Lightning Could Appear in Future Final Fantasy's

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
To be fair, the piece I linked was from a site that deals largely in satire. I don't know what the deal really is either.

antigodoflife

Nov 12, 2009
Sidmen said:
Maybe Lightning loses a lot in the translation to English, but she was my 2nd-least liked character from XIII, right above that whiny little boy whose name I can't be bothered to remember. Heck, I've even ignored the rest of the XIII line because I was informed she would feature prominently in the rest of its arc.
How do you forget Hope's name, he's used as the games main metaphor and they non-ironically use the word hope around Hope every 10 fucking sentences. Dude I think your brain's trying to hide trauma.

Also, who are these people that are asking for more FFXIII and more Lightning. Final Fantasy XIII sold >1,000,000 units, Final Fantasy XIII-2 sold 524,000 copies and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII sold 277,000 units in their respective first weeks in Japan. Each game sold half of the previous title, even people in Japan seem to be sick of this crap. Let 13 and Lightning die already, God.

I'm sorry, that was uncharacteristically mean of me. It's just been a while since I played a decent game from my favourite JRPG franchise and well, ever since I started playing JRPGs, I felt that Yoshinori Kitase and Motomu Toriyama were just hacks who were lucky enough to be allowed to make games, over talented people like Hiroyuki Ito, Hiroshi Minagawa, Tetsuya Nomura and Takashi Tokita.

What ever happened to Takashi Tokita?

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
And where is Penelo's game!?

Lightning though is too grumpy as a main for me. (Only played 13)
Fang seemed a more interesting character in the game out of the party.

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
The only character I find vaguely welcome in Lightning Returns is Lumina, and that's basically coz she seems to like trolling everyone. If they dialled that up, I wouldn't mind seeing more of her.

Jack Nief

Nov 18, 2011
Just to swim against the current, I'd like the idea of seeing Lightning in FFT-style cameos... I just hope Toriyama doesn't write the story. He's got a way of taking a simple plot and making it annoyingly complicated and 'deep'.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
I always found Lightning to be the least interesting character in 13 and was only interesting in 13-2 because of how bland Noel and Serah were. However, I certainly didn't dislike her and if they have a valid reason for her to come back then I'm all for it. Plus, I like to think of this as a giant middle finger to all the people who have endlessly complained about the 13 series, which brings a smile to my face

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013

No more Lightning! She's just a plain boring character that doesn't need to turn up in any other games, even if she's a cameo. We had an entire console gen with her and her games, so please! just focus on the newest cast for the eventual FF15 instead.
Someone just give Toriyama a Lightning Dakimakura already.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Uratoh said:
Which Toriyama is this, anyway? Not the same one of DBZ/DQ art fame, is it?
The DBZ one's Akira Toriyama, this one's the awful version that just keeps trying to push a character which he claims is the one and only representation of a good/strong female lead. Yet they make her boobs bigger and added "pole-dancing" to the latest game...

Jack Nief

Nov 18, 2011
Grabehn said:
Uratoh said:
Which Toriyama is this, anyway? Not the same one of DBZ/DQ art fame, is it?
The DBZ one's Akira Toriyama, this one's the awful version that just keeps trying to push a character which he claims is the one and only representation of a good/strong female lead. Yet they make her boobs bigger and added "pole-dancing" to the latest game...
Pole dancing? You mean the pole slide? I agree it's a pointless addition, but it's hardly a dance.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
Every time I've seen her she comes across as a completely unlikeable *****. It seems I'm not the only one that feels this way.

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
While I can agree that Lightning is getting old now(and that's coming from someone with XIII in their top 5 Final Fantasy games), one thing people need to remember: Square Enix's main audience absolutely adores her and the XIII saga in general. Pretty much take the love you'll see Western gamers throw at the feet of VII, double it, and you have Japan's love of XIII. It's kind of like how the West was pretty receptive to XII but Japan wasn't keen on it. I remember seeing some character and game polls about a month or so back on some gaming forums for Japan's favorites, and Lightning and XIII both won handily. I'll see if I can dig them up again and link them here.

Interestingly it's been especially popular in the cosplay community there. My girlfriend and I regularly get issues of cosplay magazines like Cosmode, and where before there was a nice mixture of Final Fantasy cosplays it's now mostly dominated by XIII cosplays with a few sprinklings of the others here and there.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
I just dong get the whole lighting thing, she has the most generic arc ever she is basically just cloud with boobs tell you can even get a cloud outfit for her.

I mean fine one game i could take that not an amazing character but i could live with that if the game was good but 3 games and cameos to come ?

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
Okey being a uge non fan of Final Fantasy in general, and being familliar with Lightning character from Spoony review of FFXIII. I still have to wonder... Does there even his anything likable about this character? Even forgetting all the non sense bullshit that was all around her and for a matter the whole FFXIII plot?

I'm just asking because like i said, i don,t know much about it

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
Oh, for crying out loud. Part of what always made Final Fantasy so great was how each world was different, unique, and most importantly a stand-alone product. That's what made me hate X-2, that's part of what made me hate XIII-2, that's what's making me refuse to play Lightning Returns. It's always cool to see what new crazy world they create, going from the flying buildings of FFVIII to the medieval-ish world of FFIX and so on.

Then there's an entire goddamn console generation where Squeenix decides not only to create the dullest world and character roster it's pretty much ever had, but to carry it on for the entire goddamn 8 years. OK, I can deal with that. I played XIII, I stopped an hour or two into XIII-2, and will not play Lightning Returns. Who cares?

But now, you're bringing this into the rest of your games? Come the fuck on, Squeenix. Create something new, without having to find a reason for Lightning (who is the most boring protagonist you've had since the NES Final Fantasy III, I might add) to show up. Give us something exciting, something we all know you can create, because for 13 games, that is exactly what you did, and you did it masterfully.

maidenm

Jul 3, 2012
Khanht Cope said:
Though if the stuff like this that goes around is anything to go by:

http://www.p4rgaming.com/motomu-toriyama-frustrated-by-girlfriend-refusing-to-dress-up-as-lightning-for-the-third-time/

Then maybe there is some delusion going on.
That... that is just so silly it borders on parody. Hireing prostitutes... just to get them to dress as Lightning? Accidentally calling his girlfriend Lightning? "Seven out of ten is a wonderful score for this game because seven is Lightning's favorite number."

Either there is a lot of delusion or The Onion is branching out.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012

Look at all these F**ks I no longer give, Toriyama. Look at them. I used to have F**ks to give about the FF franchise, but I don't have anymore.
It's been almost a decade now since I had any F**ks to give about Final Fantasy, so I'm glad for you that your Waifu gets to be in more games.

GoodNewsOke

Jan 30, 2014
I don't get it. I understand that people have different tastes and all, but Lightning was just so bland in my eyes. Her design in XIII was quite cool though.

And how exactly is her popularity measured anyway? Weren't the last two installments commercially less and less successful? Wouldn't the "famous Lightning" be enough to at least carry an entire game dedicated to her and make it somewhat financially successful?

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Wait, Lightning is popular? I only played through a few hours of XIII and found her annoying and all I hear from other people is that she's not a good character at all. Plus aren't the XIII selling badly?

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
antigodoflife said:
Also, who are these people that are asking for more FFXIII and more Lightning. Final Fantasy XIII sold >1,000,000 units, Final Fantasy XIII-2 sold 524,000 copies and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII sold 277,000 units in their respective first weeks in Japan. Each game sold half of the previous title, even people in Japan seem to be sick of this crap. Let 13 and Lightning die already, God.

I'm sorry, that was uncharacteristically mean of me. It's just been a while since I played a decent game from my favourite JRPG franchise and well, ever since I started playing JRPGs, I felt that Yoshinori Kitase and Motomu Toriyama were just hacks who were lucky enough to be allowed to make games, over talented people like Hiroyuki Ito, Hiroshi Minagawa, Tetsuya Nomura and Takashi Tokita.

What ever happened to Takashi Tokita?
blizzaradragon said:
While I can agree that Lightning is getting old now(and that's coming from someone with XIII in their top 5 Final Fantasy games), one thing people need to remember: Square Enix's main audience absolutely adores her and the XIII saga in general. Pretty much take the love you'll see Western gamers throw at the feet of VII, double it, and you have Japan's love of XIII. It's kind of like how the West was pretty receptive to XII but Japan wasn't keen on it. I remember seeing some character and game polls about a month or so back on some gaming forums for Japan's favorites, and Lightning and XIII both won handily. I'll see if I can dig them up again and link them here.
These two statements seems rather contrary; could either of you post a link to some chart or newsite as a source?

Captcha: leave britney alone.

Ok, the internet is officially self-aware. And I for one welcome our new AI overlords.

Mastemat

Jul 18, 2010
Trishbot said:
If she shows up in Final Fantasy 15, I'd probably self-implode.
You DO realize that FF"XV" is actually a part of the FFXIII fanta nova crysabullshit?
It's why I have TERRRIBAD suspicions about it... You don't just take from that shitfest of a "franchise".... that was so bad that one of the unfinished games got axed... change the name of said unfinished title... and then expect something different from XIII do you?
Cause I sure don't.

If FFXV has nothing to do with FFXIII... as in, they gutted the entire thing and remade the entire world and story from scratch...
Then it will be in the same vein as all the other FFs: each numbered FF is separate and different.
But given how "lol lightning is totes gonna be in other FFs"...
I'm betting that this was a trollspoiler for FFXV...
Cause FFXV is formerly a part of FFXIII.