Lightning Could Appear in Future Final Fantasy's

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Lightning Could Appear in Future Final Fantasy's

Lightning Returns director Motomu Toriyama says that there's a "possibility that Lightning would appear" in future Final Fantasy games.

While we're sure that the company has many favorite characters from its various games, it might not be a stretch to say that Square Enix has a bit of a thing for Lightning. The main protagonist of Final Fantasy XIII, she was just recently given a starring a role in the final game of the XIII trilogy: Lightning Returns. As if that wasn't enough time in the sun however, the company has recently revealed that Lightning could make appearances in future Final Fantasy's as well.

"For Lightning, her story ends here in Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, as this game is meant as a finale to this series. But we know that Lightning is an extremely popular character, even when compared to other Final Fantasy characters," said Lightning Returns director Motomu Toriyama. "So there is a possibility that Lightning would appear in other future Final Fantasy titles, not as a protagonist, but as a guest character."

The question, of course, is exactly what "guest character" will mean. For instance, if Toriyama simply means that the character will be making subtle cameos in future games then that's something we can get down with. In fact, it'd be more than a little cool for the company to do that with other characters from the franchise's extensive library. That said, if he means that there will be some forced in sequence where Lightning inexplicably appears and saves day or something, we'd really rather pass on that. It's not that seeing Lighting in action isn't cool and all, it's just that she's had her time. Recognizable and profitable as she may be, we're ready for something different from Final Fantasy.

Source: <a href=http://www.siliconera.com/2014/02/14/lightnings-story-truly-may-guest-future-final-fantasy/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+siliconera%2FMkOc+%28Siliconera%29>Siliconera

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I'll honestly never understand the love that Japan has for Lightning to be honest. I mean, as long as Lightning is just one of those optional side characters like how the Tactics games did for characters like Balthier and Cloud. If she ends up somehow becoming a main important character then I will be upset because one of the things I liked about Final Fantasy was that there generally aren't returning characters between the different numbered installments unless it is a cameo (Cid and Gilgamesh notwithstanding).

One thing that we probably can guarantee from this though that Lightning is probably gonna be in Kingdom Hearts 3...

anthony87 said:
Goddammit...she really is Toriyama's waifu at this stage isn't she?
Is it Toriyama who has the supposed shrine to Lightning in his office, or was that someone else?

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
I'm quite fond of but a little burned out of Lightning. She's definitely a cool character but her emotional grind is absolutely exhausting. It might be neat to see her pop in other games in the series a la Biggs and Wedge or Gilgamesh, though.

Sidmen

Jul 3, 2012
Maybe Lightning loses a lot in the translation to English, but she was my 2nd-least liked character from XIII, right above that whiny little boy whose name I can't be bothered to remember. Heck, I've even ignored the rest of the XIII line because I was informed she would feature prominently in the rest of its arc.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
She should have stayed the strong mostly silent type who just looks really good compared to the whiny little jerk who's the lead for the game. She doesn't have the range to lead her own game.

So Japan just turned her into another dressup doll. Problem solved! But it doesn't carry a game. Fine for cameos, I guess.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011

Stop it, Toriyama! Just STOP!

It's bad enough we wasted an ENTIRE console generation on Final Fantasy 13 and Lightning and their horribly lackluster games.

Even if it was a character I LIKED, like Vivi or Auron or Rydia or Locke, if you just shoved those characters in our face for nearly a decade, and refused to move on, I'd grow to hate them. But it only sucks more since Lightning was NEVER a good character from the start.

Given all the seriously creepy quotes he's claimed about her, from how she's the perfect woman, how she's the "first" strong female protagonist, how she's an "icon" of Japanese gaming, how she's the "face" of Square Enix, how she's "extremely popular" (despite her newest game being outsold in Japan by a port of the 13 year old Final Fantasy X and the brand new IP of Bravely Default), how he's printed off a giant picture of her that hangs over the whole office with statements like "it's like she's there supporting us" and "she must never be forgotten", on and on and on... he's delusional.

The fact this idiot is the same hack who utterly butchered the Parasite Eve franchise, and is one of the key members on the "Final Fantasy Quality Assurance Team" (I'm sure his standards are VERY high...), only fills my fangirl heart with rage and loathing.

Lightning is a bad character, from a bad game series, who had THREE whole games dedicated to making players care about her and it failed THREE separate times. Not even CLOUD got his own follow-up game.

If I never see Lightning again, it'll be too soon. I'm sure she'll pop up in Kingdom Hearts 3. She's already popped up in Final Fantasy 14. If she shows up in Final Fantasy 15, I'd probably self-implode.

Just baffling. Why? WHY is she still around? And don't give me the "Japanese audience loves her". No they don't. Again, sales of her games have plummeted release after release to the point that they're utterly laughable (Dirge of Cerberus sold better than Lightning Returns did at launch).

Nomura, it's all on you. Final Fantasy 15 better be a home run. Just be sure to file a restraining order against Motomu Toriyama. He shouldn't be allowed within 100 meters of the game.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
Trishbot said:

It's bad enough we wasted an ENTIRE console generation on Final Fantasy 13 and Lightning and their horribly lackluster games.

Even if it was a character I LIKED, like Vivi or Auron or Rydia or Locke, if you just shoved those characters in our face for nearly a decade, and refused to move on, I'd grow to hate them. But it only sucks more since Lightning was NEVER a good character from the start. SNIP
Pretty much this. Though I will add that Square's current troubles largely do stem from the departure of Sakaguchi. I mean, that man was a true artist, and despite some missteps along the way, he knew how to make lovable characters. The current SquareEnix simply apes Sakaguchi mindlessly, without understanding even the slightest concepts of what made his games great.

Believe me my escapist brothers ans sisters, as much as it might hurt, it may be time for a divorce from SquareEnix. It really is all for the best.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
Which Toriyama is this, anyway? Not the same one of DBZ/DQ art fame, is it?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Uratoh said:
Which Toriyama is this, anyway? Not the same one of DBZ/DQ art fame, is it?
No, that's Akira Toriyama, this is a completely different person. Toriyama is a fairly common last name in Japanese like Yamada or Tokugawa but I can see how some people might get confused. Whenever Akira Toriyama does a game you can tell because the art style of the game will reflect it because he generally designs the characters and enemies.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Rule 63 Cloud is NOT someone I want having a cameo in future games.

Then, again, I doubt it matters.

FF is dead to me.
Love live Atlus.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009

Because I had to add another one to this thread.

Unless they are making her a skin swap DLC or something, I just don't understand why they really want to bring back a character that represents a constant dumping on the franchise. Seriously, just let this thing, that pretends it's a character, die already!

It used to be a reset every game, now they seem invested in making sequels for utter garbage. I swear, Square is just taking the piss right now. Ever since they lost the talent that created Mistwalker, they don't know their arses from their elbows. I wouldn't even care that much, except Mistwalker hasn't done much either.

Tanis said:
Rule 63 Cloud is NOT someone I want having a cameo in future games.

Then, again, I doubt it matters.

FF is dead to me.
Love live Atlus.
Amen brother! Does anyone even like this travesty of a "character?"

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Can we NOT do that please. I liked FFXIII, I was ambivalent about XIII-2, Lightning's return was pants. Can we please just stop with lightning.
Don't get me wrong I like lightning as a character. I often feel that people who didn't like her character barely played FFXIII and as a result completely missed the point of her character, or just have weird taste, but enough is enough.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
Lightning has no personality and I wish that she would stop getting forced down our throats. The only reason she's even popular is because SE told everyone that she's popular. >>

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Haven't you had enough of ruining Square Enix and Final Fantasy Toriyama?

YOUR MIND ISN'T REALITY.

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
Trishbot said:

Given all the seriously creepy quotes he's claimed about her, from how she's the perfect woman, how she's the "first" strong female protagonist, how she's an "icon" of Japanese gaming, how she's the "face" of Square Enix, how she's "extremely popular" (despite her newest game being outsold in Japan by a port of the 13 year old Final Fantasy X and the brand new IP of Bravely Default), how he's printed off a giant picture of her that hangs over the whole office with statements like "it's like she's there supporting us" and "she must never be forgotten", on and on and on... he's delusional.

The fact this idiot is the same hack who utterly butchered the Parasite Eve franchise, and is one of the key members on the "Final Fantasy Quality Assurance Team" (I'm sure his standards are VERY high...), only fills my fangirl heart with rage and loathing.
Perhaps there's something that gets lost in translation when the FF13 series goes west; because even when trying to give the Lightning Returns demo the benefit of the doubt, her VA really is as flat as a pancake and on top of that the script seems awkward and hollow at best. For that matter, most of the English voice cast seem to have ceased giving a f*ck (if they ever did in the first place).

From what I've heard, the FF13 series has supposedly been sustained by resilient popularity in Japan; so maybe some proper voice-work can genuinely help somewhat with the lifting for the story & characters, which appear sterile and suffer for execution, though some plot elements have potential conceptually.

Though if the stuff like this that goes around is anything to go by:

http://www.p4rgaming.com/motomu-toriyama-frustrated-by-girlfriend-refusing-to-dress-up-as-lightning-for-the-third-time/

Then maybe there is some delusion going on.

Chatboy 91

Feb 25, 2011
StewShearer said:
While we're sure that the company has many favorite characters from its various games, it might not be a stretch to say that Square Enix has a bit of a thing for Lightning.
Ohhh, no, no. Square Enix doesn't have a thing for Lightning. Fucking Toriyama does. His adoration for Lightning has reached critical mass and at this point is both pathetic and creepy.

The ONLY reason I'm remotely interested in FFXV is that Toriyama doesn't have a hand in it. Having Nomura direct it is one of the smartest things Square has done in recent memory.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Does Toriyama really that big of a crush on Lightning? Or is that just an exaggeration people like to make?

If the whole thing between him and Lightning is true then I kinda worry about Square Enix's future. Major business decisions being made by a man who worships a fictional character. That would be one for the history books.

Anyway, personally, I thought FFXIII was okay for what it was. Although it definitely didn't need a sequel and it's kinda clear that the majority of the people who played the game absolutely despised it. So why even bother trying to make games that relatively few people actually want?