Letter From the Staff

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Letter From the Staff

Looking back at our record of published material, we began to see that certain core values, unexpressed but ever present, had shaped which articles we'd published and which topics we'd covered. We resolved that in the New Year, we would compile and publish these values in a written statement. We'd clarify our biases. We'd express our positions. We'd be open about what we stood for, and encourage others to be, too.

These are our positions. This is what we stand for.

Read Full Article

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
You guys actively support letting companies have full ownership & control of user-mods provided they give fair warning? Man, with all the talk about owning intellectual property and letting people use games to explore a wide array of topics...that seems a little bit counter-intuitive.

In their current form they're mostly derivative and I don't think any of them remotely deserve contesting ownership. But as people are able to dump more of their own art, sound, and design into the mods I think at some point that line is going to get crossed.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Interesting, but kinda pointless lil document which seemed to say "we walk the line"

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
I'm interested to hear how my illicit downloading of a copy of a Custer's Revenge ROM is hurting the publisher, developer, the PC gaming market, or well, anybody other than a pixelated Native American.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I thought it was a great document, but one segment did give me pause; the "diversity in games" section made me stumble, but only because I was approaching it in terms of "Yeah, developers should try exploring new genres instead of cranking out the same old ones" and not in the terms you were addressing.

Good stuff.

-- Steve

scarbunny

Beware of geeks bearing gifs.
Aug 11, 2008
An interesting if less than radical read.

It seems, to my understanding at least, that your current stand point is that developers can do what they like with their games as long as they tell us in advance. While this is all fine and dandy, they did put all the time and money into creating the software after all, it seems to be at odds with what you as a publication "that wasn't afraid to tackle the hard issues facing the game industry". To my mind a stand point that would be of greater value to all parties would be one based on the rights of gamers (which in your current ideals seems to be buy it or dont) as well as developers.

Just my 2cents.

*Edit* You also fail to mention anything regarding abandonware beyond the standard piracy is bad line.

I would also be interested to know what you propose as a sutible replacment to the pre-owned games market? A solution that is good for both players and developers, if I dont like a game I should be allowed to sell it on, should I not?

incal11

Oct 24, 2008
I'd like to know what is your official opinion about the "piracy" of 10+ years old games ?
(Oh, how much I'd love that one of the Escapist's staff answer me..)

Publishers can protect their work all right ; but I'd like them to do it with something else than online activation and limited install, it just doesn't strike me as justifiable either .

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
Painting the question as of one "piracy of 10+ years old games" makes it overly simplistic, don't you think? For instance, Ultima Online is 10 years old, but pirating Ultima Online seems like it is still piracy. Ultima is a commercial game that continues to operate and charge users.

If you want to formulate a policy on abandonware you need to address:
- the age of the game,
- its continuing suitability for commercial exploitation,
- the intent of the copyright holders,
- the public benefit of enabling the property to enter the public domain, and
- the length of time that the property has been abandoned (most important of all!)

The issue of abandonware is closely analagous to the issue of adverse possession in real property law. In case you're not familiar with that term: If you abandon your home and I live there for twenty years, and you then return and try to kick me out, the doctrine of "adverse possession" will give me title to your property.

Or, from Wikipedia, "adverse possession is based on the doctrine of laches, which states that neglect to assert a right together with lapse of time and other circumstances prejudices an adverse party." In short, it puts a statute of limitation on your ability to exercise your property rights, if you stop exercising them. (If you continuously exercise them, this never occurs). Sounds a lot like the idea of abandonware, right? It's a centuries-old common law doctrine.

Applying similar reasoning, if I let my game slip out of circulation for a year, it's hard to claim it is abandonware. If I let my game slip out of circulation for 20 years, during which time it is freely distributed around the web, right in front of my nose, and never say or do anything about it, then it seems like it should hard for me to claim decades later that this is all piracy and I'm very upset about it.

So do we believe that there should be something similar for games, so that there is a moral and legal point at which a game is abandoned and should be considered to have entered the public domain? Yes.

Does our legal system currently have such a provision for copyright? No. Maybe not. Not sure. Copyright law is a jumbled mess.

Did we want to jumble up our position paper with legal analogies to adverse possession and intricate copyright arguments? No. It would take a full paper in itself. Maybe we will draft that, if there's enough interest. We weren't even sure anyone would read THIS paper!

incal11

Oct 24, 2008
Archon said:
Painting the question as of one "piracy of 10+ years old games" makes it overly simplistic, don't you think? For instance, Ultima Online is 10 years old, but pirating Ultima Online seems like it is still piracy. Ultima is a commercial game that continues to operate and charge users.

If you want to formulate a policy on abandonware you need to address:
- the age of the game,
- its continuing suitability for commercial exploitation,
- the intent of the copyright holders,
- the public benefit of enabling the property to enter the public domain, and
- the length of time that the property has been abandoned (most important of all!)

The issue of abandonware is closely analagous to the issue of adverse possession in real property law. In case you're not familiar with that term: If you abandon your home and I live there for twenty years, and you then return and try to kick me out, the doctrine of "adverse possession" will give me title to your property.

Or, from Wikipedia, "adverse possession is based on the doctrine of laches, which states that neglect to assert a right together with lapse of time and other circumstances prejudices an adverse party." In short, it puts a statute of limitation on your ability to exercise your property rights, if you stop exercising them. (If you continuously exercise them, this never occurs). Sounds a lot like the idea of abandonware, right? It's a centuries-old common law doctrine.

Applying similar reasoning, if I let my game slip out of circulation for a year, it's hard to claim it is abandonware. If I let my game slip out of circulation for 20 years, during which time it is freely distributed around the web, right in front of my nose, and never say or do anything about it, then it seems like it should hard for me to claim decades later that this is all piracy and I'm very upset about it.

So do we believe that there should be something similar for games, so that there is a moral and legal point at which a game is abandoned and should be considered to have entered the public domain? Yes.

Does our legal system currently have such a provision for copyright? No. Maybe not. Not sure. Copyright law is a jumbled mess.

Did we want to jumble up our position paper with legal analogies to adverse possession and intricate copyright arguments? No. It would take a full paper in itself. Maybe we will draft that, if there's enough interest. We weren't even sure anyone would read THIS paper!
Thank you for your answer , I actually did not expect it.

Yes, I was being overly simplistic , but I was implying (at least in my mind) most of what you just said.
Maybe you should draft it after all , but I can understand if you want to keep it simple.
:)

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
This was a great read. While at first I thought that it could use more depth - as others noted above - I'm pretty sure that would have the opposite of the intended effect.

A number of broad, reasonable statements that everyone can embrace is good as far as vision statements go. As you add resolution and depth, it becomes harder and harder to make statements that everyone can agree with. In an effort to please everyone, you end up with a document that nobody really likes.

I also like that while unifying, it gives lots of room for individuals on the staff to embrace different positions. It might be a matter of personal taste, but I don't become a fan of periodicals, I become a fan of an individual writers working for the periodical. Too many places (and I'm sure you know who I mean) are going for that one-voice approach, and their voice ends up bring a bland monotone.

Crap. Another overlong forum post that I should have just put on my blog. Apologies.

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
Why don't you make that your position? That there isn't enough discussion of the issue--especially by people interested in doing things like making legal analogies as opposed to people advocating for one side at all costs--in order to take a position, and that any position worth taking is going to wind up being a full paper in itself, and not a tag line?
Because there's a lot of issues we didn't tackle for that reason. The point wasn't to necessarily answer every question, but to state ones that we did feel we had answers to.

As it stands now, the person who pirates software from a paying customer is in a greater category of wrongdoing than someone who buys an illegal copy of the software from a bootlegger: if I buy stolen goods, I'm just guilty of buying stolen goods, right? While if I pirate software, you're saying I've actually stolen.

Even if you're certain that no piracy is justifiable, why not take the position that while it's not justifiable, neither is it stealing? Just because you disagree with one side of the argument, you don't have to adopt the vocabulary of the extremists on the other side. We have plenty of words for wrongful use--embezzlement, infringement, etc.--so I have to ask: why did you settle on the word *stealing*?
Steal means "to take the property of another wrongfully and especially as a habitual or regular practice" and "to take from another without right and without detection." That is the word for what is going on, no?

Other words, such as robbery, larceny, embezzlement, and infringement, are all defined specific legal terms. Stealing is not. Its a synonym for pilfer, filch, and purloin, but it has the virtue of being easily understood in common parlance. "Piracy is pilfering!" lacks bite, no?

Also, why is the legal and the practical conflated with the moral? Aren't those three different questions?
Sorry - could you give me the context of where this is aimed?

Why is there a disclaimer at the beginning of this question: "Do we need more diversity in games?" that isn't in "Is the used games and games rental business good for consumers and game companies?" and "How much compensation do game creators deserve for making a hit game?"
The straight answers is that we wrote our positions first, then phrased the questions for what we had written as answers.

The philosophical answer is that the question is itself part of the position. For example, if we had asked "Do game creators deserve compensation for making a hit game", that would have implied that the core issue of compensation for artistic creation was open to question here at The Escapist, whereas as written, the question suggests that we are evaluating how much game creation should be valued, relative to other things.

Why is the "current used games business and game rental business" and example of "poor business practices" because they "put the retailer in ongoing conflict with the game companies" and "will lead to fewer games, less innovation, and higher prices"? Why should retailers care about any of those things? Isn't that just an *unfortunate* business practice for the consumer and the game companies, and a GOOD--the opposite of bad--business practice for the game retailer? What's wrong with conflict in a market economy?
Perhaps "inefficient" or "sub-optimal" would have been a better word, but we were aiming for accessibility. From your studies of economics, you'll know that a business practice can be sub-optimal for the market as a whole even when it benefits one particular market participant. For example, monopolies are "GOOD business practices" (to use your phrase) for the monopolist, but nevertheless are not something we'd recommend.

Do you think maybe you've taken a vantage point that privileges the game companies in this manifesto? Jumping back and forth in using words like "good" and "justifiable" from the moral to the legal sense in order to make an argument that sees the rights and wants of the game companies first, the consumer second, and the retailer practically non-existent?
At least with regards to this question, I know that we have. We never claimed that we'd be value neutral as between game companies, consumers, and retailers on any given issue. We're giving our position, not outlining every possible position. That was, as I said, the whole point; to make it clear where we were coming from. So at the risk of alienating EB Games we took this position.

Why is the issue of game companies tying a purchase to a particular user/console/account/etc. not addressed, when the technology to do so is basically here, and would end the used/rented game issue overnight?
The original draft had several proposed solutions to the used/rented game issue, but our advisory board recommended we simply state our positions, not try to solve the problems.

And, again, we are trying to keep it succinct and readable. Obviously we've already published hundreds of thousands of words on topics similar to these with in-depth discussions of many of these topics.

Why do you say that "damage caused by pirates is absorbed by legitimate game consumers in the form of higher prices and, indirectly, in fewer games being made overall."?

One, aren't prices set at a level of maximal return? In other words, if selling for $30 will get three customers, $50 two, and $70 one, doesn't the company sell for $50 regardless of how many pirates there are because $100>$90>$70?
To address briefly, if a near or perfect substitute is available at lower cost, it will result in decreased demand for the product (the game). That may actually result in a near-term reduction in the game's price, as the marginal price falls to a price point that will move more units in the face of decreased demand. Long term, however, suppliers will address the decreased demand for games by lowering the number of games they create, decreasing supply. The result is higher prices and fewer games. This is not particularly controversial. If there's enough piracy, eventually production ceases virtually entirely, as it has for many IP-based products in many parts of the world.

Both you and I are engaging in an oversimplification of how prices are set, as I'm sure you know. Since different people have different economic views, I will share that I believe the best example of price theory is the austro-classical theory embodied in Geore Reisman's CAPITALISM: A Treatise on Economics. You can find it on the web as a free PDF. Having each tossed around some econ, I'm afraid I can't spend too much time trading theory here, as it's not a debate that can be resolved on the forums.

Two, are you sure fewer games are being made overall? I'm sure you're familiar with the DRM letter from Stardock about Sins of a Solar Empire, where they talked about how games get made for the market of people who will buy games and not pirate them, just like the styles of Window Blinds reflect the desires of the people who actually buy Window Blinds (or whatever it was called).

I mean, there's what--three Europe Universalis games out now, with tons of expansion packs? Didn't Mount & Blade just come out? Are you sure there are less gamings coming out because of piracy, or are there just *different* games coming out as the hobby evolves? I mean, Russ Pitts talked of an isomorphic, turn based Fallout being unplayable, but a new Fallout certainly did come out. Are you sure that when you say there are less games coming out that you're not looking at how certain styles of games are no longer coming out, while ignoring the new styles of games that are coming out, or that certain styles are more diverse than they ever were?
Certainly if one includes casual games, or what I call (and have given speeches on) "gamer snacks" the PC is far from dead as a platform. We are, in context here, refering to the sort of games that *used* to be predominantly on PC, but now are not, i.e. hardcore games.

Which leads to the question: when you say "Piracy of games has been a leading cause of the decline of the PC as a platform" what do you mean by the word "decline"? Personally, I'm continually amazed when I look at the offerings of Strategy First and Paradox, which makes it hard for me to understand how someone could say PC gaming is in decline.
Hmmm. This is almost a discussion distinct from our position, so I hesitate to get into it, but at least my personal sense is that PC gaming used to be in some way the flagship platform for AAA gaming, and it no longer is. As per your sentence below, you actually agree with me on this, and that if we'd said "decentralization" of gaming this conversation would be shorter.

Now, PC gaming isn't at the *center* of gaming like it was, but, is that really a decline? Is it a decline to see the shelves of Babbages and EB lined with used console games in place of PC games? And does that have anything to do with piracy? Or is it that it's far easier for retailers to sell a used console game than a used PC game? Or that the console has become ubiquitous and so the blockbuster games have moved from the PC to the console?
Why can't it be all of the above? We didn't say that piracy was the exclusive cause of the - ahem - "decentralization" of the PC as a platform.

And obviously the used game issue is closely related to the game piracy issue.

Maybe that word 'decline' has to be better defined--to me, it's a relative decline if anything, as new gamers tend to be console gamers and not PC gamers percentage wise. Is that the result of piracy, though? Or is that the result of consoles turning people into gamers that the PC would never have reached in the first place?
PCs are, if anything, more ubiquituous than consoles, and more casual gaming happens on PCs than on consoles (spades, tetris, etc.) So it's hard, in my opinion, to claim that consoles are inherently more casual or more mainstream than PC games.

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
incal11 said:
I'd like to know what is your official opinion about the "piracy" of 10+ years old games ?
(Oh, how much I'd love that one of the Escapist's staff answer me..)
Thank you for your answer , I actually did not expect it.
Oh, if there's one thing this staff will do, it's answer ya. They certainly give as good as they get, and aren't afraid to tangle it up.
Well, someone has to keep you entertained, Cheeze. ;)

hypothetical fact

Oct 8, 2008
In the document you stated that you believe that the value of games far outweighs the price we pay for them. So what price do you believe a game is worth paying for, when are the customers being ripped off? This is considering that Australians pay up to $120 for a new game while Americans pay half of that.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
If you look at the fourth core value, it holds as fundamental "free enterprise, or the right of individuals to buy, sell, and trade their property." What that means is that you can offer your property to others on any terms you want. So if the term 'we get full ownership & control of user-mods' is put up front and the consumer is given fair warning, if the consumer buys the property, they agree to any of the terms the seller has set. The reason is that if anyone but the person who owns the property has the power to set the terms on which the property is sold, it's not "free enterprise", it's 'less-than-free enterprise'.

Then if you look at the first core value, intellectual product is considered the same as any other kind of property as far as setting terms on any transaction.

In other words, the line where a work goes from 'derivative' to 'original' isn't set by anyone other than the person who created the source material, and they set the line in the terms of sale.
I'm not totally following this. You don't find the contradiction in a person saying they support free enterprise and an intrinsic right to intellectual property BUT supports a developer's right to have absolute ownership of anything made with a tool set they're distributing?

At what point DO the modders have a right to their own intellectual property and labor? Why does making it with a person's Engine or tools, provided the person brings a significant contribution, make it so they get no rights whatsoever with that work? I don't deny the original makers of the game or whatever have a right to some profits, but the whole thing no matter what?

And if you really want to argue that all is fair so long as they fairly warn the modders, don't be shocked if no one wants to make a mod they have no rights to.