Lightning Strikes in March With Final Fantasy XIII

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Lightning Strikes in March With Final Fantasy XIII

Good news, Final Fantasy fans: Final Fantasy XIII finally has a non-fantastic release date here in the West, hitting North America and Europe on March 9th, 2010.

Yesterday, we learned that Final Fantasy XIII would be getting a new trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96065-Square-Enix-Unveiling-New-FF13-Trailer-Tomorrow-Via-Home] today alongside a major announcement. Well, as you can see above, there's the trailer featuring new gameplay footage and interviews with development team members Yoshinori Kitase, Motomu Toriyama, Isamu Kamikokuryo, and Yuji Abe - as well as a "special message" from Squeenix President and CEO John Yamamoto - and here's the announcement: FF13 will be released in North America and Europe simultaneously on March 9th, 2010.

This goes against what we heard back in May [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91473-Square-Still-Hates-Europe-With-Final-Fantasy-XIII], when Producer Yoshinori Katase said that the European release of the game might be as long as a year after the Japanese launch this December. Still, I find it hard to believe that any of our European readers would actually be upset at finding out Katase-san was incorrect at this case, especially since it marks the first simultaneous NA/EU release of a major Final Fantasy title as far as I know.

The press release is in its entirety below:

[blockquote]LOS ANGELES (November 13, 2009) - Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of Square Enix® interactive entertainment products in North America announced today the highly anticipated street date for FINAL FANTASY® XIII. This latest project in the multi-platinum FINAL FANTASY series promises to be intensely compelling and will be available for both the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft on March 9, 2010.

FINAL FANTASY XIII marks the dawning of a new era for the celebrated franchise, bringing the series to multiple hi-definition consoles simultaneously for the first time in its history. Expanding upon the rich tradition of the series, Producer Kitase Yoshinori (FINAL FANTASY VII, X, X-2), Director Motomu Toriyama (FINAL FANTASY VII, X, X-2), character designer Tetsuya Nomura (FINAL FANTASY V, VI, VII, VIII, X) and art director Isamu Kamikokuryo (FINAL FANASY X, XII) combine their creative vision to deliver the latest masterpiece in the FINAL FANTASY universe. Additionally, Masashi Hamauzu (FINAL FANTASY X, DIRGE of CERBERUS -FINAL FANTASY VII-) presents a sweeping soundtrack while movie director Takeshi Nozue (FINAL FANTASY VII ADVENT CHILDREN) and his team of artists adorn the game with seamless cinematic sequences of unparalleled caliber.

"We know that our fans have been eagerly awaiting the next installation of the franchise - FINAL FANTASY XIII will exceed all expectations," said John Yamamoto, president and chief executive officer of Square Enix, Inc. "Coming simultaneously to PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 for the first time, FINAL FANTASY XIII will be available to all players who are looking for the most immersive gaming experience of 2010."

Multi-platinum, Grammy-nominated singer and songwriter Leona Lewis has come on board with Square Enix to provide the theme song for FINAL FANTASY XIII. The song is entitled "My Hands," and is featured on her highly-anticipated second album ECHO (J Records/Syco Music) set for release on November 17th. Leona Lewis took the music world by storm with her 2008 6x platinum debut album Spirit which features her chart topping, biggest selling single of 2008 "Bleeding Love," and mega-hit "Better In Time."

"When Square Enix approached Leona about including her song, "My Hands," in FINAL FANTASY XIII, she was honored to be partnered with such an iconic and groundbreaking video game series," said Tom Corson, EVP/GM, RCA Music Group. "Leona is a natural fit with the game's powerful themes and strong female protagonist. We're delighted to be part of this effort, bringing great musical artistry to FINAL FANTASY XIII which is a riveting and dynamic gaming experience."

Introducing new worlds, memorable characters and extraordinary stories with each new installment, the FINAL FANTASY series has continued to reinvent itself over the last two decades and has shipped over 85 million copies worldwide. The series is defined by a constant evolution, offering nothing less than the finest creative vision, graphical quality and gameplay system of its generation with every installment, and FINAL FANTASY XIII will be no exception to its legacy.[/blockquote]

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Psychosocial said:
Leona Lewis?

I just read this on /v/ and thought it was bullshit, but now I'm really sad. Guess that this game just got scratched from my list of games to purchase!
Because of a song that will be in the game? Wow.

With PAX East and this, March is going to be an awesome month for me.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Oh, how the mighty hath fallen.

I thought the music from Kingdom Hearts was pitiful...

Crystal Chronicles for the Gamecube still had the best opening theme of any Final Fantasy game.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Hah! That's good news indeed. Cheers to Square, Dissidia was only a few weeks behind in the PAL region and now we get a simultaneous release for FFXIII. I've been complaining about these sort of things for so long I must thank Square for making an effort with it ^^

messy

Dec 3, 2008
well even Ms Lewis can't ruin this for

Here's an interesting fact for you about her...Oh wait no

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
Will it be released on the PC as well? I should hope so, being that Microsoft enjoys releasing on both the Xbox and PC. I just wish that there would be no stalled release for the latter.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Psychosocial said:
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Psychosocial said:
Leona Lewis?

I just read this on /v/ and thought it was bullshit, but now I'm really sad. Guess that this game just got scratched from my list of games to purchase!
The constant fear would ruin the game for me. I'd constantly be thinking "will that damn song start now?".
Just don't think about it. When it does pop out, plug your hears and scream "LALALALALALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR THIS LALALALALALALALALALALA"

It worked with Eyes On Me in FF8.

Bourne Endeavor

May 14, 2008
I cannot fathom the hatred for this Leona Lewis. I youtubed her for curiosity sake and I find little appalling. In constrast I find the song appealing.

Psychosocial said:
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Psychosocial said:
Leona Lewis?

The constant fear would ruin the game for me. I'd constantly be thinking "will that damn song start now?".
If only my some stretch of the imagination televisions had the capability to be silenced with the press of a button. ;)

Bourne Endeavor

May 14, 2008
Random argument man said:
It worked with Eyes On Me in FF8.
That was beautiful song. Shall I await hatred for peaceful songs depicted in FFIX and FFX as well and be alone in my enjoyment of them? :p

Nothankyou

Oct 26, 2009
Oh holy shit.
I was so happy when I read this
Then I got to the Leona Lewis part
First Squeenix gets Gerard Way, now Leona Lewis?!

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
It'll be better than the song from FFXII. That was dire. I quite like Leona Lewis, her version of 'Run' was pretty.

Also, Goddamn It! It's Bloody Time!

theaceplaya

Jul 20, 2009
Any official word on if it's truly a multiple disc game for the Xbox 360? I didn't see anything about it in the press release, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
Boooooooooooooooo, give me Dragon Quest 9. I guess White Knight Chronicles will do when it's out because it's made by the same people and looks very similar to Dragon Quest 8.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Psychosocial said:
Leona Lewis?

I can't say I was very excited about this game to begin with but my wife is.
I just hope the ps3 version has custom soundtracks activated or even she wont want it.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Flying-Emu said:
I thought the music from Kingdom Hearts was pitiful...
0_0

Dude, c'mon. It might now have been rock-tastic, but it wasn't BAD.

Speaking of which, jeez, people are petty. Metal isn't exactly my favorite kind of music, but I'd still totally buy Brutal Legend.

SMOKEMNHALO2001

Sep 10, 2008
It's a good thing most gamers understands how other cultures calendar settings work, if anybody else looked at that and didn't know the game was set for march they would swear it was coming out on September 3rd 2010. Hell if I only saw the trailer alone I would have thought it was set for September. So why not have the guy say "FF13 coming March 3rd 2010." That's just stupid.