Lindsey Stirling Discussion

NoOne852

The Friendly Neighborhood Nobody
Sep 12, 2011
She has some good music, some i think could be better, but i think she is a good artist overall abd she is doing what she loves. (That is dancing and playing) so i also respect her for taking creative risks with her music even if it doesnt turn out so well.
Her style isnt for everyone, but i like most of her music and will be looking forward to seeing her perform in concert this summer.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
I am a big fan. Was disappointed that she didn't come to my city on her Australian tour, I would probably have gone to her concert. I think her music is nice and upbeat and several of her songs (e.g. Shadows) I really love. She has done some great collaborations with other artists too.

Also her music videos are excellent. Elements and Shadows are probably my favorite of those.

Fairy Fatale

Mar 7, 2013
At the very beginning of her career, I found her novel and clever. Now I just sort of tune her out. She's got one or two good songs (that is, songs that I like) and the rest just seems... bleh. Don't get me wrong: she's very talented, and I can't deny her that, but I find myself unimpressed.

She IS really, really cute. She's got that spunky hipster thing going on, and that makes me purr. She's definitely riding that cuteness (along with her talent) to the bank, but beyond that... nah. It's very telling when I won't listen to her music unless I can watch her videos at the same time.

Bayman

Jan 29, 2013
I like Ms. Stirling, first song I heard from her was Crystallize which I thought was good. I think she's talented and her music is catchy and lastly I like her dancing since it seems like she's having fun.

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
Found her through her crossover with Pentatonix, in Imagine Dragons... and the only other video of hers I keep going back to is the Phantom Medley, because Phantom of the Opera, and other than that, I don't really care. She's okay, but the dancing throws me off...
Captcha: Kick back and relax
Usually do, captcha, especially when I have Lindsey Stirling on in another tab...

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
She's very, very good. However, there isn't enough variety from one song to another for me to enjoy more than maybe one or two songs. I have a few more music-nerdy thoughts on it, but I don't think they'll add much here.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Fuck it, enough strong negativity here, so I'm not going to feed it.

I like her style, she has talent and I dig what she's going for. I like how she's trying to put her own signature on these videos rather then aping tried and tested formulas.

But certain things aren't executed too well, or just plain don't work for her (the dancing mainly).

Overall, I'll definitely check out her other stuff and future content, but I'm not invested enough to buy her music. Hope she aims to improve and doesn't plateau at what I've seen... she shows way too much potential to max out with those videos.

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
Music-wise, I think she's talented and I enjoy some of her songs and covers, however I can't put up with the gimmicky videos and the silly dancing. I'd rather just hear her music or see her standing there playing.

So, on that note, she's ok, but I prefer Taylor Davis on violin.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Liked her at first. Songs like 'Shadows', 'Elements', and 'Crystallise' were catchy and original. Though, despite the best of efforts; dubstep and classical will never mix. However, bonus points for trying, and that was what I liked. Anyone that tries to fuse to disparate genres and then pull it off; brilliant. However, she has in recent months taken the easy route. Instead of pushing the boundaries of music - she has succumbed to cheap gimmicks. Which is a real shame.
There have been few people that have ever tried to attempt to mix older genres (jazz or classical) with modern electronic music - dance or otherwise. Fewer still have had the skill to pull it off. Those that I can think of include:-
Venetian Snares (Classical, jazz mixed with avant drum and base - no really)
Nightwish (Opera Metal)
Caravan Palace (Gypsy Jazz mixed with continental electro-house)
Portishead (though slightly older - vocal jazz mixed with hip-hop)
There aren't many.

Blazing Steel

Sep 22, 2008
Quite like her music. It's miles from what I usually listen to so I find it quite refreshing when she pops up in my playlist.

Shadows is one I quite like along with:

Now I love her which some other artist's sounds:

And:

Oh and personally I don't watch her videos, but the dancing ain't great but if she enjoys it I'm not one to judge.

Comocat

May 24, 2012
I like her music and her videos are kind of quirky and fun. I'm surprised at the strong opinions for an artist who promotes videos via youtube. It's not like she has Madonna level production values here.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
didn't work for me. nothing really against it, just not my thing, seemed kinda dull if i'm honest

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
I'm completely music illiterate, So I don't think I really I have a very developed opinion on what is good or not.

I never listened to music growing up (too busy playing video games which have their own audio) and I have always hated celebrity culture so I never end up paying attention that way ether.

I probably wouldn't even know if you sat the current number one artist in the world down next to me. The only ones I know a the infamous ones that you can't exist in the western world without knowing about (like Michael Jackson, Briteny Spears ect).

That said I have started to listen to music whilst travailing on trains to work, or when working (normally when I'm scripting or coding databases, helps block out co-workers being distracting). And I do have few Lindsey Stirling videos in my youtube music playlist, I tend to go for songs without singing and do seem to like classical instruments. The majority of the vidoes in my playlist are 1-10 hours long "epic music" or "epic battle music" And I have some Miracle of Sound thrown in there amongst others.

So most I say is that I don't dislike her music, if I did I wouldn't have it my playlist.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
I like her violin, but I'd rather turn on her music and let it play in the background than watch the video. Her dancing just kind of puts me off. I've always been a fan of the violin (and in my favorite form, the fiddle), but I prefer less poppy music.

I'm trying to say it's nice, OP.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
I've noticed her every once in awhile on youtube, she's worked hard so i can appreciate this video.
As far as violin music goes i prefer Shira Kammen (thanks Braid), and that one Bond song Explosive but it hasn't aged well, sounds super corny now.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Jaximus Decimus said:
The dancing while playing the violin is really turning me off. I mean, what is this even supposed to be? If you're an amazing violinist and your music is compelling you don't need to dance to keep my attention. This is just distracting. I feel like I would get more out of the experience without the videos.

Smeatza said:
Cheap, boring, neutered, sterile, cliched.
She seems like she can play quite well, but I have to agree with all of this. Oh well. Apparently some people really like this, so good for them.
The sad thing with this is that I agree with you about her skills with the violin, but with all the other things mixed in, the beat, the dancers, the shifting background and the techno just turns me off. She seems talented, but it's not my kind of thing.

Harleykin

Sep 11, 2013
looked at the first video.
saw the first coment about it being sterile.
felt the same way.
oh a second video? might be something diffrent?
exactly the same thing.

is every song of her's a well played violin (as far as i can judge it's played well i dunno)
with that heartless thumping in the background?
i'd have a problem with this then because i can just see some idiot sitting at a table going "well it's nice but the tweens can't dance to it if there ain't no beat going on biatch"

give me sth. analog and put 90's techno bass on it and you lost me.

if it got string's and it ain't electric it better be (the old) apocalyptica (for me)

edit: changed it from king of the mountain hall (wich is awesome) to nothing else matters

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Ragsnstitches said:
Fuck it, enough strong negativity here, so I'm not going to feed it.
That makes it like you're not sharing your opinion, but rather just going against whatever was already posted because... reasons?

Personally, while I'll admit she has potential, I feel it's being wasted away on stuff that you're likely to forget the moment you stop listening.
She is an awesome person as far as one can tell though, so she might get better.