Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy Has New Trailer, Release Date

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy Has New Trailer, Release Date

You know what she is, and you know what she wants.

The latest trailer for Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13 is out, and it features a quick glimpse of returning character Snow, but also features some unwelcome news: the release date has slipped a bit. Previously it was scheduled for a 2013 release [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119461-Lightning-Returns-in-a-Shorter-More-Action-Oriented-Final-Fantasy], but now it's down for a February 2014 launch.

You'll be trying to avert disaster, in this doomsday clock scenario. There are only thirteen days left before everything goes smash, but if you play your cards right you can adjust the timer by completing certain tasks. However some events actually push the clock forward rather than back, so you'll need to be careful in deciding which things to do, or you'll end up rushing yourself towards the final curtain. Series mainstay Lightning is set to have a happy ending this time out, but as for the rest of the world, only you can mitigate the oncoming apocalypse.

This title is set for release on Xbox 360 and PS3.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Oh hey, remember that sequel nobody wanted to the game that nobody loved?

Here's another!

I'm not sure what it'll take to convince them that XIII's sales, although respectable, represented the last hurrah of many people's brand loyalty and *not* genuine interest in or affection for this particular iteration of Final Fantasy.

One failed sequel obviously wasn't enough.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
I liked the first two games, enjoyed 13-2 much more than the first. Shame to hear about the delayed date but I'll pick it up eventually.

Whilst there's not a *huge* amount of love for this trilogy as such, it'll be interesting to see how it all ends in this finale. Also more gorgeous CGI is a bonus for me, studying animation :3

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
You know, this could be OK. It looks nice enough. But I am so tired of the emo characters they are keeping around. I'm tired of Lightning's raspy voice and how she talks without saying or explaining anything pretty much all the time. And that music, this team loves elevator music. They used it in every single iteration of FF13 and it's bad. Also, I thought this was supposed to be an action title, this looks like more of the same but with only a single character. Suffice it to say, Square Enix is a bit detached from their audience I think. I could be wrong though, maybe it'll all be awesome. Though I am filled with doubt seeing the next Deus Ex game as a mobile game has kind of destroyed my confidence in them to make any project well.

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012
Sucks it's been delayed. That's this and dark souls now. I still don't like the default outfit (or what seems to be the default outfit) but from what I've read various outfits are available.

Also, I wonder if versus XIII will make an appearance at E3?

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
*rolls around in the who cares bucket*

Iiiii do not like Lightning, Iiiii do not care for a game surrounding herrrr. Sing along everyone!

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
I think the first one left a sour taste for those who gave it a shot. 13-2 was much improved and, in my opinion, fixed several of the issues the first iteration had. The ending to the sequel was a pretty good twist to the generic happy ending you normally see, and I'm interested to see how this one turns out.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
This looks like the dumbest shit.
All I can hope is that KFJ does an LP of this one as well.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Japan, not giving a shit about what anyone outside of japan likes since [insert game franchise that follows trend here]

I'm assuming she is popular there. I know she wasn't very popular on this side of the ocean lol

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Hey, I am actually interested in this... but i'm one of the minority who liked most of the XIII series so far so it's not much of a surprise. I'm pretty annoyed they've delayed it till next year though, looks like we're not getting a new Final Fantasy this year, which sucks.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Something happened with XIII-2, the plot changed so completely from XIII it's like a whole other thing

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
2014? PS4 isn't backwards compatible I doubt this thing is gonna get many if any sales, there's just going to be too many other things we'll want to spend/save our money for :/

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
Wonder if there was any major reason why this was delayed and the Japanese version is still set for this year? Doesn't matter since I'll be getting it anyway, but just curious.

I think I'm one of the few people who liked FF13 more than 13-2. I find 13 to be a slightly sub par Final Fantasy (still pretty good though), and 13-2 to be a pretty mediocre game (I know it improved on a lot of things, and I actually did sort of like the time travel mechanic, but the game just didn't click with me). Still going to get Lightning Returns, although I'm not exactly craving for it or anything. I just simply can't leave the series after what happened in 13-2, that's all.

But hey, maybe this game will be pretty good!

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Coming at this as someone who has never played a SINGLE Final Fantasy game, this looks... Hmm...

A plot where you can't stop the oncoming apocalypse? Where the world is going to end no matter what you do? Where you get to witness the last, bittersweet moments of a dying world? That could be a very good game indeed. (And hey, I liked the similar mechanic in Majora's Mask.)

So yeah, I'm interested. Not enough to pre-order, or anything like that, and probably not enough to pick it up without checkin reviews of the plot and trying out the gameplay first, but still - they have my interest.

Which is probably more than they can say about many core Final Fantasy players, which may mean that they're targetting the wrong audience. Maybe this didn't need to be a Final Fantasy game, Square Enix?

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I've never fully played a FF game but my understanding was that the vast majority of its iterations were set in completely different worlds with different characters. Why has Squeenix fallen so low as to keep churning out endless sequels that no one wants?

Although that doomsday timer mechanic with the ability to push it back/forward sounds interesting, I'll give them that much.

GZGoten said:
2014? PS4 isn't backwards compatible I doubt this thing is gonna get many if any sales, there's just going to be too many other things we'll want to spend/save our money for :/
A lot of people wait a good year after a console's release before buying one, sometimes more. There's various reasons, including lack of funds, but it does help to give a better impression of the console once it's been out a while and has built a library of games. My guess: plenty of people will still be playing PS3 games after PS4 launches. Sony has always been really good with regards to their support of prior consoles after the release of a new one.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Still doing this shit Square-Enix?
Mind talking about FF vs XIII? - No?
Being interested in Square-Enix IPs these days is kinda like being in an abusive relationship.
Guys please stop buying this shit.