Lifting Masks = Back to Getting Down With The Sickness

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I couldn't find any study back a few posts ago when we were talking about it, so I didn't link any of them. The studies I did find all suggested that basic cloth masks are only minorly effective in stopping Covid, while other masks like surgical or N95 type masks were much better protection. Which is why I came to the suggestion that the effect of the cloth masks was because of a shift in behavior more than it was the mask itself doing any actual work.
Cloth masks are less effective, but they're better than nothing. Once again, you're embracing the all-or-nothing fallacy.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Cloth masks are less effective, but they're better than nothing. Once again, you're embracing the all-or-nothing fallacy.
Viruses and such are always out there, why don't we always have masks on? Why not also a glove mandate too for when you visit high contact places where you touch a lot of things that a lot of other people would touch like the shopping carts at grocery stores.

We've been at nothing for six month now and everything has been fine. Some places even longer. Masks have been by far the least important part of pandemic control behind treatment improvements, and vaccines.

Covid is never going away, it's part of the viral ecosystem now. And it's going to be a part of things from time to time for the foreseeable future. When things become part of the norm, people stop being willing to take extra precautions against it. If local governments tried to bring back the mandates I think they would get a lot of pushback from people who have gotten back to normal living without issues for a long time now.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Viruses and such are always out there, why don't we always have masks on?
Because they're not all equally contagious. Durr-hey.

Covid is never going away, it's part of the viral ecosystem now. And it's going to be a part of things from time to time for the foreseeable future. When things become part of the norm, people stop being willing to take extra precautions against it. If local governments tried to bring back the mandates I think they would get a lot of pushback from people who have gotten back to normal living without issues for a long time now.
In other words, people are stupid. Well, we can agree on that much.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
The Flu, and the common cold are pretty fucking contagious. They just aren't typically serious, except when the flu kills you.
A pair of data points. Truly, what can I say against the staggering level of evidence that all viruses may as well be the same virus. /s

Covid is more contagious than the flu, and more dangerous. That's why more people are dead from Covid than from the 1918 pandemic.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Masks have been by far the least important part of pandemic control behind treatment improvements, and vaccines.
Perhaps, but that's not to say that aren't important.

Sadly, this is very true.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The stuff like the 6 people thing is what makes people call bullshit on it all. It was 6 people whether you're inside in a cramped room or in some spacious mansion dining room or outside (liberal cities closed beaches for no reason, which only increased the spread). There was clear scientific understanding that being outside is safe before the virus even got to the West, same with it not spreading on surfaces (yet wash your hands and use sanitizer constantly that did nothing but make you more sick in the long run).
Mm, no.

What happened is that a bunch complete pricks, instead of trying to consider the practicalities and constructive intent, decided instead to make mountains out of molehills and used hindsight to criticise policies born out of taking reasonable precautions to serve their ulterior political ends.

Reactions: Dalisclock

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
And you wanna know why cases "seem" to go back up when cutting back regulations? Because regulations get cut when cases have bottomed out, there's no place to go but up.
Just bound and determined to not make that correlation, huh
(yet wash your hands and use sanitizer constantly that did nothing but make you more sick in the long run).
You might want to rephrase that, else w tired person might think you were claiming that washing your hands wad bad

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Masks are dumb, one you need N95s or KN95s which cost an arm, and a leg and are hard to find. Vaccines are way better. My college, workplace, and city all don't wear masks, and the people who didn't use the 3-shot-vaccine will die, while the ones with the vaccine won't. That's Darwinism for you.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Masks are dumb, one you need N95s or KN95s which cost an arm, and a leg and are hard to find. Vaccines are way better. My college, workplace, and city all don't wear masks, and the people who didn't use the 3-shot-vaccine will die, while the ones with the vaccine won't. That's Darwinism for you.
Obviously a vaccine is better then a mask but N95 and KN95s are not hard to find or expensive. Hell, if I recall right you are from Texas, just go to HEB, I got a 20 pack of them for 20 bucks.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Obviously a vaccine is better then a mask but N95 and KN95s are not hard to find or expensive. Hell, if I recall right you are from Texas, just go to HEB, I got a 20 pack of them for 20 bucks.
Sucks for you they feel weird. So unless poison gas is being released near my city I won't wear them.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Covid is more contagious than the flu, and more dangerous. That's why more people are dead from Covid than from the 1918 pandemic.
You may need to expand on that because the end death toll for the 1918 Pandemic was 50 million people, putting ahead of COVID-19 by almost a factor of 10.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
You may need to expand on that because the end death toll for the 1918 Pandemic was 50 million people, putting ahead of COVID-19 by almost a factor of 10.
Well, technically he doesn't need to expand on it, he's just wrong. It might be more accurate to say that the covid death toll would have far ourstripped the 1918 'flu pandemic if we still had the medical technology of 1918.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Well, technically he doesn't need to expand on it, he's just wrong. It might be more accurate to say that the covid death toll would have far ourstripped the 1918 'flu pandemic if we still had the medical technology of 1918.
I was thinking that they were perhaps referring to a specific place since I thought it was well known just how badly the 1918 'flu ripped through the world.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I was thinking that they were perhaps referring to a specific place since I thought it was well known just how badly the 1918 'flu ripped through the world.
That's a fair point: I'm pretty sure the US casualties of the 1918 flu were well below covid in absolute figures (although possibly not as deaths/capita).

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
More people died from the Spanish flu than covid and it's not even close.

Mm, no.

What happened is that a bunch complete pricks, instead of trying to consider the practicalities and constructive intent, decided instead to make mountains out of molehills and used hindsight to criticise policies born out of taking reasonable precautions to serve their ulterior political ends.
We already had studies saying covid didn't spread outside or on surfaces before it came to the US. We already knew it was airborne but it was deemed airborne like a year later. Funny how at the hospitals I work at, covid patients were set to droplet protocols in fall-winter 20-21, then now it's airborne protocols fall-winter of 21-22, when Taiwan already figured that out in the initial wave in China. It's not hindsight when it was known 2 years ago. What's the point in telling everyone literally everything is dangerous? All you had to say was avoid indoor gatherings as much as possible and go outside to socialize when you can. You had people literally wiping down their groceries and cars every time they went out.

Just bound and determined to not make that correlation, huh

You might want to rephrase that, else w tired person might think you were claiming that washing your hands wad bad
What about that thread on here about Texas completely opening up and that we're all gonna die and it was months and months before cases went up in Texas because covid comes in rather predictable waves? Cases went down the exact same time in early 2021 as they are in early 2022. Then, the South will get hit in the summer when everyone goes back inside and the news will be like "look how stupid they are" and then covid will go up north in the fall and it's "there was nothing we could do".

Washing your hands more doesn't make you safer from covid. Not that you shouldn't wash your hands the normal amount but doing it more isn't gonna help. I never altered how much I wash my hands because I knew that didn't make any sense.

I'm not sure about that. The Spanish flu disproportionately attacked the young whereas covid attacked the old. And the fact that the Spanish flu killed 50 million with a world population less than a quarter of what it is today.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I'm not sure about that. The Spanish flu disproportionately attacked the young whereas covid attacked the old. And the fact that the Spanish flu killed 50 million with a world population less than a quarter of what it is today.
Just gotta ask you. Again.

What number of COVID deaths would make you take COVID seriously? As you've stated many time, 6 million is just a statistic to you. Cant be 10 million. COVID gonna reach that before its under control. 20million? Did it have to be as bad as the Spanish flu?

Or is it ratio thing? COVID only kills 5-7 times more people than the annual flu. It's gotta be over 20 times

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
We already had studies saying covid didn't spread outside or on surfaces before it came to the US.
We already know you selectively interpret studies in a way that suits you rather than is scientifically accurate.

We already knew it was airborne but it was deemed airborne like a year later.
We already know you don't understand what "airborne" means in the context of virology (even despite being explained to you many times).

It's not hindsight when it was known 2 years ago.
Sure, like it was equally "known" that hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin were useful against covid. How did that work out? False confidence, anyone?

I never altered how much I wash my hands because I knew that didn't make any sense.
You 'knew' much in the way the religious 'know' that God exists. Which is to say you and they don't know at all. You and they just don't understand the difference between knowledge and belief.