Lightsabers and Colour

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Well, if we had full choice of the spectrum I'd go with white or as close to a grey saber as possible. Picking from the more traditional colours though would probably be a dark blue. I'd also grab one of those sabers with adjustable blades since that just seems like a sensible and practical decision with a lightsaber.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Silver has always been my fav color of the fabled lightsaber colors as I always use that for the KOTOR games and any other SW games.

Of the more basic colors tho? Some kind of Blue

Silverbane7

Jul 1, 2012
technicaly...?
the one i have....
its yellow.

(choose your own lightsaber configuration toy with all 3 stones inserted to get white, then slip some quality street yellow celophane toffee paper between the hilt and the retractable lightsaber blade and voila! yellow golden blade)
normal and basic, i dont bother with flashy handles ect.

i wonder if the old combo set connect to the new combo sets? might allow for the ultimate swiss army saber you think?

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
Well, my current preference in SWTOR (which has the biggest selection) is a black core with orange halo. I got really tired of Green-Blue-Red, the Green and Blue are psychological to encourage you to feel calm and relaxed, while the red triggers aggression and anger. It's a cheap way of reinforcing the narrative with a character.

As for Grey Jedi...well, Light-Side Dark-Side, and Sith/Jedi always seemed to be two different things to me. Actions are light or dark, but allegiance is Sith or Jedi. I tended to rationalize the title of 'Gray Jedi' as being a title for someone who leans towards darkness but maintains an allegiance towards the Jedi ideals. The same with my Gray Sith Inquisitor, he is aligned with the Sith, but his actions are overwhelmingly light. I don't really understand why the Gray concept is taking a hit, it's a more honest interpretation of living in a complicated universe rather than just running around and blindly following a contradictory and unreasonable ideology on either side.

When someone doesn't have emotion in normal life we view them as having a psychological disorder, but we expect that from the so called guardians of the Republic? Because in practice it becomes 'don't let your emotions rule you' in theory it's supposed to be 'don't have any emotions'.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
In KotOR II you could have a silver one and I LOVED that mofo so silver's definitely my favourite but out of the more basic ones I've always liked Green - I start as a Consular in the games and Luke used a green saber like once or twice (hah). So green. And silver.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Yellow. Always has been, always will be, but Yellow is my lightsaber. Blue has never done it for me, not a huge fan of the red, green would be acceptable but overall for me yellow just suits better.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
Blue is mine but green given the cannon would be more my speed.
It also just looks nicer projected from a lightsaber then blue

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Purple. Favourite colour is probably black, it goes with everything and I wear it mostly, but purple's my fave, and purple's my blade. Every Star Wars game that lets you pick, mine's purple. Loved doing that in Jedi Academy.

Oh, and also, check out the Spoiler Warning (Run by Shamus Young from here) playthrough of KOTOR. They also love the purple lightsabers (See, I'm objectively right), and finding their purple lightsabers brings such glee to them that you have to feel happy.

Now I want to play some more Star Wars games. Do I hit up Jedi Outcast, which I started, or give Force Unleashed a go? Questions, questions.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
FFHAuthor said:
Well, my current preference in SWTOR (which has the biggest selection) is a black core with orange halo. I got really tired of Green-Blue-Red, the Green and Blue are psychological to encourage you to feel calm and relaxed, while the red triggers aggression and anger. It's a cheap way of reinforcing the narrative with a character.

As for Grey Jedi...well, Light-Side Dark-Side, and Sith/Jedi always seemed to be two different things to me. Actions are light or dark, but allegiance is Sith or Jedi. I tended to rationalize the title of 'Gray Jedi' as being a title for someone who leans towards darkness but maintains an allegiance towards the Jedi ideals. The same with my Gray Sith Inquisitor, he is aligned with the Sith, but his actions are overwhelmingly light. I don't really understand why the Gray concept is taking a hit, it's a more honest interpretation of living in a complicated universe rather than just running around and blindly following a contradictory and unreasonable ideology on either side.

When someone doesn't have emotion in normal life we view them as having a psychological disorder, but we expect that from the so called guardians of the Republic? Because in practice it becomes 'don't let your emotions rule you' in theory it's supposed to be 'don't have any emotions'.
That's because the Jedi are meant to be like monks, vaguely inspired by several eastern faiths. It takes focus and meditation for them to access the force, and concentration, which is what Yoda tried to teach Luke in ESB. You can reach the force through anger and rage too, and it is a quick and easy path, but accessing the force that way will rob you of that peace, and that anger, and using the force that way, will corrupt you.

In the prequels it's expanded that there's a descent to the dark side, and that the Sith crave power for it's own sake, and in the EU it's expanded that the dark side of the force corrupts and changes the wielder, and that there are numerous philosophies regarding balance, Living Force/Unifying force, and the dark side not necessarily being evil, but those pretty much always turn out that dark side powers corrupt you, and that the dark side is seductive.

I like to think of it in the original terms. You can get it done the right way, with patience, and calm, or you can take the easy path, solve the problem with rage and anger, and in doing so, you'll learn to use that, rather than developing the patience and calm of true mastery. Yoda doesn't fear death, and happily sleeps forever. Palpatine screams like a madman as he falls into the pit..

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I think I would choose a blue crystal. I always find the green sabers to be a bit harder to see, but not the blue. Plus, I really like the color blue (though red is my favorite).

Also, I would be a Jedi. Yes, an actual Jedi. Not a gray Jedi, or a Sith. A Jedi. I'm already pretty even and unemotional when dealing with most subjects. So, I could probably maintain a balanced view of any conflict, especially with the years of training under Masters like Yoda.

Kolby Jack said:
I think you make the same mistake a lot of people make when it comes to how they view the Jedi. The Jedi's warmongering ways were predominately seen IN THE OLD EU. They were often written as such by ding-dongs who didn't seem to get one of the key plot point of the prequels: Yes, the Jedi took on the role of generals and soldiers during the Clone Wars, but they did so very reluctantly (they decided against creating a standing army until it was revealed one was already made) and they paid DEARLY for it. Say what you will about the prequels, because yeah, the writing is shit, but the idea that the Jedi were warmongering anti-dark-side light-nazis is one I'm getting pretty sick of hearing.
It even gets brought up in the backstory of KOTOR. The Rebulic asked the Jedi to help deal with the invasion of the Mandalorians. And the Jedi were very reluctant to fight. They feared that war may corrupt the Order. Revan forced the Jedi to become involved when he took upon himself to fight and take as many Jedi as he could with him.

And in the Clone Wars there is an episode where a Master and his former Padawan, now a Knight, find Grievous's home base and fight him. The Knight is shown to have a little bloodlust, desiring to defeat Grievous, but this blinds him to the danger and gets him killed. It's even stated by the Council that the war is having a negative effect on the Jedi.

What people seem to ignore is that the Jedi weren't purely warriors. They were mediators. Chroniclers. Historians. Doctors. And more.

Why did Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon go to talk the Trade Federation? To negotiate and try to find a peaceful solution. That was their primary goal. In the KOTOR games, the Light path is usually full of negotiation rather than violence. If the Republic needed someone trustworthy to investigate something or try to find a peaceful solution, they would ask for the Jedi to help them. I always got the sense that the Jedi weren't even technically part of the Republic or even served it, but were sort of symbiotic.

And Mace Windu is notable among the Jedi as he actually fights with anger, using the Vaapad lightsaber form. But is not corrupted by that anger. Further supporting your statement about Jedi who dabbled in the Dark Side.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I was under the impression that the colors meant something.
Correct me if I'm wrong but:
Blue: Regular Jedi
Green: Jedi Master
Purple: Head Jedi
Red: Sith
Also, the OP spelled "Color" wrong in the title. It's spelled the way it's pronounced.

HybridChangeling

Dec 13, 2015
Souplex said:
Unfortunately the only canon that actually explained it is no longer canon, and I guess everyone bows to Supreme Leader Disney's decisions now. But the Legendary Canon (Which yes, is an actual canon of it's own) explains that Blue was for Knights, and Green for Consulars. Purple was it's own unique thing. Red is always for the Sith. I am also surprised that everyone hates on Grey Jedi so much. Guess the idea of impartiality is an alien one in Star Wars.

DaWaffledude said:
Glad to see "Gray Jedi" getting called out as the bullshit they are.
Good, good, let the hate flow through you.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Well, if I were a Jedi, I'd probably be a Consular (if we were to use KOTOR classification), because I'd rather be a mediator and, if stuff hits the fan, use Force than swing a sword, so I'd probably have green one.

But if I were to simply choose one, I'd go for blue, because it is the most pleasant to look at.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Souplex said:
Then Yoda's lightsaber would have been purple, not green. Green and Blue are supposed to be the typical colors because the Jedi get their light saber crystals in one place, where only blue and green crystals are present.

OT: For me I'd go with hilts similar to those Anikin makes, but with better grip. I'd dual wield, and probably have a socket on one hilt and a locking bolt on the other so I can utilize the set as a double ended saber. I'd go dual phase lightsabers too, because some times you need a longer blade for the reach, but sometimes a shorter blade is less of a liability. For colors my more Dominate hand's light saber would have violet or purple crystal for a violet or purple blade, I'd go for a pink crystal/blade in my left hand.

As for affiliation, both the Sith and Jedi can go be stupid as they want somewhere far away from me. I'll go independent learning skills of both sides, but being a generally good person and looking out for myself and my friends. It'd also give me flexibility, because no matter who controls the galaxy my loyalty isn't to either, but it can be bought temporarily.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
As much as I'd like to get fancy with white or pure black, I get the feeling those people are the ones the other Jedi look at and go, "pretentious twat". They'd be like the fedoras of the Jedi order.

So it'd be a straight blue lightsabre for me. Firmly on the side of light, get shit done.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Souplex said:
Also, the OP spelled "Color" wrong in the title. It's spelled the way it's pronounced.
I was loyal to my Canadian roots and used the spelling we use up here. Care for a doughnut?
TheRightToArmBears said:
People already brought up grey Jedi? That's what's known as having your cake and eating it. Suck it up and pick a side.
I didn't even know it was a thing. I think the Dark Side corrupting people using it for good purposes and twisting them into the thing they pledged to fight against is like its most intrinsic property. Unless you're Palpatine. His reasoning behind making an empire is now entirely selfish since the Vong war is now non-canon.

Sep 24, 2008
White Crystal. SW:TOR.

I do not get why people hate on the Grey Jedi so much.If we take out the realities of the force and what enlightenment it would bring, It is the most realistic version of the Jedi there is, given human nature. No one is purely evil. The KKK that might really and legitimately want the death of all minorities can be loving fathers and mothers. As much as we can easily look as muslim extremists as inhuman monsters, they believe they are freedom fighters... kind of like how people view the rebels.

I do like the idea of them being rare, though. A person who can resist the temptation of the Power of the Force shouldn't be just anyone. Also how some people can just live with their actions because it's for a greater purpose. Like a bomber who destroys a city because it will stop a total war. It's the same way how if you're a normally good person and you found ten thousand dollars in a suitcase with someone's name on it, only the true living saints out there will return it. They'll probably kick themselves, but they would.

Most of us pay our taxes, love our families, are loyal to our spouses, and never would hit their kids... But it's freaking ten thousand dollars.

Meanwhile, with the enlightenment of seeing things through the Force, I can readily see the difference between Light and Dark. We have no proof of anything but science in this world, so we do whatever we can to survive now. Our morals can be bent because in the long run... who cares, we're all dust anyway. But in a universe where there are such a things as readily observable Ghosts, a mystical Energy Source that we all return to that some people can not because of their attachments in this life, and the ability to see and feel the future and what your decisions would actually have an affect on... I think we are all kidding ourselves to say a good deal of us wouldn't try to be light just for the peace of mind of not seeing and feeling what we have done.

People are assholes now because they can't empathize. Imagine how those people would actually be (if they are not complete psychopaths) if they had to see and feel everything they caused?

HybridChangeling said:
Crimson/Red will never cease to be my favorite lightsaber. As much as everyone thinks we would be Jedi, a good chunk of us would fall to the Dark Side quickly. Human response is fight or flight, AKA Anger/Passionate response or Fear. Which means you literally have to suppress self preservation instincts to be a Jedi. Thinking about it, that is probably the reason they all went out like punks in Episode 3. No no, I would be a Grey Jedi or a peaceful Sith.
Actually, I think this goes to the current "Evil is cool, good is so stupid" mindset that has grasped this society and will not let go. Please, take this as no offense to you. But I've noticed how many people say "Good is boring because it's everywhere" to be somewhat blinded to what is actually happening in the world. The shift has gone away from Paragons of Justice like Superman and we end up lambasting him as a mockery of "what someone would really do" with that power. We hold onto Batman because 'being a dick is cool'. Meanwhile, Batman ends up to be more improbable than Superman.

Superman is at least an alien. Batman needs no sleep, no training (you CAN NOT AS A HUMAN maintain peak muscle strength and power once you reached it once. You need to constantly train daily), and because he really, really practiced... he can punch hard enough to make people who can shrug off bullets feel it.

Moving away from Batman, I think most people nowadays adopted the Evil is cool thing. I think most people would instinctively want to be a Sith because Sith think about their own needs: A mindset that is mirrored among today's society to a T.

And they did not 'go out like punks'. Implicitly trust your best friends for years, people you've literally survived trials and tribulations with. Most people will put their lives into their hands without question. That's what make sleeper agents so powerful in any reality. Hell, just undercover police are a good sign of that.