Lifting Masks = Back to Getting Down With The Sickness

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Just gotta ask you. Again.

What number of COVID deaths would make you take COVID seriously? As you've stated many time, 6 million is just a statistic to you. Cant be 10 million. COVID gonna reach that before its under control. 20million? Did it have to be as bad as the Spanish flu?

Or is it ratio thing? COVID only kills 5-7 times more people than the annual flu. It's gotta be over 20 times
When it's past society's level of acceptable risk. Covid is under control in vaccinated countries. Almost nobody thinks the risk of covid post-immunity is worth changing their life for. My risk of death from a car accident is far higher than it is from covid, why would I change my life based on that much lower risk when I already partake in something much higher risk every single day? You all fail to realize that actually getting to covid zero will cost far more lives than covid.

We already know you selectively interpret studies in a way that suits you rather than is scientifically accurate.

We already know you don't understand what "airborne" means in the context of virology (even despite being explained to you many times).

Sure, like it was equally "known" that hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin were useful against covid. How did that work out? False confidence, anyone?

You 'knew' much in the way the religious 'know' that God exists. Which is to say you and they don't know at all. You and they just don't understand the difference between knowledge and belief.
What studies show covid spreads outside or on surfaces in any significant manner?

If I don't know what airborne means, then why do the covid rooms at hospitals now have the airborne precaution and require N95s to go into the room? I guess you better tell hospitals they don't know what airborne means as well. I really don't get why you're trying to argue that I was wrong about covid being airborne when it very much is airborne.

I never said either of them worked. I said there were mechanical reasons for them to help just like you say masks have mechanisms to work and don't have any good study showing they work in the real world.

It's very known that washing your hands doesn't help prevent covid (maybe it lowers it like 0.000001% but nothing at all significant).

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
When it's past society's level of acceptable risk. Covid is under control in vaccinated countries. Almost nobody thinks the risk of covid post-immunity is worth changing their life for. My risk of death from a car accident is far higher than it is from covid, why would I change my life based on that much lower risk when I already partake in something much higher risk every single day? You all fail to realize that actually getting to covid zero will cost far more lives than covid.
No. Opening up after vaccines have done a lot of damage to my countries economy. My economy was going pretty well until we opened up. And it's going to kill people

Also, the US inflation problem is partially a problem NOW because restrictions have been reduced. The restriction did have impacts on the economy but no where near as much as not having restrictions. The restrictions were put in place to maintain the economy as best we could.

A lot of people are dying unrelated to COVID because we OPENED up. I.e. Now you've got people dying to Covid-19 AND all those issue you kept worry about. Domestic violence hasn't magically dropped. Nor has suicides. Everyone is having trouble finding the food they need. Pretending it's 2019 won't help anyone

Edit: And don't get me started on schools. This has been a useless fucked up year so far, significantly more than the last two, where my kids aren't learning much because teachers and kids are constantly sick

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Just seems like nothing new is being discussed here that wasn't six months ago.
Welcome to the state of the real world right now. The only reason why this is going over so long, cuz so many people don't want to, and refuse to take it seriously, until something bad happens to them, or somebody they actually care about. History repeats for those that refused to listen or learn. Many cases out of foolish pride, human corporate greed, hiding behind religion, hiding behind machoism or feminism, constantly sucking Trump's dick, or just being plain lazy, uncaring, and apathetic.

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Well, the problem is that we still have people who are saying "all those experts are lying; I know the truth, and you are all fools for not exalting my wisdom". And if these people are not countered and shown to be the morons that they are, someone might believe them, and the world will become more stupid.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
For me personally, my country opened up about six months ago so some of the things Fox News claimed about restrictions has, at least in my country, proven to be false and most of the time the opposite happened

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
For me personally, my country opened up about six months ago so some of the things Fox News claimed about restrictions has, at least in my country, proven to be false and most of the time the opposite happened
I dunno, I can only speak for my own experience but aside from the coffee shop I go to, none of the places I go to are doing the strict masking and cleaning and distancing and everyone seems fine and is going about their business. A big old shrug from me. I'm not a chatterbox or big on in person conversation but no one I know at work or in private talks about covid outside of if it's on the news either so it just seems like my state has kinda moved on for the most part?

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Just a heads up, at my college graduation, people were packed together tightly, most without wearing a mask. If all the colleges did the same thing, we could be looking at a fresh covid wave soon.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I dunno, I can only speak for my own experience but aside from the coffee shop I go to, none of the places I go to are doing the strict masking and cleaning and distancing and everyone seems fine and is going about their business. A big old shrug from me. I'm not a chatterbox or big on in person conversation but no one I know at work or in private talks about covid outside of if it's on the news either so it just seems like my state has kinda moved on for the most part?
When I say open up, I mean no masks and doing international travel again. Even if you parent/kid/partner is sick with Covid, you can go to work/school

Covid is just impacting many people's work. Like, at my work, we've had about 8 weeks in a row when one person is sick. So productivity is down. This has not happened since about May 2020. I got Covid in Jan. I've been on proscribed stimulants to make sure I can get through a day of work... for 4mths now. So my productivity is down

Schools probably more important for me. My kids had so many relief teachers and they've combined classes due to so many kids qnd teachers being sick. We haven't had this since about June 2020

I'm not saying we shouldn't be open. It's been 2 years and most are vaxxed, so I understand. I'm just point out the damage Covid is doing to the economy

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Because the world backed off production for two years, and the stockpiles emptied
If the world was capable of replicating production from 2019, it would. You can make way more money for the same 2019 level of production.

But it can't. That's the cost of having 7 million die in two years from a disease

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Republicans told Biden that it was help Ukraine or help US with covid, and he decided to believe them and went for Ukraine aid and maybe covid later if the GOP plays nice.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
What studies show covid spreads outside or on surfaces in any significant manner?
Transmission through surfaces is known be low probability, now. But until this was firmly established it was (and to some extent remains) a reasonable precaution.

If I don't know what airborne means, then why do the covid rooms at hospitals now have the airborne precaution and require N95s to go into the room? I guess you better tell hospitals they don't know what airborne means as well. I really don't get why you're trying to argue that I was wrong about covid being airborne when it very much is airborne.
You say no-one knew what airborne means, because in virology there is a distinction between "aerosol" and "airborne". Aerosol was quickly established, airborne took much longer. Fucking hell. We've been over this months ago, do you not remember?

I never said either of them worked.
You certainly did for HCQ. You spent a huge amount of arguing for why it worked, presenting a ton of (bad) studies claiming so. And even when evidence mounted up showing its uselessness, you just retreated to smaller claims (e.g. that HCQ was useful but only in early covid). You were wrong. And now you're just lying about it.

For ivermectin you were a little more cautious, but you were still advocating mass drug taking defended against the balance of evidence for its effectiveness.

Reactions: BrawlMan

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
If the world was capable of replicating production from 2019, it would. You can make way more money for the same 2019 level of production.

But it can't. That's the cost of having 7 million die in two years from a disease
80% of those deaths were beyond retirement age. The population has gone up. The workforces didn't all die, and I would suspect many sectors have well eclipsed 2019 levels of production by now. But prior to the pandemic, distribution chains had stockpiles of goods that built up when demand was low and offered a buffer when demand for things were high. This surplus of stuff got us through 2020 without world crushing shortages, but now the buffer is missing and demand is all the way back. If you see something missing from the grocery shelf, chances are there's not a lack of production to meet demand, but rather a lack of sufficient overstock to grease the logistics of the supply chain.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
But prior to the pandemic, distribution chains had stockpiles of goods that built up when demand was low and offered a buffer when demand for things were high. This surplus of stuff got us through 2020 without world crushing shortages, but now the buffer is missing and demand is all the way back.
I don't know how true this is.

Years ago, companies tended to have loads of spare stock. But this has declined considerably because these days with better communications and transport, there is a greater facility for immediate and responsive supply and demand of goods: after all, overproduction and warehouses for stock cost money. Doing away with them has saved companies costs. Covid was notable because it exposed precisely this fragility of many supply chains to disruption.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I don't know how true this is.

Years ago, companies tended to have loads of spare stock. But this has declined considerably because these days with better communications and transport, there is a greater facility for immediate and responsive supply and demand of goods: after all, overproduction and warehouses for stock cost money. Doing away with them has saved companies costs. Covid was notable because it exposed precisely this fragility of many supply chains to disruption.
In this regard, I suppose I can only speak to my situation locally with any direct knowledge. In my part of the world, we are building more warehouses quite rapidly. I don't disagree with your assessment on the lessons learned from covid, but in just my limited experience, warehouses and distribution hubs have been big money for the last decade or so. Hell, we just got a shiny new gamestop warehouse, which is honestly a bit shocking on multiple levels, but it may just be an idiosyncrasy of this area as a pretty solid crossroads from 4 or 5 major cities.