Lisa Foiles still has a show. Why...?

bz316

Feb 10, 2010
I feel like I may have given off the wrong impression with my original post. I'm not trying to personally attack her or tell others to stop enjoying her show, I guess I was looking for what it was that got other people interested in it.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Lono Shrugged said:
Pretty much everyone defending her has commented on her appearance. Funny how people defending Jim Sterling or the no right answer guys don't mention their attractiveness.
Er, lots of people mention Mr. Sterling's attractiveness. For good reason, too, he's sexy as fuck.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
sanquin said:
Ed130 said:
Because her top 5 was better than the other one that was on The Escapist.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/top-5-friday

Seriously, after these were put up people were begging for Lisa Foiles to come back.
Just proof to me that most people watch it because of the hot chick presenting it. No disrespect to Lisa. She's pretty and doesn't use her cleavage or something like that to attract viewers. But I still think that because she's female and very good looking, so many people 'like' her. Disagree with me all you want, but that's just how I see it.
Not really, I watched the 'Worst Video Game Romances' for a lark and ignored the series after rant about Zevran that stopped just short of being homophobic.

And lets not get started on the 'Mrs Pac Man is a transvestite' theory he came up with...

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Anita Sarkeesian makes a video series criticising video games. People get annoyed.

The conclusion people make? "It's because she is a woman".

Lisa Foiles makes a Top 5 list video series. People like it.

It's amazing how simple minded so many assume that men are. That the quality of a video series means nothing to them, only what gender the person hosting it is.

Pretty sexist don'tcha think?

bz316

Feb 10, 2010
Legion said:
Anita Sarkeesian makes a video series criticising video games. People get annoyed.

It's amazing how simple minded so many assume that men are. That the quality of a video series means nothing to them, only what gender the person hosting it is.

In my quest to determine what the appeal of Lisa Foiles' show is, I fear I may have opened a Pandora's Box of bullshit. I regret my decision :(

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
bz316 said:
Legion said:

In my quest to determine what the appeal of Lisa Foiles' show is, I fear I may have opened a Pandora's Box of bullshit. I regret my decision :(
If it makes you feel any better, you could have made a thread called "I like cute kittens and puppies, how about you?" and similar results probably would have ensued.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I watch her Top 5 because the videos are entertaining and she is affable, charming and sincere in her delivery. Sure, she's easy on the eyes and that helps but it's certainly not the primary reason I watch.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
I definitely am not fond of her Top 5 show, but damn she is a really talented caster, and her work (that awesome Zelda meet Western movie etc ...Game reviews etc ...) on Thegamestation is pretty impressive.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Im honestly kind of confused by the amount of people convinced her looks/gender are the only reason people are watching. This is the internet, folks, it aint exactly hard to find much better looking women showing off much more. I mean sure, it doesn't hurt, but it's very far from being the sole reason or the main reason.

I watch it because it's pretty much the opposite of Yahtzee and Sterling. Where they are serious and cynical she is silly and light hearted and self deprecating.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Ed130 said:
Not really, I watched the 'Worst Video Game Romances' for a lark and ignored the series after rant about Zevran that stopped just short of being homophobic.

And lets not get started on the 'Mrs Pac Man is a transvestite' theory he came up with...
Like I said, my opinion. So yes really. Because it's my opinion, not yours.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
She has a show because it's good and people watch it. Don't like it? Don't watch it. I'm not a fan of No Right Answer, so I avoid it and watch the other content that is available. Others enjoy it and so it remains in the evil grasp of The Escapist empire.

I've learned of a few games, consoles and characters from watching her show so there is a kind of educational aspect to it and because her Top 5s are her opinion it opens the floor for discussion. Go to the comment section on her videos and you find people posting their own lists.

Is she attractive? Yes. Does she use that to her advantage? Yes. Is that a bad thing? No. She is a genuine gamer, she knows what she is talking about and has a valid opinion on the lists she makes. I'd rather watch a top # video with an attractive female gamer than a random piss soaked tramp with a scraggley beard.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
00slash00 said:
i agree. i watched a few episodes before and have no desire to watch more, now that shes back. shes an attractive girl and this site has a lot of teenage boys on it. thats about it.
No. That is not about it. You may speak for yourself, because that is your opinion and you should be proud of it. But don't go around 'explaining' why everybody else likes or dislikes her. If you can't look past her figure, that's your POV, not mine.

Again, I cannot emphasize this enough. The reason for which some people like her videos is the same reason for which some others don't: it's their opinion.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
A Weakgeek said:
Two reasons.

1. Her left boobie.

2. Her right boobie.

And her making these type of videos creates this sort of "girl down next door" effect, and people start having E crushes.

EDIT: I also find it funny that people are so openly supportive of her despite raging against objectification in videogames. Is it ok because its her own choice, while videogame characters can't choose by themselves?
Is what OK? What is it that Lisa Foiles "chose"? Do women have to be ugly for it to be acceptable for them to make videos, or something? I'm seriously not following you at all.

OT: I watch her show because I find it funny, in an unusual lighthearted way.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
00slash00 said:
i agree. i watched a few episodes before and have no desire to watch more, now that shes back. shes an attractive girl and this site has a lot of teenage boys on it. thats about it.
No. That is not about it. You may speak for yourself, because that is your opinion and you should be proud of it. But don't go around 'explaining' why everybody else likes or dislikes her. If you can't look past her figure, that's your POV, not mine.

Again, I cannot emphasize this enough. The reason for which some people like her videos is the same reason for which some others don't: it's their opinion.
well thats my theory, considering neither her content or her personality are anything interesting or special (based on what ive seen of her reviews and top 5 videos). feel free to express your theory but from what ive seen in both her videos and comments to her videos, im somewhat skeptical that she would have the same popularity if she were a man or an unattractive woman.

but as i said, the fact that i dont like her videos does not mean i want her off the site. some people like her videos and thats great. her presence here doesnt impact me one way or another

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Lono Shrugged said:
Pretty much everyone defending her has commented on her appearance. Funny how people defending Jim Sterling or the no right answer guys don't mention their attractiveness.
Er, lots of people mention Mr. Sterling's attractiveness. For good reason, too, he's sexy as fuck.
Who wouldn't do Jim? All those rippling muscles. :p

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
SkarKrow said:
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Lono Shrugged said:
Who wouldn't do Jim? All those rippling muscles. :p
I'd turn for Jim. I need to take a cold shower after every jimquisition.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
KubuTsukareta said:
Lisa Foiles is a genuinely delightful person. If you'll allow me, I shall now explain how she is much more watchable than the Escapist's other female video host, Ashley Esqueda.
Now, this has nothing to do with their level of hotness. That doesn't matter and never will. But it is my opinion that Lisa is much more lively than Ashley. The former puts so much energy into her performance and exudes joy and excitement, whereas the latter just smiles as she reads from the script she memorised. I'm sure Ashley is a genuine girl gamer, but when I watch her vids all I can think of is plastic.
Few people on the internet have such personality and charm as our Top Five gal pal, and that's why we love her.
Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and agree with you. I would go more into detail, but I doubt the mods would approve of the way I would.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
bz316 said:
"I don't want to say it out loud, but Cracked is a much better entertainment site."
I might be wrong, but this is how I chose to interpret your post. The long and short of it is that different gaming and entertainment websites exist. They have different slants and cover content in ways that differ from one another. Lisa Foiles is one of the Internet's *hundreds" of game-related content creators.

I like her stuff, and it's your right not to agree. With that in mind, why not go check something else out? I'll let you like what you like if you let me like what I like.

Deal?

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Likes video games: Check

Is attractive: Check

Arranges things by list: Check

Bubbly personality: Check

Funny: Check

Why would ANYONE like Lisa Foiles? It makes no sense to me!

To answer the threads real question: Yes, obviously her being a pretty girl is a factor in her popularity, but it's hardly the whole story. She's actually a really good presenter, as in she has a comfortableness and naturalness to her delivery that I don't think anyone else on the site can match.