LimeWire Settles with Record Companies for Only $105 Million

Xannieros

Jul 29, 2008
How much money of that so called 75 Trillion in damages would have been used to buy music? Probably not even 1 million. People want free. They won't buy it unless its necessary, if they used limewire.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
neurohazzard said:
*sigh* Silly record industry, you can't kill peer to peer. It's like a hydra, for every head you cut off, 2 more spring up in it's place. Killing limewire just leaves room for clones to move in and take it's place.
its legal precedent though, I suppose they can take down others easier now. To be fair though I don't think I would miss bit torrent and its peers if they were to cease to exist, they're mostly just used for piracy anyway and any legitimate use can be put on servers.

neurohazzard

Nov 24, 2007
Continuity said:
neurohazzard said:
*sigh* Silly record industry, you can't kill peer to peer. It's like a hydra, for every head you cut off, 2 more spring up in it's place. Killing limewire just leaves room for clones to move in and take it's place.
its legal precedent though, I suppose they can take down others easier now. To be fair though I don't think I would miss bit torrent and its peers if they were to cease to exist, they're mostly just used for piracy anyway and any legitimate use can be put on servers.
Heh, it's been legal precedent since back when they took down e-donkey, or maybe even as early as napster. Didn't stop more peer to peer programs from immediately rising up to fill the gap. Supply and demand I'm afraid.

aaron552

Jun 11, 2008
Scrumpmonkey said:
Peer to peer networks such as Gnutella or eDonkey went out of fashion YEARS ago due to their lack of speed, reliance on sever networks and rapant scurity holes both in the network its self and for the end user.
You do realise that Limewire is a Gnutella client, right?

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Something tells me the settlement money isn't going to starving recording artists, either. So I'm not sure what good this settlement will do for either side of the argument for "freely distributed" copyrighted material.
You nailed it on the head with that statement, Greg. The RIAA has always been a farce as it has very little to do in working for recording artists. These days they probably lose more money by artists leaving their ranks than any so-called "music stealing." May not have been much skin off Gorton's nose, but still a waste of money.
joebear15 said:
what surprises me is that the Lime wire guy did not go to a non extradition country YEARS ago
Why would he do that? He had a lot of copyright law on his side. The settlement was more to avoid paying any more lawyer fees than anything else. If for some reason it went the whole way and he was found liable, the verdict would have been tossed in appeals.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
wow, the Record companies can make people cough out their apartment + their IRA! they are basically saying that they want to take away this guy's life saving, because he built the P2P network? wow, i felt bad for him. inventor with invention that's ahead of it;'s time, meets the corporates that OWNS this time... poor guy... he just lost his life savings, and house, and the people who robbed him is saying "Paying the record companies is no skin off his nose." Bastards, and i bet these money is NOT for the artists (the song makers, NOT the singers), they are for the CEO's wallet padding. this is REALLY SAD... i'm just going to the corner of the room to cry and (very small and non-lethally)cut my wrist...

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Well, I hope the record companies are happy, now that they've got several truckloads of free money thanks to their impressive ability to invent sales statistics. Not that I have any sympathy for some billionaire New Yorker who supports his gratuitous income by skirting the edges of the law, either. At the end of the day, everyone is happy except the artists, and I continue getting every CD I want from the library for exactly no money. Another victory for the justice system!

TacticalAssassin1

Elite Member
May 29, 2009
The record companies are the greedy bastards, here.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/music/q-a-with-trent-reznor-of-nine-inch-nails/story-e6frf9hf-1111113550202

Capicha: ourourop this

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Trent Reznor's case is interesting, and he's certainly not alone.

I understand why the big corps don't like piracy, and marketing and management is a necessary evil, if you want to make it big, unless you get hugely lucky indeed.

However it does seem that they do all they can to look like assholes to music fans and artists alike, and it's very hard to sympathise with their side when they don't seem to be starving, they're certainly not doing as badly as most of the artists on their books, and they're repeatedly shown up for lying or screwing over their acts.

In the end I can see that the record companies feel they understand the industry or how to market an artist better than the artist, which is why they sue vimeo for showing OK GO's new video, or wail because Trent Reznor gives away pre-release tracks from his new cds at gigs.

However, it does seem that a lot of people in the industry do have their head in the sand, chanting 'nothing's changed since the 60's, nothing changed' and sending their lawyers out every time someone does something involving a computer that proves their ideas to be wrong.

Personally, I predict a near future where the companies that refuse to advance and evolve will die out, and musicians will either work with those that understand new technology and the new emerging markets, or they'll take on that job themselves, like how bands pay for their own gas money and maintain their own instruments until they make it big.

Also, $75 trillion? illegal downloading cost your record company more than the combined national debt of the entire world? You're wondering why people consider you faceless money hungry asses? I understand you want revenge, wanting to hurt the one that hurt you, but that's like calling for the death penalty on your big brother who gave you a dead arm atthe age of 12.

The above news about Trent Reznor -
TacticalAssassin1 said:
The record companies are the greedy bastards, here.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/music/q-a-with-trent-reznor-of-nine-inch-nails/story-e6frf9hf-1111113550202

Capicha: ourourop this
Shows just how the companies don't understand about fans,music or how the market has evolved. If you want to charge an extra 30% just because you can screw that bit extra from loyal fans, you'll soon find that when they can't afford it, they'll either - turn to Limewire, Bit Torrent or the like, or just hop on a website and buy the album for half the price from another country, including international shipping (or buy it digital!).

TL:DR version

Yes, piracy is an issue, but the corporations also need to realise the world has moved on, and embrace the new world, not try to burn the looms for fear that jobs will be lost to the evil machines. I may be comparing them to Luddites, but it's better than the body parts they're usually compared to.

Mr Jack

Sep 10, 2008
If you value each song at say, a dollar, then the lost sales due to LimeWire they claim must mean that on average every person in the world downloaded 1107 songs that they would otherwise have paid for.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
TacticalAssassin1 said:
SenseOfTumour said:
Thanks for the interesting read :)
Thanks for the compliment, tho I have to fess up, neither the OP or the quoted Trent Reznor piece was any of my doing, I just bitched about stuff after that :)

Hell, I'm just going to pretend you meant me, and enjoy it anyways.

TacticalAssassin1

Elite Member
May 29, 2009
SenseOfTumour said:
TacticalAssassin1 said:
SenseOfTumour said:
Thanks for the interesting read :)
Thanks for the compliment, tho I have to fess up, neither the OP or the quoted Trent Reznor piece was any of my doing, I just bitched about stuff after that :)

Hell, I'm just going to pretend you meant me, and enjoy it anyways.
I quoted the Trent Reznor piece :p I just thought your rant was interesting.