Lightning Could Appear in Future Final Fantasy's

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Colt47 said:
Final Fantasy XIII has gone from being a terrible game, to becoming a series that is the video game equivalent of the Resident Evil live action films?
that comparison is exactly where my mind went, as well. All Toriyama would need to do at this point is poll fans the world over to see which characters from the entire franchise are their most favorite, then put all their favorites into a giant crossover game so they can stand around doing nothing while Lightning saves the day, and Lightning's transformation into Alice would be complete.

Aiddon said:
Well, the thing is this: she's popular. For now. She's mostly prominent due to being so recent, not because she's a good character. In a few years she'll just fade to the back like her predecessors did, being inevitably being replaced by newer characters. It's probably part of the reason Toriyama is trying to keep her in stuff; the second she doesn't she'll just become irrelevant and vanish into obscurity. Which is the fate of all flavors of the month.
This is true. I recall Yuna developing quite an enormous cult of personality following, as well. Her prominence was a big reason we got the first direct sequel in the series' history. In a way, the heroine that japan fawns over is like a time capsule for trendy sensibilities. From the moe-moe blob in the early 00s, to the tsundere action girl today.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
tehroc said:
The only thing I liked about Lightning is she wasn't a whiny androgynous protagonist like almost every other modern JRPG in existence.
Be serious; it's only the males that are androgynous, whiny twats. The females are super-powered, magic wielding, DD strippers.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
2xDouble said:
I don't think people understand what cameos are. I would like to remind people that Vaan and Penelo, significantly less interesting characters, featured prominently as guest characters in Final Fantasy Tactics A2, and Cloud has "appeared" in pretty much every Final Fantasy since 7, including Tactics and XIII-3. Appearing in a game is not the same as starring in or impacting the game.

This announcement is nothing new, and certainly nothing to get upset or excited about.
Cloud never showed up in FF8, FF9, FF10, FF10-2, FF11, FF12, FF13, or FF14. I don't see how this is "nothing new".

The only character to truly show up in multiple main FF titles is Gilgamesh. And it should stay that way.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Yes!
The greatest Waifu Sue in existence will live on!
Nothing can stop her!

Destiny truly is destiny!

I don't really see how it's that big of a deal though, cameos are harmless.
I mean, It's not like she's just gonna jump in from nowhere and play a significant part in the story of future games in the series right?
I mean... They wouldn't do that right?

No! No... Th... they wouldn't...

[sub].......[/sub]

[sub]Right?[/sub]

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Aiddon said:
Well, the thing is this: she's popular. For now. She's mostly prominent due to being so recent, not because she's a good character. In a few years she'll just fade to the back like her predecessors did, being inevitably being replaced by newer characters. It's probably part of the reason Toriyama is trying to keep her in stuff; the second she doesn't she'll just become irrelevant and vanish into obscurity. Which is the fate of all flavors of the month.
This is hung over his office wall:

"She must not be forgotten."

I'm dead serious.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I will never understand why Lightning is so beloved amongst Square Enix. She's boring beyond belief at best. I wonder if Cloud & Squall were equally adored during their time to shine. Maybe every character who isn't a moody suicidal "just-sucked-on-a-lemon" jerk is seen as a failure in their books.

Inazuma1

Professional Asshole
Legacy
Nov 18, 2009
Hell
Sidmen said:
Lightning was my 2nd-least liked character from XIII, right above that whiny little boy whose name I can't be bothered to remember.
FF XIII didn't have a likable character in the bunch. The best it can accomplish is least annoying and the winner there is a toss up between Fang or Sazh. The increased focus on Lightning is simple pandering to the Japanese's collective circle jerk over her, and we're being forced to watch. So get comfortable and watch the wank to come.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
I would normally rage what a lunatic this guy is and how stupid SE is for keeping him around etc. and so on but tbh I?m kind of past that.
SE and Toriyama keep going on, continue with whatever you think you are doing to your heart?s content! - I no longer give a fuck about you.

Isra

May 7, 2013
Lightning is popular? I can't understand why.
She's got the emotional range of a dalek and the character depth of a twilight extra.
I guess if you put a nice pair of tits and a pink wig on a robot, millions of people will fall in love with it. Millions of Japanese people anyway. Hopefully some day soon they'll be able to buy robots with tits and wigs from vending machines, and there won't be a need to star them in video games. Maybe then we can have a real female lead with an actual personality.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
I really like her design, but from what I saw the dialogue is bad and she needed a better writer.

KingdomFantasyXIII

Apr 4, 2012
I find it absolutely hilarious that people are whining about this and don't understand what he means. Square already said that single number titled games will not have characters from other universes visit FF games. This explains why Cloud and Squall were never in XIII-2 or LR. They stated that it would confuse the fans and would in turn make no sense. They only said creatures like Gilgamesh, Omega Weapon, Ultros, etc. They could make a reference to her like how Zidane referenced Cloud and Sephiroth in FF9 or they might do skins of her costume to female characters, but they won't plop her into other games.

He's talking about such games as Tactics, Dissidia, Theaterythem, Kingdom Hearts, MMO guest appearances etc. Where it appropriate to see said character.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
You know, I was okay with the whole stupid ass XIII series. It's obviously someone's bag and XV has nothing to do with it. It was bad enough the chick was in XIV or something, not relaly sure but someone said it earlier and I'll accept it. It also fits with what i've seen around here and there.

But this? Nah. Unless it's Dissidia or Kingdom Hearts or "LOOK AT ALL THE CHARACTERS COME BACK FOR SHENANIGANS THE GAME", can we just have her done and gone with. It's bad enough she's literally time jesus and has all the character of a grain of rice.

KingdomFantasyXIII

Apr 4, 2012
Doomsdaylee said:
KingdomFantasyXIII said:
I find it absolutely hilarious that people are whining about this and don't understand what he means. Square already said that single number titled games will not have characters from other universes visit FF games. This explains why Cloud and Squall were never in XIII-2 or LR. They stated that it would confuse the fans and would in turn make no sense. They only said creatures like Gilgamesh, Omega Weapon, Ultros, etc. They could make a reference to her like how Zidane referenced Cloud and Sephiroth in FF9 or they might do skins of her costume to female characters, but they won't plop her into other games.

He's talking about such games as Tactics, Dissidia, Theaterythem, Kingdom Hearts, MMO guest appearances etc. Where it appropriate to see said character.
Oh, I can't wait to see your face when Lightning is a quest giver in XV, or hailed as a god or some stupid shit. .
Nah, that's not going to happen. If they won't do that to Cloud and Squall in XIII-2 (which was more than a monumental time to do that), they won't do it now.

Nomura is the one working on FF15 and he wants his world to be an adventure about Noctis and Co. He might made a reference to FF13 in his game, but he won't mix game characters from two different games universes together (unless it's Kingdom Hearts). He knows this well

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
Khanht Cope said:
http://www.p4rgaming.com/motomu-toriyama-frustrated-by-girlfriend-refusing-to-dress-up-as-lightning-for-the-third-time/

Then maybe there is some delusion going on.
This surprises me for two reasons.
One, Toriyama has a girlfriend and two, he's not the one dressing up as Lightning for their bedtime role playing.

KingdomFantasyXIII

Apr 4, 2012
Cybylt said:
Khanht Cope said:
http://www.p4rgaming.com/motomu-toriyama-frustrated-by-girlfriend-refusing-to-dress-up-as-lightning-for-the-third-time/

One, Toriyama has a girlfriend and two, he's not the one dressing up as Lightning for their bedtime role playing.
That's P4R gaming, it's a parody website. They are the National Inquisitor or tabloid news stand of the internet

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
KingdomFantasyXIII said:
Cybylt said:
Khanht Cope said:

That's P4R gaming, it's a parody website. They are the National Inquisitor or tabloid news stand of the internet
Never heard of them before. And the fact that the article is rather believable says a lot about Toriyama.