But what it does, it does perfectly and as such it earns it's high rank. Until other series based RPG's with established foundations, Horizon comes out of the gate as a brand new IP and knocks it out of the fucking park. The world is fantastically realized, with an incredibly interesting history. The Protagonist is fantastic with her own history that actually ties into the grander world history as well. The combat takes the wild concept of hunting robot animals with a fucking bow and arrow, and makes it feel and play incredibly. The game doesn't bog you down with a million pointless side quests, and even the collect-a-thon elements are fairly held back providing just enough to offer reasons to fully explore the world without also being fucking annoying and tedious.

#2 - BloodBorne: What Dark Souls began, Bloodborne perfected. FromSoft truly made something special with Bloodborne. It took the interconnected, world of Dark Souls and adapted it into a Victorian Chutulu setting making one of the most interesting worlds I've ever been murdered in. Bloodborne evolved Dark Souls combat and it is here that I think the Souls-like combat was perfected. Unlike DS where you must be patient and slow with your progression, Bloodborne says "Fuck that go ham!" Combat is fast, aggressive and still extremely challenging. The lore is rich and interesting, but like the Soul's series, you have to hunt for it. Bloodborne doesn't give you anything, you have to earn all of it. On top of a fantastic main game, you also have endless play in Chalice Dungeons which act like random game sections that allow you to continue to play and progress far beyond what the main game can offer you.

#1 - The Witcher 3: I mean....Fucking....Duh!

Okay, okay, okay. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt does everything right. I mean everything. The world is rich and vibrant. The game has some of the most beautiful dialog animations EVER, I mean...EVER in the history of EVER! This game is bursting at the seems with content, and none of it is throw away. From every little question mark on the map that often times has surprising levels of story, to entire side quests that are better written that most entire games, The Witcher 3 is incredible on ever level. Even the card mini game is addicting and rewarding, so much so that they are making an entire stand alone version of the card game with expanded mechanics and tribes. Combat is amazing as well, Geralt responds with grace and fluidity to your commands, and the difficulty options allow you to make combat as engrossing as you want. On story mode, you can steam roll through everything in the game and just enjoy the story content. On Fuckyourface hard, you can watch the enemies fuck your face if you make the slightest mistake. One complaint I see about this game is that combat is too easy, bullshit. On very hard you must farm materials to make sure you are potioned for heightened combat prowess, on top of making sure your sword is coated in the right weapon oil for any given baddie, on top of making quick and clever use of Geralt's five magic abilities. One mistake will kill you on very hard.

Oh and if the 70+ hour main game wasn't enough for you. The Witcher 3 has TWO expansions each adding over 25+ hours of content. Yeah 25+ HOURS! That means that each expansion is bigger that most FULL games. For 10 bucks a piece. Are you fucking kidding me right now? Look not only is The Witcher 3 the best RPG ever made, but it is the best video GAME ever made. I'm not saying perfect, I'm saying best, there is a difference because nothing is perfect. But honestly I can't think of a better game. I just can't.

Tell me Escapist. What are your Top 5 RPG's of all time. Try to separate yourself from the classics and think on it.

Do you agree with my list, disagree? Let me know.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
1) Bloodborne (my absolute most favorite game of all time)
2) Dark Souls 3 (soooo pretty and the combat feels perfected)
3) Final Fantasy 7 (remains my most favorite JRPG, I just really love the story and the characters and that 'you had to be there' nostalgia)
4) Demon's Souls (I was instantly hooked when I played this for the first time in 2009, and besides the insanely satisfying gameplay the atmosphere kept me engaged in ways few games ever did)
5) Dark Souls (the game that started the hype and while it might be overexposed by now I can't deny playing this game for the fist time was one of the most immersive experiences ever in a videogame)

Hmmm...lots of 'souls' in my top 5 but it can't be helped they are just my favorite games and cater pretty much perfectly to my tastes. :p These are some (very) honorable mentions: Nioh, Xenogears, The Witcher 3(one of the most amazing 'traditional' RPGs I've ever played), Digital Devil Saga(my favorite in the Megaten franchise). If Horizon is considered an RPG I'll include that one too. :p

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
CritialGaming said:
But take another look at history and try to look at things critically.
Alright, I'll wait until those games are 10+ years old and see which ones still hold up. Bloodborne online features make the game better (not only messages, co-op and invasions; but also summoning other people's chalice dungeons without using ritual materials). But as with any online features, sooner or later it won't be supported anymore.

And also DLCs. Without the DLCs the ME2 and ME3 are just half as good (I mean, the ME3 DLCs is the only place where your class affect that game's narrative).

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
CaitSeith said:
CritialGaming said:
But take another look at history and try to look at things critically.
Alright, I'll wait until those games are 10+ years old and see which ones still hold up. Bloodborne online features make the game better (not only messages, co-op and invasions; but also summoning other people's chalice dungeons without using ritual materials). But as with any online features, sooner or later it won't be supported anymore.

And also DLCs. Without the DLCs the ME2 and ME3 are just half as good (I mean, the ME3 DLCs is the only place where your class affect that game's narrative).
Well by that logic no game in the last 10 years can possibly hold up because they almost all have online components that wont be accessible anymore. I never used Online gameplay in Bloodborne, so I didn't hold it up by it's PVP or other online features.

Same goes for the Mass Effect DLC's, I never got the DLC so im judging it based on my experience without it.

What games would you put in the top 5?

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
Horizon is considered an RPG?

well anyways if I was going to name top 5 RPGs...

1. Final Fantasy VII - the characters, the story, the music, the setting, everything is still just perfect for me. The expanded universe is hit or miss but for what it's worth I love this game... and hey it's because of this game that I can now read/write and speak English so it has that going for it aswell in my case :p

2. Dragon Quest VIII - this was the first game that sort of blew my mind, not because of the story mind you, the story is extremely simple and straight forward. No what caught me was the characters and the world, maybe I was young at the time but this was the first time where I felt that if I could see it I could go there. Also Jessica and Yangus are extremely likeable characters and I just love them too much not to remember this game fondly. I recently played through the 3DS "remake" and well it's even better now and I'm convinced this game is by far one of the best RPG's for me.

3. Final Fantasy Tactics - there's not much I can say about this game other than everything, absolutely EVERYTHING is incredible! The maps, the music, the characters, the story, man the story has so many twist upon twist that I had to play it like 3 times to "understand it" and then they made a remake with a proper translation and even more maps and man I think this is my most played game of all time.

4. Chrono Trigger - short, sweet, and fun. I went back to this game after learning English and enjoyed it even more. I love how many great characters you meet and how many alternate endings you can get based on your knowledge of the game. There's really nothing about it I don't like, this game is a classic you'll see in a lot of Top X video games and for good reason.

5. Pokemon - idk I think all Pokemon games are great and offer countless hours of entertainment. There's nothing particularly mind blowing about them, they're just good clean fun (the term not the band) I guess Black 2 would be my favorite if I was to choose only 1 game from the series.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
I do not have a solid top 5 only top 2 which incidentally make up 2/3rds of my top 3 list.

1. Final Fantasy VII - yup roll your eyes if you want but its the only RPG that has gotten me to play it more than once (think im on about 11 times now) I just love the story, the characters (my favourite cast from any game ever) the materia system and the world. Honestly though I wish they had never done the expanded universe bs it really just weakens so much of what they achieved with this game. It was not my first RPG or FF game but it was definitely the first RPG to capture my attention and open me up to new genres (not just RPGs). I lack the talent to convey accurately why I feel it is the best RPG as well as my favourite RPG of all time but it just had a magic that I have never seen since. Also one of the very few games I bothered to get the soundtrack to although at the time of me buying it I had to import it from japan which was not as easy as it is now so it cost more than the game itself.

2. Xenoblade Chronicles - wow this world is absolutely brilliant plus the story is engaging enough and the combat is good. Really though I just loved being in this world. Shame I cannot say the same about Xenoblade Chronicles X.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
I dunno. A simple top 5 seems too hard.

1. Witcher 3
2. Planescape Torment
3. Ultima V
4. Baldur's Gate 2
5. Mass Effect 2
6. Dark Souls
7. Ultima VII
8. Fallout
9. Witcher 2
10. Skyrim

Ideally we could get away from single entries though, and run off entire series, in which case it might look more like this...

1. Ultima IV-VII, Martin Dreams, Savage Empire, Ultima Underworld 1 & 2
2. Fallout 1-4, New Vegas
3. Mass Effect 1-3
4. Witcher 1-3
5. Baldur's Gate 1-2
6. Dark Souls 1-3
7. Elder Scrolls 2-5

Both Witcher and Mass Effect could challenge for higher, but are let down by seriously weak entries (1 and 3). Fallout is bolstered by its overall world building and unique aesthetic and tone. Ultima was a towering, decades spanning achievement. It doesn't collapse due to it's loathsome final chapters since I believe the series stands as *more* complete without them. Elder Scrolls could and maybe should be higher but some of its individual entries are dubious.

The worst part of all of this is I'm probably forgetting at least 1-2 absolutely essential entries, which is to say nothing of all the hybrid FPS/RPGs and MMOs I have to leave out.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
1. Morrowind (Be happy I did not put Morrowind five times)
2. Pokemon (Black/White or Red/Blue)
3. Neverwinter Nights (Mechanically it perfected what games like Baldur's Gate did, while being 3rd Edition, and having a relatively easy to use toolset and online that was the closest to a true online video game DnD experience)
4. Dark Cloud 2 (A Bard of an RPG, it had a little bit of everything, and did well on most of it too)
5. Dragon Warrior Monsters (I like it better than Pokemon, but it is lower cause Pokemon is a bigger series, and DWM doesnt get brought out of Japan always)

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Saelune said:
1. Morrowind (Be happy I did not put Morrowind five times)
2. Dragon Warrior Monsters (I like it better than Pokemon, but it is lower cause Pokemon is a bigger series, and DWM doesnt get brought out of Japan always)Pokemon (Black/White or Red/Blue)
3. Neverwinter Nights (Mechanically it perfected what games like Baldur's Gate did, while being 3rd Edition, and having a relatively easy to use toolset and online that was the closest to a true online video game DnD experience)
4. Dark Cloud 2 (A Bard of an RPG, it had a little bit of everything, and did well on most of it too)
5. Pokemon (Black/White or Red/Blue)
I fixed it for you. This is your list. Fuck what is more popular.

Aug 31, 2012
I'm going to sort of cheat and use series in some cases.

1. Fallout series, the modern ones. I'd probably go for NV as my favourite. It used to be 3, but NV has stayed more memorable over the years. 3 had more initial punch and the concept was great for a 1st play through, exploring the charred irradiated carcass of humanity was right up my street, but after it was all explored it turns out that the charred irradiated carcass of humanity isn't a great place to spend any time.

2. Neverwinter Nights & expansions. Only Bioware game I've ever liked. I can't remember their name, but I do remember my ludicrously OP Shadowdancer chewing through motherfuckers like there was no tomorrow. I even remember the story to the first one, though the expansions are kind of hazy I liked the theme of...the desert lost city one, I forget the name.

3. Oblivon/Skyrim. Oblivion comes out on top due to the environment

Uhhh....

4. Neverwinter Nights 2, I guess. Combat was clunky and horrible, it was a bug ridden piece of shit that I had to restart 3+ times, but dammit I actually liked some of the NPC companions.

5. Do MMOs count? I play them like single player RPGs. In which case Guild Wars & GW2. The first one probably being my favourite due to the setting and the first 2 expansions. If they do count then this probably goes in 4th place. If not, er....maybe the Baldurs Gate hack n slash RPGs on console.

Kerg3927

Jun 8, 2015
Disclaimer: I only play on PC, so no console games here.

1) Mass Effect trilogy
-I consider it all one big game, Part 1, 2, & 3. Great characters, intense story, fun gameplay, interesting character leveling/development. It's got everything. Could the ending have been done better? Yeah, but the Extended Cut version is not that bad. And the rest of ME3 is really, really good.

2) Dark Souls trilogy
-Not a continuous game as above, but 2 and 3 are basically remakes of the original game, IMO. What 2 and 3 lack in originality, they make up for in graphics and polish. I like all three about the same. The adrenaline rush from the challenging gameplay is like crack. The variety in gear and fashion souls awesomeness. The fun combat. Interesting stats. The mood and environment. The creative level design. And as someone who has always avoided PvP like the plague, I even grew to enjoy the invasion mechanic. The way it was baked into the game adds a wildcard element of excitement and danger, and it doesn't happen so often as to become repetitive like PvP normally does for me.

3) Dragon Age: Origins
-This game might be beginning to feel dated in the graphics and gameplay department, but what makes DAO great is the characters. Alistair, Sten, Morrigan, etc. They are some of the greatest NPC characters in gaming history, IMO.

4) Dragon Age II
-Not nearly as bad as its reputation. The characters overall are a huge dropoff from DAO. But you only need to play with 3, and Varric and Merrill are two very good ones. Play as the tank and throw in Anders for your healer, and you're g2g. The game gets a lot of grief for its reusing of maps, but it's not a big deal. The combat is the most challenging and fun in the Dragon Age trilogy, IMO (particularly the DLC). Play on Nightmare difficulty, and some of the boss fights are Dark Souls-worthy.

5) Warcraft 3
-Yeah, I know this is technically a real-time strategy game, but it has heavy RPG elements. I would call it an RTS/RPG hybrid. Great story, great characters, you level up your heroes and gear them out, etc. It's one of my favorite games of all time, and I couldn't think of anything else worthy of the list that wasn't too dated graphically.

If dated graphics weren't a consideration, I'd replace #4 and 5 above with Wizardry 7 and Baldur's Gate respectively.

Qoajo

May 10, 2017
1)Skyrim. Freakin' love it.
2) The Mass Effect Trilogy. Can't decide which one.
3) The Witcher 3
4) Fallout NV
5) Morrowind

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Zelda: A Link to the Past
Final Fantasy 1
Final Fantasy 10
Skyrim
annnnnnd...
Won't say 5th as I"m playing through Witcher 3 now and want the space reserved for it. So far so good. Fallout 3 may still just edge it out.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
1) Final Fantasy VII
I love this game. It's my all time favorite game. I play it once a year and I've probably forgotten more about this game than most of you ever knew. This is the game that really got me interested in games in general. Before it, I had played plenty of games, but nothing really blew my mind like it did. And honestly, I think people badmouth it so much that it might be underrated.

And I really hope the FFVII Remake is good. Please be good!

2) Suikoden II
Best of the Suikoden series. This game tells the story of two friends divided by war. You can recruit 108 characters for your army (some will open up shops or offer minigames). It features three major battle systems. Normal Random battles, one on one Duels (which are very much like Rock, Paper, Scissors), and strategic War battles. Characters can permanently die, and there's even 4 different endings. This game is one of the best. Oh, and if you load data from the first game, you can get various bonuses, the most impressive being the first game's hero.

Too bad it's owned by Konami...

3) Final Fantasy Tactics
This is one of those games that you either love or hate. Well, I love it. The story, characters, and setting are all top notch. The various classes, with insane customization, are fun and rewarding to utilize. This measure by which all tactical RPGs are judged by. And for good reason.

From here I could list plenty of other great RPGs. Chrono Trigger, Mass Effect, Xenogears, Wild Arms, and others. But none of them really stand out to me as much as the ones I already listed. These three will pretty much always be my top picks.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
Note: I'm only allowing myself 1 game from a series, otherwise the top 5 would probably be from three different series.

5) Disgaea 3 - I don't know why but I think I prefer 3 over the others, I don't know why but I think I liked the characters more in 3 but it is close between 3 and 4 (I've changed the numbers round on this a couple of times)

4) Final Fantasy 8 - Best Final Fantasy in my mind, I really liked the characters, the plot, the junction system and the card mini-game

3) Persona 4 - I currently think Persona 5 is better, but I don't want to put a game I'm currently playing in as I'm probably biased, wait till the end of the year and I'd probably replace this with Persona 5

2) Mass Effect - The first time I bought a whole new PC rather than just upgrade components here and there to play a single game was for Mass Effect. I bought it when it came out for PC but my computer wouldn't run it, it took be over a year to be able to afford it, during which time I saw loads of adverts for it everywhere I went but in the end it was sooo worth it.

1) Neverwinter Nights - still play it occasionally, there are so many awesome modules out there for it and the multiplayer was the first time I ever got invested in an online community, the first time I actually had friends and enemies online.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I did a top 10 RPGs thread awhile back, so I probably stated everything I could (within reason) about my top 10 then. So copy-pasting the top 5 then, it would be:

5) Golden Sun: The Lost Age

4) Xenoblade Chronicles

3) Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword

2) Golden Sun: The Broken Seal

1) Mass Effect

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
I'm just going to throw the Gothic series in there, because I find the lack of mentioning it disturbing.

Gothic 1 in particular was way ahead of its time in 2001, it introduced me to a lot of things that catched on later, shaping my experiences with RPGs in a meaningful way to easily earn a place in my top 5.

Open world filled with meaningful content, believable living world, day-night cycle with AI routines, voiced protagonist and NPCs with dialogue cutscenes, class system intertwined with factions, difficult gameplay with no hand helding.

The second game improved on a lot of things, but it couldn't capture the magic of the penal colony for me. The third game killed a franchise way before Mass Effect did, so it was ahead of its time once again.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
5.) fallout: new vegas. Just to have SOME wrpg representation on here. This is the one fallout game I absolutely loved. One of few games I ever bothered with until getting the platinum trophy. It says a lot about the quality of the game's characters and politics that I love it as much as I do. Not only is the game but-riddled, it takes place primarily in a desert... which is normally a setting that translates to an instant deal breaker for me due to a weird hangup I have with heat.

4.) Final Fantasy Tactics. It was gonna be this one or 8, but I ultimately settled for this one. 8 has greater nostalgia for me, being a game that brought me back into console gaming after a long hiatus, but tactics was definitely a more engaging story. By the time I finally got around to playing 6 or 7 it was after the release of FF9, so I missed the boat on what made them groundbreaking and memorable.

3.) Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. Yes, yes, it's the game SMT snobs always rub in the face of persona fans in an effort to stroke their elitist ego, but annoying fanboys aside, there's a VERY strong reason this game has the reputation it does. Being a mainline SMT game, it doesn't have the relatable, well-scripted characters of persona or the other spinoffs, but what it does have is a very strong dedication to its central theme of rebirth, order and chaos. The setting is bleak and memorable, and the trials posed to the main character strongly reinforce the feeling of being powerful, yet truly being nothing but a plaything for the amusement of infinitely powerful gods. One of the few main series titles I've wanted to play multiple times.

2.). Growlanser 4: wayfarer of time. A game and franchise I never tire of bringing up, because it's all so tragically obscure. Great characters, 3-dimensional villains, and a story that did an excellent job of punching me in the gut every time I failed to find the right sequence of events to save someone's life. If you're a fan of jrpgs and happen to have a vita and a few extra bucks, I'd heartily recommend it.

1.). Have to do some soul searching here... there are a few contenders. Eh, I'll get back to you