Lightsabers and Colour

HybridChangeling

Dec 13, 2015
Redlin5 said:
I think the Dark Side corrupting people using it for good purposes and twisting them into the thing they pledged to fight against is like its most intrinsic property. Unless you're Palpatine. His reasoning behind making an empire is now entirely selfish since the Vong war is now non-canon.
Yeah, didn't know people hated the Gray Jedi to such an extreme extent, but I am sticking with it. I guess being called a "Fedora" is what it costs to be an ounce rational about anything in the Star Wars universe. Gray crystal, much in the style of Revan's blade, I liked the simplicity of it.

ObsidianJones said:
Actually, I think this goes to the current "Evil is cool, good is so stupid" mindset that has grasped this society and will not let go. Please, take this as no offense to you. But I've noticed how many people say "Good is boring because it's everywhere" to be somewhat blinded to what is actually happening in the world. The shift has gone away from Paragons of Justice like Superman and we end up lambasting him as a mockery of "what someone would really do" with that power. We hold onto Batman because 'being a dick is cool'. Meanwhile, Batman ends up to be more improbable than Superman.
Thanks for being rational about it. I didn't choose Sith as some sort of selfish desire, I chose it honestly for my anxiety, aka my fear. I have a fear response so strong anything from driving in a car to being sick on a work day can spike it. It's hard to get through a day without some sort of fear gnawing at me, and that's why I probably wouldn't last as a Jedi. Also my "going out like a punk thing" is because they literally had to give up their instincts and trust the Force to guide them, at a time when the Dark Side clouded their judgement.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Well my favorite color would have to be orange, but since there is no way to get an orange crystal as far as I know I'd just stick with a blue lightsaber.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Kingjackl said:
As much as I'd like to get fancy with white or pure black, I get the feeling those people are the ones the other Jedi look at and go, "pretentious twat". They'd be like the fedoras of the Jedi order.
This gave me a chuckle. Would the people with unusual lightsabers be the hipsters?

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
MiskWisk said:
Kingjackl said:
As much as I'd like to get fancy with white or pure black, I get the feeling those people are the ones the other Jedi look at and go, "pretentious twat". They'd be like the fedoras of the Jedi order.
This gave me a chuckle. Would the people with unusual lightsabers be the hipsters?
There'd be whole subcultures around it. People with nonstandard colours are the hipsters. People with curved lightsabres are the elitist preppies. People with purple lightsabres who aren't Mace Windu are wannabes (or possibly wiggers). Not sure what the double-bladed lightsabres would be, but you get the idea.

Now I'm imagining like a Jedi: High School spinoff with all the different lightsabre cliques. You'd have (using KOTOR terms) the guardians as jocks, the consulars as nerds and the sentinels as the non-conformists.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I'm not sure that I'd want one but I'd like to see a black lightsaber... does that make sense to have a saber made from black light? Wait, why do I care?

I'm going to go with green.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Wuvlycuddles said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
People already brought up grey Jedi? That's what's known as having your cake and eating it. Suck it up and pick a side.

Personally I'd like a deep, dark green lightsaber, with a long hilt and a slightly extended blade, like a hand-and-a-half sword. I'd have to be a Jedi, being a Dudeist and all it fits that I follow another set of beliefs awkwardly cobbled together out of Taoism.
But both are totally stupid! Strip out most of what makes you human or become a slave to petty emotion, neither sound great to me. Part of the reason I think Jolee, Revan, Luke and Kreia are the most interesting force users in all the canon.

Anyway, loved the Silver/White Sabers in Kotor 2 the mostest.
I presume it's a part of coping with the power of being force-sensitive. Jedi don't try and inhibit emotions for no reason, they need to in order to resist the temptation that the Sith are wholly slave to. Being a grey jedi is a cop-out because you're getting all the benefits of being force sensitive without having to make any sacrifices about it. Sure, Jedi grappling with this is interesting and human, but eventually it is something they will have to master.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
My lightsaber would be a chainsword with the individual blades a curved laser. And it would be yellow, because yellow lightsabers are the best.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Blue is my favorite color, and blue would be the color of my lightsaber. There's just something compelling about that blue glow in a dark area. Probably because blue always makes me think of coolness, like actual temperature. Cool temperatures, cool heads, measured actions.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
What's all the hate for Grey Jedi going in here? A Grey Jedi is just a Jedi who doesn't follow the council or the order's commands/proclamations. They're not some kind of wishy washy can use the Dark Side cheater's option. They just don't go with the group sometimes.

As for what I'd use, I'd probably go with a silver blade, and copy Exar Kun's short hilted double bladed lightsaber. Tricky tricky man that he was came up with a tricky tricky lightsaber to match.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
K12 said:
I'm not sure that I'd wany one but I'd like to see a black lightsaber... does that make sense to have a saber made from black light? Wait, why do I care?

Black sabers are a thing. If I've got my history correct, they're Rakattan prototypes to Lightsabers.

This one's actually canon, because it appeared in the Clone Wars tv show.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Mine would be rainbow because fuck you don't need to have a sword fight when I CAN DISCO BLIND MY ENEMY TO DEATH. MWHAHAHA.

...Probably purple.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Either Red or Green.
Yeah I know, I'm original as hell! :D
Mace Windus purple also looks kinda cool and there was a in Force Unleashed a Orange one I thought looked kinda neat.
But the two first ones are defineatly my favorites.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
When I was a kid I had the demo for Jedi Outcast on my PC, when I would play multiplayer I'd always make my lightsaber orange, I thought it was really cool looking and I've tried to recreate that in every Star Wars game I've played that lets you choose your saber color... sadly the option for orange lightsabers are kind of rare in most Star Wars games.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
silver wolf009 said:
K12 said:
I'm not sure that I'd want one but I'd like to see a black lightsaber... does that make sense to have a saber made from black light? Wait, why do I care?

Black sabers are a thing. If I've got my history correct, they're Rakattan prototypes to Lightsabers.

This one's actually canon, because it appeared in the Clone Wars tv show.
After looking at it, the black light saber is a bit rubbish. It kinda just looks like a metal pole.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Souplex said:
I was under the impression that the colors meant something.
Correct me if I'm wrong but:
Blue: Regular Jedi
Green: Jedi Master
Purple: Head Jedi
Red: Sith
Also, the OP spelled "Color" wrong in the title. It's spelled the way it's pronounced.
That's what I thought too that the coloUr had some kind of meaning or reflected the jedi's status. Attack of the clones seemed to piss that idea away though... apparently it was all just a coincidence up to that point.

Jan 18, 2012
For lightsaber color, I've always liked blue and purple colored sabers. As for alignment, I usually play my Sith characters in SWTOR as Lawful Evil. They're still dark side and unrelenting forces of destruction against the Jedi/Republic, but they're friendly and loyal to their companions and allies. Unless they really fuck up or do something stupid *coughQuinncough*

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
CaptainMarvelous said:
Kolby Jack said:
I think you make the same mistake a lot of people make when it comes to how they view the Jedi. The Jedi's warmongering ways were predominately seen IN THE OLD EU. They were often written as such by ding-dongs who didn't seem to get one of the key plot point of the prequels: Yes, the Jedi took on the role of generals and soldiers during the Clone Wars, but they did so very reluctantly (they decided against creating a standing army until it was revealed one was already made) and they paid DEARLY for it. Say what you will about the prequels, because yeah, the writing is shit, but the idea that the Jedi were warmongering anti-dark-side light-nazis is one I'm getting pretty sick of hearing.
But that doesn't acknowledge the fact the Sith clearly HAD been a threat before Phantom Menace: where exactly did they go? No matter what current Canon states, the only reasonable option is they were wiped out. Only reasonable answer as to who is by the Jedi. Hard as it is to hear, at some point in their history, the Jedi took a massive chunk of the Sith out. That's not to say they were warmongers of course but they did at least do that to the Sith. Hell, the Sith were a SPECIES, where are they now?

The entirety of the Prequels is the Sith getting even with the Jedi and bringing balance (because by the end of it, the universe had two Jedi and two Sith), to say the Light Side promotes balance is deeply flawed because they don't. They promote the Light. The Sith are clearly the more aggressive of the two sides but they don't really spread the Dark Side. Rule of Two precludes it. You could argue that a well thought out Sith would spare a handful of Jedi as the best means to increase their OWN power, whereas a Jedi would either convert the Sith to the light OR would kill them outright.
Completely disagree. The Sith established the rule of two for a reason: they were their own worst enemy. Large amounts of Sith only end up fighting each other AND the Jedi, which is partly why the Jedi always win. In every shown conflict between the Jedi and the Sith in the canon and Legends, the Sith are always the instigators. They attack, they collapse, they lose, they retreat, only to come back some time later and attack again. Even within the rule of two, it's expected that the apprentice will try and kill the master. The Jedi meanwhile only REACT to the Sith. They react swiftly and strongly, but they still only react.

And the idea that "balance" means an equal number of light and dark force users is just silly. Nothing in the franchise has ever supported that claim, and it's just dumb to think something as mystical and mysterious as the force would come down to first grade math. The force exists in ALL living beings in the Galaxy, why do only the Jedi and Sith factor in to the balance?

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
Loonyyy said:
That's because the Jedi are meant to be like monks, vaguely inspired by several eastern faiths. It takes focus and meditation for them to access the force, and concentration, which is what Yoda tried to teach Luke in ESB. You can reach the force through anger and rage too, and it is a quick and easy path, but accessing the force that way will rob you of that peace, and that anger, and using the force that way, will corrupt you.

In the prequels it's expanded that there's a descent to the dark side, and that the Sith crave power for it's own sake, and in the EU it's expanded that the dark side of the force corrupts and changes the wielder, and that there are numerous philosophies regarding balance, Living Force/Unifying force, and the dark side not necessarily being evil, but those pretty much always turn out that dark side powers corrupt you, and that the dark side is seductive.

I like to think of it in the original terms. You can get it done the right way, with patience, and calm, or you can take the easy path, solve the problem with rage and anger, and in doing so, you'll learn to use that, rather than developing the patience and calm of true mastery. Yoda doesn't fear death, and happily sleeps forever. Palpatine screams like a madman as he falls into the pit..
I agree with that completely.

I just think that the Jedi as we've seen them have been at best extremely flawed, and have never quite lived up to the expectations that are supposed to be attached to the Jedi. At worst, almost as bad as the Sith. I'd prefer someone who has the emotional attachments, and the intellectual maturity to deal with them, rather than someone who simply is operating purely on logic and 'peace'.

Dazzle Novak

Sep 28, 2015
silver wolf009 said:
What's all the hate for Grey Jedi going in here? A Grey Jedi is just a Jedi who doesn't follow the council or the order's commands/proclamations. They're not some kind of wishy washy can use the Dark Side cheater's option. They just don't go with the group sometimes.

As for what I'd use, I'd probably go with a silver blade, and copy Exar Kun's short hilted double bladed lightsaber. Tricky tricky man that he was came up with a tricky tricky lightsaber to match.
It's like being a philandering monk. "Oh, I'm totally into meditation and self-discipline and all that jazz, but pussy is pussy, man! I don't believe..." No, the whole point of being a Jedi is making personal sacrifice; else, you fall to the dark side.

Those are the mechanics of the universe. Jedi training without strict discipline leads to the dark side. Either accept that, or just forget about being a cool space samurai with a silver lightsaber. Be Han Solo or something.

I'd go green and single. If it's good enough for Space Jesus Luke, what type of tosser would I be trying to get a special black/gold/invisible dual-wielding shit like I'm some total badass? I'm sure they'd kick you out of training for peacocking like that.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
I personally would love it if there was someway to get a "Black" Light-saber, kinda in Teen Titans when they outline Raven while she uses her powers.
If there was some way to create something like that, I'd be all over that son of a *****.

Outside of that, I'd either go with Gold or White.