Limits in Science-Fiction.

AlkalineGamer

Jan 6, 2011
I'm not talking big old scientific theories that may or may not be true.

I was more concerned with basic fundemental things, such as the eyes, people where also wondering wether the charcter viewed the answeres in 1st or 3rd person, well he is basically looking trough the eyes of his ancestor, and our eyes are in the front of our heads, so he seas 1st person. stuff like that i don't think can be changed.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Anoctris said:
AlkalineGamer said:
Science fiction, basically taking massive liberties with theoretical or even certain science.
But what lines can science fiction not cross? What scientific facts just cannot be changed?

I thought of this after having a little debate with someone on the AC forums over the way Genetic inheritance works, a constant argument was that "it's science fiction, they can do what they want" But i think Sci-Fi needs some boundaries, it's the only thing stopping it from becoming utterly insane nonsense.

So where should the line between Reality and imagination be drawn?
I think it depends on the author to set what boundaries they want with their fictions, not the reader. We just get to sit back and enjoy it.

Some like having none, while others like to keep their form of miraculous within certain realistic bounds.
Fully agree: so long as an author sticks within whatever limits they impose on themselves (no matter how flimsy) then all's well.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
AlkalineGamer said:
Science fiction, basically taking massive liberties with theoretical or even certain science.
But what lines can science fiction not cross? What scientific facts just cannot be changed?

I thought of this after having a little debate with someone on the AC forums over the way Genetic inheritance works, a constant argument was that "it's science fiction, they can do what they want" But i think Sci-Fi needs some boundaries, it's the only thing stopping it from becoming utterly insane nonsense.

See, here's the thing though. You need to remember Clarke's law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". Literally anything is feasible, given enough of a technological increase. We don't know enough to know what is possible or not, to be perfectly honest.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
The boundaries are made by the writer, not the genre. The proper way to do this is to write a story and have some other asshat decide what genre it is. If you write the story without explaining the rules of whatever super power/tech that you've given your characters it's usually not as good. The best books I've read have all had an excuse as to why the magic works. Wheel of Time has a general energy flow you tap into and make forms with, Sword of Truth treets it like a science.

And the beauty of going out into space is that there's so many alien worlds, an infinite amount, with an infinite amount of unknown materials, and if we jump into alternate dimensions there are even new rules that work nothing like that rules in our world.

Besides that, science changes often enough. Theories are always being altered to take in new discoveries and as more experiments are made more discoveries are made and new possibilities abound. One hundred years ago nobody knew computers were going to be so big, and the internet would have seemed like insanity.

concrete89

Oct 21, 2008
Depends...
If you aim to create a suspenseful thriller or horror, you can restrain it quite a bit. Like Alien. It made space a place where you are all alone in a tin can and no one can save you. Kinda like real space.
But if you look at a more unrealistic movie/series like Startrek, you need the silliness, or it won't work. Exploring new planets isn't as exiting when you spend twenty years of getting kidneystones and dying from cancer to get there, just to end up on an endless plain of sand.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
I think what's more important is that the author/creator is capable of staying within the confines of their work's internal rules and logic.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I don't think their should a a universal limit of whats aloud in science fiction, that just limits the possibilities and humanity achieving impossible feats is one of the main things science fiction is about, if we had limits like that we could never have Gurren Lagann or Doctor Who.

AlkalineGamer

Jan 6, 2011
Agayek said:
AlkalineGamer said:

See, here's the thing though. You need to remember Clarke's law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". Literally anything is feasible, given enough of a technological increase. We don't know enough to know what is possible or not, to be perfectly honest.
This is pretty much the line i was talking about.
I'm fine with changing things we know little about.
But i don't think they can really change things we are completely certain about.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I reckon that Sci Fi is more engaging when it's realistic, and gritty (not in a grey fps kinda way, but a hopeless kind of way).

There shouldn't be any limits though, more power to an author/artist who can make a great story out of the Jetsons.

mrscott137

Apr 8, 2010
The distinction of Science-Fiction and Science-Fantasy is something people forget too often. Science fiction is where it is improbable, but is possible and could be explained. Science fantasy is the kind of stuff that isn't possible- like the engines in star wars and star trek. Star trek goes into great detail mapping the limitations and how the engines and worlds work in that it could be possible, whereas in star wars the engine of a single X-wing can go from tatoinne to degobah (sorry for poor spelling), and that isn't a problem in star wars- but it isn't possible and so is filed under science-fantasy :p

RivFader86

Jul 3, 2009
AlkalineGamer said:
Science FICTION
That says it all imo....although it should supply some sort of explenation of how something works...doesn't matter if it would be possible in the foreseeable future as long as it isn't "A wizard did it" ;P

CrunchyRay

Aug 3, 2010
Really the boundary between science fiction and fantasy is very blurred. There are valid arguments that Star Wars fits both genres.

First, readers will assume that the world is like reality unless noted. That is, people behave like people in the real world, they have emotions and believable reactions. Gravity pulls you down, people breathe air, and if you get injured badly enough you will die.

Second, whenever you cross the generally-understood boundaries of reality, you need to provide some sort of explanation, even if it's just a vague handwave. "The Force gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things." Oh, OK. That's why you can sense people and move objects with your mind. Or, "Our FTL drive can transport us instantly, but if you go too far in one jump you risk destroying the ship."

What irritates the audience is when the reality of the fictional world is different from ours without any explanation, and when the fictional rules the author creates are applied inconsistently. If gravity or the sun is different, then you can explain it by saying, "The story takes place on another planet." Or if time travel exists in your world, then it needs to be consistent in how it works (88 miles per hour, 1.21 gigawatts of electricity) and the effects of it (changing your past can cause you to erase your own existence).

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
AlkalineGamer said:

OP, I think you may be missing the point. It sounds like what you're describing is "hard science fiction," which in most cases is either so limited that it's very dull or has to by its very nature take some artistic liberties with the science.

As long as there is an understood set of theories and laws specific to the "universe" that the work of fiction is set in, and they don't drag down the story and characterization with info dumps ala Tom Clancy, sci-fi works. Hell, I loved District 9, but why the Hell would the alien fuel also turn people into Prawns? But I loved the movie anyway because it was original, compelling and moving. I had no idea when I saw it that it would turn out to be a movie about racism, and ultimately it was more important that District 9 portrayed this aspect of human existence realistically than it was to realistically portray science (although the racism felt at certain points a bit overblown).

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
I find that if you approach science fiction with a closed mind, you won't enjoy it at all.

That is to say, if you go into a sci-fi game, book or film with set notions of what is and isn't possible, then you'll be disappointed when the creators decide they want to play around with it a bit.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
The only limit should, in all honesty, be those self-imposed by people themselves. More people should use their imagination and creativity. Having said that though, as CrunchyRay points out, there needs to be consistency when utilising ideas and concepts instead of using them and/or ignoring them willy nilly. It just makes the more plausible regardless of how mind-boggling they are.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
It's up to the author and consumer what the rules are. Even the comment @Slycne made, whilst true for authorial discipline and self respect, is not true for the consumer. You may lose fans by changing but you may also gain some.

Personally; it's better to stick with whatever formula you have that you are happy with whilst also garnering a community, rather than trying to appeal to the widest possible audience.

A relevant example would be Peter F Hamilton's Nights Dawn trilogy compared to his Commonwealth Saga. One is, to me, Science-Fantasy whilst the other is Science-Fiction. Both are extremely enjoyable (if perhaps overly descriptive, not unlike JRR Tolkien) but my key point is that the line is different for each person.

Edit: Re-reading @Slycne 's comment I realise s/he was talking about within an established universe/set of rules (required!) and not seperate novels. Sorry for misunderstanding and suggesting, through implication, that you meant what I thought you did. Again, sorry.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
AlkalineGamer said:

Don't confuse science fiction and fantasy.

In general what makes science fiction sci-fi is that it involves some kind of theoretical model at work, and the story is about the theories as much as the characters and whatever adventures they might be having.

There is good science fiction, and there is bad science fiction, however reality does not limit it so much as consistincy. It's a valid approach to science fiction to come up with the idea that there might be something that violates normal laws of physics, or allows them to be violated, and then to follow that to it's logical conclusion. It's also valid to say "well, what if this bit that we accept as fact happens to be wrong" and then run with that as a theoretical concept. It all comes down to internal consistincy and a certain focus on theory.

The thing is that real scientists are disproven with some regularity. What is taken as an undeniable law of reality now, could be a joke in a century as more information comes to pass. What makes science fiction interesting is that in some cases (though by no means all) writers who were laughed at for the ridiculousness of their ideas at the time wound up becoming prophetic to an almost scary degree as certain assumptions fell by the wayside.

Right now we consider guys like Einstein sacred cows, but they are really no differant than what other scientists that had been disproven were before they had parts of their work refuted.

Now "Space Fantasy" doesn't even bother with any kind of theory of internal consistincy, stuff happens because it's cool, and that can be obnoxious when people try and present it as science fiction... largely because of the space ships and ray guns. That leads to a lot of problems when people look for some kind of underlying logic, where there isn't any, things largely being determined by whatever sounds good at the moment, and covered under techno-babble if something scientific is supposed to be taking place.