Lindsey Stirling Discussion

njrk97

May 30, 2011
I noticed this on her youtube channel and had been a fan of her music since 'Shadows' of course with her 'moon trance' video a lot of comparisons were made to Thriller granted i still really enjoyed the song and the video to a extent, however i can really appreciate this new video and song more. I love the style of it and the concept of the video is really cool aswell.

So discussion value. What do you think of her music and music videos?

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
Cheap, boring, neutered, sterile, cliched.

It reminds me of all those obscure eastern European acts that stick an electronic beat over traditional folk music thinking it's genius whereas in reality you lose all the culture and history of the folk music and all the energy and enthusiasm of the electronic music.
And what's with the female voice singing "da da da da when the stars align." It feels completely out of place and shoehorned in there.

It's like a committee sat round a table and said to themselves "Hey remember everything that was rubbish about dance music in the 90's? Well let's bring all of that back."

Oh and the video ends with the random plugging of a tablet app because who need artistic integrity eh?

Then again, I'm making all these judgements from one song and video........

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
I liked 'Shadows' so much that I bought it and made it my ringtone.
How could you not link it?
I think she's quite a talented musician.
She's even made a couple of videos with FreedieW and co.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I liked the Ice Castle song or whatever her really big hit song was. Other than that, I wasn't impressed.

Though I havn't looked into it myself, I've had a couple vionlinest I know say that her dancing during concerts is pretty much impossible to do without making the violin go out of tune or something.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
I like her stuff. I can't say there's anything she's done on her youtube channel I have disliked, though as with every single other artist I've ever listed to, there are songs I have no strong feelings for. Her Skyrim stuff with Peter Hollens is great, her other video game stuff is fun and I love her cover of Radioactive with Penatonix more than I like the original version. (also a much better video, imo) All in all I'm probably going to buy a few of her albums in the near future.

Rob Robson

Feb 21, 2013
The entire girl is a walking gimmick IMO, if she has any talent it's almost always drowned out in posturing and fan service. She is far from even the top 80% most talented people on YouTube, so the attention she is getting is annoying and disproportionate.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
Her violin abilities are very impressive, her music videos are a bit showy for my tastes.

And she makes an adorable Link.

Kieve

Jan 4, 2011
Wow, more hate than I expected to see in this thread. o_O
Been a fan since Pandora snuck some of her tunes into my playlist, a year or so back - might not be everyone's cup of tea, but violin + electronica makes for an interesting and uniquely recognizable sound.

Plus, she's an actual musician and artist, which is more than I can say for most of the disposable poptarts we've been inundated with.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Never heard of her. Judging from the videos above her music is crappy and boring. Also her dancing makes me cringe; it seems kind of grotesque. Is that on purpose?

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Smeatza said:
I feel the same sentiments, looks and sounds like manufactured garbage with no heart. She may be an adequate violinist, but the rest of that mess was utterly forgettable to the point of eye-rolling. I even tend to like traditional instrumental influences meshed with more modern sounds, but this was, as you said, sterile.

Oh and the video ends with the random plugging of a tablet app because who need artistic integrity eh?
I didn't make it that far, once her back-up dancers started really getting into it I decided I'd had enough. Too bad too, she seems like she might be talented enough to make something better. I'm sure her music will make tons though, this seems right up there with the best "flavor of the moment" type acts.

Jaximus Decimus

Sep 10, 2013
The dancing while playing the violin is really turning me off. I mean, what is this even supposed to be? If you're an amazing violinist and your music is compelling you don't need to dance to keep my attention. This is just distracting. I feel like I would get more out of the experience without the videos.

Smeatza said:
She seems like she can play quite well, but I have to agree with all of this. Oh well. Apparently some people really like this, so good for them.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
As soon as the violin started, my ears begun to bleed, seriously though that violin was so grating, I love the violin but this really sucked. Turned it off after a minute

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Elfgore said:
Though I havn't looked into it myself, I've had a couple vionlinest I know say that her dancing during concerts is pretty much impossible to do without making the violin go out of tune or something.
It is. Imagine trying to saw something with a table saw while on a galloping horse falling off a cliff. I saw a celtic concert once, and the fiddler couldn't do much more than bend her knees and walk.

OT: I thought this was going to relate to Jim somehow. o__O

It was OK. I'm a fan of acoustic and electronic getting in bed together, but the electronic beat was too slow and underplayed. The vocals were a bad idea. The violin was great, though. It's perfectly listenable.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Kieve said:
Wow, more hate than I expected to see in this thread. o_O
Been a fan since Pandora snuck some of her tunes into my playlist, a year or so back - might not be everyone's cup of tea, but violin + electronica makes for an interesting and uniquely recognizable sound.

Plus, she's an actual musician and artist, which is more than I can say for most of the disposable poptarts we've been inundated with.
I think it's because the electronica part sounds far too derivative. If there was more going on than rather than a simple violin tune over the top of some bland electronic music, I don't think people would be so hard on it. Toss in some really cliche visual styling and the whole video comes off as cheap and gimmicky. I don't know enough to make a judgement about the artist herself, maybe she actually rises above some of these criticisms in other pieces of her work, but if this is a solid indication of things, she's a possibly talented musician crushed under mediocrity. Just one man's opinion here.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Gorrath said:
I didn't make it that far, once her back-up dancers started really getting into it I decided I'd had enough. Too bad too, she seems like she might be talented enough to make something better. I'm sure her music will make tons though, this seems right up there with the best "flavor of the moment" type acts.
Don't worry, the app has absolutely nothing to do with anything in the rest of the video. It's just a random plug tacked on the end.

I've got to add my name to the list of those unimpressed but I don't like dance/whatever music anyway so I suppose it's not aimed at me to begin with. Plus the video is kind of dumb, not that I would be able to come up with something better unless a bear wearing an rainbow afro wig and eating a birthday cake could pass as a music video. Just throw in some random wub wub, lens flare and dancers I guess.

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
I liked her Zelda Medley...

Though a lot of her stuff I'm turned away from due to the electronic stuff added over the Violins (The dancing isn't terribly good and looks quite silly especially with how obviously fake the playing is during the dancing...)

As far as youtube Violinists go, I prefer Taylor Davis...